• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

The 0.4.4 update coincided with my major PC upgrade - it is the only version I've tested on this setup so I don't have a previous point of reference as to whether it affected performance. I've not seen any problems with it - I'd test 0.4.3 for you but a bit scared after seeing people on the forums saying that falling back from 0.4.4 caused problems and they had to mess with the registry...

An interesting new idea for iRacing's "Week 13" (Week 7 this time, short season) -

DRAFT FEST ELIMINATION 2014

Live broadcast coming up shortly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-fdlSjH1ZA

I'm sure the commentators will explain it, but a quick summary:

The concept is simple: at the end of every lap the last car is eliminated! The last car running is the winner.

Qualifying:

- Single car
- 4 laps
- 10 minutes time limit
- Fastest 40 drivers are qualified for the race
- Qualifying will be spread across multiple servers

Race:

Starting grid: reverse order of qualifying times!

- At the end of every non-caution lap, the car who is in last position is removed from the race!
- Elimination will start at the end of lap 2. No cars will be eliminated after the first lap.
- The number of laps is undetermined.
- Race control can introduce full-course cautions (safety cars) in case of accidents or when the field spreads out too much.
- The last lap of the race will start when there are only 2 cars left who will battle it out for the win.

I appear to have accidentally qualified first (at least in that server), so I'll probably start right near the back, which isn't ideal... I'll be using the DK2, which should help with awareness... although I still don't feel that confident with my pace using it.

I'm #212.

BRB

:D

Looked like fun. Never a dull moment for you! At least it ended in cartwheels, as it should if you couldn't win it.

I got you some Christmas presents for your next reverse grid race quali session. :p

Sandbags.jpg

Haha thanks!

Will know better for next time - sounds like most people enjoyed it so it could become a regular feature.

I survived so many crashes that when there was finally a big one near the end (that would normally not be worth continuing from) my instant reaction was to think 'yep, I'm dead' and hit the Esc button. Silly me - such a big crash brings out the cautions and I could've driven it back to the pits for an instant repair - the server was set up for unlimited fast repairs - and would've probably had time to rejoin at the back. I think this caught several people out - Riku was the first to leave for example, and I would've backed him to win. We road racers aren't used to this caution flag malarkey! It felt like an oval race at times... perhaps we should actually do it on an oval next time. :)

[edit] the winner just posted this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7cjr0dsRnM - incredible!

Spookie

That GT3 (ADHDADADA-DUDUDUDUDU experence? Christ I can't remember these names) expansion is out for Raceroom btw. Two new tracks and a bunch of GT3 cars.

Spookie

It makes my head spin too. Looks good though.

Yeah I'm loving these mini expansions much more than individual tracks and cars. It always bugs me when a full set isn't added. It feels enough like Race 07 now that I can jump in and out of it when I feel like it. Especially round Christmas since SO MUCH IS OUT! I've got a backlog which could last me till Christmas next year! :D

Any update on who holds the Moto GP license?

Milestone are developing RIDE and Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo for release next year, so that surely rules them out?

No WRC = Loeb Rally Evo

No Moto GP = RIDE?

Shaneus

Any update on who holds the Moto GP license?

Milestone are developing RIDE and Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo for release next year, so that surely rules them out?

No WRC = Loeb Rally Evo

No Moto GP = RIDE?
That's... weird. Maybe Codies? Can't see them developing a next-gen engine for F1 2015 and not wanting to exploit it as much as possible.

TJP

That's... weird. Maybe Codies? Can't see them developing a next-gen engine for F1 2015 and not wanting to exploit it as much as possible.
I hope Codemaster's DONT have the MotoGP licence! The F1 series has been very luckluster and it appears ex-Codemasters F1 developer Steven Hood thought so too. That said, an EGO powered MotoGP sim that is a modern update to GP500 would be great..we just need Melbourne House to reform and make it ;)

Bike sims are a dying genre again - the World Superbike games have been exclusively mobile for the last few years and Dorna, the MotoGP licence holders, don't appear all that interested in someone making a new MotoGP game which is odd given how popular the series is right now.

Ride looks like Milestone's attempt to fix everything that was wrong with Super-Bikes Riding Challenge they shat out a few years ago in between SBK games. I do hope it's good as I need a bike fix.

