• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BotW progression system actively hinder a lot of its good parts

G.ZZZ

BotW best parts are, undoubtely and dogmatically so, the first 30 hours or so, where resources are scarce, encounters are always somewhat challenging, and venturing in unexplored lands always pose some dilemmas (frost/hot/burning areas). After a certain point, food become way too abundant, absolutely trivializing every kind of encounter or challenge, and armor/hp become also absurdly OP in a way where nothing can actually challenge you.

In fact, it's a testament to how absurdly good those first hours are if the game still feel amazing despite losing a lot of its luster in the latter half, where combat appearances become just boring A-fest spam with 0 risk or tactics in it with infinite food to recover to boot, and different enviroments just become a matter of changing your clothes or spamming any kind of overpowered food to make up for it.

I absolutely understand the need for the feeling of progression in any given game, but the way BotW do it is extremely ruinous to its core experience, that of wandering around and always feel challenged in a way or another by the exploration. Its overabundance of loots also become just a way to infinitely stack your inventory with OP healing items as well. This is a kind of progression that is suited for something like Disgaea or Diablo where you can increase the challenge constantly to make up for your number-crunching OP-ness, or even something like minecraft where you can use all the things you pick to effectively create things and give a sense to the grind.

The kind of progression BotW present also make so that monsters have to become HP sponges later on, because due to your near-infinite health pool (combined with the food), they have to at least consume a bit of your weapons AND rely on your eventual mistakes to force you to consume some of your foods.

Monsters upgrading being not only HP-upgrades but more of speed-upgrades of their patterns would make both more sense lore wise, and play better in the way of progression -> knowing patterns -> being more able to react to them faster , instead of progression -> farming items. Another consequence would be making contextual way to take them out more effective, like explosive barrels which do trivial damage to blue and above monsters, or boulders from above, as well as pushing them off cliffs. A lot of creative approachs to camps tend to be worthless later on because of the huge HP pools of said monsters, which make trying to separate them or stealth kill them impossible because they have too many hp to effectively kill them fast enough to avoid all the camp ganging up on you. The game even recognize this, making tower patrols blue at most, so you can always sniper them from afar with a decent bow.

I've found myself restarting the game multiple times only to re-experience those magic first 20-30 hours where every encounter or challenge has you taking in consideration your experience, your weapons/armor/foods, the weather (raining is a huge factor when sneaking in big camps and make for some of the best and most rewarding experiences), and the enviromental helps like barrels and boulders to take out monsters safely.

All this said, it would be a relatively easy fix for the game to actually retain a lot of its scarceness-feel and to keep you a bit more challenged even in the later parts of it.

First of all, armor need to be fixed in how it scale. Having armor that reduce any and all damage to 1/4 of an hearth except for silver lynel special attacks is a joke. A simple solution would be to make so that armor can never reduce damage below half or a quarter of the original value. This way, 24 damage (6 heart) weapons would still do 3 or 1 .5 hearts no matter the armor you get.
Optionally, armor shouldn't give you max resistance to cold/heath/burn by itself, forcing you to always keep potions/foods in consideration for harsher areas.

Food is absolutely, disgustingly broken, and in general, it's way too easy to amass. An easy fix is to limit consistently the amount of it you can carry. 3 pages is way, way too much. A row of 5 is more like it, possibly upgradable if you want to decrease the challenge. I am artificially playing limiting myself to 2 slots, and i find myself constantly using the raw foods i pick around, giving much more sense to my full pages of ingredients.
This is a change i would've really liked in the hard mode, or some other food limiting mechanic, instead of monster which are even more of HP sponges.

To keep enviromental approaches to combat viable (boulders, barrels, falling metal boxes, putting camps on fire etc...), HP for monsters shouldn't scale nowhere as much as it does now, with better monsters having betters stats other than just HP (Faster animations/movement/reaction, better aim, better AI, more damage, ability to parry etc...).

Monster parts and their drops in general shouldn't be as common as they are now. Make them rarer to avoid just cluttering your inventory and making the game all about picking up thing constantly. Improve the reward in chests camps if anything. This, combined with limited food slots, would give a meaning to your ingredient tab without needing a cooking pot, and would also make cooking pots in the wilderness much more of a reward than they actually are, since you can just stack yourself in a city right now.

