• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/21 - 4/27

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Segata Sanshiro said:
ouch
ouch
ehhhh
ouch

I'm not sure Link's Crossbow Training is an "ouch".

If the game is bundle-only (I have no idea if it is), then sales patterns should mirror accessories which would suggest a higher turnover time / larger restock period. An accessory being widely sold out like the Wii Wheel currently is is pretty exceptional.

On the other hand, if it's game only then it's a little bomba. I wouldn't count chickens before they hatch after the Sonic and Mario Wii sales explosion starting from a dismal day, but the "ouch" would definitely be justified then.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Link's Crowwbow Training is a typical game that will sell in the long term. About the rest, I agree.
It's priced waaaaaaaaaaay too high. A plastic shell + tech demo for $20 was asking enough, a plastic shell that a lot of "shooter" fans on the system already have + tech demo for 4000 yen is bordering on completely unreasonable.

Culex

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

If the game is bundle-only (I have no idea if it is), then sales patterns should mirror accessories which would suggest a higher turnover time / larger restock period. An accessory being widely sold out like the Wii Wheel currently is is pretty exceptional.

On the other hand, if it's game only then it's a little bomba. I wouldn't count chickens before they hatch after the Sonic and Mario Wii sales explosion starting from a dismal day, but the "ouch" would definitely be justified then.

I'd agree, if it manages 50% (~75k) for the week, I'd say that a great start.

Lobster

Banned
king zell said:
first day sales

Link's Crossbow Training 36k ( 150 shipped )
Emblem of Gundam DS 13k
Hitman REBORN DS 12k
family of professional baseball stadium Wii 4600 ( 10% of shipped copies )

Japan just pwned Link's head for 36k gold
Japan just pwned Gundam's head for 13k gold
Japan has a double kill
Japan just pwned Hitman's head for 12k gold
Japan has a triple kill
Japan is owning
Japan just pwned pro baseball's head for 4600 gold
MEGAAA KILLL

That was so lame..so lame.

The-Switcher said:
Seems like Sony should just phase out the PS3 and PS2 altogether and just focus on the PSP in Japan.
2009 is the year of the PS3, belieeeve.

;) Are there any heavy hitters coming to it in the near future, except for MGS4?
I still think, that one day, sales will pick up. I think the PS3 won't have the typical "failed console" lifecycle with just 5k sales week over week till next gen. In a way, it'll be a bit like the PSP I think (but worse).

Emblem of Gundam just at 20% sell through is horrible but the 10% for Famista Wii is quite worse. It did quite good on DS yet on Wii meec, and that makes 2 out of 3 bombs for the Namco Family series on Wii.

There's one more title numbers, Nippon no Asoko de for the PSP (its a SCEJ game!), which barely sells 1300 with a 20% sell through :lol

DC R1D3R

Banned
Listen, I love my handheld gaming and the Wii is fun an all but seriously, WTF is up with Japanese hardcore gaming?!?

I really thought the PS3 would have picked up a bit by now but jeez. Hopefully MGS4 will rectify the situation somewhat otherwise, it's looking pretty sticky out there.

bachikarn

So I haven't been to a Media Create thread in a while. Is there any specific reason why PSP started to kick ass? Are the Wii/NDS supply constrained, or does everyone just want a PSP now?

botticus

DC R1D3R said:
Listen, I love my handheld gaming and the Wii is fun an all but seriously, WTF is up with Japanese hardcore gaming?!?

I really thought the PS3 would have picked up a bit by now but jeez. Hopefully MGS4 will rectify the situation somewhat otherwise, it's looking pretty sticky out there.
The disconnect you seem to place between "hardcore gaming" and "handheld gaming" doesn't really exist.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Emblem of Gundam just at 20% sell through is horrible but the 10% for Famista Wii is quite worse. It did quite good on DS yet on Wii meec, and that makes 2 out of 3 bombs for the Namco Family series on Wii.

Probably because 2 out of 3 of the Namco Family series were dumb in concept, and unoriginal in execution. Family Ski sold well because it was a decent idea that took advantage of a market that had a huge vacuum.

bachikarn said:
So I haven't been to a Media Create thread in a while. Is there any specific reason why PSP started to kick ass? Are the Wii/NDS supply constrained, or does everyone just want a PSP now?
The slim redesign really caught on, they've been rolling out new colours at appropriate times to keep momentum, and Monster Hunter Portable Second G is bigger than sushi at the moment.