DD

DTM Experience 2013 is with 70% discount on Steam. Didn't enjoy the demo, but I'm thinking about giving it a chance.

Shaneus

I hope Codemaster's DONT have the MotoGP licence! The F1 series has been very luckluster and it appears ex-Codemasters F1 developer Steven Hood thought so too. That said, an EGO powered MotoGP sim that is a modern update to GP500 would be great..we just need Melbourne House to reform and make it ;)

Bike sims are a dying genre again - the World Superbike games have been exclusively mobile for the last few years and Dorna, the MotoGP licence holders, don't appear all that interested in someone making a new MotoGP game which is odd given how popular the series is right now.

Ride looks like Milestone's attempt to fix everything that was wrong with Super-Bikes Riding Challenge they shat out a few years ago in between SBK games. I do hope it's good as I need a bike fix.
Holy shit, I only just noticed Steve Hood (aka T4rg4) isn't at Codies anymore. Do you have anything else on what he's spilled about Codies/F1?

Edit: So he officially said "Goodbye" on the Codies forums a few days ago. Leaving a sinking ship maybe? Seems like the sort of news that warrants a new thread (if there isn't one already).

TJP

Holy shit, I only just noticed Steve Hood (aka T4rg4) isn't at Codies anymore. Do you have anything else on what he's spilled about Codies/F1?

Edit: So he officially said "Goodbye" on the Codies forums a few days ago. Leaving a sinking ship maybe? Seems like the sort of news that warrants a new thread (if there isn't one already).

Read here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=953566 - post 15 tells an interesting tale...PlayGround Games to make an F1 game sounds a bit far fetched although it wouldn't be the first time a console gets an exclusive F1 game.

TJP

rF2 news - Lime Rock Park v2.0 Now Available:

Originally intended to be little more than a quick weekend project to implement the latest RealRoad and terrain shaders, this extensive update definitely deserves to carry the v2.0 version number.

Plenty of issues have been addressed, and virtually every object has been optimized for a smoother experience. Apart from those fixes, the rebalanced art provides a more detailed, natural and consistent look. As a little extra, we’ve placed some cones in the paddock for some R/C car action.

Link - http://rfactor.net/web/getfile/lime-rock-park-mirrors/

Is there any reason for me to download RaceRoom when I have Assetto Corsa (and play that a lot)?
The main reason would be to try some of the cars and tracks that AC doesn't have. Otherwise it's good to try a wide variety of sims just to see the differences. RaceRoom has particularly good audio, for example. It also has a neat learning tool called 'Apex Hunt', which is worth a go. Plus it has a different business model, with parts of it being free to play - so it won't cost you anything just to try it out. They often run competitions which unlock certain cars and tracks to use for the duration, so there's actually a fair amount of stuff to drive before you consider handing over your cash.

_______

Quick comparison of the rF2 LRP update:

http://youtu.be/7y-E0ocCc4Q

Is there any reason for me to download RaceRoom when I have Assetto Corsa (and play that a lot)?
RRRE has pretty much the best sound tech available. Even though I don't quite enjoy the physics as much as rF2, the roaring RRRE engines sure do make up for it. Note that the quality of the physics vary from vehicle to vehicle, but you can test each and every one of them on the store before spending any money.
Awesome!
rF2 news - Lime Rock Park v2.0 Now Available:
Wow, Lime Rock looks so much better... and it seems to come with a radio control car track in the paddock?

I think the assets are at a good level now. I believe the weirdness is coming from the graphics engine rather than the track modelling. rF2 always looks much nicer from an open cockpit - or if I'd used hood cam, for example. Something about the HDR makes stuff look strange from inside an enclosed car. It's weird, because AC seems to have a more dramatic HDR system with bloom all over the place, yet it doesn't look as strange as rF2.

Watevaman

Is there any more word on when GSC:E is gonna be on Steam? I'll shamefully admit I still don't own it (no means to play sims while I'm at school) and the news made me want to just wait.

mrsmr2

I agree.

rF2 massively over exposes everything if you are in a dark cockpit, as the game fights to balance the darkness against the brighter background.

HDR is a gimmick and should be banned instantly. AC's handling of this was terrible but seemed much better the last time I tried it.

rF2's HDR only works in cockpit view if you are in an open top car - even then it over brightens the scene a bit.

