• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To the "Destiny 2 looks like DLC" crowd. Why?

I'll be honest, I'm pretty excited for this because I missed out on Destiny 1. I liked the demo but failed to catch on because I was obsessed with Diablo 3 at the time. But I might even jump on board with this on day 1.

SpokkX

Saying Destiny 2 looks like DLC gives way too much credit to Destiny's DLC

some of the worst DLC content to price ratio in all of gaming.

Destiny 2 looks like a proper good Destiny 1 expansion, something we never got (even with TTK).

Haha well said

.. and yeah Destiny 2 seems to be what the expansions should have been in the firsr place. Really highlight the low quality AND quantity content destiny players have grinded for years

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
All the points listed in the OP are kind of run-of-the-mill iterative changes; nothing like Uncharted 2 or AssCreed 2 completely injecting the orignal formula with steroids and utterly shattering the bar.

It's not unrealistic to expect that level of changes.

New MP maps! Duh
New Strikes! Same rinse and repeat formula (big bullet sponge, advance, defend Ghost, advance, bigger bullet sponge). That's alright, since its still new content.

Samey graphics. They're not on the level of Uncharted 1-2 so thats a terrible comparison.

But this is why overall it feels like an expansion.

Theyre all minor iterative, subtle changes.

The sum of it all makes it a sequel, but a really soft sequel in comparison.

K.Sabot

I mean. Cmon. My friend who is pretty damn excited for it called it an expansion. And that's why he liked it. Whereas that's why I don't like it. I expected more. Hell, two out of theee subclasses are nearly identical- unless you are a hunter where the new Poledancer is Bladedancer again.

Another three years of the same exact supers we had in Destiny. Like, at least put more effort forward. That's what I personally expected, and why I was so worried about the prospect of a "Destiny 2".

In a sequel, I honestly would've expected 3 whole new subclasses for each class, sure they expanded on the abilities a little, but here I am as a Titan. Still throwing hammers, still slamming the ground, except now I trade out Ward of Dawn for the relic from VoG

Like goddamnit Bungie, you had more diversity in going from Equipment in Halo 3 to AAs in Reach'

Their concept of subclasses in 1 was hilarious. You spend 90% of the time doing the exact same thing as every other class in the game whether you're a titan, warlock, or a hunter. You get a different super / jump / grenades / statistical differences between the 3 guardian classes. You get a different super and even more minute statistical differences between subclasses, but at the end of the day every other player in the game is doing the same exact thing you are, shooting a gun.

I've always found their class design incredibly uncreative, not even new subclasses could have gotten me hyped if it was still the same design philosophy.

Samaritan

While I think reducing the game to "DLC-status" is taking it too far, it certainly doesn't look like it has the breadth of content or improvements one would expect from a Destiny 2. It seems like a host of small, incremental changes along with new content with around the same scope of the first game.

I think a lot of us expected Destiny 2 to be the game that finally makes good on the promise of the first game. It's not the clean-slate people were expecting or wanted, rather just more of the same.

Honestly it comes down to recency bias. People think of year 3, expansion howevermany destiny 1 instead of day 1 destiny when making the comparison and look at the amount of content there and their minds can't comprehend that destiny 1 was patched over the course of multiple years with content additions.

destiny 2 has 4 zones advertised as being at least double the size of any playable area they made before with zones ACTUALLY HAVING GAMEPLAY unlike destiny 1. patrol beacons and farming materials and the incredibly rare world events were the entirety of patrol content in destiny at launch. destiny 2 brings sidequests(beacon replacements, obviously), dungeons, actual npc interaction, on top of the fact that there are still scripted world events and the like from the first game. they're adding more to do in the world. that shit literally didn't exist in the first game by the time most people quit.

destiny 2 will launch with at least the total amount of strikes as launch destiny 1, and yeah the strike they previewed didn't blow me away with mechanics but that was very likely the max level normal mode version of that strike. i would like to see more boss mechanics and they hyped up the "3 phase boss fight" a bit too much there. only the second phase really had an actual mechanic to it so hopefully they work on making each strike feel like it's own unique thing instead of the dog shit that was winter's runs final boss

destiny 2 will launch with an entire new suite of multiplayer maps and modes. destiny 2 will have an actual story campaign. you can say "but the taken king and crotas end had that too!" but the taken kings campaign wasn't close to the length of the base campaign, and it's fucking super obvious that we're not getting a fuckin dlc length amount of campaign missions from a titled sequel.

likely 100+ new weapons, new weapon types, new subclass game play with changes to current subclasses.. there's content there. i'd like to see NEW subclasses added on top of the old because of extra variety but i think adding a new class entirely would put the games 3 player fireteams at odds if something happened to be super broken op.

i want to see the depth of their on-world gameplay mechanics and i want to see the raid launch sooner since half the casual playerbase was long gone before vault of glass was released but that's really just me being pedantic.

Hang on a second.

We were told the EDZ is the largest zone they've ever made by a factor of 2 of Destiny's largest zone. Destiny's largest zone is the Cosmodrom, so the EDZ is twice the size of it.

That means Nessus, IO, and Titan are all smaller than the EDZ, and we don't know how much smaller at all.

I also haven't seen anyone say how many strikes Destiny 2 will launch with. Do you have a source for that one?

100+ new weapons isn't new content. It's recycled content, because everyone is just going to flock to the fast shooting AR archetype, or the medium passed Scout rifle archetype. The except here is possibly exotic weapons, but I'll hold judgment on those until I see some of them.

Let's start 30 Destiny 2 threads today. We need more.

I get where you are coming from BUT were you around here during Switch launch or basically any week that isnt the week Destiny 2 is revealed? I mean the number of Switch threads is staggering.

On topic - I want to see more of what they didnt show, rather than just hear/read about it. I am super excited (I bought the GS $100 edition when that went on sale and I hate GS) so I am all the way in, but I would definitely like to know more.

samred

My hope for this as a true sequel boils down to one thing at the event: the single Strike mission on offer. From my Ars hands-on piece:

Bungie's design team has restarted the series' Strike mission design from the ground up—and I know this is groanworthy, but I do mean that literally.

(I go into more detail in the article.)

This feels like a total engine do-over to accommodate how huge these levels are, and the kind of battle-pathing that they can deliver. Will the rest of the game really live up to this one Strike mission? Beats me. But I feel like it was a statement of intent: that the team finally got to work together on a unified mission of development, after Destiny 1 sputtered out of the gate with upheaval and staffing higgledy-piggledy.

Gator86

Saying Destiny 2 looks like DLC gives way too much credit to Destiny's DLC

some of the worst DLC content to price ratio in all of gaming.

Destiny 2 looks like a proper good Destiny 1 expansion, something we never got (even with TTK).

I think that's unfair. TTK was good DLC. Rise was a solid 7/10 type product. That said, yeah, the first two DLCs were the whipped cream and cherry on the middle finger sundae that was vanilla Destiny.

I was expecting at least one new full class. Or at least 100% different subclasses for the current 3. At least one full new enemy faction, not just new units for the current ones. And god dammit, would it have killed them to do new loading screen animations? After all the collective hours I spent watching the same ship animation in D1, I sure would appreciate something different to look at.
Right?! I mean- for crying out loud the Guardian crest has 4 spaces! They could've easily bullshit a half assed story for a whole new class! They did it for subclasses. But no. Here we are again, Titan, Hunter, and Warlock- 2/3s of us will behave near identical to the 300+ hours many of us put into the previous title.

And people can compare it to WoW expansions, but even at its base core- WoW expansions add new abilities for each class every time. Including entire new reworks for some!

It just feels so bottom level effort- sure I'd take new enemies. But I'd also take way improved AI over a batch of some basic level enemies- along with bosses with new mechanics instead of being tank n spank. Give me Fallen than are at least on par with Covenant in terms of interactions. Make them speak a human language, let them be as entertaining as grunts and as imposing as Elites.

Bungie could do so much better, we've seen it before.

I honestly think, a lot of the times, it's easier to blame a developer for not reaching expectations over accepting your own jadedness and diminishing love of games.

Ganhyun

As someone whp put tons of time in Destiny 1, I wont be buying this day one or pre-ordering it. I'll wait and see what its actually like before buying or not.

Got burned by the overselling/hyping Bungie did for Destiny 1 and its first 2 DLCs, which, while containing some new story and stuff, were very lackluster for their price.

Frankly Destiny 1 would have been better served with the base game and everything up to the Taken King being the initial game, and then having multiple Taken King/Rise of Iron sized DLCs. It would have made it worth it in my opinion.

It looks like a Destiny game, and I think that is a good thing. I don't think people who enjoyed the first game want to see some kind of wholesale change in the sequel.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first (just not my type of game), so the trailer didn't do much for me. On the other hand my son loves Destiny, and cannot wait for this game. He walked away from the trailer super excited for September.

rjcc

I haven't seen most of the response, but it looks like Destiny 1.5 to me.

there are a lot of things about the way Destiny is constructed that I don't like, that it doesn't seem like they're addressing, but the stuff they are addressing is the bits around the edges.

maybe I'll pick it up, maybe I won't.

Right?! I mean- for crying out loud the Guardian crest has 4 spaces! They could've easily bullshit a half assed story for a whole new class! They did it for subclasses. But no. Here we are again, Titan, Hunter, and Warlock- 2/3s of us will behave near identical to the 300+ hours many of us put into the previous title.

And people can compare it to WoW expansions, but even at its base core- WoW expansions add new abilities for each class every time. Including entire new reworks for some!

It just feels so bottom level effort- sure I'd take new enemies. But I'd also take way improved AI over a batch of some basic level enemies- along with bosses with new mechanics instead of being tank n spank. Give me Fallen than are at least on par with Covenant in terms of interactions. Make them speak a human language, let them be as entertaining as grunts and as imposing as Elites.

God, this alone would be amazing. I hate that only Oryx and now Gall seem to be the only english speakers. Like why? I mean, you don't have to give language to the Hive or Vex, but Fallen and Cabal should definitely have it.

Gator86

Gotta have something to sell for next year's DLC expansion.

Nabbis

I honestly think, a lot of the times, it's easier to blame a developer for not reaching expectations over accepting your own jadedness and diminishing love of games.

Im sure me getting frozen lasagne from a respected restaurant and being dissapointed speaks volumes of my diminished love for food.

Oh wait, that makes no sense.

ByWatterson

It looks like DLC because it merely iterates on an already unfulfilling (albeit addictive) gameplay loop.

What would I want? Scope, scale, explorability.

Destiny and, it appears, Destiny 2, are the videogame equivalent of The Lord of the Rings performed on a tiny stage off-broadway. It's a big idea painted on a tiny canvas.

ByWatterson

Also, be honest, from watching the gameplay, especially the strike, if someone told you that was from D1...you'd believe them.

If someone showed me essentially any gameplay snippet from Uncharted 2 and told me it was from Uncharted 1, I'd ask them were the Candid Camera was.

Kinyou

Did bungie give a reason why lfg features weren't patched into Destiny 1? It just feels odd that this is now marketed as a great feature of the sequel.

Also, be honest, from watching the gameplay, especially the strike, if someone told you that was from D1...you'd believe them.

If someone showed me essentially any gameplay snippet from Uncharted 2 and told me it was from Uncharted 1, I'd ask them were the Candid Camera was.

This is actual a very good statement right here.

GametimeUK

It looks like the amount of new stuff and upgrades justify the price ofor admission for a lot of people. Ultimately that's what matters (not whether or not it should be a sequel or an expansion).

K.Sabot

I think that's unfair. TTK was good DLC. Rise was a solid 7/10 type product. That said, yeah, the first two DLCs were the whipped cream and cherry on the middle finger sundae that was vanilla Destiny.

TTK would have been good DLC if they hadn't already established what their $20 dlc expansions were.

We all understook TTK was on another level from the others, I was unconvinced when they thought it was worthy of a $40 expansion.

TTK added a new, albeit smaller feeling area, to a game where the 4 areas feel like larger halo 1 levels instead of actual MMO zones. So I feel like most people overvalued TTK just because the bar was already set so low with vanilla destiny and its "expansions".

dengatron

100+ new weapons isn't new content. It's recycled content, because everyone is just going to flock to the fast shooting AR archetype, or the medium passed Scout rifle archetype. The except here is possibly exotic weapons, but I'll hold judgment on those until I see some of them.

good one m8. new guns and armor totally aren't content. come the fuck on. new weapon SKINS are content. just because it's not the content you want doesn't mean it's not content. new gun archetypes add new gunplay.

"new strikes are recycled content because everyone is just going to do the most efficient one and we've already fought a boss before in this game so it's just a different boss but like the same boss"

recks

Plus, lets be honest. As soon as Destiny 2 launches, any sort of matchmaking activity is going straight to shit for Destiny 1.

The strike playlist? May as well be gone.
PvP? May as well be gone.
Iron Banner likely wont come back simply because Bungie isn't going to support it. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the weekly activities just straight up vanish like they did for the 360/ps3 players when Rise of Iron came out.
I don't see the point here. In which game did your stuff transfer over?

Will the player pool be much smaller? Sure, but that doesn't lock you out of anything. People still play MW2 after what, 7 years?

DrBo42

100% true.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I always assume people are taking the piss and actually joking with lists like the OP.

"Game has new stuff in, like a WHOLE NEW STORY! New LOOT!" Wowee.

Bungie used to jump from Halo 1 to Halo 2, then to 3 and perhaps a smaller step with Reach. Destiny 1 felt like a step backward and then Destiny 2 feels like treading water.

good one m8. new guns and armor totally aren't content. come the fuck on. new weapon SKINS are content. just because it's not the content you want doesn't mean it's not content. new gun archetypes add new gunplay.

"new strikes are recycled content because everyone is just going to do the most efficient one and we've already fought a boss before in this game so it's just a different boss but like the same boss"

I'm not sure I understand your counter point.

I'm saying the way Bungie designs their weapons is they have certain archetypes. They even call them this in the patch notes.

For instance, The Felwinter's Archetype is a specific type of shotgun that shoots very slow, but has the biggest punch to it.

The original Felwinter came out with the first Iron Banner. But since the, every time there is an expansion, their have been new weapons with different visual designs, but they all fall to the same archetypes. So naturally people seek out the next Felwinter shotgun.

Telling me or anyone that the game has 100+ new weapons isn't really accurate because those 100+ new weapons aren't new outside of their visual appearance. They're going to play exactly the same as their predecessors. With the exception of exotics, of course.

Gator86

Kotaku seems to agree as they've continually called it Destiny 1.5. I guess they're just haters...

Article/podcast link

There's more to come so it'll be interesting what they decide to show off next and how the impressions actually are outside GAF/tiny internet bubbles.

I don't see the point here. In which game did your stuff transfer over?

Will the player pool be much smaller? Sure, but that doesn't lock you out of anything. People still play MW2 after what, 7 years?

For a person who only has 30 minutes to play a game, they aren't going to want to sit in a queue for 5+ minutes. It's just part of the natural lifecycle of an online game.

Yes, there will be some people who stick around, but matchmaking times are going to skyrocket, and for a game that matchmakes everything you do, Destiny is going to feel it even harder.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFSQZKkmetU

Same designs, same AI patterns, same models.

If this had been leaked last year and I was told that it was from Destiny: The Taken Cabal expansion, there is nothing in that video that would make me question that.

I can not believe that they are STILL using the same tired approaches to strikes. After ALL this time. They give guardians cool abilities and good movement options and yet Strike bosses are still slow-moving large version of enemy with big gun where the challenge comes not from interesting boss design but staying alive through waves of adds.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Destiny 2 is very much an, if it's not broke, don't fix it, approach to sequels.

Two major components were basically perfect in Destiny: The UI, and the gameplay. Bungie knows what they got right and there's no reason to reboot those.

What they're doing is changing pretty much everything around them.

I feel like some people really don't understand how much the changes to Crucible and the weapon system actually changes how the game plays.

Those are really big, especially the weapon changes.

Fbh

From what some Destiny fan friends have told me I think it's because of how the original was kinda constructed like a MMO.
New story missions, new locations, a new raid, new wepons, etc, that's the type of thing people have come to expect from expansions and from Destiny as this ever growing game.

With this being called Destiny 2 and starting again as a standalone game some people were expecting more radical changes in the same way that I think expectations would be different if we ever got a Wow 2 or a Final Fantasy XIV-2 and Blizzard/Square were like "so there are new locations and a new story, and we have reworked the classes a bit and there is a new raid"

recks

For a person who only has 30 minutes to play a game, they aren't going to want to sit in a queue for 5+ minutes. It's just part of the natural lifecycle of an online game.

Yes, there will be some people who stick around, but matchmaking times are going to skyrocket, and for a game that matchmakes everything you do, Destiny is going to feel it even harder.
The Matchmaking will be longer? So what?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It looks like more of the same.

Yawn.

Still no space combat? That would've turned heads.

Or are they still just treating ships as a cosmetic loading screen?

Also Destiny's story was so bad there's no reason to be invested in the new game's story given what happened last time.

xRaizen

I think the problem is that they didn't really show anything that was "next gen". D1 was definitely hampered by being cross-gen, but I think most of us expected something huge with the fact that they don't have to develop for PS3/360 anymore.

djnewwest

Banned
To me it looks more like a reboot or remake of vanilla Destiny than a true sequel. I'm still excited but a couple of things that stick out to me are:

-Same enemies and factions.
-Same NPC's and environments.

I'm starting to think that the reason we cant use our Destiny 1 characters is because it would feel even more like a expansion to the original game.

Gator86

If this had been leaked last year and I was told that it was from Destiny: The Taken Cabal expansion, there is nothing in that video that would make me question that.

I can not believe that they are STILL using the same tired approaches to strikes. After ALL this time. They give guardians cool abilities and good movement options and yet Strike bosses are still slow-moving large version of enemy with big gun where the challenge comes not from interesting boss design but staying alive through waves of adds.

I can't recall any boss encounter outside a raid which is different from this. They just seem to simply not give a shit. It was one of my biggest complaints about D1. Three years and they still seem to be apathetic to any level of effort for encounter design outside the raids. I'm hoping I'm totally wrong and they actually have some interesting non-raid encounters in D2.

I was expecting Destiny 2 to live up to the original promise of Destiny which was more or less an open world multiplayer Halo with cool loot and stories to tell through player Adventures.

djnewwest

Banned

I stopped watching when I saw the boss was the exact same model of the Minotaurs, just really big.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So was the light level changes and those came in an expansion.

No, that was not something that changed how the game itself played. Having two primaries, one of them always elemental, while moving snipers and shotguns into the same slot as rocket launchers completely changes how people play the game and strategize with Fireteams.

But this is ridiculous at this point. You'll brush everything off as "could have been in an expansion!"

The list of changes and features in this game is par for the course with a sequel to a AAA game. It's really that simple.

Alienous

It doesn't look distinct from Destiny 1. If footage of Destiny 2 was mixed with Destiny 1 I wouldn't think "Woah, was that a sequel?" - I'd think "Was that a new map/gun?".

First post nails it. Unrealistic expectations as always. Reveal looked sweet.

I guess you can call this an expansion times 4? Even then that is not bad.

Top Bottom