• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Maria - Puerto Rico without power and cleanup underway

So I put this in the Hurricane thread but makes a good impression on how strong this storm was and it does effect the island for quiet some time. Unfortunately they do NOT make this type of radar anymore, so it is going to take months if not longer to get weather radar back up and running in San Juan...

So Maria has the (dis)honor of being the first Hurricane since Andrew to do this: The complete and utter destruction of a NWS radar site. Those stations are supposed to handle up to sustained 145 MPH and that version of weather radar hardware they don't have many left in reserve, which means it could be months or years for this station to become operational again. This is San Juan's NWS site for those wondering.

DKhjmLDUIAAwrZA.jpg

DKhjmLAUIAAYt50.jpg

Wall Street Journal‏ @WSJ 18 minutes ago
Hurricane Maria caused an estimated $40 billion to $85 billion in insured losses, mostly in Puerto Rico https://www.wsj.com/articles/hurric...losses-air-worldwide-says-1506371305?mod=e2tw

Hurricane Maria caused an estimated $40 billion to $85 billion in insured losses, mostly in Puerto Rico, catastrophe-modeling firm AIR Worldwide said Monday.

More than 85% of the insured loss is in Puerto Rico, AIR said. The firm’s preliminary damage estimate is higher than the firm’s estimates for Hurricane Harvey, which made landfall in Texas in August, and Hurricane Irma, which passed through the Caribbean before reaching Florida earlier this month.

Harvey caused more than $10 billion in insured losses, AIR said, not including losses borne by the National Flood Insurance Program, which provides most residential flood insurance. Irma caused $32 billion to $50 billion in insured losses in the U.S. and the Caribbean, according to AIR.

The estimate does not include losses to infrastructure or boats, or damage to uninsured properties. AIR estimated last week that about 50% of homes in Puerto Rico have insurance policies that protect against wind damage, much lower than is typical across the U.S.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Yo guys, all well with me! Found a small bit of reception and I am using it. Won't be able to post much but all my family and friends are safe. Maria was a real bitch, strongest weather I've ever seen.

Mindlog

I wouldn't be shocked to see some businesses rebuild with storm tourism in mind.
Hoping for the best for Puerto Rico. Here in the TCI we're almost 3 weeks post-Irma, and at least half of the island still doesn't have power. Two friends were told after Maria that they wouldn't have power for another two months - that's three months total. They've just left the country - what else can they do? Can't afford hotels for two months.

I'm also having a website designed by a local company - their office will be without power for another month. What can they do? I told the guy to just handle his business - a website is not a huge priority. But it just shows how much people are affected. Just under half of the staff are still staying with friends / family.
I suspect PR is going to take much longer to get the power back. I know of many people that were leaving PR even before the storm. Completely understandable situation.

Best of luck to everyone in the region.
Yo guys, all well with me! Found a small bit of reception and I am using it. Won't be able to post much but all my family and friends are safe. Maria was a real bitch, strongest weather I've ever seen.
Good to hear! Thankfully that seems to be the same story across much of the island. Lots of hard work ahead no doubt, but happy to see so many safe.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Very sad stuff :(

https://twitter.com/RobinRespaut/status/912481739280396288

Robin Respaut@RobinRespaut
1: Travelled to SW Puerto Rico today. People there haven't had contact with outside world since before storm. Can't travel; preserving gas.

2: Many are limiting meals so they don't run out of food. They asked me to text relatives to say they're ok. I will. Really emotional. #PR

Getting texts/emails for the first time today. Used satellite phone earlier to dictate a story. Puerto Rico communications blackout is real

Situation at #PuertoRico airport is insane. Only 10 planes leaving daily bc damage to traffic control in storm. Passenger backlog building

Zubz

Banned

We're happy to hear you're safe! And it sounds like many others are in the same boat where they're safe, but serviceless. This is going to be an uphill battle to clean-up, but I'm happy to see people are safe.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
My mother is doing well. She lives alone, but the neighbors were nice to had her with them during this difficult moment. Her house is partly destroyed, which breaks my heart. I wish I could be there right now to help. She lives in one of the areas where the eye hit. The town is almost in ruins.

Hopefully people will stay strong together and won't resort to violence and looting once it starts to get worse because of scarce food/water.

Miggytronz

My mother is doing well. She lives alone, but the neighbors were nice to had her with them during this difficult moment. Her house is partly destroyed, which breaks my heart. I wish I could be there right now to help. She lives in one of the areas where the eye hit. The town is almost in ruins.

Hopefully people will stay strong together and won't resort to violence and looting once it starts to get worse because of scarce food/water.

Unfortunately looting and violence started days ago. Hence why curfew is in effect and armed guards at every gas station. I think they’re also posted at grocery stores too. Only letting few folks in at a time.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I just learned that PR is a US territory...

Does Trump know?

Does US media know?

Many people don't, even though it's a bit over 1% of the US population. For perspective that's nearly half the size of NYC. If it were a state it would be in the middle around Iowa.

The lack of Federal response, the media, and how often it has come up in person has been embarrassing.

Miggytronz

Finally got the call my family has desperately been waiting for and everyone is ok back home in Sabana Grande Puerto Rico!!!! My cousin called me from a satellite phone in Trujillo Alto. The fight isn’t over yet. Puerto Rico is in shambles and needs us now more than ever.

Mindlog

This fucking sucks and its almost impossible to book a flight to the states right now.
I just saw ticket prices....................................
This should be a goddamn scandal. Insane profiteering.