I find it a bit frustrating that the absolutely amazing first parts of the game get so diluted and ruined by you becoming a walking wal-mart food store with armor that make you effectively invulnerable and hp bars in the 40+s of hearts. Past zeldas had basically little progression, but had 0 challenge from the start aside from puzzles. BotW has like the perfect amount of challenge, adjustable to your likes from where you want to go and what you want to do, but give you so much progression that the challenge after a while is even less than traditional "easy-mode" zeldas.
Personally i can't wait for the next zelda where they learn to do progression right (lot of ideas in the right place, like the ability to sell your heart containers which was made with people who like challenge in mind for sure), with the challenging exploration of BotW to go with it. I may as well stop playing right after that.

I've felt the same about some (but not all) aspects of the game but it's also why I'm so excited about Master Mode.

When the challenge of surviving in Breath of the Wild gets tempered over time with health and armour upgrades exploring is never quite the same. It's great to have a full stamina bar, and super convenient for exploring, but even then I miss the times when I'd have to carefully plan my traversal instead of just mash the button.

Still, it's hard to say whether it would be good to make the game as deadly challenging throughout. A game as vast with possibilities as BotW implies a lot of players will be playing for different things. One player might want to uncover the environment and visit shrines, and to them, having Link grow tangibly stronger and more prepared is a good thing.

I disagree about the sentiment on past Zelda games though - I'd say a lot of them are challenging to new players or players less experienced with the series. When I was younger and hadn't played so many games, or even Zelda games, I had trouble with Link's Awakening, Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.

Frodo

To keep enviromental approaches to combat viable (boulders, barrels, falling metal boxes, putting camps on fire etc...), HP for monsters shouldn't scale nowhere as much as it does now, with better monsters having betters stats other than just HP (Faster animations/movement/reaction, better aim, better AI, more damage, ability to parry etc...).

This actually sounds like a good idea. At the end of the game I wouldn't even bother with anything, because explosions and boulders barely did anything to monsters. Much quicker just to grab a massive sword and spin attack everything.

bomma_man

I agree that the change comes to early, and is too dramatic, but the contrast between how weak you are at the start and how massively OP you are at the end works really well thematically, and I think the intensity of the first 30 hours dragged over 100 would be a bit draining. They just need to make the progression more smooth, and I agree that sponge enemies were a terrible solution.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm starting to get to that point. The first few hours were really very good, running around unlocking towers and shrines was great fun, but I've got a couple Divine Beasts upgrades and improved my stamina bar to the point that exploration is trivial. I'm not at the point that I can comfortably wade in to combat, but after spending a bunch of time unlocking all of the towers the magic has definitely faded a bit.

It's still enjoyable and I'm by no means done playing the game, but so far that initial feeling of almost overwhelming potential has been the highlight.

iswasdoes

While I dont disagree with the sentiment of your post at all, I think part of the problem (at least with the way I played the game) was making getting all shrines and maxing out my hearts/armour my main focus. I played in a way that made me overpowered when I still had a lot of main game to do

Theres a certain satisfaction you get from becoming overpowered, albeit temporary, The first time I was able to take down a lynal without dying felt great. If I had only gotten to this stage toward the end of the game, then it wouldnt have felt too easy for the last 50 hours or whatever.

Also, I would never have gotten past the early stages with only 3 food slots. I think you are right though that there are way too many

Stopdoor

I wonder if food would've been better if recipes were more integral. Make recipes more elaborate, but let you "save" them if you discover one (another thing that could make sidequest rewards more interesting), so it's more of a challenge to collect the diverse ingredients.

Baking 5 of one item for an ultra healing meal, is yeah, kind of trivial.

Majukun

i kind of se where you are coming from, but it's also true that progression,like everything in the game,is optional, so in a way you can always tailor the experience to your needs and never redeem those orbs for hearts and stamina

the quality update of the enemies instead of a quantity one would be amazing too,
but given how bad the enemy variety is in the game,i suspect they wouldn't have the time to add more stuff

my problem with food is that the system doesn't give you much reason to attempt to create difficult dishes when a simple mushroom skewer is all you need.

the game definitely has ways to improve,that's why i hope the next game will keep this formula and improve it.

nynt9

I agree, the game's numerical systems don't feel very well-balanced. Joseph Anderson's critique of the game also covers some of your points if you're interested: https://youtu.be/T15-xfUr8z4 (there's a link to a written version in the description)

I want a whole game of Eventide Islands.
Like the Super Mario Galaxy of Zelda games. Short, condensed survival focused areas that strip you of most of your gear once completed.

Yeah, Breath of the Wild is absolutely at its best when your Link is weak and you have to consider your options every time you get in a fight. I think this is really made clear once you get to Eventide Island.

I definitely wish gear progression and food weren't as powerful as they are, but to be honest, Zelda is a lynchpin franchise for Nintendo and therefore needs to appeal to as many people as possible - so allowing the player to eventually become pretty overpowered in BotW is probably a necessary compromise given that the game can be pretty difficult in spots. The game is still a masterpiece, but the best way to play it is probably to kind of limit yourself (stay away from foods that heavily boost your attack and defense, don't upgrade your armor much / at all).

I want a whole game of Eventide Islands.
Like the Super Mario Galaxy of Zelda games. Short, condensed survival focused areas that strip you of most of your gear once completed.

I don't see where the Super Mario Galaxy comparison comes from, but I agree. When playing Eventide Island, I kept thinking the same thing I did when playing the subsistence missions in Metal Gear Solid V - it's hard to not wish the whole game (or at least larger portions of it) were more like that.

Im aroud 20 hours in and I dont like the food system at all, feel like it just keeps me from playing the game, I just create something that refills my hearts, dont like creating or crafting stuff in general in any rpg.

G.ZZZ

i kind of se where you are coming from, but it's also true that progression,like everything in the game,is optional, so in a way you can always tailor the experience to your needs and never redeem those orbs for hearts and stamina

the quality update of the enemies instead of a quantity one would be amazing too,
but given how bad the enemy variety is in the game,i suspect they wouldn't have the time to add more stuff

my problem with food is that the system doesn't give you much reason to attempt to create difficult dishes when a simple mushroom skewer is all you need.

the game definitely has ways to improve,that's why i hope the next game will keep this formula and improve it.

I agree that a lot of it it's optional, and that's why i have restarted the game so many times. To see at which point you get the "sweet point" for challenge. You can also easily do shrines and not use the orbs, which is another thing that feel intended to allow you to tailor your experience a bit more. But some things (like armor upgrades or the abundance of food) is harder to "self-regulate".

In general i think the numerical progression of the game is certainly the worst aspect of it. It make combat more tedious and less open up to options, instead of making it more interesting, and exploration suffers from it as well.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Shouldn't link be Overpowered though? Literally only him and an elf girl have been killings Ganon for centuries
A lot of cutscenes and dialogue make link out to be a literal one man army back in his prime, one cutscene shows the aftermath of link cutting down dozens of lynels and bublokins and only got a few scratches.

Yeah, Breath of the Wild is absolutely at its best when your Link is weak and you have to consider your options every time you get in a fight. I think this is really made clear once you get to Eventide Island.

I definitely wish gear progression and food weren't as powerful as they are, but to be honest, Zelda is a lynchpin franchise for Nintendo and therefore needs to appeal to as many people as possible - so allowing the player to eventually become pretty overpowered in BotW is probably a necessary compromise given that the game can be pretty difficult in spots. The game is still a masterpiece, but the best way to play it is probably to kind of limit yourself (stay away from foods that heavily boost your attack and defense, don't upgrade your armor much / at all).

I don't see where the Super Mario Galaxy comparison comes from, but I agree. When playing Eventide Island, I kept thinking the same thing I did when playing the subsistence missions in Metal Gear Solid V - it's hard to not wish the whole game (or at least larger portions of it) were more like that.

Eventide was great since it was a cut off island that players would eventually traverse to, would have been great to have another location like it. Was surprised they didn't use one of the labyrinths for that kind of crazy challenge. While I wouldn't want the entire game to feel like Eventide, as amazing as it was, I'd welcome more locations like it, or variations like it.

The trial of ordeals or whatever it's called sounds like this

Yup. Though I am a tad disappointed that it's basically designed like a shrine, it lacks that organic feel of Eventide which fit so snugly into the game's world and your exploration within it.

120v

this is an issue with pretty much every open world/pseudo-rpg. had the same experience with Far Cry, Dying Light, ect... the back end is never as fun. just the fundamentals of the genre

G.ZZZ

I agree, the game's numerical systems don't feel very well-balanced. Joseph Anderson's critique of the game also covers some of your points if you're interested: https://youtu.be/T15-xfUr8z4 (there's a link to a written version in the description)

I think i had read a bit of this before, and after having played so much of it, now i can reflect myself more in it. A lot of this is me tbh.

