• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Netherscourge
Banned
(09-19-2017, 01:37 AM)
A Cat 6 designation is really meaningless. Anything Cat 5 or higher is pretty much doom:

According to Robert Simpson, there are no reasons for a Category 6 on the Saffir–Simpson Scale because it is designed to measure the potential damage of a hurricane to human-made structures. Simpson stated that "...when you get up into winds in excess of 155 mph (249 km/h) you have enough damage if that extreme wind sustains itself for as much as six seconds on a building it's going to cause rupturing damages that are serious no matter how well it's engineered."

KeyBladerXIII
(09-19-2017, 01:37 AM)
This is such bullshit, my entire family is in Puerto Rico.
Vincent Alexander
(09-19-2017, 01:38 AM)

Originally Posted by KeyBladerXIII

Fuck, that sucks. Do people in PR have any way to evacuate? Or just have to sit it out and pray for the best?
III-V
(09-19-2017, 01:39 AM)
I had nightmares about this hurricane last night.
Tyrant Rave
(09-19-2017, 01:39 AM)

Originally Posted by KeyBladerXIII

Same here... My dad is with my grandma at least but I don't even know what the rest of them are doing.
SolarPowered
(09-19-2017, 01:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Malyse

I think cat 6 will be a thing soon.

This is what I was thinking after Harvey and Irma, but the Caribbean will suffer the brunt of these monsters in the future.

:(
methane47
(09-19-2017, 01:51 AM)
I feel really terrible for Dominica.
I am here in St Maarten and we are recovering from Irma... And Dominica just sent aid to us and their prime minister came over yesterday to show his support for the island.. but now he's stuck in StMaarten and can't get back to Dominica.

Terrible situation
MaulerX
(09-19-2017, 01:55 AM)

Originally Posted by StopMakingSense

Quoting this since it was only 27 hours ago.

This bitch went from a tropical storm to a Cat 5 in a day. What the actual fuck?
Dinokill
(09-19-2017, 01:55 AM)
Does a CAT5 hurricane can destroy concrete structures?
Vestal
(09-19-2017, 01:57 AM)

Originally Posted by MaulerX

This bitch went from a tropical storm to a Cat 5 in a day. What the actual fuck?

But you know.. No global warming.
methane47
(09-19-2017, 01:58 AM)

Originally Posted by Dinokill

Umm from experience I will say yes, but not likely.
Concrete structures stay standing but windows and roofs can be heavily affected
Last edited by methane47; 09-19-2017 at 02:06 AM.
Error
Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
(09-19-2017, 01:59 AM)

Afaik, no.
MaulerX
(09-19-2017, 02:01 AM)

The one saving grace about PR is that everyone pretty much has a concrete house so peoples homes will hold up well. It's the trees, cars power lines, debris, floods and no power that's going to be the main destruction.
Iolo
(09-19-2017, 02:04 AM)

Originally Posted by methane47

Umm from experience I will say yes, but not likely.
Concrete structures stay standing but windows and roofs can't be heavily affected

Which is why I don't understand why Cat 5 is the highest. Clearly higher speed hurricanes could do even more damage, God forbid.
Kusagari
(09-19-2017, 02:05 AM)
There's a lot of variance in the Cat 5's we've seen though.

Is concrete really fine if you have peak Irma or Wilma on top of you with 185 mph winds?
silkysmooth
(09-19-2017, 02:09 AM)
Size matters way more.

Something massive and slightly weaker will be way more devastating than something smaller but with a very intense inner core.
Epsilon-delta
(09-19-2017, 02:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Iolo

Which is why I don't understand why Cat 5 is the highest. Clearly higher speed hurricanes could do even more damage, God forbid.

Because of the way Category 5 is defined: > 156 mph.

It's catastrophic damage at wind speed 157 mph or higher.
SoRuffShoNuff
(09-19-2017, 02:15 AM)

Originally Posted by silkysmooth

Size matters way more.

Something massive and slightly weaker will be way more devastating than something smaller but with a very intense inner core.

Yeah more devastating on a large scale but tell that to the unlucky ones close to an intense inner core.