Government officials have advised against family members flying into Puerto Rico, but that is a very hard sell to some concerned people. Just learned of a friend's friend that managed to make the journey with a satellite phone courtesy of the company he works for. I was awestruck at a company that would look after its own so well.
So are the US Virgin Islands, we are all American citizens in a state of emergency. Send help.
I wish the federal response was more prompt. There's no reason people should be questioning future supplies of water and food.

PBS Frontline did a remarkable little story on the response to Irma. Worth watching for anyone interested in the region. The same applies to Maria. The response to crisis is going to be very evident as each island recovers at startlingly different rates.

NewFresh

My dad is determined to go see my grandma. Not sure when but probably as soon as he can buy a ticket there. I keep telling him to fly her to the US instead.

Vestal

Gold Member
How is San Juan looking right now?

Ive seen video taken yesterday and well put it this way, places like isla Verde avenue have only 2 of 4 lanes working, there is still flooding in Ocean Park and nearby areas, flooding in Punta Las Marias as well. Two confirmed deaths in a San Juan area hospital due to lack of diesel and Life support machines simply not being able to work. Restaurants are also struggling to stay open due to lack of access to fuel. Heard reports that 1 gang took control of a gas station to get their people gas.

Above is just the tip of the iceberg, and this is San Juan which arguably is getting the most help right now due to being the capital.

Isak_Borg

My mom lost her house and not sure what her and my siblings are going to do.

Family from Houston is planning on flying out to help which is an idiotic idea. I've offered to fly them out to NYC but we'll see if they take me up on the offer.

I just learned that PR is a US territory...

Does Trump know?

Does US media know?
At least with the media I follow, it feels like they reiterate that Puerto Rico is a US territory home to around 3.5 million American citizens in every story or segment about the ongoing crisis. They know a ton of people don't realize it so they keep hammering on that point.

A new poll of 2,200 adults by Morning Consult found that only 54 percent of Americans know that people born in Puerto Rico, a commonwealth of the United States, are U.S. citizens. (Because Puerto Rico is not a state, they do not vote in presidential elections, but they send one nonvoting representative to Congress.)

This finding varied significantly by age and education. Only 37 percent of people ages 18 to 29 know people born in Puerto Rico are citizens, compared with 64 percent of those 65 or older. Similarly, 47 percent of Americans without a college degree know Puerto Ricans are Americans, compared with 72 percent of those with a bachelor’s degree and 66 percent of those with a postgraduate education.

kess

At least with the media I follow, it feels like they reiterate that Puerto Rico is a US territory home to around 3.5 million American citizens in every story or segment about the ongoing crisis. They know a ton of people don't realize it so they keep hammering on that point.

37 Percent of 18 to 29...? Less postgraduates than bachelor recipients...?!

Americans are ignorant as fuck and don't care about anything outside their immediate sphere of interest.

cntr

Banned
Puerto Rico's situation is super messed up.

Like, did you know that because it's an unincorporated territory (as opposed to an incorporated territory), it legally isn't 'part' of the US, but 'belongs' to the US, and because of that, it's legally questionable whether the Constitution and the Bill of Rights fully apples to it and the other unincorporated territories?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Stood in line for 8 hours under a blazing sun so in could get 11 gallons of fuel. Jesus. Sunburnt! Flights are resuming out of PR, I will try to get out by the weekend.

Pesmerga00

My heart goes out to all of you in Puerto Rico. After the FL hurricane, our money is spread so thin trying to help family and friends. I wish I could donate more than some clothes. I know how hard this is. We got lucky (just partial roof damage, minor water damage.) This years H-season has been crazy.

Hammer24

Banned
Ive seen video taken yesterday and well put it this way, places like isla Verde avenue have only 2 of 4 lanes working, there is still flooding in Ocean Park and nearby areas, flooding in Punta Las Marias as well. Two confirmed deaths in a San Juan area hospital due to lack of diesel and Life support machines simply not being able to work. Restaurants are also struggling to stay open due to lack of access to fuel. Heard reports that 1 gang took control of a gas station to get their people gas.

Above is just the tip of the iceberg, and this is San Juan which arguably is getting the most help right now due to being the capital.

Thank you!

Flights are resuming out of PR, I will try to get out by the weekend.

So is the airport being reopened for international flights again?

MaulerX

This is absolutely insane. I truly mean no pun, but seeing this and other images makes me feel so powerless to help. Any recommendations for a good place to donate in order to help?

This is great. Wish I understood how much of an impact the Jones Act has though.

Read this post. This should be completely abolished.

trembli0s

The Jones Act sounds god awful. Has there been any discussion even of abolishing?

There's been talk of it but there are clearly moneyed interests involved who would prefer to keep it and they have supporters in both parties.

US shipbuilding/operating regulations are much higher than those in other parts of the world so putting the entire Act out would cripple US shipping and allow foreign companies to skirt the regulations. A lot of foreign countries like China have little to no protections for their workers so allowing them free rein in shipping would bankrupt US shipping companies who do have to follow the regulations and pay for workman's comp/insurance, etc.

It's a complicated issue that I think could use updating but will require a lot of stakeholders to sit down and agree on what can be done moving forward.

Scirrocco

Bumping this thread so we don't forget about Puerto Rico like the US Government has. They need our help! Relix post if you're okay!

Stood in line for 8 hours under a blazing sun so in could get 11 gallons of fuel. Jesus. Sunburnt! Flights are resuming out of PR, I will try to get out by the weekend.

Bout ten posts above you mate.

And I'll second the request for best place to donate too to help PR.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Still trying to find a plane out of here. Flights are slowly resuming to normal levels but everything is sold out.

Top Bottom