• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kado ep 3

This exact the exact amount of kawaii scientist that is tolerable. Have her give a line here and there. But never give make her into one of the main players. My heaven won't last for long though. I'm sure she will eventually have a bigger role.

The show continues to be a fairly slow burn of politics and debate. At points it seems like the sci fi setting is largely there to slowly promote some nationalistic shit I'm not seeing quite yet but is slowly creeping towards the plot.

So the alien's whole role in coming to
our dimension and earth is to advance society
. If sci-fi, and anime, has told me anything is that if things look too good then there is a second reason for them. Eagerly awaiting episodes each week, it has been such a nice surprise.

edit: wait did the third season of seven deadly sins come out or is metroid just watching the first season?

John Blade

5ebde9a123840957fc6b14b70ebbf1f446b3af44_hq.jpg

Wait....they never really get together and express they love. Only Rihoko did have feeling toward Tachibana but never really share it in this arc (unless you call the tea room scene at the end). This is so different from the game ending as both did express their love together. Is this cheating the process here? This feel like those normal ending from those dating slim where Tachibana did something bad toward Rihoko (aka: cheap on her or never meet up for a date) and Rihoko forgive him and he try to work together with her to gain her respect so, he join the Tea club because of this. I might understand they want to alter the ending for Rihoko Sakurai Arc from the game to the Anime but you have to have the proper ending like the other girls arc orelse this feel like a one side love (which it feel a bit here).

Sigh....let's push that ending aside, the story development is fine for the most part as you can see both of them are getting closer once more even though they're friends since child. For Rihoko Sakurai, she might be a perfect woman to you if you like someone who is a bit of an airhead and like to eat pasty food (hope you like THICCCC lady). Also, she know how to bake pastry quite well and if push a bit, she will be committed to get the job done (but this is rare so, don't expect to happen too often). Also, might not be as smart but she does have curve body if you like someone with a bit more fat there.

Overall, a decent arc of telling a story of Rihoko Sakurai and her friends she have in the tea club.
image_861504170620212459146.gif

Tsuki ga kirei - 01

LOL at the kid getting coffee to impress the girl. Pretty adorable little show this is, I like how low-key and innocent these 2 are.

Jarmel

Banned
Kado-3
uXivTZs.jpg

And the right answer is watching Kado
This is really good. The show feels like it was written by an actual human being, possibly one with a physicist background. However looking into the writer's, Nozaki Mado, background, he seems to be a veterinarian. So I'm wondering whether he consulted with some theoretical physicists then? There's so many smaller details that I feel most authors would have ignored such as the security around the meeting or the focus on speed over accuracy in regards to communication. Too many scriptwriters would had fallen into the trap of over-explaining everything leading to the detriment of the pacing. Instead the show lays out brief outlines of concepts and quickly moves on. The show doesn't do an exceptional job of explaining some things but I think it does get the point across. It seems intentional to a large degree going by the other characters' reactions and Shindo having to do multiple TLDR; summaries.
Gu3iVF2.jpg

i recognize some of these words
This episode continued the theme of challenges with communication. It has Shindo repeatedly conflicting with Yaha about how to best present information. Yaha prefers accuracy while Shindo favors speed and simplicity. The two characters also are starting to develop a bit of a repertoire. Then there's the female negotiator, Tsukai, who wants to focus more on Shindo in the negotiations because she can possibly read him easier than Yaha. Not to mention some minor things in regards to body language such as Tsukai laughing when Shindo cut off Yaha or Shindo facepalming when Yaha was using his comparison of Wam with bread.
adKYLH8.jpg
Brp42Gn.jpg

Nice touch how Wam lit up things that were already turned off such as the runways.
This episode lays out some background information relating to Yaha but I'm still not 100% sure where the story is going as I don't know what the human race could negotiate with in order to get
unlimited energy. The broken hearts of schoolgirls? Is Kyubey in that cube somewhere?
I doubt Yaha is doing this purely out of the goodness of his heart. Next episode looks like it's taking the Arrival approach with
there possibly being a war over the rights to Wam.
I can't even blame the other countries in this scenario. That sort of leap in tech is way too huge for one country to have ownership of. I'm surprised the US hasn't stepped in already. The show is going for a realistic look at a first contact scenario so this seems inevitable. I'm surprised how good of a job they're doing with it all though.

