• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

TheOddOne
(08-31-2015, 12:01 AM)

Sanjuro
Inside Man
(08-31-2015, 12:02 AM)
Still curious who his announcer will be.

Also, screw him for stealing Brian Stack from Conan!
B-Dubs
No Scrubs
(08-31-2015, 12:03 AM)
I've got a pair of tickets for the show on the 10th. My hype levels are unreasonably high.
Gordon Shumway
Banned
(08-31-2015, 12:04 AM)
Let's go..feels like it's been forever.

Originally Posted by B-Dubs

I've got a pair of tickets for the show on the 10th. My hype levels are unreasonably high.

Sweet. Enjoy!
Red_Man
I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
(08-31-2015, 12:04 AM)
Never been a fan of late night talk shows, never found them very funny. Hoping that Colbert can change that for me.
xxracerxx
Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
(08-31-2015, 12:05 AM)
Can't wait.
apocalidiot
Banned
(08-31-2015, 12:06 AM)
I can't believe it's already happening/September. Fuck. Totally going to watch the Elon Musk interview
TheOddOne
(08-31-2015, 11:22 PM)
- EW: Late Show with Stephen Colbert announces second week's guests.

Stephen Colbert’s second week at The Late Show will continue tapping into his political side.

CBS announced Monday the schedule for the host’s first full week on the job, highlighted by Senator Bernie Sanders on the Sept. 18 show. Sanders will be the second presidential candidate in as many weeks, with Governor Jeb Bush popping up in the debut show on Sept. 8.

There’s also a prestigious Hollywood contingent set for Week 2, with appearances by Star Wars: The Force Awakens actress Lupita Nyong’o, Emily Blunt, Jake Gyllenhaal, and more. Check out the second week’s slate below:

9/14: Emily Blunt; Justice Stephen Breyer; musical performance by The Dead Weather
9/15: Jake Gyllenhaal; musical performance by Run The Jewels with TV On The Radio
9/16: Kevin Spacey; Carol Burnett with Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer of Broad City; musical performance by and interview with Willie Nelson
9/17: Naomi Watts; United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon
9/18: Lupita Nyong’o; Sen. Bernie Sanders; interview with and performance by An American in Paris’ Christopher Wheeldon, Robert Fairchild, and Leanne Cope

SigmasonicX
(08-31-2015, 11:42 PM)

Originally Posted by TheOddOne

- EW: Late Show with Stephen Colbert announces second week's guests.

Still really glad that he's going to interview politicians seemingly regularly. I still hope that there will be some non-entertainment news or editorial pieces, but I'm sure whatever appears will be great.
kingocfs
(09-01-2015, 12:12 AM)
It's going to be real weird watching him do political interviews out of character.
Suikoguy
I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
(09-01-2015, 12:19 AM)
Damn, just a bit over a week away.
TheAbsolution
(09-01-2015, 12:21 AM)

Originally Posted by B-Dubs

How'd the process for getting tickets go? Was it smooth?

Either way, lucky you! :D
Emperor Bohe
(09-01-2015, 12:22 AM)
get hype!
Admiral Woofington
m'Souls, m'lady
(09-01-2015, 12:23 AM)
The fact he's still going for politicians, CEOs and non-hollywood famous people makes me hopeful it won't just devolve into any of the other late night shows. And his writing staff should feel right at home.

Cannot wait give it to me.
electroflame
(09-01-2015, 12:26 AM)

It's been too long. I've got pretty high expectations, but here's hoping that it doesn't follow the "normal" late show formula too closely.

Hopefully with roughly double the time per night there's time for the guests plus some Report-esque segments.
vikki
(09-01-2015, 12:29 AM)
Pumped, I'm so pumped. Missed you Stephen, I miss you Jon. Other John, you're doing a good job.
Umibozu
(09-01-2015, 12:32 AM)

Originally Posted by electroflame

It's been too long. I've got pretty high expectations, but here's hoping that it doesn't follow the "normal" late show formula too closely.

Hopefully with roughly double the time per night there's time for the guests plus some Report-esque segments.

he happily ditched the report character, and those segments will not work in the late night format.

edit: That is to say he was getting tired of the colbert report so he wouldn't want to continue the format he was doing on the report. He will likely do his own take on lat night, what his take will be is to be seen.
mightynine
(09-01-2015, 12:35 AM)
EDIT: The podcast has really got me interested in the show. Good listen in the behind-the-scenes work they've done.
Suikoguy
I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
(09-01-2015, 12:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Umibozu

he happily ditched the report character, and those segments will not work in the late night format.

edit: That is to say he was getting tired of the colbert report so he wouldn't want to continue the format he was doing on the report. He will likely do his own take on lat night, what his take will be is to be seen.

Yes, don't expect too much deviation from a typical late show format.
thecouncil
(09-01-2015, 12:47 AM)
I have tickets for a "test show" tomorrow. I don't even know what that means or if it's worth it.
electroflame
(09-01-2015, 12:48 AM)

I didn't mean something straight of the the Report, I just meant some 3-5 minute comedy bits -- i.e. something other than monologue -> 25 minutes of guests -> musical guest, five times a week.

Originally Posted by thecouncil

I have tickets for a "test show" tomorrow. I don't even know what that means or if it's worth it.

It's probably something just to see how the format works with a real audience. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be worth checking it out.
Umibozu
(09-01-2015, 12:52 AM)

it's a cold run. I will be in the format that his show is and it will have a guest, it just won't air.
varkuriru
(09-01-2015, 12:54 AM)
Oh wonder if episodes will be online. Also the mini series of Lunch with Stephen in the website was pretty good.
Red Liquorice
needs to check himself
(09-01-2015, 01:01 AM)
He'll always be Chuck Noblet to me.
WillyFive
(09-01-2015, 01:02 AM)
Hoping this isn't the Carson formula reused again; Colbert is too good for that.
Prezhulio
(09-01-2015, 01:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Red Liquorice

He'll always be Chuck Noblet to me.

The material he's made (podcasts, videos) screams strangers with candy more than the report.

Can't wait to see how the skits on his late show comes together.
Umibozu
(09-01-2015, 01:03 AM)

Originally Posted by electroflame

I didn't mean something straight of the the Report, I just meant some 3-5 minute comedy bits -- i.e. something other than monologue -> 25 minutes of guests -> musical guest, five times a week.

Ok, I was thinking you meant something like the report's pseudo reporting segments (like to better know a district and stuff). Late night shows already do comedy bit segments, they're between the monologue and the first guest. I enjoy the comedy bits like you, and wish they happened more frequently in late night. I would even like if the monologue was shortened for more time to do the bits, but I'm sure they can't deviate too much.
WillyFive
(09-01-2015, 01:05 AM)

I would even like if the monologue was shortened for more time to do the bits, but I'm sure they can't deviate too much.

Why not? The only thing they need to adhere to is commercial breaks; they don't all need to follow the Carson formula at all, they could do something entirely new.
DarkKyo
(09-01-2015, 01:05 AM)
I can't believe it's coming up so soon! It's been too long.
Suikoguy
(09-01-2015, 01:25 AM)

Ok, I was thinking you meant something like the report's pseudo reporting segments (like to better know a district and stuff). Late night shows already do comedy bit segments, they're between the monologue and the first guest. I enjoy the comedy bits like you, and wish they happened more frequently in late night. I would even like if the monologue was shortened for more time to do the bits, but I'm sure they can't deviate too much.

It's a LOT of content to create for a show that's on 5 days a week for an hour.

You should go and report back.
JHoNNy1OoO
(09-01-2015, 01:27 AM)
So excited for this. Gonna be great to have him back on the air.
Umibozu
(09-01-2015, 01:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Suikoguy

It's a LOT of content to create for a show that's on 5 days a week for an hour.

