• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons & Dragons Chronicles of Mystara's Japanese PS3 retail release is different?!

The Asian retail release is now out apparently. I have the limited edition Japanese retail version coming to me, but I, and I suspect, many others here would be very curious to know if the Asian version contains English text. Let's hope someone grabs a copy and informs the rest of us.

The Asian retail release is now out apparently. I have the limited edition Japanese retail version coming to me, but I, and I suspect, many others here would be very curious to know if the Asian version contains English text. Let's hope someone grabs a copy and informs the rest of us.

indeed!

duckroll

The Asian version is just the Japanese version. There is no difference in software.

Yes Boss!

I got this in the mail yesterday.

Got to check it out for a bit. First off, it is not M2 (as surmised). But, that said, it is just as good. Games looks amazing and there are just tons of menus and options for everything. Most impressive is the really, really nice image tweaking options...even to the point that you can introduce a little color drift and jidder to get the image looking like a great CRT. It is actually very impressive and I've not seen such nice image options since Raiden Fighters Aces (very much the standard). I've not seen any option for english (in game or at the menu-level), but it is easy enough.

Be sure to grab this set as it is tons better than the Iron Galaxy job.

Got to check it out for a bit. First off, it is not M2 (as surmised). But, that said, it is just as good. Games looks amazing and there are just tons of menus and options for everything. Most impressive is the really, really nice image tweaking options...even to the point that you can introduce a little color drift and jidder to get the image looking like a great CRT. It is actually very impressive and I've not seen such nice image options since Raiden Fighters Aces (very much the standard). I've not seen any option for english (in game or at the menu-level), but it is easy enough.

Are you referring to the Japanese release or the Asian release?

GamerJM

Banned
My Japanese copy should be coming in the mail. I thought it was supposed to be a different kind of emulation or something?

fionel

I'm very curious about the new hardest difficulty. I hope there's actually something new there instead of just giving the enemies more HP/more aggressive AI, etc.

OTOH I appreciate the option to disable the goddamn kicks :)

Tizoc

What are you talking about? It's not M2, and it's only been on sale for two days. The shipment isn't even 100k. :p

...yeah you're right, wonder why I said M2 @_@
...but I recall reading somewhere that it shipped more than Wonderful 101 in Japan.

Thanks for the impressions man!

Yes Boss!

Here is the video option menu if somebody would be kind enough to translate.

It does not have your standard scanline on/off type of thing. It has a softening on and off option. Then it has two other toggles (the one just above the highlighted, that says 2), that make the image better...does something with the pixels or something. Then you have an option for jitter-noise, level 1-5. And then an option for color shift, 1-10.

The best way to describe the image is as if you are playing on an amiga monitor or something. I think it looks very pleasing.

null_zps1dc52c06.jpg

duckroll

Screen Size - H: 75%, V: 100%, 4:3, FullSize
Smoothing - On
Scanline - Type 2
Flicker - 1
Cross-color - 0
Reset to Default
Back

Yes Boss!

Smoothing - On
Scanline - Type 2
Flicker - 1
Cross-color - 0
Reset to Default
Back

Ok, thanks.

So option 3 is in fact a Scanline. It is very sublte...but combined with the smoothing and flicker it makes for an excellent image. Very monitor-like.

No need for any of that cross-color. That just monkeys with the value to simulate an unadjusted monitor.

ranmafan

Got my copy of the limited edition this week. Finally got some real time playing it tonight. The options to make it look more like an old school arcade machine screen are quite cool. And the games are great. Been wanting to play it for years. Glad I finally have a chance to. The special edition goodies are nice too, especially the big book dedicated to shadow of mystara. Worth all the yen I paid for it.

Got my copy of the limited edition this week. Finally got some real time playing it tonight. The options to make it look more like an old school arcade machine screen are quite cool. And the games are great. Been wanting to play it for years. Glad I finally have a chance to. The special edition goodies are nice too, especially the big book dedicated to shadow of mystara. Worth all the yen I paid for it.

My LE is coming soon, but I am kinda bummed to here the Asian version doesn't have English. I've been told the game is more difficult to play and you miss out on a fair bit when playing in Japanese (for those of us who don't read the language).

Yes Boss!

My LE is coming soon, but I am kinda bummed to here the Asian version doesn't have English. I've been told the game is more difficult to play and you miss out on a fair bit when playing in Japanese (for those of us who don't read the language).

Just tag-team it on the PSN/XBLA/Wii U english release. $15. Gets a version to use in tandem.

DoubleTap

Here is the video option menu if somebody would be kind enough to translate.

It does not have your standard scanline on/off type of thing. It has a softening on and off option. Then it has two other toggles (the one just above the highlighted, that says 2), that make the image better...does something with the pixels or something. Then you have an option for jitter-noise, level 1-5. And then an option for color shift, 1-10.

