• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

scoobs

All stealth will always be toxic in a QM scenario, because you can't draft to prepare for it and your team will always be a bunch of instantly-dead assassins for stealthies to feast on.

Alur

She fun af though. Legit felt like a rogue. The skin's colors (base) look great in game which makes it more fun to play as her. I'm not a big tits and ass in my video games fan myself, either, but I honestly think it's way better than we initially thought.

HOLD MY BEER IM BOUT TO GO AMBUSH (PS DONT LOOK AT MY LEGS YOU CREEP)

scoobs

I'm drawing up some Valeera "fan art" as we speak. Leggings will not be involved.

Edit: finished my masterpiece
6WkAVTy.png

brian!

No tass was for protect comps w/ stuff like illidan and sonya, his shield was ~3x times stronger than zaryas and he is the best pick against single target burst like zera

the e refresh on archon is actually really cool im glad they put that in, happy to be playing archon again
im really feeling the cd change on q, but it's ludicrous on live so i cant hate

Ketch

No tass was for protect comps w/ stuff like illidan and sonya, his shield was ~3x times stronger than zaryas and he is the best pick against single target burst like zera

the e refresh on archon is actually really cool im glad they put that in, happy to be playing archon again

And the free shield too. It sounds like it keep the talents too.

Alur

Valeera was so fun I almost want to use my level 100 boost on a rogue in WoW.

Like no one is streaming her atm which is weird.

scoobs

big streamers were playing her earlier, but PTR queue times are like 50 minutes so that's probably contributing to nobody playing

Alur

The big streamers just create customs with their channels in my experience. Shouldn't hamper them at all.

scoobs

The big streamers just create customs with their channels in my experience. Shouldn't hamper them at all.
Not exactly surprising. The big HOTS streamers are Hero League all stars and would rather grind HL than play the PTR. Grubby, mewn, chu8 always do this.

Alur

Most of us would consider Smite more direct competition for HOTS than League or Dota 2, right? Even though HOTS slots in at number 3, Smite is still lingering there and esports wise it does post some decent numbers for tournaments. I was browsing gaming community and the Smite thread still only has 122 pages on it's first OT created in 2014. I don't even understand how that's possible but maybe updates are far less frequent or something. I didn't play it long enough to know.

Anyway, so far I've seen Kaeyoh and McIntyre talking up Garrote build for Valeera. Also seen a lot of talk about Sinister Strike. That ability definitely didn't work like I expected. The little dash is a godsend for her sticking to a target and/or escaping when necessary.

brian!

Smite should have competitive numbers w/ hots, on twitch at least it often beats out hots due to more frequent tournaments + few popular hots streamers, and apparently has been pretty profitable off it's model, tho im sure paladins is raking in the dough for them now so theyll shift focus a bit

Also lol at cavalier guest on reddit

Alavard

Valeera actually surprised me. I expected her to be really boring, in the vein of Nova, or at least not my play-style at all, like Zeratul. She actually feels fairly interesting to me, and I love the combo design.

However, I think I'm going to wait a month or two before I pick her up. I've got some other important heroes in the current meta that I want to focus on improving with - Dehaka and Tychus being the first two that spring to mind.

Ketch

Feel like smite is going downhill while hits is going up.

Hear lots of stuff about smites poor management....... but hear the same shit about every other game ever too I guess.

brian!

Yeah this year is a hots push, end of year will tell
Wonder if hirez will do the sick paladins/smite cross promotion like blizz did, they have a lot less employees tho

scoobs

I am a little surprised at the viewership of HOTS on twitch since the Overwatch event. I knew it would go up, but its consistently in the top 10 now, and it almost never was before. That Overwatch event very clearly reinvigorated the playerbase. Makes me feel good about the future of the game. Not that I care that much personally, I'm going to play it regardless, because I fucking love this game, but its still nice to see it doing better.

Kioshen

Most of us would consider Smite more direct competition for HOTS than League or Dota 2, right? Even though HOTS slots in at number 3, Smite is still lingering there and esports wise it does post some decent numbers for tournaments. I was browsing gaming community and the Smite thread still only has 122 pages on it's first OT created in 2014. I don't even understand how that's possible but maybe updates are far less frequent or something. I didn't play it long enough to know.

Anyway, so far I've seen Kaeyoh and McIntyre talking up Garrote build for Valeera. Also seen a lot of talk about Sinister Strike. That ability definitely didn't work like I expected. The little dash is a godsend for her sticking to a target and/or escaping when necessary.

Isn't Smite a 3rd person moba ? Smite direct competition is more likely Paragon than HOTS. It might be more possible that Smite just hasn't resonated with the GAF community and we're a bunch of passionate, talkative people about HOTS.