EDarkness

Stumpokapow said:

The game is only sold with the zapper here. I have yet to see it any other way. If you already own a zapper, then there's no reason to pick it up. On top of that it's a little overpriced if you ask me. The game is $20 in the states, but $35 here. I'd pick it up for 2000 yen. Either way, I'd say it sold pretty well all things considered.

The other games...well...I think it serves Namco right for milking those family games to death. Hopefully Hitman will pick up, but I wonder if people are just getting tired of gaming in general here.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
DC R1D3R said:

MGS4 will do the same that VF5, Gundam Musou, Hot Shots Golf 5, Uncharted, Ratchet, Motorstorm, Resistance, DMC4, GT5P, Winning Eleven, Musou 5, Riiiidge Raaacer, NGS, Yakuza 3 and others did for PS3. A two weeks small bump.

PS3 only chances to start selling well there in my mind are GT5 and FFXIII (and maybe white knight chronicles). And seeing SE, Level 5 delaying eternally their games, I wonder if they are ever going to be released.

Struct09

PantherLotus said:
mc-marketshare-pie-74.jpg

This is the first gen where we see Pac-Man in the weekly charts

m3k

perfectchaos007 said:
I know Nintendo did that with Gameboy Color and GBA. I may be wrong but I believe they also made a transparent Original Gameboy towards the end of its life.

yeah they did have an original transparent gameboy... a guy from work left it in the office sometimes

only tetris :(

Gaborn

Mato said:
I'm still at loss as to what's going on with PSP hardware sales.

New PSP color, and I'd guess MHP2G (actually it's almost scary, this week MHP2G sales are almost completely identical to the number of units hardware sold. That doesn't mean all new PSP owners bought it, but it is interesting).

More curious is the fact that MKWii hasn't provided a significantly measurable bump to Wii sales despite being very strong selling.

Jonnyram said:
There hasn't been a single SCEJ game released for PS3 this year - the company themselves are letting the system die.
Well they didn't have that many system sellers on PS2 to begin with. I think we all agree that Sony can't drive hardware sales all alone. PS3 gets the heavy hitters but lacks a steady flow of software and I guess that won't ever change - I think it's inherent to the choices made with the plattform.

king zell said:
first day sales

Link's Crossbow Training 36k ( 150 shipped )
Emblem of Gundam DS 13k
Hitman REBORN DS 12k
family of professional baseball stadium Wii 4600 ( 10% of shipped copies )
OK LCT numbers, the rest bombed pretty hard.

Gaborn said:
More curious is the fact that MKWii hasn't provided a significantly measurable bump to Wii sales despite being very strong selling.
It did provide a bump since the sales did not go down as fast as they probably would have without its release. Just like with VC. PS3 probably would have went down even further than last week. Remember that it's a very slow sales period. With golden week we'll see sales go up again.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
PantherLotus said:
...but you quoted the Market Share chart, which hasn't changed visually since March 2007...
What about changing the Wii color to yellow?

Cheesemeister,

There is a problem with the LTD numbers. Indeed, the LTD numbers were adjusted in week April 07-13 2008 from the LTD numbers published by MC. LTD numbers in week April 14-20 were calculated according to these new LTD numbers. However, LTD numbers in week April 21-27 were calculated with old LTD numbers...

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 31.5 / 68.5, bringing total shares to 71.1 / 28.9. At this week's rates, PSP catches up to DS in 266.5 weeks (June 6, 2013). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 144.1 weeks (January 31, 2011).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 15.7 / 84.3, bringing total shares to 25.7 / 74.3. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 420.7 weeks (May 20, 2016).

jarrod

Banned
Fafalada said:
The last I heard Nintendo had it shipped over 1M, which presumably makes it fastest selling console here(previous being PSP or maybe PS2). It's also been the most marketed piece of gaming hw ever in this country (we'll see if they treat Wii the same way) - and the first one with actual TV ads.

That said, I heard mentions that this generation of consoles has been doing noticeably better than last one (HD consoles especially).
Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony have all really been going out of their way in Korea this gen it seems. Nintendo's "2nd party" deal with Nexon for Maple Story DS (co-developed in SK/JP, being published by Nintendo) is pretty huge in itself. And then there's the deal for Mabinogi 360 too.