TheMoon

I've been playing vegetarian from the start, which alleviated some of the abundance of food. Simply going "no, I won't kill that wolf/boar/etc" will leave you with a lot less op food to cook with and you actively have to go hunt for the various mushrooms and fruits to fill their void.

It's funny because every week or so there's a thread on GAF from somebody who "can't get into the game" because it's so impossibly hard.

Crayolan

You're absolutely right and this is why people who say the game has no sense of progression are crazy.

I was hoping hard mode was going to do something to maintain the challenge of the early game throughout the entire adventure, but I guess not. :(

Majukun

I agree that a lot of it it's optional, and that's why i have restarted the game so many times. To see at which point you get the "sweet point" for challenge. You can also easily do shrines and not use the orbs, which is another thing that feel intended to allow you to tailor your experience a bit more. But some things (like armor upgrades or the abundance of food) is harder to "self-regulate".

In general i think the numerical progression of the game is certainly the worst aspect of it. It make combat more tedious and less open up to options, instead of making it more interesting, and exploration suffers from it as well.

yeah,but if you consider how many people complained about the weapons breaking and that they would avoid combat entirely because of that,you can see why not putting an option to lessen those "problems" would have been bad for another kind of gamer.

all in all i think the game still does a good job with it's balance,especially with the currency system, where everything has value and keeps having a value for the majority of the game's lenght...i really found myself not needing anything near the very end of my journey..the rest of time i was still glad to explore because i needed this or that material,

it could be betetr of course, but there are very different crowds the game wanted to cater at, and those have diffferent opinions about what gives them satisfaction...and one type of player might find frustrating what another player finds endearing and fun.

there are many ways to tackle these problems,and i'm curious,in the case nintendo decides to do a botw 2, how nintendo would tackle it..although i think they would do everything the same again but with more options and mechanics.

the Plateau is the best part of the game

I mean, it's not, but it really is excellent. It and Eventide Island are basically the game in miniature. And the game really does need more of it.

The game's survival elements are brilliant, but the reward for doing well at it seems to be to make the end game less fun.

My ideal would be a progression system that makes you stronger in the overworld, but also grants you access to more walled-in Eventide island-like areas. "Survival dungeons" if you will.

Maybe 6 or so traditional dungeons and 6 survival dungeons.

Majukun

A lot of cutscenes and dialogue make link out to be a literal one man army back in his prime, one cutscene shows the aftermath of link cutting down dozens of lynels and bublokins and only got a few scratches.

yeah,and that's why ganon is so undewhelming...during the game i thought the battle would have been like 10 lynels at once and that's why i was doing all that prep work..instead lynels are actually the harder enemy in the game,ganon included.
I mean, it's not, but it really is excellent. It and Eventide Island are basically the game in miniature. And the game really does need more of it.

The game's survival elements are brilliant, but the reward for doing well at it seems to be to make the end game less fun.

My ideal would be a progression system that makes you stronger in the overworld, but also grants you access to more walled-in Eventide island-like areas. "Survival dungeons" if you will.

well it's good that dlc 1 is basically eventide island times a dozen

bomma_man

MGSV has a similar sense of progression in a lot of ways but is a lot better at scaling enemies to your upgraded gear/partners. Like the heavy armour is ostensibly lazy uncharted esque bullet sponge shit, but then you realise you can shoot in the gaps between the armour, or use riot gear for knock back, forcing you to git gud or change tact. BOTW tinkered with this with the hinox leg guards (and shields in general to an extent) but it would've been a far more elegant solution than different colour = more hp.

Zakalwe

Banned
I have similar feelings.

My issue is that once you've experienced the mechanics to a certain point, the world loses a lot of it's appeal.

At first it seemed like there was so much to take in, but once I obtained the master sword, found a few of the singular experiences like Eventide or Labyrinth etc... got to the point where weapons and food become abundant, and completed my third Divine Beast, I felt like I'd experienced everything I wanted to.

I agree with OP that at a certain point things start feeling trivial, but my main problem was the world itself. While beautiful and very rewarding to explore in terms of actual rewards and unique challenges/areas, the actual world felt a little soul-less to me.

I think it was the open structure mixed with the barebones story, but whatever it was the main draw of this game for me was the progression systems and engaging with the mechanics, and at a certain point I just felt like I'd had enough of both.

I don't think so. I think it allows for a bunch of different ways for people to experience the world in different orders, so it's good.

Though I will say I would have appreciated bosses scaling a little as you defeated others.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I agree.

Enemies meeded to continue to become more challenging, not just damage sponges.

