• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Yes, I'm largely referring to political podcasts, not things that are trying to teach skills or something.

So, it's basically talkback radio (which is terrible) but on demand. Yeah, nah.

Amicus is an absolute must as it is no frills, in depth Supreme Court-centric discussions.
Congressional Dish is fantastic too as it focuses on lesser known bills passing through congress.

tbm24

I spent election night feeling sick to my stomach while my wife tried to sleep to forget about the whole thing. She was 3 months pregnant at the time. Made a video for my coming daughter about how excited we were for her to be born during a time where we had a female president and what that’d mean for her. Pretty sure that video is going to be locked away forever in an old hard drive and I’ll just tell her about these 4 years of trump when she’s old enough.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, I remember being in the Slack and in like two minutes people went from "wow Hillary is crushing him in Florida" to "oh fuck." And then in the thread...it started to swing around right away. I remember early tweets saying urban counties were coming in ahead and rural behind their 2012 benchmarks. It was all gone within 20 minutes really. When she was struggling in places like Michigan I went to sleep. I couldn't believe she lost PA when I woke up.

Teggy

A little something to chew on

Putin Rival Ties Kushner Meeting to Kremlin Bankers

BY ARI MELBER , MEREDITH MANDELL AND MIRJAM LABLANS

A prominent exiled Russian oligarch said in an exclusive interview with NBC News that he is nearly certain Russian President Vladimir Putin tried to collaborate with the Trump campaign, and that he believes a top Russian banker was not "acting on his own behalf" when he held a controversial meeting with Jared Kushner last December.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wh...-ties-kushner-meeting-kremlin-bankers-n811631

Zukkoyaki

I'm kind of weird because I actually felt better physically and mentally the day AFTER Trump won than the day before. Not because I was happy about the result (I was livid, sad and nervous) but because the uncertainty was finally past. Uncertainty is the biggest driver of my anxiety whenever I experience it and that day when I finally knew the result I was finally able to take a breathe, think and figure out where to go from there.

Sure Trump was just elected president (a national fucking travesty and disgrace) but I spent months nervously waiting for the election to be over and when it was, even with that result, felt like a huge burden off of my shoulders.

Teggy

Nick Confessore
@nickconfessore
President Trump took a question about being silent on deaths of 4 soldiers and turned it into a fact-check news cycle about Bush & Obama.
7:53 PM · Oct 17, 2017

This is what pisses me off about the press lately. The issue was that he ignored the an attack on US soldiers. Now it’s a stupid tabloid story because they have no focus.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is what pisses me off about the press lately. The issue was that he ignored the an attack on US soldiers. Now it’s a stupid tabloid story because they have no focus.

Sure but at least they escalated based on his levels of stupidity. Self inflicted wounds. He’s like a teenage goth.

Zona

Someone explain to me the appeal of podcasts. Is this an American thing?
Same with cable news, and the ridiculous number of pundits talking over each other?
Do you just like hearing people arguing? Hearing people affirm existing positions?

I'm one of those weird people who doesn't find music engaging or affecting, if I put on music while doing something mindless I just end up ignoring it and circling my own thoughts. Podcasts give me something to mentally focus on, I'm less likely to sink into the quagmire that is my own mind if I'm listening to a discussion. That said, most of the podcasts I listen to regularly have nothing to do with news or politics, much like my reading their escapism.

Apparently some people read slowly

I love reading, I generally read between three and five books a week. I can't easily real while driving or doing dishes.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I remember being in the Slack and in like two minutes people went from "wow Hillary is crushing him in Florida" to "oh fuck." And then in the thread...it started to swing around right away. I remember early tweets saying urban counties were coming in ahead and rural behind their 2012 benchmarks. It was all gone within 20 minutes really. When she was struggling in places like Michigan I went to sleep. I couldn't believe she lost PA when I woke up.