I'm not a fan of the latest rF2 build either. Everything is a tad brighter and the contrast levels are down. Tiger Moth looked beautiful in the last build but it's a bit bland now.

TJP

Is there any more word on when GSC:E is gonna be on Steam? I'll shamefully admit I still don't own it (no means to play sims while I'm at school) and the news made me want to just wait.
Nothing new from their original statement posted on the 10th of December:

STATUS UPDATE: Currently our focus is on making current versions of Game Stock Car Extreme & Formula Truck 2013 available on Steam, and ensuring supply of Steam keys for the existing owners willing to migrate to the new platform.

This means new build releases for both titles will be hold up a little further into the new year.

Last post from Reiza's FB page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f6nsBLwoes

TJP

One point to remember is the newer cars - e.g. the ADAC and DTM series and the Audi 90 GTO have the latest vehicle physics and tyre models and are representative of the direction Sector 3 want to take their simulation. Many of the older cars e.g. the non-licenced touring and Le Mans prototypes remain untouched and won't be as 'good' to drive as the most recent cars.

Test drive the ADAC and DTM cars and make your mind up if RRE is for you ;)

Jilt

The new ADAC 2014 GT Masters for RaceRoom Racing Experience is great!

Yesterday I bought the ADAC GT Masters 2014 on RaceRoom Racing Experience, or R3E. As a big fan of GT cars I did some testing in single modus. Then today I dicided to do a race against AI on my home track Zandvoort in an Audi R8. First race I won easy. Second race I got sloppy and watched in my mirror several times with poor timing. This race is the second one! It's close, sometimes sloppy but nice to watch I hope. After I messed up the race, the recording stops ;-)
Very enjoyable game this is, with good content, nice FFB and very nice sounds!!
Hope you enjoy the Ride.

http://youtu.be/f3y5tcmL1Bw

TJP

If you are looking for a sim-light game, Grid Autosport is 75% off on Steam; the DLC is priced at 50% off RRP:

hxLWADa.png

I'm off to take a shower after posting this news in the sim racing thread...

saladine1

Haven't been around these games for ages because of work but I'd like to ask, do games such as RR, Cars, AC..etc feature driveline/train flex simulation?
I remember iRacing implementing this a while back but don't know to what extent.

These simulations are basically missing from console 'sims' such as Forza and GT. Its these type of simulations that give transmission/engine loads that realistic behavior and ultimately my favorite aspect..the sounds. Trans wobble, shift imperfections, trans whine, on/off loading...
I know it might be a small thing for most people but I find it extremely important to get it right because it adds so much immersion for me and makes a car feel much more raw..

edit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw8KvdHVMFw

Here we are, probably the best V8SC rendition I've heard. The trans wobble and on/off loads are damn near perfect!

Jilt

nice videos,thanks.This indeed looks great.
I was playing RR couple months ago but there was not too much content and prices for everything were pretty high.
Was AI added or was it from the beginning?
I must check it out again and see what they added.

Prices can be pretty steep in RR, but when your timing is good, you can get real good discounts. So if you're not in a hurry, check it out.
I own RR since a month or so, so can't answer the AI question.
I do know RR evolved into something nice!

Watevaman

If you are looking for a sim-light game, Grid Autosport is 75% off on Steam; the DLC is priced at 50% off RRP:

hxLWADa.png

I'm off to take a shower after posting this news in the sim racing thread...

I was actually gonna ask in here if anyone thought it was a good game. I've been interested in it from the get-go as a replacement for TOCA3, but it kind of went off my radar after it released.

Nice presentation. Slick, snappy menus. Addresses a few complaints about the previous title - it is the game GRID 2 should have been.

However, it's still the same engine, so if you're familiar with Codemasters content from last gen, there won't be many surprises here. Poor wheel support, confusing physics, weird lighting.

Some fun to be had however - the AI puts up a good fight and the cars are very easy throw around.

Afro

I was actually gonna ask in here if anyone thought it was a good game. I've been interested in it from the get-go as a replacement for TOCA3, but it kind of went off my radar after it released.

can't stand arcade racers, but it's honestly worth dropping $10 for the visuals alone. i can spend all day checking out all the car models at 4K w/ the add-on texture pack.

testy9r19.jpg

haven't put much time into it, but the physics are at least a little more satisfying/less forgiving than Horizon 2, which is great.

Top Bottom