• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunsoft and Gaijinworks Team Up in NA: Blaster Master to VC and NIHON TELENET RIGHTS

lyre

bryehn said:
I love Blaster Master. Would buy a 2D remake/update in a heartbeat...
No you won't.

All three subsequent sequels (for Megadrive, PSX and Gameboy Colour) pale in comparison.

GhaleonQ

GhostSeed said:
Waku Waku 7 on VC please!

Even Japan didn't get Astra Super Stars in their Sunsoft Collection. I demand a U.S. Galaxy Fight/Waku Waku 7/Astra Super Stars release!

vireland

bryehn said:
I love Blaster Master. Would buy a 2D remake/update in a heartbeat and will play the VC with a huge grin on my face. My cart was stolen many moon ago.

There's some cool (as in unique - hello workling designs!) promotional things available for those that buy the VC version. There'll be details on the website around the launch of the game.

Vamphuntr

GhaleonQ said:
Even Japan didn't get Astra Super Stars in their Sunsoft Collection. I demand a U.S. Galaxy Fight/Waku Waku 7/Astra Super Stars release!

Is Astra Super Stars any good? The videos on youtube sure make it seems like a crazy fightning game. I remember seeing crazy prices on Ebay for the Saturn version of this.

TunaLover

GhaleonQ said:
You can have Galaxy Fight on VC, excelent emulation =P

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Man I loved Blaster Master as a kid. But I also remember it being hard as hell. I don't know if my modern skills will be up to the task...

vireland

Dupy said:
Man I loved Blaster Master as a kid. But I also remember it being hard as hell. I don't know if my modern skills will be up to the task...

You'll be rewarded for making the effort this time around. :)

GhaleonQ

Vamphuntr said:
Is Astra Super Stars any good? The videos on youtube sure make it seems like a crazy fightning game. I remember seeing crazy prices on Ebay for the Saturn version of this.

It's definitely better than Galaxy Fight and definitely not as good as Waku Waku 7. Capcom's comics Versus series + the Dragon Ball fighting games? The aesthetics are pretty funny, too, so it's just fun to look at. And, yeah, it's really hard to find online (I don't know about in Japan), which is why leaving it out was so peculiar.

TunaLover said:
You can have Galaxy Fight on VC, excelent emulation =P

Bu-But...I want them all together! Compilations or bust!

jesusraz

vireland said:
Europe is in the works. Don't fret.
Excellent news.

Hopefully Hebereke's Popoitto from the SNES will be coming back as well. I was hooked on that back in the 90s - enjoyed it far more than with the Puyo Puyo games. I vaguely remember one of the characters shouting something that sounded like 'Dustin Hoffman' - or am I going crazy? ;)

lyre said:
No you won't.

Do you have some insight on a persons inner workings and desires?

Wow, that must be convenient.

On the note of Blaster Master... Awesome.

PSX Blaster Master is underrated.

Edit: More Albert Odyssey.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Chemo said:
Err... two of those are licensed games which means huge legal hurdles, and I wouldn't particularly call any of them very good.
Road Runner blasts games today way out of the water

Blaster Master is a great game to bring to VC, much like Ogre Battle: it has absolutely no save function, and the first time through the game can be very long. With Ogre Battle, which saves between maps, some maps can take over four hours long, thus making the addition of suspend save-states a huge boon to players.

I know one of my friends always recommended that one plays Blaster Master on an emu for that reason alone.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Waku Waku 7 + Galaxy Fight + Roomi gets her own guest spot in a Zero the Kamikazi Squirrel / Aero the Acrobat crossover game? (o_O)

Welcome back to the US, Sunsoft! Hope to see you guys on XBLA sometime, too! Looking forward to that announcement, too, Gaijinworks! (An updated HD 2D Cadash would be so cool.)

Vamphuntr said:
That's not even Sunsoft :D . It's clearly gonna be T.R.A.G 2.

I'd play it! And for some reason, speaking about T.R.A.G makes me wish for Silent Bomber and Trap Gunner sequels... But that has nothing to do with Sunsoft... (-_-;)

lordmrw

Dragona Akehi said:
Blaster Master is a great game to bring to VC, much like Ogre Battle: it has absolutely no save function, and the first time through the game can be very long. With Ogre Battle, which saves between maps, some maps can take over four hours long, thus making the addition of suspend save-states a huge boon to players.

I know one of my friends always recommended that you play Blaster Master on an emu for that reason alone.

That was always something I wished Blaster Master had, a save function or passwords. Having to replay long stretches of the game just to get back to where you were was such a pain the ass. I'm sure I could blow through it in an hour or so now, but man back in the day whenever i got game over it was depressing as hell knowing whatI would have to go through to get another chance to fix one of my screwups.

Noogy

Ahh, Blaster Master, my first NES era purchase. I love that game so much, and am glad to see Sunsoft back in business.

With all the recent posts about Metroidvanias, many forget that Blaster Master was one of the first (and imo one of the best).

