• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim VR on PS4 drops November 17th

Senua

It's especially ridiculous when you realize PSVR is actually better than any other VR headset (including on PC) on a lot of aspects (no screen door effect unlike the competitors, comfort is better, AAA games, refresh rate).

Some people are just angry their headset of choice didn't sell as much as PSVR and gets no big game (PSVR is by far the most successful headset outside of mobile ones). That, and they paid a lot more for it. It makes them a bit salty.

Keep on downplaying the premium headsets, just like console warriors in DF threads keep on downplaying the advantages of PC.

Gold_Loot

Well the PSVR is lower res than the Rift and Vive anyway, it really doesn't help that many of the games are sub native too.
Ya gotta figure, this is an older game running on an older Gamebrio engine which, isn’t exactly great in the first place.

There are plenty of other PSVR games that look a good deal sharper than this.

It's especially ridiculous when you realize PSVR is actually better than any other VR headset (including on PC) on a lot of aspects (no screen door effect unlike the competitors, comfort is better, AAA games, refresh rate).

Some people are just angry their headset of choice didn't sell as much as PSVR and gets no big game (PSVR is by far the most successful headset outside of mobile ones). That, and they paid a lot more for it. It makes them a bit salty.

Oh my god you cant be serious right? This has to be the stupidest remark of the entire thread.

Gold_Loot

Keep on downplaying the premium headsets, just like console warriors in DF threads keep on downplaying the advantages of PC.
Nah, I played on a Vive and I found the IQ differences rather small. Sure, the res bump is nice on distance objects. But, it’s not nearly significant enough to make a big difference.

Controllers are ace though.

PSVR holds up rather well actually.

Don’t just take my word for it though. Plenty of VR enthusiast sites and channels say the same.

Senua

Nah, I played on a Vive and I found the IQ differences rather small. Sure, the res numb is nice on distance objects. But, it's not nearly significant enough to make a big difference.

Controllers are ace though.

PSVR holds up rather well actually.

Don't just take my word for it though. Plenty of VR enthusiast sites and channels say the same.
I don't need to just take your word for it as I've experienced it for myself. I'm starting to think I played the wrong games for IQ, as others have had better experiences.

Though Vive/Rift with super sampling spoiled me greatly.

Gold_Loot

I don't need to take your word for it as I've experienced it for myself. I'm starting to think I played the wrong games for IQ, as others have had better experiences.

Though Vive/Rift with super sampling spoiled me greatly.
Probably. Unfortunately , not all VR games down sample on the PSpro. Hell , none of the demos support It at all. Games that do support it like Thumper , Rez , Rigs and Farpoint look rather nice though.

Tumle

Oh my god you cant be serious right? This has to be the stupidest remark of the entire thread.
Yea it’s just as stupid as the remark someone made about PSVR being more comparable to mobile VR..
But I think we have derailed the thread enough on this subject.. I’m pretty sure there is a dedicated thread to all the VR headsets where this can be discussed..
Just sad that fanboy wars had to come into the VR space..

Footos22

Traded in skyrim vr as was never a fan of skyrim normally so wouldn't really care about vr. Got superhot vr instead. Man this game is so so good.

Aztorian

So, I've played for a few hours now and I just entered Riverwood. Being in Skyrim for the fourth time really doesn't make it less interesting in VR. Looking around me really amazes me and sometimes i get too caried away in-game causing me to almost lose my balance irl.

In my first ever playthrough on the PS3 I went for a stealth archer approach and I loved this. So i figured this would be even more fun in VR, right? Well kinda. So first of all I had to used dual swords to kill a few baddies before I got my bow and arrow. After receiving a bow and some arrows i faced the sleeping bear. Perfect time to practise my achery skills right? The controls for using bow and arrow are pretty straight forward, so thats nice but I totally suck at using them. I knocked the arrow, pulled back, let go and the arrow dropped to the floor like 5 steps in front of me. Maybe I need to pull back further but this caused my arrow to kinda go through my head which blocked my vision. I practised a few shots against some baddies and I got better at using them. Just sometimes the move-controllers just don't get registered correctly causing my bow and arrow to be all around the place.

I also noticed that aiming with the bow and arrow gets a little awkward when aiming not directly in front of me. When I look to the left or right and aim down to shoot something the aim seems to be off. No idea if it's because of the camera setting or just inaccurate tracking because the controllers are not aimed directly at the camera.

I am using the version 1 camera btw. Does anyone know if the version 2 camera has better tracking or a larger box (playing area)?