360's also leading PS3 from what I understand... Gamasutra had some great interviews a little while back with various Korean developers

RJT

Souldriver said:
I guess it's because of his ongoing love affair with Amir0x? Why don't these two just get a room.
I thought it could be because of the no whining rule. Or backseat modding. Could be that, though.

Man, was he on a roll today... I hope he comes back though. I'm still waiting for Borys :(

RJT said:
I thought it could be because of the no whining rule. Or backseat modding. Could be that, though.

Man, was he on a roll today... I hope he comes back though. I'm still waiting for Borys :(

You are waiting at the wrong forum ...

RJT

Forgotten Ancient said:
You are waiting at the wrong forum ...
Maybe. But I like GAF's banning policy.
Even though Borys and Pantherlotus are cool, I can understand their banning...

The-Switcher said:
Seems like Sony should just phase out the PS3 and PS2 altogether and just focus on the PSP in Japan.

Souldriver said:
I still think, that one day, sales will pick up. I think the PS3 won't have the typical "failed console" lifecycle with just 5k sales week over week till next gen. In a way, it'll be a bit like the PSP I think (but worse).

Yeah, the PSP rallied and now has pretty impressive weekly and LTD numbers. Software is another matter, but some things do sell.

The PSP got a re-design and Monster Hunter. With maybe a re-design to shrink that monster, and Final Fantasy, the PS3 could pull out and not be a complete dud.

Putting Link's Crossbow Training on WiiWare for $10 later this year should be a no-brainer, if Nintendo would get a clue and give us a storage solution.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pureauthor said:
Anyone have any idea what's the next DS game release expected to break 100K?

If you mean "what DS game will next break 100k", We Are Fossil Holders and Drum Master 2 are both locks on breaking the barrier. Summon Night has a chance.

If you mean "which is the next currently unreleased DS game to break 100k", then that's a little more complicated. Glory of Heracles VI (Eternal Chronicle) might or might not break 100k next month. The next DS Gundam game is a lock, and that's May 29. DQV in July.

donny2112

test_account said:
What does this mean? English isnt my first language :\

Your comparison was meant to show the silliness of comparing Wii Fit to PS3 (which is something I agree with).

From mio's comments when posting his chart, it seems that he actually wanted to compare Wii Fit to MHP2G, since they had a similar LTD. No underlying commentary on the merits of comparing Wii Fit (or the Wii Board) to the PS3, and, therefore, no similar reply on his chart.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Your comparison was meant to show the silliness of comparing Wii Fit to PS3 (which is something I agree with).

From mio's comments when posting his chart, it seems that he actually wanted to compare Wii Fit to MHP2G, since they had a similar LTD. No underlying commentary on the merits of comparing Wii Fit (or the Wii Board) to the PS3, and, therefore, no similar reply on his chart.
Ah ok, like that, thanks for the answer :) My previous comment wasnt too serious though, hence the ";)", but if that is what you ment i withdraw that comment, sorry.

What i think is silly with the WiiFit VS PS3 comparison is if its ment to mock the PS3's preformance in Japan. I'm not accusing anyone of doing it, but sometimes (far from always, but sometimes) that comparison has felt like it is being done to mock PS3's poor preformance, atleast in my opinion. PS3 is doing very poorly in Japan, no deying that, but i'm not a big fan of if PS3's preformance is mocked. Sony has put much money into PS3 so iin my opinion ts a pity that they dont have more success. I wish everyone could have success when they have put much money and effort into things :) (It can be discussed on how much effort Sony is putting into PS3 in Japan right now, but i would guess that just to make a console takes quite some effort).

Since WiiFit and PS3 are quite different and targets differnt audience (atleast in my opinion) i havnt really seen the resemblance in this comparison, thats why i made that graph with MHP2G VS WiiFit comparison earlier. However, serious WiiFit VS PS3 comparisons, i.e like the graph you made a while ago, those i think are just fine, i have no problem with those comparisons. When you said that you were comparing the balance board only i realized that your graph actually shows something that is a valid point, that developers can possibly can a PS3 project in favor of the Wiiboard due to simular userbase and that WiiFit (balance board) seems more popular.

Top Bottom