• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

kirblar

Toxic traits are PERCEIVED differently based on gender. And you're arguing that to be female is necessarily to be feminine/to be male is to be masculine. Male and female are genders, Masculinity and femininity are social values.

There is minimal argument about any trait being inherent to any gender. The best argument is that a character like Bakugou is statistically more likely to be male in our society, based on a combination of genetic/social forces shaping their personality (though imo it's far more social than genetic. I'd love to see what kind of social norms an egalitarian but still militaristic society would produce)

but there is nothing suggesting a female Bakugou can't exist, and it's easy peasy to imagine it. Just take Bakugo and imagine he has tits.
Young men being about a billion times more likely to get themselves killed due to overconfidence and underestimating risk relative to young women isn't a difference in perception.

Yes, men can have feminine traits and vice versa. But if you're trying to use a character as a teaching tool (and I'd argue "don't be Bakugou, learn from his mistakes" is clearly intended in MHA) then you need to make him something recognizable to people, rather than an outlier.

I'll use the bullying as an example- it's absolutely a negative trait seen in both genders. But the way in which women bully vs the way men do tends to be expressed differently (women dial down direct physical conflict growing up far earlier than men do) and Deku's history of dealing with physical aggression from Bakugou would feel really off to people if you simply flipped Bakugou's gender.

If you wanted to do a female Bakugou and maintain anything close to the same sort of relationship w/ Deku, I actually think you'd need to gender-swap them both.
Let's be fair. if you change Bakugou's gender nothing would change in the story.
Absolutely disagree.

Veelk

Banned
Young men being about a billion times more likely to get themselves killed due to overconfidence and underestimating risk relative to young women isn't a difference in perception.

No, but the underlying factors that LEAD to said overconfidence and underestimating risk, namely the belief that men ought to be aggressive and active, are a perception. You're talking about the actions that result from that kind of perception in society. Again, we don't know how much of the gender differences we see are actually the result of genetics until we find an actual egalitarian society, which isn't happening any time soon.

Yes, men can have feminine traits and vice versa. But if you're trying to use a character as a teaching tool (and I'd argue "don't be Bakugou, learn from his mistakes" is clearly intended in MHA) then you need to make him something recognizable to people, rather than an outlier.

I'll use the bullying as an example- it's absolutely a negative trait seen in both genders. But the way in which women bully vs the way men do tends to be expressed differently (women dial down direct physical conflict growing up far earlier than men do) and Deku's history of dealing with physical aggression from Bakugou would feel really off to people if you simply flipped Bakugou's gender.

If you wanted to do a female Bakugou and maintain anything close to the same sort of relationship w/ Deku, I actually think you'd need to gender-swap them both.

Well, for one, I fundamentally disagree with you that the primary purpose of Bakugou's character is a teachable moment. The primary purpose of Bakugou's character is to be a character. A particular type of person living in a particular world. As far as I'm concerned, there's little more pathetic than stories that actually just want to be essays.

You don't have to change anything about female Bakugou's character to make her and Deku have the same type of relationship they have now. However, what would change is the audience perception of that. Audiences would probably hate Bakugou a lot more because they judge flaws in female characters much more harshly than in men, and would probably look down on Deku even more for having taken Bakugou's shit. And, obviously, this would be a far more unusual situation to have a female character bully a male physically and emotionally, so maybe some people simply wouldn't know how to react to that as much.

But that's on the audience, not the characters.

kirblar

No one would comment about Bakugou "beating up" on a girl. They'd know from Day 1 to cut that shit out lol
That was one of the things that suddenly stood out to me looking back after Bakugou finally just cracks and breaks down post-rescue after I was like "Am I crazy or is he being written as a closeted gay kid here?"

Totally missed all the Kirishima implications though. Cultural gulfs are fun.

NSESN

No one would comment about Bakugou "beating up" on a girl. They'd know from Day 1 to cut that shit out lol

It is the only moment, but even then they could always change to the the david vs goliath trope.
Bakugou's gender is the less relevant thing about him.

LotusHD

Banned
It is the only moment, but even then they could always change to the the david vs goliath trope.
Bakugou's gender is the less relevant thing about him.

Too late, no buts, you said I was right!

JDPtPA3.gif

Raxus

At least use the good version

A little late but now I think about it Kaminari and Ashido had the least fair matchup. The only hindrance the teachers had was weights but the principal's quirk isn't governed by physical ability like the rest. All it did was make it harder for him to drink tea and pull levers. He even held back like Eraserhead and still won easily.

Can't wait for the anime to cover Bakugo and Deku vs. All Might. Glad they end right before the trip. Season 3 is going to be bonkers.

kirblar

Yeah, they had what was effectively a giant maze, not a direct fight, and neither of them had movement powers to try and track the principal down.

...I just got that the principal was effectively having the kids run like mice through a lab maze lol

caliph95

Yeah, they had what was effectively a giant maze, not a direct fight, and neither of them had movement powers to try and track the principal down.

...I just got that the principal was effectively having the kids run like mice through a lab maze lol
It's revenge

But maybe, the point was that if Kaminari and Ashido were more clever, they could've found a way to direct his lightning into the principal as a chain reaction, as kind of a counter to the way he was attacking them.

kirblar

But maybe, the point was that if Kaminari and Ashido were more clever, they could've found a way to direct his lightning into the principal as a chain reaction, as kind of a counter to the way he was attacking them.
You still don't pass if you kill the principal!

Philippo

That's kinda my point, toxic/negative feminine traits present very differently from toxic/negative masculine traits. Both in media and real life.

Idk, to me an asshole is an asshole.
Though i actually imagine BakuMom was probably more like a gang leader-type of person than an actual jerk like her son. I mean she didn't have Kacchan's Quirk, which is what developed his egoistic attitude.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Going to get a theory in before the new chapter hits us.

So with the talk last few pages about the absence of Dragon patrol, I gave that a bit more thought as to why we might not have seen them. Usually, when a story withholds information, it's meant in service of a reveal and so what would make for a good and logical reveal?
Oh hey look the Villian's Alliance is outside the door, finally about to not fuck up a plan! Maybe they'll collapse the tunnels or something?
I still think the lack of a proper fight from Dragon patrol is terrible, and that the author could have done a fight AND this kind of reveal, but that's a conversation for if I'm right.

NSESN

Yeah i'm going with the theory that they were probably overpowered by the villain.

That'd be worse than a off-screen victory. They have Rank 10 hero, a big 3 member + 2 people to beat one expendable, while Mirio beat 2, Suneater beat 3 and Fat Gum beat 2 with Kirishima help.

Philippo

LOL i love how someone is talking about Mineta's ability to foresee or the lack of, when they don't know yet there's a character based on that feature.

MrCinos

Yeah i'm going with the theory that they were probably overpowered by the villain.

That villain has to be a lot more impressive than Overhaul himself then. That encounter has the most overkill factor on heroes' side. It's hard for me to imagine the need for other girls to do anything when they've a top 10 rank hero clashing with one of the expendables even if he ends up being the strongest among them.

caliph95

Considering they're implying Overhaul being better than any of the expendables I doubt the dude is that strong

Don't know why it takes them more than a few minutes to easily beat the guy

NSESN

Between all the mineta talk we missed that the VA of Dabi and Toga were revealed:
Dabi - Shimono Hiro (Conny Springer- AoT)
Toga Himiko - Fukuen Misato (Yami - To Love-ru)

It wasn't what I was expecting.

There's still a large enough backlog of material - plus the current season of the anime coming to a close - that he could do it without too much issue too. Would rather wait on releases than see his health deteriorate.

Top Bottom