• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation TV (Vita TV) officially discontinued in Japan

meronpan

Neo Member
I cannot believe it. Biggest disappointment for me in the last decade regarding hardware.

I was there on day 1 in Japan, even pre-ordered, thinking that there will be a big run, bought two more for friends and now that piece of crap is a dust collector on my shelf. Should have sold it on Ebay right after release, when a date for Europe was not even talked about. Well...

you are missing out if you've never played killzone mercenary on vita tv with ds4, u can still get multiplayer games.
although it sucks balls when i tried to get unit 13 on it, it is not compatible. what a shame.

koutoru

Did anyone buy this?

If so, why?

Because I find it easier to play Vita games on my 22 inch monitor with a DS4 rather than a 5 inch oled screen.
Nearly all of the vita games I played post PSTV launch were white listed and compatibility wasn't really an issue for me.

Did anyone buy this?

If so, why?

I enjoy the shit out of my Vita and can play most of the Vita/PSP/PS1 games I own for it on a TV with a controller, with a tiny little box if I want to. I also occasionally use it stream PS4 into another room. Why wouldn't I have bought it?

in our heads and hearts it made sense, they would ditch proprietary memories for sd cards and it would play netflix and vita games with your ps4 controller
You thought VitaTV was going to include a switch to SD? Lol. That was never going to happen.

All the device needed was a blacklist for titles that absolutely couldn't work(tearaway) and a warning on boot that playability of certain titles may be hampered due to emulated touch screen.

There's just far too many games that aren't supported.

Whitelisting killed it. The idiocy in that is still unbelievable.

Sony fucked up on Vita seven ways to Sunday. Whitelisting was just a small part.

That being said I would buy a PSTV given the current deals if I was sure I could play any Vita game on it.

Qwark

I wouldn't be surprised if it was quietly killed, but can someone explain what is so definitive about this? It says 'Shipment completion', why should we take that to mean that it's officially discontinued?

Shame. I have a PSTV, don't use it much though, prefer the handheld. I mainly bought it to future-proof most of my games (well, at least the compatible ones) as consoles tend to last longer than handhelds for me.

I really wanted it to do well, but I could see it failing as soon as it was announced really. Having seen how Sony handle multiple failed devices and peripherals in the past, there was no way the PSTV in 2013/2014, 1-2 years after Vita was failing everywhere else, was going to get the support it needed.

Moofers

I own 2 PS/Vita TV units. Got great deals on both. One with lego, 8gb card, and a dual shock for $40. The other was just the console for $15 (ebay).

They are great. I can play PSP and Vita games on tv and I love that. I am actually going to use them to stream on twitch which is something the handheld Vita cant do.

baconcow

Sony sent the Vita to die, long ago, and this was a side effect of that. Thi was dead before it was even released. I still enjoyed some good Persona 4 Golden and La Mulana DX on it. Very sad for a system that still has a lot of potential.

Ogawa-san

It would be cool if it Could be hacked to run Kodi
Might as well grab a Raspberry PI and install OSMC. Smaller, cheaper and better in every way.

In fact, everything someone would want from a hacked PSTV would be better done by a RPI.

Clive

Might as well grab a Raspberry PI and install OSMC. Smaller, cheaper and better in every way.

In fact, everything someone would want from a hacked PSTV would be better done by a RPI.

Well, except playing blacklisted Vita games on your TV. Some people are also not comfortable with downloading or ripping ISOs and it could also potentially get you in trouble.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was quietly killed, but can someone explain what is so definitive about this? It says 'Shipment completion', why should we take that to mean that it's officially discontinued?

That's the Google translation. It's actually more like "shipment ended"

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Did anyone buy this?

If so, why?

I paid less than $50 for it.

Maybe it'll become some niche collector's thing that people talk about and want to buy in like 10-15 years, like the Sega Nomad or something.

Qwark

That's the Google translation. It's actually more like "shipment ended"

Still, have they used similar verbiage before? As unlikely as it is, how do we know they're not just coming out with a new model? I don't understand how we can say this is "official".

marmoka

Banned
I got to play Persona 4 Golden for under $60 total.

No regrets.

Persona 4 Golden is compatible? I thought it wasn't. I don't have a Vita, and that's the only game that gets my interest from that console (Gravity Rush too, but I have it for PS4).

I don't think it's worth spending 60 € + the game's price just for one game. If I find the hardware second hand, and good price, I will perhaps give it a chance.

Still, have they used similar verbiage before? As unlikely as it is, how do we know they're not just coming out with a new model? I don't understand how we can say this is "official".

Yes when Sony disconuited the PSP and PS2 they didn't issue PR either. They just updated the product page.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Thats because you used google translate...

It actually says "shipment finished/ended"

Ludens

Banned
Sold mine this morning for 20€ (I paid 27 for it with a 4 GB memory card).
It was here, collecting dust and doing nothing. I played a bunch of PS1 games on it, but I can do the same with my PS3.
I had no games if not the one given on Plus, but 90% of them is not compatible, so I prefer getting 20 instead of a piece of hardware sealed in my closet.

Lime

My favorite part about the Vita TV is how Sony shot it in its knee caps when the thing launched by doing that god awful whitelist bullshit.

Persona 4 Golden is compatible? I thought it wasn't. I don't have a Vita, and that's the only game that gets my interest from that console (Gravity Rush too, but I have it for PS4).

I don't think it's worth spending 60 € + the game's price just for one game. If I find the hardware second hand, and good price, I will perhaps give it a chance.
Yes, it works fine. People should also try Oreshika. It looks good on tv.

VLiberty

Most of those posts were right, it sounded like a great idea. If only Sony weren't crap this could have stood a chance...but they are and they managed to fuck this up in every conceivable way

I've got it brand new for 20€ and it's absolutely useless. It's not just about that bullshit blacklist, it's also about the lack of media apps, the lack of actual internal storage, lack of 1080p support, lack of support for most third party DS3.

I wish I could use it as a PS4 bridge to my PS3 vga monitor but it doesn't even support the hdmi-vga adapter. Fuck this.

thenexus6

This had the potential to be awesome.

If they were able to make all vita games compatible via the DS4, and I now its out of Sony's hands but manage to get apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc this would've been killer.

I have a vita but don't use it much because I find it a little uncomfortable / the tiny sticks and shoulder buttons are horrible. I would've got a PS TV no questions.

Top Bottom