It's like what you see with tornadoes. Sure the damage isn't as wide spread but the buildings that are hit are just gone.
Xe4
(09-19-2017, 02:16 AM)
Can't beleive another Cat 5 is going to hit Puerto Rico and adjacent islands so soon. Stay safe Caribbean-GAF
WaterAstro
(09-19-2017, 04:11 AM)
Is the spaghetti projection showing that it will hit the US?

Can't believe another CAT5 is happening.
Unknown Soldier
Banned
(09-19-2017, 04:12 AM)
It seems to be heading straight for Puerto Rico....

Originally Posted by Malyse

I think cat 6 will be a thing soon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/u...x.html?mcubz=0

There is no such thing as Category 6 because you can't get more destruction than Total Destruction.
Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 09-19-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Unknown Soldier
Banned
(09-19-2017, 04:14 AM)
edit: dp
WaterAstro
(09-19-2017, 04:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier

There is no such thing as Category 6 because you can't get more destruction than Total Destruction.

Maybe a hurricane that destroys Earth! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!
GhaleonEB
I hate the headlines and the weather
(09-19-2017, 04:21 AM)
Well, fuck. I was wondering just yesterday if it was going to gain strength like Irma did. But I didn't think it actually would, for some reason. Wow. :(
Panthalassic
(09-19-2017, 04:31 AM)
My mum is from Dominica. It's very bad. People's roofs are being torn off, including one of her aunt's. The hospital roof is gone. The Prime Minister had to be rescued from his house by the police because his roof was torn off. My mum's side of the family is in panic mode. We feel so helpless...
vonStirlitz
(09-19-2017, 04:33 AM)

Yes. In multiple ways. A Cat 5 has the aame kinetic force as the hitoshima blast.

In the BVI, a number of concrete walls were ripped down by the wind, some were pummeled by debris, roofs, fencing, landslides. The walls are attacked in multiple ways.

Gets worse. I know of one case where the outside balcony was ripped off. Ripped off so hard it pulled and shifted the house off its foundations. It was built on a mountainside.

I saw a photo of a wooden fencing stake that had pierced and was sticking out of a palm tree. These trees are thick and that fence post was sticking through it like cupids arrow.

Cat 5 is vicious.
pestul
(09-19-2017, 04:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Panthalassic

My mum is from Dominica. It's very bad. People's roofs are being torn off, including one of her aunt's. The hospital roof is gone. The Prime Minister had to be rescued from his house by the police because his roof was torn off. My mum's side of the family is in panic mode. We feel so helpless...

I'm so sorry man. I hope they can ride it out. Are they getting the back of the eye wall now?
Panthalassic
(09-19-2017, 04:38 AM)

Originally Posted by pestul

I'm so sorry man. I hope they can ride it out. Are they getting the back of the eye wall now?

I think so? The eye is still over the island, but has moved across it... We won't really know anything until morning...
bananafactory
(09-19-2017, 04:39 AM)
Maybe too soon to ask this but it looks like this is heading a similar path to Irma - any chance Florida gets hit again?
rrs
(09-19-2017, 04:44 AM)

Originally Posted by bananafactory

Maybe too soon to ask this but it looks like this is heading a similar path to Irma - any chance Florida gets hit again?

Impossible to tell due to a Jose sized question mark
pestul
(09-19-2017, 04:45 AM)
The Prime Minister of Dominica is reporting complete devastation of the island on Twitter. It's still ongoing.. I'm scared what we'll see at daybreak. :/
hodayathink
(09-19-2017, 04:46 AM)

Jose being there may change the trajectory some. But we don't know if it will, and we don't know by how much. It's just too early to know.
FTF
(09-19-2017, 04:48 AM)
Oh geez, stay safe all :(
Obliterator
cousin investments
(09-19-2017, 04:52 AM)
Horrible. Thoughts are with any who are being affected by this
ronco2000
(09-19-2017, 04:52 AM)
Hopefully it'll turn straight up north real quick.
GaimeGuy
Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
(09-19-2017, 05:01 AM)
WTF? It's cat 5?!
17 Seconds
(09-19-2017, 05:05 AM)

it's not projected to take the same path as irma right now, it's projected to go north of florida
Pattycakes
[Speech - Failed] Fallout 3 is the definitive Fallout RPG game.
(09-19-2017, 05:06 AM)
Cat 5 already holy shit
Tubie
(09-19-2017, 05:10 AM)
Maria is coming to hit the islands Irma didn't hit as badly.