Also, weather armor needed to buy you more time, not be a permanent solution.

Lilo_D

I have this feeling after like 140hrs

That's why I choose to beat ganon at 70hrs mark with underpower gear and limited resource because I know it will get super easy eventually

I agree with pretty much all of the above. The reverse difficulty curve is a trap many open-ended games fall into (not necessarily just open-world games: it hits Symphony of the Night hard). Toning armor way down and allowing the player to store food somewhere, but only carry a few select items, would be something I'd be 100% for.

Lilo_D

I have this feeling after like 140hrs

That's why I choose to beat ganon at 70hrs mark with underpower gear and limited resource because I know it will get super easy eventually

That's being said you choose how to make progress completely by yourself because the end GOAL is right there at the beginning

Madao

better enemy variety and harder enemies would have helped late game. even the Silver Lynels stop being a challenge once you figure them out (and use a strong bow on them)

also, some of the super easy to find foods are too strong. truffles giving full HP recovery after cooking them is too op. you'd think only special combinations of food would grant you full HP recovery.

I'm not sure I want the same tension of combat at the start of the game to be present through the entire experience.

At some point, I liked the fact that the combat was easier. You could now explore the entire world at your own pace. Previously, you were always gated by very difficult enemies and limited in what areas you could get to.

ffdgh

Going straight to Hyrule Castle after leaving the plateau is the best part of the game.

Haha yep. Nothing like exploring every nook a& cranny of Hyrule Castle with only 4 hearts and stealthy avoiding most of the enemies while looting. Didn't have an issue with the durability system for the rest of the game after that first visit.

epicnemesis

But...that's the beauty of the game. The end goal is right there at the outset. The game is essentially "get strong enough to beat ganon, you can also do these things along the way...go" So the idea that you become superman after clocking in a certain amount of hours is the whole point. My game ended like 50 hours in when I had all ancient weapons, the master sword, all 4 beasts, and max ancient armor. I felt I got too strong to enjoy the little parts of the game anymore and punked ganon. Quest complete. Now I sometimes jump into the game to explore, but thats it.

I think the quest reward for getting all korok seeds says it all. This isn't a game designed for you to "complete."

Duxxy3

I think the food system is a result of how hard some of the enemies hit you. In older games you would lose a half heart of damage, sometimes a full heart. A lot of the enemies, especially later on, can take out more than half a bar of hearts.

Rodin

BotW best parts are, undoubtely and dogmatically so, the first 30 hours or so
And yet here i am, 120 hours in, enjoying it just as much.

where resources are scarce, encounters are always somewhat challenging, and venturing in unexplored lands always pose some dilemmas (frost/hot/burning areas). After a certain point, food become way too abundant, absolutely trivializing every kind of encounter or challenge, and armor/hp become also absurdly OP in a way where nothing can actually challenge you.
Since you basically expand on these same points later on, i'll just answer here. This is true to a degree, but not so much that should go in the way of enjoying the experience for most players.

I'm currently playing the game with the hero of time armor, and i don't remember if it has level one upgrades or if it's on its base level. One thing i know for sure though is that i've yet to unlock level 4 upgrades (and level 3 armors don't make you invincible). As a result, getting shot by a silver enemy means losing like 10-15 hearts, and i'm pretty sure that Lynels can still oneshot me. This is also how i faced the Calamity Ganon, and it was fantastic. Basically, the game gives you the option, but it doesn't force you to do any of those things.

In my book, this is good. Keep in mind that games like Zelda aren't meant to be enjoyed only by experienced players, but also by newcomers, casual gamers and kids with still little experience with games (heck, this might be the first game for many people). Nintendo can't design a game with such a broad appeal in terms of market like if it was Dark Souls, where the challenge was part of its marketing even, and i can assure you that the game is and remains plenty hard for many, many people. This doesn't concern you and me directly, but if you're analyzing game design it's definitely something to keep in mind, because the game is being made to appeal by a wide variety of people with different levels of experience. Doing something like this is difficult per se, but it's especially hard when there are so many systems that need to work in conjunction, so all in all i'd say Nintendo made a damn good job in balancing the game, especially since despite having a much more complex gameplay the game is far less broken than other open world titles like Skyrim or Witcher 3 (a friend is playing the latter at death march difficulty, with a mod that makes enemies much harder, and he told me it's still a snoozefest).