Grinchy

Banned
I am using the version 1 camera btw. Does anyone know if the version 2 camera has better tracking or a larger box (playing area)?

Well, how do you have the camera placed? Is it really low? Both cameras are identical, btw.

Ideally, if you can make it so that the camera is above your head and angled slightly downward, it will help tracking a lot. And for good bow movement, you want some space between you and the camera, as well. If you hold down the PS button (on any controller) it brings up the quick menu.

You can click on the VR settings and then go to Confirm Position. This will show you what the camera is seeing. You can directly see if your movements are within the area the camera can actually see. You can tell if your head is in the center of it, if putting the controllers up in front of you is blocking the headset lights, ect.

Aztorian

You can click on the VR settings and then go to Confirm Position. This will show you what the camera is seeing. You can directly see if your movements are within the area the camera can actually see. You can tell if your head is in the center of it, if putting the controllers up in front of you is blocking the headset lights, ect.

Didn't look this up yet, thanks. Will see if my positioning is good enough after I get home from work.

I try to put the camera in the most ideal position, but it's aiming up to actually see me, so it's registering every movement from a lower angle than my face. No idea if this matters, but this is the only position i can place the camera for now.

Grinchy

Banned
Didn't look this up yet, thanks. Will see if my positioning is good enough after I get home from work.

I try to put the camera in the most ideal position, but it's aiming up to actually see me, so it's registering every movement from a lower angle than my face. No idea if this matters, but this is the only position i can place the camera for now.

That's an ok spot for many situations like regular controller/sitting games, but if you want to play more active games with the Move controllers, it's the worst possible position.

With the camera above the headset angled downward, it has a chance of still seeing all the headset lights even when you are bringing them up toward your face just by the nature of the angle it's in.

It's an unfortunate thing, but it's what everyone has to live with until PSVR2 comes out and doesn't use a single camera tracking colored lights.

Aztorian

That's an ok spot for many situations like regular controller/sitting games, but if you want to play more active games with the Move controllers, it's the worst possible position.

With the camera above the headset angled downward, it has a chance of still seeing all the headset lights even when you are bringing them up toward your face just by the nature of the angle it's in.

It's an unfortunate thing, but it's what everyone has to live with until PSVR2 comes out and doesn't use a single camera tracking colored lights.

Hmm.. This weekend I will have more time to play and I might try to play the game with my DS4 once my move controllers run out of juice. The battery life of those things are quite low imo. Maybe it won't be a big deal to play the game with DS4 although I imagine to lose alot of immersion doing so. We'll see how it goes.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Yup, very impressive. The sense of being present in Skyrim makes it feel like a completely different experience.

IGN's review was pretty scathing tbh. Not that I trust them implicitly but they stipulate that the draw distance is really short and its really blurry.

Any chance someone could pour water over their claims? Is it really as bad as they say?

Aztorian

IGN's review was pretty scathing tbh. Not that I trust them implicitly but they stipulate that the draw distance is really short and its really blurry.

Any chance someone could pour water over their claims? Is it really as bad as they say?

IGN being IGN.

Draw Distance is fine imo, the image gets blurry sometimes but if you play longer than 20 minutes to write a verdict about the game you can see past the blurry images and actually start enjoying the game even more than the shiny definitive edition.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
IGN being IGN.

Draw Distance is fine imo, the image gets blurry sometimes but if you play longer than 20 minutes to write a verdict about the game you can see past the blurry images and actually start enjoying the game even more than the shiny definitive edition.

Thank you :)

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
People seem to be really digging this. This will be my first VR game... might be a dumb question but should I start with a different game to sort of"get used" to VR?

Aztorian

People seem to be really digging this. This will be my first VR game... might be a dumb question but should I start with a different game to sort of"get used" to VR?

Skyrim VR is unlike anything else in VR, so no. This is gonna be the best and most unique VR experience yet, i think.

Bramble

nope.. PS4 or PS4 Pro?

I'm on Pro. I'll try a reboot tonight and otherwise I'll delete the game and reinstall. Maybe that helps.

I also see the flashing water on my TV, so it's not a problem with the headset.

Edit: Or maybe it is, because the headset just sends the picture over to the TV, right.

Humdinger

No, it's true, the draw distance is short, and objects a fair distance away are blurry. For about the first hour, it was something I noticed. After that, I just accepted it, because I know they needed to downscale it like that, in order to get it running at 60 fps in VR. It's a trade-off, and for a 6 year old game, I'm okay with it.

