• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Note8 |OT| Bigger, Better, Less Flammable

BFIB

samsung-galaxy-note8-5.jpg

Display:

galaxy-note8-spec_design_illustrator.png

6.3" Quad HD+ Super AMOLED (2960 x 1440)
521 ppi
Infinity Display: a near bezel-less, full-frontal glass, edge-to-edge screen.
Default resolution is Full HD+ and can be changed to Quad HD+ (WQHD+) in Settings.
Screen measured diagonally as a full rectangle without accounting for the rounded corners.

S-Pen:

galaxy-note8-spec_design_illustrator_spen.png

Pressure levels: 4096
Pen Tip diameter: 0.7 mm
IP68
Live message
Samsung Notes
Screen off memo
Smart select
Screen write
Translate
Bixby Vision
Glance
Magnify

galaxy-note8-spec_design_illustrator_wide_angle.png

Camera:

Front:

8MP
Pixel size: 1.22
Sensor ratio 4:3
Selective Focus
F1.7 aperture
Sensor size 1/3.6"
FOV: 80 deg.
Wide Selfie

Rear:

Dual camera
Optical zoom at 2X
Live focus
Dual OIS
Digital zoom up to 10X
Dual Capture

Front/Rear:

HDR
Motion photo
Live Stickers
Grid Line
Timer
Voice Control
Virtual Shot
Filters
Stamps
Location Tags
Quick Launch

Video Recording:

Video Recording
4K video recording at 30 fps
1080p HD video recording at 30 fps or 60 fps
720p HD video recording at 30 fps
VDIS (Video Digital Image Stabilization)
Optical zoom at 2X
Digital zoom up to 10X
High CRI LED flash
Slow motion video support for 720p at 240 fps
Hyperlapse video with stabilization
Continuous autofocus video
Face detection
Tracking AF
Take 9-megapixel still photos while recording 4K video
Playback zoom
Video location tags

Performance:

Octa-core (2.3GHz Quad + 1.7GHz Quad), 64-bit, 10nm processor

luxarific

Nork unification denier
battery life has been awesome, especially when power was out earlier this week due to Irma.

How long did it last - my main concern from going from the Note 4, with it's awesome replaceable battery, to Note 8? Will the battery in the Note 8 be factory replaceable at least or will I be forced to upgrade when the battery inevitably dies in 2 years?

How long did it last - my main concern from going from the Note 4, with it's awesome replaceable battery, to Note 8? Will the battery in the Note 8 be factory replaceable at least or will I be forced to upgrade when the battery inevitably dies in 2 years?

over 6 hours of screen on time on a charge.

should be manufacturer replaceable.

Getting a Pixel XL delivered today (as an RMA replacement for my battery-busted 6P), but might sell it and trade in an old (but mint condition) G4 to get money towards this beast.

Kthulhu

I can't decide if I want to get this or the S8+, both look great.

Do you want a pen and dual cameras and are cool with paying more? Buy the Note 8.

Do you not care about those and would prefer to pay less and have a slightly larger battery? Buy the S8+.

The Note 8's screen is .01 inches larger, which is negligible IMO.

Looks like a great phone!

I'm debating between this, the iPhone X, and the the new Pixel if that turns out to be any good.

I'm on an iPhone 6+ right now, and have been using the iOS ecosystem for a good while.

SpecX

Had mine for over a week and love this phone. Buttery smooth, cameras are crisp and clear, really good low light levels, screen is really clear and bright, battery is awesome as well but that's not saying much after the shit life on my Note 3. I do miss the lack of a button, but everything else is spot on.

voodooray

Tempted to pick this up after my trusty LG G3 died on me.

Was thinking about getting the S8+, but worried about accidental presses because of the curved edges. How often are folks running into this using the Note 8?

BFIB

Was thinking about getting the S8+, but worried about accidental presses because of the curved edges. How often are folks running into this using the Note 8?
Not really an issue on the S8, none on my Note8 so far.

got a call saying mine is ready for activation at Best Buy, just need to go pick it up tomorrow when I'm back in town. already ordered a case and what not too. can't wait to give it a try.

kirblar

It's not an issue at all and you can turn off the edge commands.

Rizific

got a call saying mine is ready for activation at Best Buy, just need to go pick it up tomorrow when I'm back in town. already ordered a case and what not too. can't wait to give it a try.

im still waiting on my call. im getting impatient though, should i just call best buy and ask =p

satori

I got mine on Tuesday. I came from the S8. Before that a note3. I was super disappointed when the note 7 were ticking time bombs. But man I forgot how much I love the Note. I use the stylus a ton with my Note3. So I forgot how amazing it is to have again. The one thing I love is the weight of it. Yes the screen and other things are great. But it just feels great in my hands.

I can't decide if I want to get this or the S8+, both look great.

As your GM I demand you get the Note 8.

That is all.

One thing I notice tho V? With my S8 some apps had to reload which annoyed me to no end. But the note 8 so far has no such issues. I could be running 5 apps and switch between them and no need to reload.

