• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(09-26-2017, 01:03 AM)

Originally Posted by louiedog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...zed_trademarks

My favorite one is dry ice, because people assume that's just like, the scientific term for it. Nope, it's literally just an arbitrary brand name from way back when.
Elaugaufein
(09-26-2017, 01:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Addi

There's not a word for it in english? In french it's called scratch, because of the sound it makes.

Yeah, the word is velcro. That's just a problem for Velcro because it could cost them their trademark.

(I'm actually a little surprised that more companies don't invent a "common word" in their trademark area to make sure this doesn't happen. No one is ever going to use Hook and Loop Fastener instead of Velcro because it's longer but if they'd called it Hooloo it might have taken off. But I suppose that legal would probably want to trademark the deliberate bait word anyway undoing the entire point. )
Squirrel Killer
(09-26-2017, 01:08 AM)

Originally Posted by BobTheFork

You ever say Hook and Loop to anyone? They look at you funny.

Yeah, Velcro needs to give us a better option than "hook and loop" if they want people to stop calling it velcro.
wienke
(09-26-2017, 01:11 AM)
They're like decades too late on this
Sakura
Foreigners: Give them an inch (of animu panties), and they'll take a mile.

DO NOT CONSORT WITH FOREIGNERS.
(09-26-2017, 01:12 AM)
If I called it hook and loop nobody would know what the hell I'm talking about.
Earthbound64
(09-26-2017, 01:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Achtius

This is only a short-term Band-Aid to Velcro's problem isn't it?

They'll be Xeroxed before they know it.
OnionPowder
(09-26-2017, 01:16 AM)

Originally Posted by louiedog

Cigarette Boat (no idea what that is) having a generic name of go-fast boat is hilarious to me
Marky Mark
(09-26-2017, 01:35 AM)

Originally Posted by GrapeApes

I can't even remember which one is the hook and which is the loop. Gonna stick to Velcro.

hook is scratchy loop is fuzzy
ironmang
(09-26-2017, 01:41 AM)

Originally Posted by SatoAilDarko

As this 1990 NOA poster shows it's a very real fear for a company's brand.

My mom still calls it Nintendo. In fact she calls every video game system I've ever owned a Nintendo since that's as much as she cares about this hobby.
lenovox1
(09-26-2017, 01:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Squirrel Killer

Yeah, Velcro needs to give us a better option than "hook and loop" if they want people to stop calling it velcro.

Then they'd have to trademark it. Hook and loop is the industry name.
Cymbal Head
Banned
(09-26-2017, 01:44 AM)
At first this was so funny I had to wipe away tears with a kleenex. But then it gave me a headache so I took an aspirin. Anyway get some jello and a thermos of coke and enjoy this until you get tired of it and toss it into a dumpster like a frisbee. Xerox.
Intheflorsh
Banned
(09-26-2017, 01:47 AM)
They should accept the inevitable and rename their company Hook N' Loops
GhaleonEB
(09-26-2017, 01:48 AM)
I enjoyed the mix of censored f-bombs and other brand names.

Video could have been pure cringe but they put the right level of enthusiasm into it. Highlights a real issue, but I'm not sure anyone will care.
Hilbert
Deep into his 30th decade
(09-26-2017, 01:55 AM)
It must be a delicate line companies want. They want their brand to become ubiquitous, but if it actually does become so, then it hurts them.
Izuna
(09-26-2017, 01:55 AM)
Tbh, jokes aside, this is a serious thing.

Htf Google gets away with it is bullshit.
Izuna
(09-26-2017, 01:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Easy_D

The brits call it a bleedystopper, not to be confused with women's sanitary pads

No we call them plasters.
TheSadRanger
(09-26-2017, 01:57 AM)
Angelus Errare
Banned
(09-26-2017, 01:58 AM)
TIL: Heroin was a trademark. Mind.blown.
Kreios
(09-26-2017, 02:02 AM)
I honestly had no idea it was a copyrighted thing until now. Velcro is very unique and easy to remember, so I'm sticking with it. I say tissue for kleenex, and bandage for band-aid (although I interchange that one.)

Wait....that list is making me crazy. Bubble wrap?!
ahoyhoy
(09-26-2017, 02:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Makonero

Heroin being one is interesting.

How the fuck is "Aqua-lung" still trademarked.

Also love that Heroin got generalized as a consequence of WWI. So bizarre
Dr.Horrible
(09-26-2017, 02:11 AM)
That was great, I actually watched the making of after the fact.
lenovox1
(09-26-2017, 02:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Hilbert

It must be a delicate line companies want. They want their brand to become ubiquitous, but if it actually does become so, then it hurts them.

This particular product was patented for a while, so Velcro is the name whether they like it or not. That's what happens when you patent something everyone uses.
PSqueak
Banned
(09-26-2017, 02:20 AM)
Didn't Adobe also recently made a thing so people stop using "Photoshop" as a verb?
Michael F. Assbender
(09-26-2017, 02:28 AM)
That was kinda amazing.

But I’m not calling it hook-and-loop.

I’ll call it didjeridoo.
Squirrel Killer
(09-26-2017, 02:36 AM)

Originally Posted by lenovox1

Then they'd have to trademark it. Hook and loop is the industry name.

No they don't. The trademark registration process is entirely voluntary. The legal department could see that getting people to adopt "hook and loop" is unlikely and ask someone (marketing, industry association, etc...) to come up with a catchier public facing name for the technology and put it out there unprotected.

Originally Posted by Kreios

I honestly had no idea it was a copyrighted thing until now.