Kado ep 3

This exact the exact amount of kawaii scientist that is tolerable. Have her give a line here and there. But never give make her into one of the main players. My heaven won't last for long though. I'm sure she will eventually have a bigger role.

The show continues to be a fairly slow burn of politics and debate. At points it seems like the sci fi setting is largely there to slowly promote some nationalistic shit I'm not seeing quite yet but is slowly creeping towards the plot.

So the alien's whole role in coming to
our dimension and earth is to advance society
. If sci-fi, and anime, has told me anything is that if things look too good then there is a second reason for them. Eagerly awaiting episodes each week, it has been such a nice surprise.
I mean next episode preview seems to be indicating that things are more complex since it seems like it'll be about an international reaction to Japan now seemingly having a source of effectively infinite energy. It should be an interesting thing to explore, because while the whole bread analogy seems obvious and intuitive at a glance, there's obviously a lot more factors in play that can complicate it, especially when the countries who you share with may use that power against them if they go that route

You take what you can get. The only other "female sport series" people can mention in this thread is the little girl basketball one.

Had no idea Keijo was doing so badly manga sales wise. Figured it wasn't doing hot anime sales wise, but same can be said of 90% of anime that airs a season.

Chihayafuru?

Jarmel

Banned
Fafner Exodus 9

Iwao Teraoka sure has a way with action choreography.

That remind me, so are the CGI action sequences storyboarded by the normal staff such as Teraoka or is that done internally at Orange? It seems like it could be the later just on the premise of knowing what is technically feasible or not. Things like heavy camera rotation seems like a real pain in the ass to storyboard so I'm wondering whether the director or storyboarder have an idea and just do the sequences on a computer rather than drawing it out.

Kado 3

Yep, this is anime of the season so far.

Although, it's probably the least ANNNIMMMEEE, anime of the season as well.

Berserk 16

IKAKrho.png

Occasionally this show kinda works.

That remind me, so are the CGI action sequences storyboarded by the normal staff such as Teraoka or is that done internally at Orange? It seems like it could be the later just on the premise of knowing what is technically feasible or not. Things like heavy camera rotation seems like a real pain in the ass to storyboard so I'm wondering whether the director or storyboarder have an idea and just do the sequences on a computer rather than drawing it out.

If a show alternates scenes animated in 2D with scenes of full CG animation there can be separate storyboarding credits for the two types of animation. For example, Majin Bone has different storyboarding and direction credits in each episode for the CG action sequences done by Dimps compared with the storyboarding and direction for the 2D animation done by Toei. But Fafner Exodus always integrates CG and 2D - the mechanical animation itself is constantly going back and forth between the two depending on the kind of shot - so it's not like Orange can just handle the action storyboarding by themselves. Plus, as far as this episode specifically goes, the kind of aerial camera movement used is very similar to Teraoka's storyboarding in other shows such as Gundam Build Fighters.

I mean next episode preview seems to be indicating that things are more complex since it seems like it'll be about an international reaction to Japan now seemingly having a source of effectively infinite energy. It should be an interesting thing to explore, because while the whole bread analogy seems obvious and intuitive at a glance, there's obviously a lot more factors in play that can complicate it, especially when the countries who you share with may use that power against them if they go that route

for all that is holy, please have a Trump-esque US president saying they'll bomb Japan because they can use the energy to make like nuclear weapons

edit:

on another note I love this web comic. Making fun of shitty anime tropes ftw lmao

Jarmel

Banned
But Fafner Exodus always integrates CG and 2D - the mechanical animation itself is constantly going back and forth between the two depending on the kind of shot - so it's not like Orange can just handle the action storyboarding by themselves.

That actually makes me wonder whether any of Exodus's episodes were outsourced. The way Xebec does mecha now would make it hard to just outsource episodes. They could probably outsource the key animation though.

The production schedule makes it seem like everything was done in-house.

John Blade

Wow...just saw a dark side of Tsukasa Ayatsuji which I didn't see before at the end. This might get interesting and lewdly depend where this story goes. I am starting to like this arc a bit now.

That actually makes me wonder whether any of Exodus's episodes were outsourced. The way Xebec does mecha now would make it hard to just outsource episodes. They could probably outsource the key animation though.

The production schedule makes it seem like everything was done in-house.