GhaleonQ

It's kind of great that underpraised companies like Data East and Sunsoft are getting a chance to shine again. I'm sure Gaijinworks will do a great job.

lordmrw said:
That was always something I wished Blaster Master had, a save function or passwords. Having to replay long stretches of the game just to get back to where you were was such a pain the ass. I'm sure I could blow through it in an hour or so now, but man back in the day whenever i got game over it was depressing as hell knowing whatI would have to go through to get another chance to fix one of my screwups.

Haha, be careful though! Remember that the VC 'save state' is only a suspend save: it erases itself after you reload the game up. So if you fuck up horribly, you're still fucked.

GDGF

Soothsayer
thomaser said:
Ufouria is a great Metroid-like game where you have four different characters you can choose between on the fly, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

That sounds awesome and kind of like Zillion for the Master System.

Stumpokapow said:
Boy, Gaijinworks is... different than I expected it to turn out.

Really? After being a Working Designs fan, waiting what seems like interminable years for project announcements is exactly how I expected it to turn out. :lol

NichM

Banned
charlequin said:
Really? After being a Working Designs fan, waiting what seems like interminable years for project announcements is exactly how I expected it to turn out. :lol

This isn't a project, though. Sunsoft doesn't need Gaijinworks to publish games on VC. I'm assuming Vic's involvement will be clearer with next week's (?) announcement.

NichM said:
This isn't a project, though. Sunsoft doesn't need Gaijinworks to publish games on VC. I'm assuming Vic's involvement will be clearer with next week's (?) announcement.

I'm going to be so disappointed if there isn't an option for the original "translation" of Waku Waku 7, if it ever gets released.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Whimsical Phil said:
Curse you, Anticipatioooooooooooooooooooooooooon!

Seriously, though, I would be endlessly delighted if Anticipation came out on VC on the same day as Blaster Master.

I expect discussion of Blaster Master in the next P1P!

Any hint as to what or where this upcoming big game announcement is and going to?

Another retro release? Brand new retail game? Wii? Whatever?

I guess a week Isn't long of a wait if you can`t say. :p

Johnas

I bought a cart of Blaster Master last year (played it as a kid but never owned or finished it) and got really into it. I finished it in four nights of pretty intensive playing.

It really does hold up well, and has some catchy tunes. One track in particular will never leave my head. I preferred the vehicle segments (and controlling the little guy in those segments) to the dungeons, but the dungeons were still OK.

Upgrading the vehicle Metroid-style and getting access to new areas is really satisfying.

In short, buy this game if you love good, semi-tough NES classics.

explodet said:
Blaster Master, awesome.
Here are some examples of one of my favorite parts of this game, its soundtrack!

Area 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwShv5A_1ZA

Ah yep, that's the one I referred to. Good stuff.

vireland

Hero of Legend said:
Any hint as to what or where this upcoming big game announcement is and going to?

Another retro release? Brand new retail game? Wii? Whatever?

I guess a week Isn't long of a wait if you can`t say. :p

I've already said enough. It is completely different than people will expect, and I *think* it will blow some gamers away completely. Pretty large scope. Just a week more.

Hobbun

Macstorm said:
Interesting. On the official forums Victor says, "The next press release should definitely make some gamers very, very happy - especially old-school Working Designs fans."

vireland said:
Wait until next week. You have NO idea.

O_O

Monday can't come fast enough.

vireland said:
It is completely different than people will expect,

Oh Vic, I hope it isn't too different that what we would expect. Please give us some of that RPG goodness you were known for at WD.

vireland said:
Next FRIDAY. One week from today. Can't put all the goodness too close together or we'll just have a mess of joyful exuberance and no one wanting to mop up.

There's another press release for a week after that, too. :)

Right, gotcha. I figured Monday as that was our press releases. These titles have to be coming up fast though as it's for this month. :)

vireland

Hobbun said:
O_O

Monday can't come fast enough.

Next FRIDAY. One week from today. Can't put all the goodness too close together or we'll just have a mess of joyful exuberance and no one wanting to mop up.

Blaster Master! Such a great game... I even had the Worlds of Power novelization as a kid.
BlasterMasterBook.jpg

Can kids still write book reports about video games?

Vamphuntr

vireland said:

Can't wait! It seems WD will finally come back from the dead as Gaijinworks.

This is a must get for me. Blaster Master is still great after all these years. Sophia and I have work to do.

Bring me Journey to Sillius and Super Spy Hunter and make me even more happy.

duckroll

Well, not only was Albert Odyssey a Sunsoft title, but I checked the Japanese patent office database to see what trademarks Sunsoft has registered lately, and there's a 2009 application for Albert Odyssey complete with the original title logo. Hmmm... new entry?

john tv

Nice! Good to see you back on the front lines, Vic. I'm not much of a Blaster Master fan myself (enjoyed it at the time, tho), but I'll definitely buy it on VC to support the cause. :)

john tv

BTW, could this have anything to do with the recent Falcom talk of coming to the US? Or was that mystery solved already?

faridmon

vireland said:

I can't wait, thanks Gaijinworks, and to have an ally to us European is always a plus, don't forget us, like Atlus.

vireland said:
I've already said enough. It is completely different than people will expect, and I *think* it will blow some gamers away completely. Pretty large scope. Just a week more.

Believe.

Top Bottom