I heard a stand-up comedian describe it as "being at a party that turned into not a party". That's how it felt for me. It was just me and my douchebag conservative room mate watching the results come in and when Florida dragged out I knew something was wrong. Then we saw Michigan and PA were close, as was Wisconsin, and I got really nervous. He of course was loving it because "lol liberals". That was probably the fiercest we've been to each other--or rather the most outwardly mean I've been to him since I've lived there.

Interesting.

Not sure if Moore on the air is a good thing.

Like, Alabama is okay with crazy, but Roy Moore is REALLY crazy. That poll is actually really interesting to read through. 32% of the respondents that said they were voting for Jones said it was specifically because they were against Roy Moore, while 35% of Jones voters said it was due to Party Loyalty/Against GOP. Conversely, only 2% of Moore voters were "Anti-Jones" votes, and 41% were Party Loyalty/Against Dems.

Of the people who selected Jones, 21% openly said they Dislike Moore. Of the people who selected Moore, only 7% said they Dislike Jones. They are pretty even in their percentage of Strong Support, but 28% are reserved in their support for Jones, compared to 42% who have reservations about Moore--yet still want to vote for him. A plurality of voters say Moore's views are out of step with Alabama (39 - 37, so a 2 point gap there).

The most interesting splits are the favorable/unfavorables. Roy Moore's net favorability is +10. Doug Jones is currently +25. The trade off here is 23% of respondents came back with a "Can't Say" and 10% didn't know enough about him. You can either read that as he has quite a bit of room to grow since his overall favorability is only 3 points behind Moore, or that Moore's floor is 48-49%.

I think it's going to be a close race no matter what the outcome. I don't see either candidate winning by 5+ points, and if Jones squeaks out a win I expect it to be by less than 1% of the vote.

I heard a stand-up comedian describe it as "being at a party that turned into not a party". That's how it felt for me. It was just me and my douchebag conservative room mate watching the results come in and when Florida dragged out I knew something was wrong. Then we saw Michigan and PA were close, as was Wisconsin, and I got really nervous. He of course was loving it because "lol liberals". That was probably the fiercest we've been to each other--or rather the most outwardly mean I've been to him since I've lived there.

Back in 2004 I was watching with a friend and his friend who was a conservative Bush supporter. He was super nice and not trying to gloat or anything like that, but I'd be lying if I said his obvious delight at the results didn't make things that much worse.

I got Chipotle catering for what I thought was going to be a fun party.

Turned into a funeral with great food.

I found out that even under extremely stressful situations though I remain pretty outwardly calm.

Watching the results like

latest

Thinking: "JESUS FUCK WHAT THE HELL"

I'm largely fine with Prtizker's policy positions, it's just that he has so much baggage (Blago tapes, property tax shenanigans) and I think Rauner will likely have an easy time painting him as Madigan's puppet. But he seems determined to buy the nomination and the party seems happy to let him. Not that I think Kennedy or Biss would be very good candidates either. I guess I can't blame all the truly talented Illinois politicians for running for federal office as soon as they can given the mess in Springfield but I really wish there were a candidate I felt confident about.

Agreed. Obama's the only one I can think of that's made it out of Springfield pretty unscathed, and I think he was only there for like one term. I mean, screw New York, I'd take Hillary moving back to the suburbs and running for Governor here over all our other options. It's like Springfield is where promising Democrats go to die (also, I remember when Lisa Madigan was being pushed as someone who'd be able to ascend to heights higher than her father.)

Dems win special state senate race in MA tonight, 47-43-9

9% was a prominent local reporter who wanted to run as a Dem but very public that he voted for both Bernie and then Trump.

51-41 Hillary, 50-48 Obama.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Election night recaps?. I was at Hillary HQ in my city doing last minute phonebanking. As soon as Florida turned red I left and just buried my head in the couch while cautiously watching the TV realizing what was going to happen. Pretty much had a total breakdown when it was all but certain Hillary lost. And it took until the women's march to function normally again. I'm brown and all I saw was doom when a white supremacist won.

Dems win special state senate race in MA tonight, 47-43-9

9% was a prominent local reporter who wanted to run as a Dem but very public that he voted for both Bernie and then Trump.