It looks like 5 episodes were outsourced over the course of Exodus. (3, 11, 15, 18, and 20.)

trejo

Love Tyrant 3

As a comedy that is merely amusing on occasion I was just about ready to cut my losses and toss it aside with the introduction of the imouto but then I saw the next episode preview (NSFW) and, well, let's just say my interest was piqued all of a sudden for some reason.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul 03
Maybe there's still hope for this season. Nina's transformation stuff being such a prominent part of the show is great.

John Blade

e291f8a3b1e777f7fe82e6152138846f5117b9f7_hq.jpg

* A small note: the ending for Tsukasa Ayatsuji Arc from the TV show is much better I have to say over the PS2 ending which sound not bad on paper, doesn't feel right when you think about it if they pull it off into anime. I guess the creator of the anime feel the same as they use the general idea from the best ending and put it into the show but manage to do a 180 turn back and still have the better ending for the anime (kinda pleasing both side I have to say) and work. That's my 2 cent from reading this game ending over the anime ending.

Well, got to say this might be one of the strongest arc in the series as you got to see something I didn't expect to see when going into this arc and was a big surprise. Even with the big surprise, I must commend Tachibana to see the side which most people never see from Tsukasa Ayatsuji and still love her for it which push Tsukasa Ayatsuji over the edge a bit at the end. Still, the final ending for the arc was great to watch as you got to see what happen to them 10 years later.

Now, in real life, this type of ladies who have the same personalities like Tsukasa Ayatsuji, might not be the wise choice to be in love as she will make you her bitch and will control your life. I guess if you want a strong ladies attitude, who have a split personalities and found way to destroy you if you disobey her, I guess might be the right lady for you. Oh don't forget, she is hard working and have perfect personality which might be good if you're into those type of lady.
1374445756037.gif

*She is the perfect tsundere for guys who love those stuff.

Clov

Watched my Sailor Moon R: The Movie Blu-Ray with my fiance tonight. It's my first BD from Viz, and it didn't seem that bad. I guess it helps that the movie actually was restored from the film, and wasn't upscaled like the TV series was. For the most part, the movie looked very nice, with the exception of one single part I forgot entirely about; that horrendous shot where they go into space, and the flower meteor is shown in CG. Wow, did it look terrible. It was like a heavily compressed gif had been spliced into the shot.

The short extra "Make-Up! Sailor Senshi" also seems to have been properly restored, which was nice. It definitely feels low budget, though; they include a lot of questionable looking shots and moments when going over each character. As in, "I'm surprised they thought this looked good" type of quality.

cj_iwakura

Izetta 06

It's sad that all I could think about during the waltz(which was all stills) was 'ANIMATION BUDGET!'.

And that the not-Germany scenes are way more interesting than moe mahou shenanigans.

Cornbread78

Izetta 06

It's sad that all I could think about during the waltz(which was all stills) was 'ANIMATION BUDGET!'.

And that the not-Germany scenes are way more interesting than moe mahou shenanigans.

Intresting premise that falls flat at times. Not a bad show overall though.

Grexeno

Dropped most of the shows that I watched the first 2-3 episodes of.

Keeping:

My Hero Academia Season 2
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul
KADO: The Right Answer
The Eccentric Family 2
Little Witch Academia
Tsukigakirei
and Attack on Titan Season 2 since it's Toonami-bound

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Holy crap.... Nozomi is releasing Sora no Woto on BD!

Maybe there's hope for Aria and Tamayura after all... just need to wait 5 years!

KraytarJ

My watch list:
MHA S2
AoT S2
Love Tyrant
Sakura Quest
Saekano.flat
Virgin Soul
Tsukigakirei
Ninja Girl & Samurai Master S2

On the bubble:
WorldEnd
Boruto
Re: Creators

Narag

I probably wasn't around.

Also, I had no idea that Yamato 2202 happened... and of course there's no way to watch it. Anime is dead. :(

Learn Japanese and import it.

Or wait for wherever it lands as I'm certain the usage of the Starblazers 2199 on one of the early trailers tipped the hand it'll end up streaming somewhere.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mNdzOGIl.jpg

jGjLEuNl.jpg

Well, they have their priorities straight. :p

For understanding like a quarter of what was going on, this didn't seem to bad. I'm not sure why I'm supposed to think it's crap, beyond the fact that the production staff is made up of B-teamers.

phaze

Virgin Soul 03

Anime can be actually good, who knew ?