Same goes for food. You can't limit the inventory space since you also need it for potions and stuff, and while it would be better for you to have scarce resources for the entirety of the game, it's not necessarily a good thing for many other people (both because they'd find it annoying and because many people like the sense of overcoming a challenge - initial scarcity in this case - and being naturally rewarded for it instead of having to deal with it for the entire game.. which is also one of the reasons why the argument against the anti cold/hot armors doesn't make any sense), which is something developers need to keep in mind. You can still decide to avoid making 3 pages of food that give you full hp restore, but other people wouldn't be able to enjoy the game as much with only 5 slots. There's also the fact that you would be forced to make food every few encounters, which could potentially break the pacing, or be one of the elements that in conjunction with others make it much worse, and this is a much bigger issue from a design standpoint. Also food is only broken if you have a super powerful armor, otherwise it can't do much for you if an enemy can kill you with 1-2 blows. I also don't know where are you getting these 40+ hearts from. I have like... 24? And i only miss a few shrines.

Finally, people seem to be forgetting that Link isn't some random guy, he's a hero with near-divine powers. It makes sense that in early-mid game, after 100 years of stasis, you get trashed even by blue bokoblins. But after you start getting your powers back and build new strenght from new experiences, it doesn't make sense at all that low grade enemies pose a serious issue for you. Link isn't a random ass hunter/knight that faces horrors much stronger than him, he faces the armies of the only enemy as strong/stronger than him, and the game should reflect this. Doesn't make sense that you need to worry about bokoblins and lizalfos after 80 hours (and the silver ones can actually still destroy you if you don't have level 4 armors), when you should be facing Ganon himself. It's not believable.

The kind of progression BotW present also make so that monsters have to become HP sponges later on, because due to your near-infinite health pool (combined with the food), they have to at least consume a bit of your weapons AND rely on your eventual mistakes to force you to consume some of your foods.
Enemies aren't just damage sponges, they also a few extra perks like dealing significantly more damage and a sort of "hierarchy" mechanic (when you disarm one of the high rank enemies they take the weapons from their "subordinates").

This is by no means perfect, and i agree with you that the strongest enemies should've had more aggressive patterns for example, but what the game does is still better than most (if any other) open world games, where the level 5 farmer with a shotgun you laughed at early in the game magically becomes a level 90 farmer more powerful than dragons and random bosses. Which is just bullshit.

Another consequence would be making contextual way to take them out more effective, like explosive barrels which do trivial damage to blue and above monsters, or boulders from above, as well as pushing them off cliffs.

A lot of creative approachs to camps tend to be worthless later on because of the huge HP pools of said monsters, which make trying to separate them or stealth kill them impossible because they have too many hp to effectively kill them fast enough to avoid all the camp ganging up on you. The game even recognize this, making tower patrols blue at most, so you can always sniper them from afar with a decent bow.
This is just false.

1) there's usually only one high rank enemy in each camp, so you can still use all the creative approaches to take down other enemies
2) A barrell, a boulder or a crate or whatever won't outright kill a silver enemy, but it would deal a good amount of damage that helps breaking the most powerful weapons less often, especially in the long distance.

All in all your i could see your complaints much more (and some of them are still valid) if the game forced you to do those things with its core structure, but this is a game where you can face the final boss after finishing the tutorial area. Also the game is so much more than its combat, i really can't see a game where you find tons of new shit after over 100 hours as "much better in its first 30-40 hours" or even "50-60" according to other people who made similar complaints (which is still more than most games even last lol).

This man does an excellent review and analysis of BotW. A bit long but worth it.

https://youtu.be/T15-xfUr8z4

No he doesn't. Mark Brown does.

yeah,and that's why ganon is so undewhelming...during the game i thought the battle would have been like 10 lynels at once

You can face Ganon literally after you exit the Plateau. Did that look believable to you?

Macchiato

Well I freaking suck at the game so I never felt overpowered lmao. I think a lot of those complaints come from very seasoned gamers, but if something becomes too hard, then for a lot of more moderate/inexperienced gamers will quickly lose interest.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I get your point, OP, but I disagree
I've loved to be allowed to become more powerful, in order to increase the range of my possible chance to actually extend my exploration/combat range

Boss Man

I think it's a valid point, but I don't think the game did progression any worse than the average game does it.

If they wanted to improve, I think it could simply slow down and leave more time with greater challenge.

13ruce

Banned
This is why i kinda kept like 9 hearts and never upgraded my armour.

I'm probably the only one excited for hard/master mode lol. Planning on a second playthrough on June 30.

Top Bottom