This is so fucked up. PR was even sending supplies and support to those islands gravely affected by Irma, and now this monster is coming just 2 weeks after Irma.
Somnid
(09-19-2017, 05:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier

It seems to be heading straight for Puerto Rico....

But a Cat 5 is not actually "total devastation" and that it could be worse, so they need to re-calibrate the scale if that's the criteria.
TheGreatDirector
(09-19-2017, 05:15 AM)
Damn, that's terrible. Hopefully the people of Puerto Rico and endure this.

What's Maria's projected path afterwards?
perfectchaos007
(09-19-2017, 05:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Somnid

But a Cat 5 is not actually "total devastation" and that it could be worse, so they need to re-calibrate the scale if that's the criteria.

It really is. Only 3 cat. 5's have ever hit the United States, and those were devastating. Andrew in 1992 was the last cat. 5 to hit the USA, and it was.....devastating. If Irma hit the US as a cat. 5, like it did to the Caribbean, Florida would have looked like this.

17 Seconds
(09-19-2017, 05:30 AM)

Originally Posted by TheGreatDirector

Damn, that's terrible. Hopefully the people of Puerto Rico and endure this.

What's Maria's projected path afterwards?

mo60
(09-19-2017, 05:39 AM)

Originally Posted by WaterAstro

Is the spaghetti projection showing that it will hit the US?

Can't believe another CAT5 is happening.

It comes kinda close to the US eventually in some models but it is not certain. No one knows what will happen about a week from now. Most models are showing Jose potentially having an influence on Maria's track about a week from now.
Last edited by mo60; 09-19-2017 at 05:47 AM.
kendrid
(09-19-2017, 05:44 AM)

Originally Posted by methane47

I feel really terrible for Dominica.
I am here in St Maarten and we are recovering from Irma... And Dominica just sent aid to us and their prime minister came over yesterday to show his support for the island.. but now he's stuck in StMaarten and can't get back to Dominica.

Terrible situation

Dominica is such an amazing island. We were there last year and I was never expecting this:
Rainforest hike by Kevin, on Flickr

or this:
TiTou Gorge by Kevin, on Flickr

After seeing photos of what happened to the Virgin Islands it is sad to know even more destruction is coming.
ladyluthien
(09-19-2017, 05:52 AM)
What the hell. I stopped checking the NHC website for a couple days and come back to this? I pray that people in Dominica will be safe. I have friends in PR who missed Irma, but this one is not looking so good.
I hope everyone whose in Maria's path stays safe :(
aspiegamer
(09-19-2017, 06:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Somnid

Category 5 winds are equivalent to roughly an EF4 tornado. One of the specific damage indicators for that intensity is trees being stripped bare, as well as ~100% of non-reinforced structures damaged. That's exactly what we got with Irma. The scale relates to building codes and construction of decades past and in poorer countries, too. It was effective total destruction of all natural and man-made objects alike in the path of strongest winds.

An EF5 at 200ish+ mows the trees off the face of the planet, for a comparison of what's worse. No hurricane has pulled off something that extreme, so I guess technically we could add another category!

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

Well, fuck. I was wondering just yesterday if it was going to gain strength like Irma did. But I didn't think it actually would, for some reason. Wow. :(

This is a banner year for studying rapid intensification for all the wrong reasons, unfortunately. Here's where the "climate change is a factor" part comes in.
El Txou
(09-19-2017, 06:23 AM)
This year has been terrible. The amount of destruction in the caribbean has been very disheartening. All but my best wishes for Dominica, a Cat 5 hurricane... that is just something else. Here in PR, where I live, we are bunkering down right now. We can only hope for the best case scenario, while we prepare for the worst case scenario.
MugiwaraCole
(09-19-2017, 06:23 AM)
Jesus.

Praying for all in it's path.
Slayer-33
Liverpool-2
(09-19-2017, 06:44 AM)
This is f'ing sick, I feel terrible for all my carribbean people.. Still wondering how my fam will do in DR.