Once I got over the initial hump (of it looking blurrier than I expected), then the VR aspect of the game took over, and I was too immersed to care. I stopped noticing the limitations in the visuals and just enjoyed the fact that they had been able to make the transition to VR so successfully.

One criticism I do have of the IGN review, though, is that a lot of their complaints have to do with the control scheme, and yet they spend all their time on Moves and give no attention to the DS option, which is a lot simpler and easier.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Damn ign a 6.8

Ouch all those new psvr people and they get this ? 🤔

nero2082

don't do it (also avoid Rigs and VR Luge), you need some VR legs even if you're "fine", you may not be "fine" after a day or two

at least try some static/cockpit stuff like Ocean Descent, London Heist, Until Dawn RoB, stuff where you're not moving on your own

it's a different medium man, I'd also recommend taking breaks after 1hour, even if you're ok lens could get steamy

Grinchy

Banned
So none of you has flashing/shimmering watertextures?

I don't think I've seen it in water, but I've seen problems at the little vendor booths in the middle of Riften. Like the game lighting just completely breaks and flashes on and off inside the booths.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
No, it's true, the draw distance is short, and objects a fair distance away are blurry. For about the first hour, it was something I noticed. After that, I just accepted it, because I know they needed to downscale it like that, in order to get it running at 60 fps in VR. It's a trade-off, and for a 6 year old game, I'm okay with it.

Once I got over the initial hump (of it looking blurrier than I expected), then the VR aspect of the game took over, and I was too immersed to care. I stopped noticing the limitations in the visuals and just enjoyed the fact that they had been able to make the transition to VR so successfully.

One criticism I do have of the IGN review, though, is that a lot of their complaints have to do with the control scheme, and yet they spend all their time on Moves and give no attention to the DS option, which is a lot simpler and easier.

Again thank you for your input. I really believe that after a while I will just forget about it and just soak up the enviroments.

vypermajik

As a glasses wearer I shied away from this. But my wife surprised me and got me the bundle. This is nothing short of amazing. Sure the draw distance is not ideal but I really feel like I am there. The sound and immersion makes even simple fetch quests an epic adventure and personally I just can't get enough. Amazing and worth every penny.

Pejo

It takes a while to get used to the move controls, but after you do...it's so good. I keep having to just stop in my tracks sometimes and just admire the scenery.

Indoor dungeons and caves are just amazing. The draw distance kinda is what it is, but it has in no way taken me out of the game.

It's also a gamechanger that I figured out movement after like 20 hours, lol.

The left Move controller can be pointed in any direction while you hold the button down to move in any direction. You can't aim with your left hand spell/weapon while you do this, but it makes kiting and strafing possible.

This is my first time playing as a battlemage, and it's everything I ever wanted it to be.

I dont have 2 move controllers. Should i buy and play the game with ds4 or wait and get the move controller next year? Im not in a hurry.

RavageX

The only problem I have had is camera position. Sometimes I'll play standing, which I prefer but my job requires me to be on my feet most of the time....

So when I sit to play, the move controllers will be all wonky.

That and I wish character models looked better, but really I get so into the game that doesn't matter.

I snuck in a room and a mage was waking up so I take out the bow and

THWIP THWIP

Two in the chest.

I say something as he falls back dead like, "Rough morning?"

The girlfriend has no clue what I'm doing in here. She just thinks it's weird. But she doesn't know how much of a legend I've become in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR!

As several people mentioned the problems with black-level performance in the PSVR is more of a Skyrim problem than a PSVR issue. It's true that NEAR-black (dark gray) screens look noisy and uneven on the PSVR but that's an issue with pretty much all OLEDs. If your game actually displays black as black, it will look right in the VR display.

That being said, something is off with the gamma settings or black level settings for this game. Skyrim VR's "black" is really gray and brings out the worst in the display. If you're in a cave, go into the Skyrim settings and adjust the brightness level down to just one or two notches above the bottom, you can get a much better result. Things in caves and whatnot without nearby light sources will appear dark, but they are supposed to be. You may feel like you can't see as well as you'd like but if you try bumping the brightness back up, you will notice that you don't get hardly anymore detail in the shadows, it just makes the black areas gray.

Unfortunately, when you go outside, this is not as true, and so for outside play I have to bump the in-game brightness back up a couple ticks, but still not up to the default. Hopefully this is something they can address in a patch.

Grinchy

Banned
When you explore the bad guys' castle in the Dawnguard DLC, you can barely see a thing. It's really bad. And the Candlelight spell just looks really buggy, so it's annoying to use.

Top Bottom