• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub New Screens + HQ Re-Reveal Trailer

Vire

I'd love to know if this actual gameplay or from a super sampled photo/replay mode equivalent. Looks incredible.

Amagon

I'm in dire need of racing, I need this game right now.

DriveClub and Project Cars by the end of the year and GRID is also coming, but that one I might get it on PC since there's no PS4 version, however I sense a new DIRT is in the works for the PS4/XB1. Seems like a great year for racing fans and I hope I can finally end my hungry for driving soon.

You and me both my brother.

I'd love to know if this actual gameplay or from a super sampled photo/replay mode equivalent. Looks incredible.

I am having great difficulty getting my mind around the fact that this is real-time, running on a PS4, despite the assurance at the beginning of the trailer. I can't get my mind around it. How is this possible? It looks like real life. Simply amazing. And still in Year One, folks.

I'm sure almost everyone in this thread is aware of Project CARS. DC looks better, certainly on PS4, and arguably compared to PC as well.

Well, let's just say that with Driveclub we have seen what THEY want us to see, and you see it towards the end of development. I agree DC looks better on PS4 than pCARS looks on PS4 so far, but neither game is done yet. People have seen far more of pCARS in a very alpha state.

I think pCARS looks more realistic. Driveclub has nicer environments even though I think the contrasty/filtered look makes it look less realistic. Damage will be pretty great in pCARS, I wonder what it will be like in Driveclub?

Either way, the competition is great. :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Too bad trailer is supersampled. I really would like to see what the game would actually look like for once, especially now that we know PS4 games can look perfectly fine without cheating the viewer. Infamous SS didn't need to use supersampling for its trailers and promo videos, and people were that much more impressed for it. Yeah, we know it will have a few jaggies even if it's using same AA method Infamous did - but it's not a big deal. Don't put "Captured From PS4" when that in fact stretches the truth to its limits, as PS4 was probably rendering this at 10FPS or something.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Too bad trailer is supersampled. I really would like to see what the game would actually look like for once, especially now that we know PS4 games can look perfectly fine without cheating the viewer. Infamous SS didn't need to use supersampling for its trailers and promo videos, and people were that much more impressed for it. Yeah, we know it will have a few jaggies even if it's using same AA method Infamous did - but it's not a big deal. Don't put "Captured From PS4" when that in fact stretches the truth to its limits, as PS4 was probably rendering this at 10FPS or something.

Read just a few posts up...

Yiazmat

Did anyone else noticed that, outside of cockpit view, the reflection on the side mirrors of all cars is just a picture pasted there? This can be seen better from 00:57 to 00:59 where the camera and car are moving but the reflection don't change at all. lol

Game looks beautiful, but I'm pretty skeptical that these shots have been significantly touched up. The 4th to last image has the rear view mirror of the car reflecting itself, which is something that, to my knowledge, no game has ever done in real time.

Yeah, I also think they've been touched up.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Read just a few posts up...
Call me a cynic, but I still don't see that as a confirmation. You can set up the debug camera path and then output supersampled screens into a video feed. I have no doubt the game looks precisely like that trailer except for the AA method btw. I just don't see how this kind of AA quality would be possible without supersampling.

Horizon used MSAA and FXAA, which blurred the image very severely (especially when upscaled to 1080p). I would prefer developers go without AA than use FXAA, but I think I'm not espousing a popular viewpoint here. I thought Forza 5 looked great; some thought it looked too jaggy.
Curious what you thought about FXAA implementation in TR:DF or Trine on PS4. I thought it looked pretty fantastic in both. I think high-end FXAA can look very nice at 1080p, even though I really disliked the low end variant in 720p on older consoles.

Samoon

Neo Member
I am as hyped as this game as anyone here and is going to buy it day 1, but can someone please tell me are people overreacting here?

This game looks fantastic, but the reaction in this thread is unreal. Honestly, I just downloaded the HD trailer and yea it looks good but not to the level of some of the reaction in here.

On the subject of FXAA, I'm pretty sure that it always looks much cleaner and with minimal ghosting when the game is a steady 60fps, as TR: DE and Trine both are on PS4.

I am as hyped as this game as anyone here and is going to buy it day 1, but can someone please tell me are people overreacting here?

This game looks fantastic, but the reaction in this thread is unreal. Honestly, I just downloaded the HD trailer and yea it looks good but not to the level of some of the reaction in here.

Graphics whores. And with this title, there's been almost nothing but its heavy leaning on its high-quality visuals and a somewhat undetailed social element to go on.

Vire

What were you expecting exactly?... Jeez.

I honestly have never seen a better looking racing game.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Hopefully we'll get a better version than the one in the op next week. 11 Mbits bitrate is not that much more than our stream. Much better than youtube for sure, and it should be the minimum for 1080p content, but it could be so much better :)

kyser73

Y'know, after watching the YT trailer I was likeÝeah, I'll settle for the plus version'. but having just watched that trailer I'm in for the full game Day 1 (hopefully there will be an upgrade discount, but even if there isn't, screw that I'm still buying).

Had 3 non-gaming mates watch it who were all floored and one who is now considering buying a console and hasn't owned óne since his PS1.

SRTtoZ

Ok just watched the video.

