• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Pai Pai Master
Banned
(09-26-2017, 02:09 AM)

Originally Posted by paolo11

Oh nice. My favorite character is back. I kinda knew this is gonna happen cuz US comic book characters don't stay dead forever.

So who is going to be next?

Uncle Ben is next, it's the only way they can keep up the escalation!
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku!
(09-26-2017, 02:13 AM)

Originally Posted by paolo11

Oh nice. My favorite character is back. I kinda knew this is gonna happen cuz US comic book characters don't stay dead forever.

So who is going to be next?

Professor X, then Cyclops
Some Nobody
(09-26-2017, 02:39 AM)

Originally Posted by creationtheory

Hickman is the big return I want.

Nah. Hickman going to DC.

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie

Nah, time for him to get Justice League.

But not to JL. That's my man Priest. Hope he kills it. Hickman has to do Legion of Super-Heroes.

More importantly...

Originally Posted by Bronx-Man

Fuck all this other noise, I want mutant Che Guevara back.

Cyclops was RIGHT.

I low-key wish Cyke wasn't so lily-white. If he hadn't been I feel like Marvel would've never tried to kill him. With Mutants being an allegory for downtrodden minorities, Scott turned into a fuckin' revolutionary for his people. You GOTTA respect that shit. Fuck Logan. Fuck Jean. Get my boy Scott back on the playing field, and get his boring as fuck teenage self tf out.
Not
Banned
(09-26-2017, 03:06 AM)
That's cool, I guess

Laura :'(
Freezasaurus
(09-26-2017, 03:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Some Nobody

Nah. Hickman going to DC.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it, but Hickman is making good money at Image working on his own books. Black Monday Murders in particular is fantastic.
erlim
yes, that talented of a member
(09-26-2017, 06:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku!

Professor X, then Cyclops

Spoiler alert, one of them is already back and not a teenager.

PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
CazTGG
(09-26-2017, 07:18 AM)
Only Uncle Ben ever stays dead. At least the 616-universe's Uncle Ben.
Ross61

Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto

But he's already told the final Reed/Doom story. Practically anything else is just burning fumes at this point. It's why the only logical way forward with Doom was to turn him into someone else. It would be like Neil Gaiman returning to Sandman, what would be the point?

You must have not read Sandman Overture.
Not
Banned

Originally Posted by CazTGG

Only Uncle Ben ever stays dead. At least the 616-universe's Uncle Ben.

616 Gwen Stacy still dead
Pop-O-Matic
Banned
(09-26-2017, 07:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Not

Also Mar-Vell, but there was that brief spell where he seemed to be back just to be revealed as a Skrull.
Sir Doom
(09-26-2017, 07:31 AM)
The only Marvel character that remains dead is Death 💀
RedHoodedOwl
(09-26-2017, 07:43 AM)
I don't care about Logan. Marvel should bring back James Rhodes.
SRG01
(09-26-2017, 07:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Not

Ehhhh, she was back for a while with the most recent iteration of the clone saga.
googleplex
(09-26-2017, 07:47 AM)
So.... Marvel spend 2 whole years trying and failing to turn Cyclops into a villain. Scott ends up more popular then ever. Then they write an entire shitty event around his death. Only to have Cyclops die the most meaningless deaths possible off screen. And then Marvel continues the Cyclops character assassination after he long dead. (FUCK YOU MARVEL)

Now marvel is planning to bring Cyclops Ex-wife and the Man who tried for years to sleep with her back. Oh yeah Marvel it is your diversity push that causing your decline in sales. Not the constant shitty events or whiplash inducing about-face to the status quo.

I can't wait for the double page spread of Wolverine and Jean fucking on Cyclops grave. Opps... I forgot. They didn't even bother to bury Scott at the X-mansion.
Conan-san
(09-26-2017, 07:48 AM)
Marvel bablefish’d themselves.

Doing this proves thier incompetence exists and therefore they don’t: QED

I mean why not bring back the marriage if they’re that hard up on crashing.

Or, I dunno, getting HR to have an interview sans coffee with certain individuals who seem to think the condoning batting people in the teeth and being biligerant online (yes, slott, your power fantasy of SPOCK far outweighs ours of a working marriage, please give it a rest) is going to keep sales going.

Could do with slaping thier editorial upside the head for letting slip the /co/ letter in America and the typo minefield too.
BudokaiMR2
(09-26-2017, 07:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Slayven

Wolverine isn't human or mutant along with sabertootha dn Wyldchild. He is an offshoot of early proto-humans

Wait, wasn't that only in the Earth X etc. series? I forget....
RedHoodedOwl
(09-26-2017, 08:03 AM)

Originally Posted by BudokaiMR2

Wait, wasn't that only in the Earth X etc. series? I forget....

It's from Marville. Wolverine is an evolved otter.
7Th
Harunobu Madarame
is my hero
(09-26-2017, 08:13 AM)
Maybe X-23 can get a decent costume again.
Conan-san
(09-26-2017, 08:20 AM)

Originally Posted by RedHoodedOwl

Honesty the way things are going they might as well concider that trainwreck cannon.
Jorok Goldblade
(09-26-2017, 08:22 AM)

Wolverine isn't human or mutant along with sabertootha dn Wyldchild. He is an offshoot of early proto-humans

That plotline's in the "we're just going to ignore this instead of dignifying it with a retcon" box, along with the Spider Totem stuff.
BudokaiMR2
(09-26-2017, 08:36 AM)

Originally Posted by RedHoodedOwl

I've never heard of that print and I am just going to pretend like you didn't tell me either.
Paertan
(09-26-2017, 09:06 AM)
Well I am shocked! I thought he was gonna stay dead forever /sarcasm.
Some Nobody
(09-26-2017, 09:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Conan-san

Marvel bablefish’d themselves.

Doing this proves thier incompetence exists and therefore they don’t: QED

I mean why not bring back the marriage if they’re that hard up on crashing.

Or, I dunno, getting HR to have an interview sans coffee with certain individuals who seem to think the condoning batting people in the teeth and being biligerant online (yes, slott, your power fantasy of SPOCK far outweighs ours of a working marriage, please give it a rest) is going to keep sales going.

Could do with slaping thier editorial upside the head for letting slip the /co/ letter in America and the typo minefield too.

Brand New Day was nearly a decade ago. They publish a title based on the marriage now. Time to let it go, fam.
darkhunger
(09-26-2017, 01:55 PM)

Originally Posted by SRG01

Ehhhh, she was back for a while with the most recent iteration of the clone saga.

And still possibly alive since there's no dead body (other characters that "died" in similar ways in that event are already back)
Jimnymebob
(09-26-2017, 02:02 PM)
I'm usually up to date on Marvel characters dying, but I had no idea Wolverine was dead.
Apdiddy
(09-26-2017, 02:03 PM)

Originally Posted by erlim

PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER

Wait what?

How are they able to explain Professor X's brain being used on Red Skull? Why can't Marvel just be satisfied with a change in the status quo? To me, I don't mind Professor X being dead, Wolverine still being dead, X-23 being Wolverine, Bruce Banner being dead and Cho being Hulk, Sam Wilson being Captain America, Jane Foster being Thor, Tony Stark not being Iron Man and Cyclops still being dead because things have to change.

Marvel just sees sales numbers and panic.
Some Nobody
(09-26-2017, 02:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Apdiddy

Wait what?

How are they able to explain Professor X's brain being used on Red Skull? Why can't Marvel just be satisfied with a change in the status quo? To me, I don't mind Professor X being dead, Wolverine still being dead, X-23 being Wolverine, Bruce Banner being dead and Cho being Hulk, Sam Wilson being Captain America, Jane Foster being Thor, Tony Stark not being Iron Man and Cyclops still being dead because things have to change.

Marvel just sees sales numbers and panic.

Nah. None of those ideas were well thought out enough to be worth keeping. Those deaths mostly didn't happen as a logical conclusion to a story being told, those legacy characters didn't happen that way either.

I don't want Marvel to only tell stories about straight white dudes, but I don't want that to happen b/c you killed them all. Nor do I want change for the sake of change, which is what you seem to be arguing for.

I didn't miss Logan but I'd rather have him than OML or Daken.
Dali
(09-26-2017, 02:13 PM)

Isn't that Vandal savage's story?
HazySaiyan
Banned
(09-26-2017, 02:31 PM)
Why do comics actually even bother killing people off? Everybody knows that they're going to come back.
RRockman
Banned
(09-26-2017, 02:40 PM)
Lol we all saw this coming a mIle away
Apdiddy
(09-26-2017, 02:48 PM)

Nah. None of those ideas were well thought out enough to be worth keeping. Those deaths mostly didn't happen as a logical conclusion to a story being told, those legacy characters didn't happen that way either.

I don't want Marvel to only tell stories about straight white dudes, but I don't want that to happen b/c you killed them all. Nor do I want change for the sake of change, which is what you seem to be arguing for.

I didn't miss Logan but I'd rather have him than OML or Daken.

Logan's ending was the perfect way for him to go he fights the person who created the program and died encased in adamantium while his female clone carries on his legacy and has her own story to figure out.

Same with Captain America and Thor really. Cap and Thor didn't die, they just are no longer their namesake roles.
Stalk
(09-26-2017, 02:54 PM)
What's the latest on Old Man Logan then? Is there a write off in the works for him.
Some Nobody
(09-26-2017, 02:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Apdiddy

Logan's ending was the perfect way for him to go he fights the person who created the program and died encased in adamantium while his female clone carries on his legacy and has her own story to figure out.

Same with Captain America and Thor really. Cap and Thor didn't die, they just are no longer their namesake roles.

I liked Death of Wolverine as a beautifully drawn wide-screen comic, but nah.

And Cap and Thor? What's the difference between this time Cap lost the serum and the time he was killed? Should've just let Bucky stay in that case. And Thor? Original Sin sucked, and also Thor's a name not an identity. I like Jane Foster but the idea behind this was always dumb.

I appreciate them for resetting a lot of it. You can expand the lore without getting rid of the characters. See: Captain Marvel.
Mr. Poolman
(09-26-2017, 03:14 PM)

Originally Posted by erlim

PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER

I'm going to regret it... but how did he came back?
caliph95
(09-26-2017, 03:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Mr. Poolman

He's technically not yet

Just basically a psychic spirit of him imprisoned by Shadowking
Sgt. Kabukiman
Banned
(09-26-2017, 03:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Mr. Poolman

For now, some leftover part of his psyche is just playing chess with the Shadow King in some dark realm.
Astonishing is okay so far. Could go either way at this point but it's the best of the new X books right now imo. Although that's not saying much.
tkscz
(09-26-2017, 03:44 PM)

In the language of the less evolved. They wanted to use it to "put over" Carol, to generate "heat" for her.

That is the 100% wrong way to do it. I liked the character until CWII. After that, I can't stand her.
Some Nobody
(09-26-2017, 03:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Sgt. Kabukiman

For now, some leftover part of his psyche is just playing chess with the Shadow King in some dark realm.
Astonishing is okay so far. Could go either way at this point but it's the best of the new X books right now imo. Although that's not saying much.

Man I swear it wasn't that long ago when X-Men were decent. But between the O5 and the fact that there's like ten X-Books, things have just been trash for a couple years now. >_<
BKatastrophe
(09-26-2017, 04:01 PM)

And Cap and Thor? What's the difference between this time Cap lost the serum and the time he was killed? Should've just let Bucky stay in that case. And Thor? Original Sin sucked, and also Thor's a name not an identity. I like Jane Foster but the idea behind this was always dumb.

I appreciate them for resetting a lot of it. You can expand the lore without getting rid of the characters. See: Captain Marvel.

But the original Captain Marvel did die, which started the legacy chain. And some of those Captain Marvels are dead. At least Phyla-Vell still is
Piers
(09-26-2017, 04:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Wanderer5

Yup he is going back to being Falcon in his new series.

No wonder I never follow Marvel or DC comics. Where is the permenance in the stories?
Some Nobody
(09-26-2017, 04:18 PM)

Originally Posted by BKatastrophe

But the original Captain Marvel did die, which started the legacy chain. And some of those Captain Marvels are dead. At least Phyla-Vell still is

In the case of the original Mar-Vell and Genis, they both reached logical ends to their stories, which is fine. Phyla-Vell should come back, though. An energy sword-wielding space lesbian? Who tf thought killing her off was a good idea?

Originally Posted by Piers

No wonder I never follow Marvel or DC comics. Where is the permenance in the stories?

I don't think bad ideas should stay just so we can feel like change matters. Tony and Rhodey should both be around right now.
Ignatz Mouse
Banned
(09-26-2017, 04:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Piers

Honestly, I could live without permanence if they didn't make a big deal about the changes in the first place.
StanleyPalmtree
Banned
(09-26-2017, 04:42 PM)
do we know if this gonna mess with Old Man Logan in any way? its probably my favorite ongoing comic so i really hope they dont throw it out for this. i mean i cant see why they would, but comics seems to do weird shit like that all the time, cant trust em.
KingV
(09-26-2017, 04:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it, but Hickman is making good money at Image working on his own books. Black Monday Murders in particular is fantastic.

I didn’t realize he had anything going over there. I’ll have to check it out.
KingV
(09-26-2017, 04:47 PM)

The worst part of Original Sin is was the payoff was so bad years later.

The idea that Thor became unworthy because of something Nick Fury said was cool, but then three years later when it was revealed I was like “That’s it?”

It feels like they originally had a better idea but chose not to use it.
caliph95
(09-26-2017, 04:58 PM)

Originally Posted by KingV

The worst part of Original Sin is was the payoff was so bad years later.

The idea that Thor became unworthy because of something Nick Fury said was cool, but then three years later when it was revealed I was like “That’s it?”

It feels like they originally had a better idea but chose not to use it.

More like they had no idea and Jason Aaron had to make up an explanation and connected to his Godkiller storyline
Mindwipe
(09-26-2017, 05:06 PM)
Bleeding Cool running a story that the big return revealed in Legacy isn't the BIG RETURN revealed in Legacy.
Some Nobody
(09-26-2017, 05:16 PM)

Originally Posted by caliph95

More like they had no idea and Jason Aaron had to make up an explanation and connected to his Godkiller storyline

This. Man I really wish Kathryn Immonen's Journey into Mystery had worked. Jane Foster Thor is nice and all but the way they changed the guard was silly and it's going to be worse when they finally swap back.
Joey Ravn
(09-26-2017, 05:29 PM)
Well, if DC has Rebirth, why can't Marvel have its own "let's bring classic characters back!" event?

Let's call it... Marvel Reburp.

Or Legacy, whatever.
Bronx-Man
Banned
(09-26-2017, 05:32 PM)

Originally Posted by HazySaiyan

Why do comics actually even bother killing people off? Everybody knows that they're going to come back.

The big two will use any idea that results in even the most minuscule bump in sales.