I agree with you, I just think monologues are the weakest part of late night.
Mariolee
(09-01-2015, 01:51 AM)
MY HYPE LEVELS ARE THROUGH THE ROOF. I don't think I've ever been so excited for a late night talk show before.
Fletcher
(09-01-2015, 02:57 AM)
Directv better get their shit together and bring back cbs before the premiere.
DrForester
Kills Photobucket
(09-01-2015, 03:00 AM)
I'm still nervous about this. He hasn't done much outside of his joke character for a decade. I hope he succeeds.

It's just what it sounds like. They're going to see how audiences react to their new format.
Mikey Jr.
(09-01-2015, 03:04 AM)
That guest list is REALLY REALLY fucking interesting.

Enough of these brain dead actors and actresses. I really don't give a flying fuck about their vapid lives.

Elon Musk on there is so god damn badass. I might have to start watching late night shows again.
Draconian
(09-01-2015, 03:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Mikey Jr.

Enough of these brain dead actors and actresses. I really don't give a flying fuck about their vapid lives.

Elon Musk on there is so god damn badass. I might have to start watching late night shows again.

Nah, Kevin Spacey's a great interview, no matter who's doing it.
GenericBadGuy
(09-01-2015, 03:10 AM)
Excellent lineup for those first two weeks. I'm really excited for the show and I bet it'll be great.

Of course these days I'm asleep by 9...
Puck Beaverton
Banned
(09-01-2015, 03:11 AM)
I was apprehensive when the news first broke but the build up has been executed pretty damn flawlessly. Having his entire writing team join him alleviates a lot of my fears and I think he's a naturally funny enough guy that he can succeed without falling back on his character. The last couple years of the Report he was already barely playing the character anyways.
Elfforkusu
(09-01-2015, 03:37 AM)
It'll be a great show.

The question is, will it be the greatest show?
kris.
Banned
(09-01-2015, 03:45 AM)
Bernsie and RTJ in the same week. Colbert still going strong. Fuck yes.
Fatalah
(09-01-2015, 03:48 AM)
His podcast has been great the last few weeks.
lednerg
(09-01-2015, 03:50 AM)
9/15: Jake Gyllenhaal; musical performance by Run The Jewels with TV On The Radio
9/16: Kevin Spacey; Carol Burnett with Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer of Broad City; musical performance by and interview with Willie Nelson
9/18: Lupita Nyong’o; Sen. Bernie Sanders; interview with and performance by An American in Paris’ Christopher Wheeldon, Robert Fairchild, and Leanne Cope

Dayum, Stephen's coming out swinging!
ryanthelion123
(09-01-2015, 03:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Mikey Jr.

I think its awesome too. Lets celebrate people outside the entertainment industry.
Clefargle
(09-01-2015, 04:16 AM)
Alright Steven, let's see what you can do with the new format. Shake up the boring talk show scene and make this a legendary run!
Sanjuro
Inside Man
(09-01-2015, 04:17 AM)

Originally Posted by DrForester

I'm still nervous about this. He hasn't done much outside of his joke character for a decade. I hope he succeeds.

His YouTube channel offers a similar character. He is still an oblivious goof.
big ander
(09-01-2015, 04:27 AM)
Biggest hope for the first week is that Troubled Waters band does turn out to be Pavement. other than that I think he'll just be generally very funny and not do anything too radical with the format
Red_Man
I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
(09-01-2015, 04:29 AM)
Kendrick & RTJ in the first week?

Based Colbert
Extra Sauce
(09-01-2015, 04:32 AM)
Run the Jewels on the first week... I'm going to cry.

This could be my favorite late night talkshow since Late Night with Conan O'Brien.
lednerg
(09-01-2015, 04:33 AM)
Guys, those dates are for the second week. The show starts on the 8th:

Tuesday, Sept. 8: George Clooney; Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush; musical performance by Jon Batiste and Stay Human

Wednesday, Sept. 9: Scarlett Johansson; SpaceX and Tesla CEO Elon Musk; interview with and musical performance by Kendrick Lamar

Thursday, Sept. 10: Uber CEO Travis Kalanick; musical performance by Toby Keith

Friday, Sept. 11: Amy Schumer; Stephen King; interview with and musical performance by Troubled Waters