On the other hand, the Tassadar rework doesn't seem to have received much positive feedback after people have been trying him out on the PTR. Lots and lots of typing running around in the subreddit.

brian!

There are some valid points and a lot of invalid points that dont look big picture coming out of reddit w/r/t the rework, like im here reading long ass posts graphing out how q and w are weaker (no shit) and very few posts contextualize tass as previously imbalanced and having a disruptive effect on drafting.

brian!

Yeah that's an odd interaction that almost sounds like a bug, but i dont think they ever wanted dbl stacked shield to be a possibility (like im fairly certain the lvl 20 talent will have the same interaction)

I disagree w/ a slew of things in that post kio, but the tone of it is a lot more practical than others

brian!

W/r/t the autoattack, i also dont like how it feels, but ppl forget that the old distortion beam maxed dmg/slow via stutter stepping and that it resulted in near-perma slow, but had to compete w/ an op talent, like this is not something you give to someone at lvl 1.

scoobs

So here's what will happen with the Tassadar rework...

It will take people about 2 or 3 weeks to realize new Tass is OP, and until then it will be nothing but bitching and moaning about the rework on Reddit and the forums. Blizz will buff him as a response to this, thus making Tass completely and utterly broken, then Blizz will nerf him, and then nobody will play him again. Then Blizz will buff him in 6 months to get people to play him again and the cycle will begin again.

Kioshen

Yeah that's an odd interaction that almost sounds like a bug, but i dont think they ever wanted dbl stacked shield to be a possibility (like im fairly certain the lvl 20 talent will have the same interaction)

I disagree w/ a slew of things in that post kio, but the tone of it is a lot more practical than others

For an explanation for the double stacking nature is that when the main shield expires, it creates a new instance of the shield at half the strength. Since the residue is a "new" shield, you can add another main one on top. Once the quest is finished, there's no new instance applied so you can't over stack like you could before and it results in less shield overall once the quest is completed.

I didn't say the dude was right all across the board but at least it's a measured response that can foster more discussion. I didn't play enough Tassadar to have an opinion either way but I sure hope what the devs say is true where the community generates more data in one day than them in 3 months. It should give them more data to work with and tweak the numbers as required if they want to go ahead with it.

brian!

Oh yeah i didnt mean to put words in your mouth, just old man yelling at redditing, i think that post is pretty calm and collected even if i disagree w/ a bunch of the stuff it says

The shield interaction is half blessing half wtf, like on one hand it's good that we don't get 40 seconds of preshielding plus the oppurtunity to dbl the amount during the fight, but on the other hand wtf the 2nd tier reward is booty

Alur

Smite should have competitive numbers w/ hots, on twitch at least it often beats out hots due to more frequent tournaments + few popular hots streamers, and apparently has been pretty profitable off it's model, tho im sure paladins is raking in the dough for them now so theyll shift focus a bit

I don't see Smite often beating HOTS on Twitch at all. I've seen it above HOTS when they've had Worlds or one of their bigger tournaments, but their run of the mill league does worse than HOTS qualifiers did last year which did worse than HOTS qualifiers did the year before. I follow it on Twitch and def feel like it's general streaming viability (ie: the chu8's, mewn's, etc of the world) is way less outside of when events are happening and it's not even like HOTS viability there is great, it's just way better than Smite's.

Yeah this year is a hots push, end of year will tell
Wonder if hirez will do the sick paladins/smite cross promotion like blizz did, they have a lot less employees tho

They are coming out with Smite Tactics next so I dunno, hard to tell. It's in beta now. Turn based game with cards as part of the gimmick.

Isn't Smite a 3rd person moba ? Smite direct competition is more likely Paragon than HOTS. It might be more possible that Smite just hasn't resonated with the GAF community and we're a bunch of passionate, talkative people about HOTS.

Nah, man. 3rd person MOBA has nothing to do with it IMO. I mean if we're going that criteria, you're exactly right, but I'm just talking about MOBA as a genre in general.

Based on success these two are much closer than HOTS is to League or Dota who are the next up the chain. It's something like League >>> Dota 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HOTS >> Smite >> whatever else in popularity based on what data we have. They are all making money which is great, but there's a clear pecking order. I wonder if Paragon is firmly #5 now or is it not doing well? I haven't kept up since they basically changed everything (map size, etc) a little bit back.

Obviously we have a healthy number of people talking regularly about the game in our thread, just surprises me that there's so little action by comparison in the Smite thread when it's really not all that far behind in the grand scheme of things.

Kioshen

Nah, man. 3rd person MOBA has nothing to do with it IMO. I mean if we're going that criteria, you're exactly right, but I'm just talking about MOBA as a genre in general.