51-41 Hillary, 50-48 Obama.

lol this is my shitty Republican uncle's district and now he's represented by Bernie's state director. Hehehe

Stinkles

I’d take tremendous relief in finding out Russian garbage tilted the actual result, either through deceit (almost certainly) or actual tampering (they certainly tried). I’m perfectly aware that a significant number of my countrymen are stupid, racist and gullible and they can all eat shit, but I’d prefer to think a plurality was at least decent.

I think if there was an easy way to show racist idiots how negatively a Trump or modern GOP victory would actually Impact their lives, they would do the right thing, but for a lot of people it was a question of, “how much do I hate black and brown people and the cartoon of Hillary I glibly understand?”

Sure there’s a bunch of absolute mouth breathers who just literally believe Trump was gonna magic back some coal jobs, but the GOP has long abandoned anything except hate and lies in its politics. Libertarians might be selfish but they’re not driven by hate, just bad arithmetic and a poor understanding of history and human nature.

Meanwhile dems are bad at lying and build policy on rationality that’s a hair too complicated for some folks.

Holmes

It's actually a Republican district downballot. I mean, as Republican as Massachusetts could allow. Brown won it both times I believe, and Baker won it in 2014.

Who got tons of calls that night from people wondering what the fuck was happening because they were “that” political junkie friend? I declined all of them.

AntoneM

I started slamming shots and the wife asked why, I said Trump's going to win. It took her another 2-3 hours for it to sink in. I held her and we cried.

Yes, I'm largely referring to political podcasts, not things that are trying to teach skills or something.

Have you listened to any? There’s quite a difference between a podcast like NYT’s Daily or More Perfect or Pod Save America and talk radio show like Levin.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I never slept the night of the election. I stayed up to find out whether Trump won New Hampshire. I wanted solace knowing he didn't win my state, even if it was ridiculously close.

I still went to the gym and grocery shopping that day as I had planned. I remember being super paranoid realizing that likely every other person I saw voted for Trump. My town actually went 2:1 Trump, but the gym and grocery stores are in the city over, which also went for Trump, but not by as much.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Who got tons of calls that night from people wondering what the fuck was happening because they were “that” political junkie friend? I declined all of them.
I saw the reverse. Non political friends were wondering what happened. I remember one acquaitance on FB who vehemently was against voting at all because he believed his vote didn't matter because of the electoral college and Bush beating Gore. When the result was certain he was freaking out.

Stinkles

On a plane with no YouTube, what happened to Mandel on the fox affiliate?

I saw the reverse. Non political friends were wondering what happened. I remember one acquaitance on FB who vehemently was against voting at all because he believed his vote didn't matter because of the electoral college and Bush beating Gore. When the result was certain he was freaking out.

Wait how the hell did that result lead him to THAT conclusion? That’s like Newton deciding apples are suicidal.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Listening to an opinionated politics or video game podcast is basically like reading a GAF thread without intention of responding to it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Trump winning got a lot of people woke real fast. Now it's a matter of if they stay that way.

Nelo Ice

Banned
On a plane with no YouTube, what happened to Mandel on the fox affiliate?

Wait how the hell did that result lead him to THAT conclusion? That's like Newton deciding apples are suicidal.

I have no idea. I tried to explain to him every vote counted and granted I probably put up a weak argument at the time but he was dead set against voting at all because he believed nothing mattered so why bother. And he just kept going back to Bush and the electoral college without explaining why.

Trump winning got a lot of people woke real fast. Now it's a matter of if they stay that way.

Well I still can't get my 22 year old cousin to register to vote and he won't say why. He just does not give a fuck. Of course I kinda believe it's his low key white supremacist dad and he's half white/brown thanks to his mom. But his skin says all brown. Apparently going with the white supremacist being in the white house isn't reason enough to care. And his vote would hold more weight since I think he's in a R district in California. edit: Yep he's represented by Republicans in the legislature and Congress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom