• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda and 3 and a half under-performing games in a row

120v

for one, bethesda isn't exactly bleeding cash right now. another, i don't think they're greenlighting these games under the assumption they're surefire 5+ million sellers (caveat is Dishonored 2, as that probably was meant to match the first one and perhaps overperform). why else would they greenlight a sequel to TEW of all things? because they can

of course an L is an L and bean counters won't like that, adjustments will need to be made. but i don't see them freaking out and converting to a loot box GaaS future anytime soon

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
For anybody craving some dedicated single player goodness, Bethesda are just on fire as a publisher these days and the games just keep coming.

Dishonoured, Prey, Wolfenstein, The Evil Within, Doom...

I have to imagine that they would simply stop funding these games, if they were all bombing or losing money or considered failures. That's not happening. In fact we're getting expansions and sequels.

I mean... Just enjoy the great games? No?

While I have no interest in TEW2 Bethesda have been putting out great games, I simply love Dishonored, picked up Prey but have yet to play it and I will be getting Wolfenstein II for sure.

I hope steady sales, good budgeting and word of mouth have made these sales seem better than the front loaded sales most AAA titles have :(

It's just speculation. But i believe this, because it was so shortly after the games release.

It's not good to make speculation about someone being fired when you have 0 proof. Its and incredibly damaging and potentially defamatory thing and people have been perma banned for it before.

Arkanius

I bought Prey at launch. Didn't get Dishonored 2 and TEW2 for the extreme performance issues.

Bethesda must fix their shit if they want better sales.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Well Arcane's creative director and founder was let go. We can't know for sure if it was because of missed sales expectations, but it's very likely imo.

Raphael Colantonio made it very clear, on more than one occasion, that he was stepping down because he's barely stopped working for almost 20 years and is simply exhausted.

.la1n

Does traditional marketing still hold more influence over purchases than internet based marketing (Twitch, etc.?) I feel like it would be completely the opposite at this point.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Their games usually run like shit which stops me from buying them at least. I was interested in both TEW2 and Dishonored 2 but skipped them both due to performance issues.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't think they're marketing their games well.

Dishonored 2, Prey and the Evil Within 2 release and I'm like 'they're out already? You're lying.' But they were.

I was surprised to find out that Wolfenstein 2 isn't releasing next year (I thought the Switch version was when it was releasing for everything), but in a week or two.

I feel like I better know when Bethesda's Switch offerings are coming out than their other titles at this point, even with my PC

ReaperXL7

I can say pretty easily that I would have bought Prey in an instant if it had been the game that I wanted it to be (which was Prey 2). As it stood, the Prey that we ended up with just looked like a less interesting Bioshock to me which basically killed any interest that I had in it. I'm sure I'm not the only person that stopped caring about Prey when it changed direction.

Dishonored never really had my attention as steampunk just really isn't my bag, and Evil within 2 I'd buy but until I build my PC next year the only console at my disposal is my Switch.

FiveSide

Banned
It seems like lots of AAA games are releasing to reduced sales. I'm not sure that this says as much about Bethesda as it does about the larger market, and gamers starting to spend more time in long-running GaaS titles.

The landscape of the industry is certainly changing, and there is an important discussion to be had there. But these specific games didn't just have "reduced sales" a la Resident Evil 7; they pretty much bombed, arguably in Dishonored 2's case, completely in Prey's case, and likely in Evil Within 2's case (too early to really tell, but it's looking like that's how it'll be).

The drastically reduced commercial performance of these games, coincidentally non big brand name single-player games released by Bethesda after their review policy went into effect, rests pretty squarely on that policy in my opinion.

Pooya

They are the last major single player focused publisher and it shows that it can not be sustained anymore. Unless it's GTA/TES/Fallout tier, it's not worth investing. I'm concerned what Arkane or Tango will be doing next, rest of the company will adapt.

No marketing blah blah doesn't matter, there is enough marketing for them to sell much better that they have, more and they will be even bigger commercial failures. Market is so soft right now, it just doesn't work. Most people are just playing handful of big games. They don't feel the need to buy every new release. It's happening to every new release this year, we had a report from NPD too about sp games, the time for this kind of AAA games is over.

Zojirushi

I think Dishonored 2 managed to crawl past 2 million (nearly a million on steam spy plus consoles) so I don't think that one is as bad as the others.

That game has had some hefty discounts and is basically a free giveaway at key resellers now though so revenue wise Bethesda can't be happy.

SuperBudgie1582

Neo Member
Do we actually know the sales numbers for Dishonerd 2 and Prey? Because if we dont and Bethesda hasn't commented, then this thread is based on broad assumptions and absolutely pointless.

Neonep

I've never bought a game from Bethesda. Their games just don't appeal to me but you can say that about any game.

anothertech

I’m a gaming enthusiast that is on GAF every single day reading news about games.

I don’t (and still don’t) know what the hell those games you listed are. That says somthing about their marketing I think.

Last release for this year from Bethesda is Wolfenstein The New Colossus and despite having big potential to sell way better than previous ones i have feeling that it will be last classic SP only game from Bethesda we will see.

As a person who loves SP only games an immersive sims it is hard to watch those games flop one by one. And i think that Bethesda is big cause of that. Their marketing is almost non-existent and their no review codes policy is hurting their games and developers really bad. And they are keep doing that over and over again. I don't want to see those game franchises die but is there anything that we could do? Is there a future for those kind of games in todays GaaS oriented market?
Nah. Wolfenstein, Doom, Fallout, and Elder Scrolls still sell very well. I think it'll just make Bethesda stick to these core franchises with SP releases.

I do see them doing a Destiny style game in the future. Probably that rumored Starfield game.

One of the only AAA publishers releasing solid single player games with minimal bullshit business practices involved
well, Creator Club aside
and their games tank.

It’s like people are telling the industry they want more of the shit that they complain about.

I feel like I'm generally pretty informed when it comes to games and when Prey came out and people were talking about it, I literally thought it had to be like a remaster of the 2006 game or something

Nah. Wolfenstein, Doom, Fallout, and Elder Scrolls still sell very well. I think it'll just make Bethesda stick to these core franchises with SP releases.

I do see them doing a Destiny style game in the future. Probably that rumored Starfield game.

Where is Skyrim 2 / Elder Scrolls 6? Almost 6 years since Skyrim came out and not even a hint of the next one being started yet. Seems very disingenuous to say no one wants SP games any more when they're not giving the people the type of SP game they actually want. I read somewhere that they don't want to be pigeonholed as the company that just puts out TES and Fallout games, but c'mon...

Prey and Evil Within 2 were both day one games for me....until lack of pro support came out.

After investing in a new tv and pro I will not support games that ignore the ps4 pro.

Sucks but I have to vote with my wallet.

Both Dishonored 2 and Prey had performance issues on PS4 Pro at launch. That was enough to prevent a Day 1 buy from me, and by the time the games were patched, the next big thing worth $60 had arrived.

Games need to arrive bug free and with solid perforance on Day 1. There’s no excuse to expect people to pay full price at launch, then wait a couple weeks for the final patches to hit and iron out any issues. There’s simply too much competition.

SP only, no microtransactions, no loot boxes, no season pass. Still pretty low hype around here.

Why do GAF hate Bethesda so much again?

taoofjord

Pretty depressing considering how awesome these games are. I hope they can find a way to make it work better without sacrificing quality or dropping being a publisher altogether. If it really is their marketing that’s the problem I hope that ends up being their takeaway.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I can say pretty easily that I would have bought Prey in an instant if it had been the game that I wanted it to be (which was Prey 2). As it stood, the Prey that we ended up with just looked like a less interesting Bioshock to me which basically killed any interest that I had in it. I'm sure I'm not the only person that stopped caring about Prey when it changed direction.

That's a two-way street though and I'd bet the *Shock side of the street has a lot more traffic than the Prey side.

dr_rus

Wolfenstein going to sell like shit too out the gates. Don't be surprise.

I actually think that WTNC will sell quite good and will likely beat WTNO launch sales. When there's no marketing sales are coming from P2P viral marketing and I can totally see it being meh on all previously released sequel titles but I can't imagine a lot of negative stuff about WTNO.

One of Bethesda's issues is that they don't care enough about building an all encompassing universe around their titles. I mean, take Dishonored for example - we've had essentially four games in this franchise already but we hardly explored the world it is set in, they haven't really established any story, characters there and the last game was all but a probable final episode already. This doesn't help with selling sequels.

Their games are mechanically brilliant but they lack a bit in the soul department.

ReaperXL7

That's a two-way street though and I'd bet the *Shock side of the street has a lot more traffic than the Prey side.

Maybe, I'd disagree though. I'd argue that a game that allowed you to play as a space bounty hunter in an open world would have garnered more attention then what Prey became after the reboot. The reaction to both versions was pretty different and I came away feeling more people were interested in the original vision of Prey 2.

Impossible to know for certain though of course since Beth(pub) had their falling out with Human head.

Dishonored 2 and Prey deserved better. Both were great games.

But nope, all they do is make sure they put their marketing and time into ESO and more versions of Skyrim.

Honestly this reminds me of Square Enix with IO and currently with Eidos. They put such hard milestones and requirements on their games yet even if a FF game fails, they will never bat an eye. Didn't they say that Tomb Raider selling 5M wasn't good enough?

Starviper

I'll probably buy Prey at some point soon on sale; game did look sweet but definitely felt there wasn't much hype around it. I know they did some marketing but it wasn't enough to hold me -- Maybe it was other big releases around the time? Thinking back, I was probably still hooked on Overwatch..

Hale-XF11

What's weird is that I'm a huge Dishonored fan and fell in love with Arkane as a developer, but even I didn't know that Prey existed until some time after its release. I feel like I know nothing about that game even after all the praise it's gotten. I plan to get it eventually though since I'm fairly certain that I'll love it.

Yeah marketing doesn´t help. Also their games are the most expensive ones on the brazilian Steam store at least.

Resident Evil 7 launched at 99 BRL
Shadow of War launched at 149 BRL

Every Bethesda game launches at 199 BRL, c´mon...

man, that's just strange as hell! :) ...

bethesda is, indeed, a strange publisher. no idea why they're even bothering to support the development to these games in the first place. even squeenix does a better job of promoting their non-rpg single-player games than bethesda...

Their marketing strategy is fucking trash, I didn't even know Dishonored: Death of the Outside was out until I see this thread.

If I'm not a TEW fan I probably won't even know about TEW2's release. I've seen so many streamers on Twitch getting sponsored by Bethesda to play TEW2, and seriously that's just a shitty marketing strategy, you can't count on livestreams to sell the game. This isn't PUBG.

Freddo

This is so sad, both Dishonored 2 and Prey would be in my top 3 list over best games in the past 12 months (I guess Yakuza 0 would be the third).

That said, I think Wolfenstein II will sell very well, the first game received nothing but praise.

Fisty

I wonder if they've managed to keep the budgets on those games locked down to reasonable amounts. Might be why they can chase the long-tail numbers instead of the front-loaded stuff everyone else relies on. Times have changed from last gen, and I think current sku's will be supported and for sale for MUCH longer than previously.

StereoVsn

Terrible review policies and bad marketing for all of those games. For some of them the release windows are terrible. Then to add on to that we had technical issues plaguing both Dishonored 2 and Prey.

Frankly the technical issues kept me away from both and at this point my backlog is too large. Maybe sometimes in the future. Bethesda has nobody to blame but itself for this.

On the other hand Wolfenstein seems to be pushed pretty hard in comparison so I think we will see good sales from it.

I actually think that WTNC will sell quite good and will likely beat WTNO launch sales. When there's no marketing sales are coming from P2P viral marketing and I can totally see it being meh on all previously released sequel titles but I can't imagine a lot of negative stuff about WTNO.

One of Bethesda's issues is that they don't care enough about building an all encompassing universe around their titles. I mean, take Dishonored for example - we've had essentially four games in this franchise already but we hardly explored the world it is set in, they haven't really established any story, characters there and the last game was all but a probable final episode already. This doesn't help with selling sequels.

Their games are mechanically brilliant but they lack a bit in the soul department.

Can't agree in terms of the worlds. I think they are star of the show honestly- Dishonored just has fantastic world design. The world and background lore are stronger than any of the characters and story in either game.

The new Wolfenstein has a really great world with its Alternate 60s as well.

But you are right on in terms of characters. Really the only character that Bethesda can hang their hat on is the new version of BJ Blazkowicz and its probably not a small part of why the sequel to TNO seems to be getting more interest than Bethesda's other sequels.

man, that's just strange as hell! :) ...

bethesda is, indeed, a strange publisher. no idea why they're even bothering to support the development to these games in the first place. even squeenix does a better job of promoting their non-rpg single-player games than bethesda...

Hitman (830k per Steamspy) and DX: Mankind Divided (850k) disagree with you. Both have sold less than Dishonored 2 (950k) despite being on the market longer.

Top Bottom