Holy shit. If 30fps means THESE visuals then please give me these visuals. The only thing I'm concerned about is if its actually going to look like this come release. I want to see a race from cockpit view, none of the fancy camera angles/replay mode stuff.

Loudninja

Holy shit. If 30fps means THESE visuals then please give me these visuals. The only thing I'm concerned about is if its actually going to look like this come release. I want to see a race from cockpit view, none of the fancy camera angles/replay mode stuff.
We have videos with a few seconds of cockpit view.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=546970348720663&set=vb.423631211054578&type=2&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=546632275421137&set=vb.423631211054578&type=2&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=546192578798440&set=vb.423631211054578&type=2&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=535333056551059&set=vb.423631211054578&type=2&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=535702206514144&set=vb.423631211054578&type=2&theater

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst

Apparently, we get that May 9th along with IGN's AMA.

Hopefully the gameplay videos will also be released outside of IGN, though...

EGOMON

I hope no devs ever listen to you as you seem to have some bad ideas. Nobody likes a fraud and you're suggesting they fake it? Naa brah.

*This is not directed just at you but to all the 60fps complainers*
The devs do what they want to do and nobody is forcing anyone to buy the game. Just because a small group of people share a view point, that doesn't mean others share it as well. Why should the devs change it just for those people? The only people qualified to make decisions about what's best for the game is the devs. A game is essentially a project. It has a reason for existence, a scope, goals and the game is the final result of that project. You are presented with the game, you can either accept it or reject it. It's one thing to offer constructive criticism, but it's another to troll and beat a dead horse. They announced that the game would be 30fps and there was plenty of opportunities to voice your discontent. I'm quite sure that we have passed that phase now. By now everyone should have come to terms with the decision. The title of this thread isn't Driveclub fps discussion so can we stop turning every Driveclub thread into an fps discussion. If you want to complain about framerates, there's a thread for that. Just go look up the fps announcement thread and I'm sure everything you want to say has already been voiced.

I apologize to others for the rant.
/RantOver

Well said TheCloser, fps whining ruined every DC thread people need to move on

Freeman

Banned
No way this is true, the IQ is just too good.

At the same time, didn't evolution learn their lesson with their MotorStorm BS reveal, would they be silly enough to do it again?

If this is how the game is going to look... #dead.

No way this is true, the IQ is just too good.

At the same time, didn't evolution learn their lesson with their MotorStorm BS reveal, would they be silly enough to do it again?

If this is how the game is going to look... #dead.

Most racing Games use Replay Mode for Trailers. So I am 99% sure the game looks like this in Replay Mode. Lets see how it looks ingame (while driving), I hope it is close!

Kura

Banned
Looking really great. But the AA method makes it way too blurry. I think it could even seem like upscaled 720p, because there is no sharpness anywhere.

*raises shield*

R_Deckard

tumblr_m13xvmQEJh1qafeu4o1_250.gif

This game is just sumptuous, the AA the lighting... The lighting...details. Day one for me. Sony just keep on delivering and the delay was well worth it and the right thing to do.

Edit: This is not bullshots, all genuine and real, Sony have learned and Second Son has proved that a game can look even better in the flesh that PR work!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Horizon used MSAA and FXAA, which blurred the image very severely (especially when upscaled to 1080p). I would prefer developers go without AA than use FXAA, but I think I'm not espousing a popular viewpoint here. I thought Forza 5 looked great; some thought it looked too jaggy.

For me, forza 5 has great image quality, except for moire in grilles etc. I don't know if you can do selective AA but it would be good if they could do something different for areas like that

GYNGA

Most racing Games use Replay Mode for Trailers. So I am 99% sure the game looks like this in Replay Mode. Lets see how it looks ingame (while driving), I hope it is close!
Replay Mode isn't used in this trailer. Confirmed by Rushy

Chabbles

Looks pretty good. Still, i'd like to see a full race with no slick camera work like in the trailer, just some simple race footage to see whats really what.

Replay Mode isn't used in this trailer. Confirmed by Rushy
I think the days of replay mode adding extra effects are over - I expect it'll be much like Project CARS, where the fancy effects are available all the time. Replays will still look better, simply because they can make use of things like DOF in ways that would be impractical during gameplay.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Call me a cynic, but I still don't see that as a confirmation. You can set up the debug camera path and then output supersampled screens into a video feed. I have no doubt the game looks precisely like that trailer except for the AA method btw. I just don't see how this kind of AA quality would be possible without supersampling.

Curious what you thought about FXAA implementation in TR:DF or Trine on PS4. I thought it looked pretty fantastic in both. I think high-end FXAA can look very nice at 1080p, even though I really disliked the low end variant in 720p on older consoles.

I thought there was a very slight blur but it was improved by the resolution and the framerate. Near 60 fps (or 60 fps) titles with FXAA are so much better than ~30 fps games upscaled to 1080p.

The IQ in Infamous was essentially at the point where people can say it is "perfect" with a straight face, so Sony should just use that in every game.

vpance

Looking really great. But the AA method makes it way too blurry. I think it could even seem like upscaled 720p, because there is no sharpness anywhere.

*raises shield*

Lack of sharpness doesn't automatically mean lower res. We'll likely see this kind of thing more in future games as devs try harder to emulate that soft offline CG rendering style.

Top Bottom