Trademark, not copyright. Trademark identifies a products from a particular organization. It lasts as long as it is relevant (and not genericized.) Copyright protects a particular expression. It lasts (generally) the author's life plus 70 years.
Memory
(09-26-2017, 02:37 AM)
To think we wouldn't even have this technology if not for the Vulcans.
scarlet
(09-26-2017, 02:40 AM)
TIL that Velcro is a brand.
lenovox1
(09-26-2017, 02:46 AM)

No they don't. The trademark registration process is entirely voluntary. The legal department could see that getting people to adopt "hook and loop" is unlikely and ask someone (marketing, industry association, etc...) to come up with a catchier public facing name for the technology and put it out there unprotected.

The issue for Velcro brand is that they are the industry and they apparently still hold 200 patents for their fastening products.

If VelcroŽ is the name anyone ever uses because it is all that essentially exists, then... Even the makers of Kleenex can point to all the other tissue brands that are on the market.
Obliterator
cousin investments
(09-26-2017, 02:50 AM)
This was actually a lot more amusing / funny than I expected it to be
Dhx
(09-26-2017, 02:51 AM)
They deserve their circle R, dammit.
parrotbeak
(09-26-2017, 02:51 AM)
I knew Velcro was a brand name but I had no idea that this fuzzy strip that sticks to this strip of tiny hooks wasn't all Velcro. How do I know if it's Velcro or some off brand copy?
Z O N E
(09-26-2017, 03:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Easy_D

The brits call it a bleedystopper, not to be confused with women's sanitary pads

Never heard one single person in the UK call it a bleedystopper...

Everyone calls them plasters.
Geist-
(09-26-2017, 03:06 AM)
Ya, that's not going to happen.
Hilbert
Deep into his 30th decade
(09-26-2017, 04:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Z O N E

Never heard one single person in the UK call it a bleedystopper...

Everyone calls them plasters.

In the US the generic term would be Adhesive Bandage.
Achtius
(09-26-2017, 05:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Izuna

Tbh, jokes aside, this is a serious thing.

Htf Google gets away with it is bullshit.

i have no idea, i'll bing it for more information.
mhayes86
(09-26-2017, 05:07 AM)
Sorry, Velcro. You should have created a garbage brand name and not have been the lead manufacturer of Velcro. Just like how all consoles are Nintendo, all bandages are Band-Aids, and tissues are Kleenex.
Kreios
(09-26-2017, 06:51 AM)

Trademark, not copyright. Trademark identifies a products from a particular organization. It lasts as long as it is relevant (and not genericized.) Copyright protects a particular expression. It lasts (generally) the author's life plus 70 years.

I got it, thanks. The R is what confused me I guess. Stupid question, but whey don't they use T for trademark? R is just...reserved right? On topic, it's just another common thing I didn't take the time to think about
Elaugaufein
(09-26-2017, 06:53 AM)

I got it, thanks. The R is what confused me I guess. Stupid question, but whey don't they use T for trademark? R is just...reserved right? On topic, it's just another common thing I didn't take the time to think about

TM is for Trademark, R is for Registered Trademark.
Pagusas
(09-26-2017, 07:03 AM)
The worst part of this video is that my bosses are going to see it and ask me to make something like it for our company... with no budget what so ever *cries*
starchild excalibur
(09-26-2017, 07:10 AM)
"Rollerblade" is/was a company name?

Damn.
Cosmo Clock 21
Banned
(09-26-2017, 07:33 AM)

R stands for registered trademark, TM is just trademark
http://info.legalzoom.com/registered...ark-21089.html
adamsappel
(09-26-2017, 07:38 AM)

Originally Posted by ag-my001

They won't have to change their name, it just means all the other companies can call their own stuff Velcro and not get sued themselves.

Compare it to the pain relief aisle. There are fifteen brands of aspirin, but only one brand called Tylenol. Everyone else makes acetaminophen.

You generically called pain medication "aspirin."

Originally Posted by Wikipedia

In 1897, scientists at Bayer began studying acetylsalicylic acid as a less-irritating replacement for common salicylate medicines. By 1899, Bayer had named the drug Aspirin and was selling it around the world. The word Aspirin was Bayer's brand name; however, their rights to the trademark were lost or sold in many countries.

adamantypants
(09-26-2017, 07:41 AM)
Rollerblades? Shit man. That company did all the legwork and I had no idea until velcro did a YouTube video.

Originally Posted by adamsappel

You generically called pain medication "aspirin."

Lol. WHERE DOES IT END? I'm gonna have to have a coke and sit in my jacuzzi while I think about this.
Fulminator
(09-26-2017, 07:57 AM)
ill stick with velcro
Drencrom
(09-26-2017, 08:04 AM)
This is pretty funny but

Originally Posted by Nafai1123

Not sure why I should care if a successful company loses it's trademark.

lenovox1
(09-26-2017, 08:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Drencrom

This is pretty funny but

Honestly, it's more for the USPTO and the media than it is for the general public. They have to be seen as making a concerted effort to protect their trademark.
Poona
(09-26-2017, 08:24 AM)
It reminds me of how I always used to think it strange how when I watched certain American shows or movies (I'm from Australia), they would call tissues 'Kleenex'.

Like 'Kleenex' is the brand. It was like calling all chocolate 'cadbury' or 'hersheys' or all cereal 'kelloggs' or something. I would always feel sad for those other companies that made tissues and weren't Kleenex.
SciencePilot
(09-26-2017, 08:43 AM)
It's always funny/sad when you see people trying to deliberately control language. Language doesn't work like that.
CPS2
(09-26-2017, 08:50 AM)
I always use Taser branded personal shocking devices.
99Luffy
(09-26-2017, 08:50 AM)
Hook and loop sounds more like instructions than a name. Google tells me they can also be called touch fasteners. They couldnt have gone with that?