Based on success these two are much closer than HOTS is to League or Dota who are the next up the chain. It's something like League >>> Dota 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HOTS >> Smite >> whatever else in popularity based on what data we have. They are all making money which is great, but there's a clear pecking order. I wonder if Paragon is firmly #5 now or is it not doing well? I haven't kept up since they basically changed everything (map size, etc) a little bit back.

Obviously we have a healthy number of people talking regularly about the game in our thread, just surprises me that there's so little action by comparison in the Smite thread when it's really not all that far behind in the grand scheme of things.

According to this chart, they look pretty close footprint wise. If we compare activity between here and the weekly fighting game thread, you would think fighting games were at the top of the world right now haha. I'd wager it's just that the game just hasn't resonated with the GAF crowd or didn't have enough momentum to build a small but critical mass of people talking about it. Perhaps the main community hang out in smite forums or reddit I dunno.

brian!

I def see smite top hots sort of on the regular on twitch, but their pro players actually stream and try to entertain at reasonable hours too, id wager smite has a more hardcore fanbase (pro players getting hits) vs. the casual base of hots (entertainers getting hits), which seems sort of natural when you consider the types of games they are

Alur

I honestly haven't noticed it all, especially not since the fall prior to the event like scoobs was saying.. Maybe I'm just missing it, but I keep a pretty regular check. There's usually like 1 dude with 800-1000 views and then a bunch of nothing notable. Not even much of the 200, 300, 400's we have.

EDIT: Like right now, for instance. It's pulling 500 more viewers than HOTS with two dudes over 1k (one over 2k actually) which I don't see very often. Apparently he's reviewing patch notes. But no HOTS streamer is online. Rich is on pulling 1k though, which is kind of surprising since he doesn't speak English.

brian!

I wouldnt use this as a definitive example since it's like 11 am, but currently the top smite stream is retired pro incon holding dbl the amount of viewers as top hots stream "best in the world" rich (and it's full of korean viewers). Once mewn and co. begin itll be different for sure

W/r/t amount of players? Id def say hots has more, jury's out on profits tho

Alur

I really don't think so. A $30 buy in to get every hero and then just forget about it versus a $22 bundle once a month plus some other skins and stuff (or just $10 a month for a hero, if you'd like)? Pretty much no way HOTS isn't pantsing that based on sheer volume of releases plus their own brand power alone.

brian!

Smite has bundles and cash heroes too...and gifting!
Anecdotally, someone gifted me the gods in smite (because it's "too good of a deal") and ive spent 0 dollars on hots, like i do think you have a point in that hots kind of has exorbitant prices + fanatical fanbase so there is that unknown element but otherwise i dont really see ppl shelling out too often for this stuff, dont even see too many skins in my games

Alur

Really? I see them a fair amount. Certain heroes need them more than others in some people's eyes. I definitely see a ton of mounts regardless, though.

Smite does have bundles and skins too, but we are also talking a different level of quality here. Add in the nostalgia/fanboy/etc you're talking about along with how often stuff is getting churned out, and the tie-ins to other games, and I'd be pretty shocked if they are on the same level in sales.

scoobs

I dont know why it has to be a competition with MOBA fans. Its always LoL vs dota, hots vs smite, who the fuck cares as long as the games are successful?

Alur

We already talked about that. All four are making money, that's good. I don't know why you like to dismiss every discussion as who the fuck cares. People like to talk about things, sometimes those things are even hypothetical. It's crazy, I know.

Alur

There's no justifying it if you passed the dollar amount of a console title. Just gotta write it off as a loss and hope you keep enjoying the game long enough to not feel bad about it. At least that's what I tell myself.

brian!

Really? I see them a fair amount. Certain heroes need them more than others in some people's eyes. I definitely see a ton of mounts regardless, though.

Smite does have bundles and skins too, but we are also talking a different level of quality here. Add in the nostalgia/fanboy/etc you're talking about along with how often stuff is getting churned out, and the tie-ins to other games, and I'd be pretty shocked if they are on the same level in sales.

Yeah to be fair i dont really notice skins either so i totally could just be missing the amount in my games

Also the best thing about the incoming patch is "you have failed to please the chicken"

scoobs

We already talked about that. All four are making money, that's good. I don't know why you like to dismiss every discussion as who the fuck cares. People like to talk about things, sometimes those things are even hypothetical. It's crazy, I know.

I don't dismiss every discussion as who the fuck cares, just the really fucking pointless ones.

I've spent so much fucking money on this game its actually shameful at this point. I don't want to know the actual amount, I just know that it is so high that I probably could have pre-ordered a couple of Nintendo Switches by now.

Top Bottom