The best way to describe the image is as if you are playing on an amiga monitor or something. I think it looks very pleasing.

null_zps1dc52c06.jpg

Smoothing - On
Scanline - Type 2
Flicker - 1
Cross-color - 0
Reset to Default
Back

Thanks for this guys. I'm getting my Asian release soon. Is the main menu and option screen hard to figure out?

Mine just got delivered this weekend. Going to pick it up today.
Sounds like all-round, it's a superior product to the PSN release.

I got the LE today, it's pretty neat, but this was supposed to come with a download code for a PS3 theme. As I don't read Japanese I am not sure where this code is. Was it something that was mailed to Japanese buyers or was it a physical piece of paper with a code written on it in the set itself? Anyone Know? I can't seem to find anything resembling a PSN code in this thing.

*Update* Nevermind :), I think I may have found it. It's on the inside part of the game sleeve.

duckroll

I got the LE today, it's pretty neat, but this was supposed to come with a download code for a PS3 theme. As I don't read Japanese I am not sure where this code is. Was it something that was mailed to Japanese buyers or was it a physical piece of paper with a code written on it in the set itself? Anyone Know? I can't seem to find anything resembling a PSN code in this thing.

Where did you order it from? You should check with the place you ordered from because the LE is a E-Capcom exclusive in Japan, and they mailed the bonus download code to the email attached to the E-Capcom account which pre-ordered the game. There should be another DLC theme which is a normal pre-order bonus, that one should be inside the packaging of the game case itself.

Where did you order it from? You should check with the place you ordered from because the LE is a E-Capcom exclusive in Japan, and they mailed the bonus download code to the email attached to the E-Capcom account which pre-ordered the game. There should be another DLC theme which is a normal pre-order bonus, that one should be inside the packaging of the game case itself.

I got mine from play asia. Also, where in the settings do I turn the English voice overs on? I have to say, this is clearly a superior release and it's a real shame there wasn't an English version of this particular release, truly.

Tain

Just got my standard edition. What's the deal with this code in the packaging? That's not the same as the LE theme code, right?

Still haven't tried this, drowning in other new stuff, but I'll give it a quick look later tonight.

Just got my standard edition. What's the deal with this code in the packaging? That's not the same as the LE theme code, right?

Still haven't tried this, drowning in other new stuff, but I'll give it a quick look later tonight.

There is a psn code for a theme in the initial batches of standard ps3 copies of the game, but the limited edition also had an additional theme as well. This additional theme code as was sent to the account of whoever preordered the game form ecapcom. I got a hold of playasia and they sent me the code and I got my second theme :).

duckroll

Nice. Glad to hear you got your code. :)

You change the voices to English in the "Sound" menu here:

img_option_thumb07.jpg

It's the option that's highlighted (Character Voice), and you want the option to be exactly what it says in the screen here, which is English.

Thank you, my roommate can read a little bit of rough Japanese and got me to the same place, but much appreciated all the same. A real shame this isn't in English, it's such a drastically more robust release. I am hoping someone can just release a mini guide with pics that show translations for the various menu options.

Well I got my LE but Nippon-Yasan.Com is not giving me a code they say they never got it which is a lie because above someone said it goes to the accounts email. I am not sure what to do.

eXistor

Well I got my LE but Nippon-Yasan.Com is not giving me a code they say they never got it which is a lie because above someone said it goes to the accounts email. I am not sure what to do.

What code is this? For the premium theme? I'm not using mine if you want it, but you might be talking about a different code, because mine is on the inside of my case.

fionel

2 different versions huh?
dame2.png

So the JP PS3 version is the one to get?

I have both and I think the JP version is definitely better. A very nicely implemented scanline option, extensive button configurations, a true gallery of arts and original design documents unlike some of the completely irrelevant artworks in the US version. Oh and they also have a new game+ mode that can make the game harder than the highest difficulty, which is nice for the hardcore players.

There are some bells and whistles in the US version too like the gameplay modifiers but IMO they don't really enhance the gameplay in any meaningful way. I would say the JP version, being handled by some of the original staff, was more thoughtfully put-together package.

PhineBuyM3

I have both and I think the JP version is definitely better. A very nicely implemented scanline option, extensive button configurations, a true gallery of arts and original design documents unlike some of the completely irrelevant artworks in the US version. Oh and they also have a new game+ mode that can make the game harder than the highest difficulty, which is nice for the hardcore players.

There are some bells and whistles in the US version too like the gameplay modifiers but IMO they don't really enhance the gameplay in any meaningful way. I would say the JP version, being handled by some of the original staff, was more thoughtfully put-together package.

That sounds good, Is it import friendly?

Top Bottom