I got mine on Tuesday. I came from the S8. Before that a note3. I was super disappointed when the note 7 were ticking time bombs. But man I forgot how much I love the Note. I use the stylus a ton with my Note3. So I forgot how amazing it is to have again. The one thing I love is the weight of it. Yes the screen and other things are great. But it just feels great in my hands.

That is all.

One thing I notice tho V? With my S8 some apps had to reload which annoyed me to no end. But the note 8 so far has no such issues. I could be running 5 apps and switch between them and no need to reload.

that's the 6GB of RAM coming into play

jaypah

Wife and I just got back from picking these up. The old S6 (and Note 4 for her) has done us well but we're excited to move on. This phone seems long but not weirdly so. Have it charging then I'll start messing with it. Giddy as fuck tbh.

blahness

what did you guys pick for the free accessory promo? wireless charger + 128gb microsd or the 360 camera?

I picked the wireless charger and sd card. I already have a 256gb sd card from my note 4 that is now in my note 8 so the new one is probably going in the switch. The 360 camera looked neat but I dont know when I would ever use it plus you need a large memory card anyway if you want quality video.

Is there a screen mirror option on these phones?

I want to see if I can watch NFL mobile on my smart tv.

Also, how do you change the ugly lock screen clock?

I thought I did, but it just updated the idle clock.

M_A_C

I have the unlocked version from Samsung on At&t, and I don't think visual voicemail is working. Is there something you have to do special to get that working on the unlocked version?

Also, are you guys gonna get a glass screen protector? What's a good one?

kmfdmpig

Is there a screen mirror option on these phones?

I want to see if I can watch NFL mobile on my smart tv.

Also, how do you change the ugly lock screen clock?

I thought I did, but it just updated the idle clock.

I've heard that Verizon blocks NFL mobile from being mirrored in general.

Rizific

well, no note 8 for me today. got an email from best buy saying mine was delayed. i mean thats probably what i get for only pre ordering it yesterday lol! but dude who i dealt with said if not today then most likely tomorrow saturday. heres hoping.

Vyrance

That is all.

Sounds good man. I'll be upgrading from a Galaxy S5 so I'm ready for an upgrade

Busaiku

The battery on this thing has been so nice.
Getting 8 hours of screen on while playing like 3 hours of Fire Emblem Heroes is great.

kmfdmpig

There was an option for that? I only saw Gear VR.

It might vary by country, but in the US the options are:
Gear 360 (the camera)
or
128 SD card + wireless charging pad
The former has a higher MSRP, while the latter is more useful to a wider range of people. I don't think I'd use the camera, so I'm leaning toward the SD card + wireless pad.

kmfdmpig

Huh, maybe I just saw "Gear" and thought it was VR.

Speaking of the Gear VR - apparently some of the XDA people have been able to get the older headsets to work with the Note 8 by cutting off one section of the plastic shell. I'm not sure I care enough to bother doing so, but it's good to know it's an option.

Speaking of the Gear VR - apparently some of the XDA people have been able to get the older headsets to work with the Note 8 by cutting off one section of the plastic shell. I'm not sure I care enough to bother doing so, but it's good to know it's an option.

it fits without cutting on the 2017 model.

just not flush.

NH Apache

Banned
it fits without cutting on the 2017 model.

just not flush.

I have the OG version, I'll test it this evening.

--

Picked up the black one today and goddamn does thing a) look clean as fuck and b) have the most amazing screen I've ever seen. I'm looking at pictures I took with my s7, an amazing camera, and they look so much better than on that screen. Battery has been very impressive. On anything. Definitely need a case for this slippery thing.

Excited to get into this tonight. Already had an update waiting for me (Tmo), running 7.1.1, Aug 1.

I feel your pain. My 950 XL is still rocking though but it's time for a change.

I was a diehard Windows fan for a long time. 920-1520-950-950XL.

My XL is still working good, got a new build today, but man.. It really feels like 2+ year old hardware. The lack of apps etc didn't really bother me that much, but the performance wasn't great.

The Note 8 is amazeballs. Holy crap everything is so quick. It's infinitely easier to multitask stuff.. And the goddamn Microsoft apps run faster and better on this phone. Outlook, Word, Excel, One drive, etc. Cortana doesn't work as good, but they've got Google Assistant or whatever and Bixby. But Cortana is here too.

It took a little while to tweak things how I want, there are like a bajillion notifications in Android, but after a week I am loving it.

I'll still be interested if a real Surface Phone ever comes out.. But for now the Note 8 is magnificent. It really feels like new fast speedy exciting tech.

kmfdmpig

I have the OG version, I'll test it this evening.

--

Picked up the black one today and goddamn does thing a) look clean as fuck and b) have the most amazing screen I've ever seen. I'm looking at pictures I took with my s7, an amazing camera, and they look so much better than on that screen. Battery has been very impressive. On anything. Definitely need a case for this slippery thing.

Excited to get into this tonight. Already had an update waiting for me (Tmo), running 7.1.1, Aug 1.

I have the 2016 version as well. Here's a video of someone making it work with that one. It looks like a lot of work for a fairly terrible looking final result, but since I'll be trading in my only phone that works with the Gear VR I'll consider giving it a shot.

Top Bottom