I'm skeptical of whether the writing chops are there to deliver more than just a fun romp but I'll take that too with this execution. This was mostly all buildup and it still flew by.

Disappointed in Rita for not catching the identity of the master ahead of time.

You take what you can get. The only other "female sport series" people can mention in this thread is the little girl basketball one.

Had no idea Keijo was doing so badly manga sales wise. Figured it wasn't doing hot anime sales wise, but same can be said of 90% of anime that airs a season.
Bamboo Blade was good craic when I watched it about a year ago on Funimation, one of the few I've watched all the way to the end

Taruranto

Kado-3

This is really good. The show feels like it was written by an actual human being, possibly one with a physicist background. However looking into the writer's, Nozaki Mado, background, he seems to be a veterinarian. So I'm wondering whether he consulted with some theoretical physicists then?

I read Nozaki Mado is actually a decently famous sci-fi writer in Japan who was nominated for some major award, but don't quote me on that.

Kado 2-3

Much better than episodes 0-1. I always liked 'alien first contact' stories, so once they finally started it for real, I dig this shit up.
They have made a few things right in these episodes, like:
-grating genki scientist girl appearing less
-an interesting twist in that the protagonist isn't the main negotiator of humans, but he is in the 'opposite' side of the table, helping the alien communicate.
-the alien is humanoid in appearance but it's forgiven but it's really a 'vessel' created to communicate for humans, he isn't really human-like.
-he feels alien with the discussion about accuracy of communication and inherent problems around it.
-the series tries to show a pseudo-realistic higher dimension being, which allows him to interact with our universe in more arbitrary ways, like appearing and disappearing parts in different places. This is akin to the famous example of 3d beings like us being able to interact with 'Flatland', a 2d plane universe. For their inhabitants, it would appear we can do impossible things like teleporting or accessing impassable zones.

edit: What do you think is the 'right answer'? I think is
not accepting the free unlimited energy, that sounds a bit like a trap. Instead, ask to learn the technology itself the way to access other dimensions'. Advance human technology instead of depending of gifts that we don't understand. if someone is hungry don't give him food, show him how to farm efficiently.

Jex

[Virgin Soul] - 3

It took me a moment to realise Rita's disembodied hand assistant was actually Kaiser's old hand.

My Hero Academia super detailed character expressions 16
I'll need to control myself cause I have so many screenshots OMG
I mean the biggest thing about this episode is how freakin full of imagery and expressiveness they turned every scenes! This was crazy hype! Even the down-time of the people elaborating strategize was hype as hell! with everyone thinking of who to pick and how to approach the best team making.
Bakugo of course was popular and the way Kirishima interacted with him to convince him was great. Play with his feelings! You got that it worked super well haha!
Midoriya situation was super funny and the very little details got me every time. The moment with him talking to Mei and Ochako being all *damn that girl* was hilarious! But we also had some cool dramatic moments with Iida this episode waiting to distance himself from always depending on Deku. Everyone in this episode was so well approached though. Mei really got to shine this episode and I just love her! From people from class 1-B to lesser present class-1A characters, this was super well made an episode. IT's just soooooooo awesome seeing all the interactions...the level of details on some basic emotions and moments just make this adaptation crazy goood!
I laughed hard at Bakugo clicking his tongue on the excessive violence clause.

BluWacky

I read Nozaki Mado is actually a decently famous sci-fi writer in Japan who was nominated for some major award, but don't quote me on that.

As per his Wikipedia page, this is the case; he was nominated for the Japan SF award (previous winners include From The New World, Dennou Coil etc.) for his novel "Know", which you can read a little about here. Yes, he studied to be a vet, but he's definitely mostly known for being an author.

(he also wrote a Fantasista Doll novel, but we'll gloss over that...)

As per his Wikipedia page, this is the case; he was nominated for the Japan SF award (previous winners include From The New World, Dennou Coil etc.) for his novel "Know", which you can read a little about here. Yes, he studied to be a vet, but he's definitely mostly known for being an author.

(he also wrote a Fantasista Doll novel, but we'll gloss over that...)

Sometimes you have to do horrible things to survive.

Chase17

MHA 17
Fun episode.
The lida betrayal!
lida to Deku "I can't join you since I've been losing to you since the entrance exams"
*Proceeds to join team with top two in class*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom