• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

False. I played that track 5 times on PC maxed out. It looks exactly like it does in the video screenshot that I took. The only reason I used video screenshot and not my own is because I can't take actual screenshot right now.

Can confirm, it's so dark I had difficulty seeing where my car was going. On an SDR display.

Played the Forza 7 demo before work this morning.

Why does is have to start with assisted steering and breaking :(

Maybe it’s the new tele but the HDR makes the game lighting look mint, especially the wet race. Looks great and is super smooth.

The Dubai track seems canny but the Porsche understeers like a pig.

The Nurburgring race is loads better.

Love the new closer cockpit cam (could remove the speedometer on the hud now), and the transitions between views are can.

Suits are ok, nice you can faff with them and setting while loading now.

Super trucks are ok, I’d have rather had bikes.

It’s more Forza 👍 and have it downloading on the PC to check out 4k after work.

Because you didnt think to turn them off. They give you 3 chances to turn them off before you get on the track. Which means you were playing with the driving line on since you never entered the menu to turn it off, so its odd to complain about assist being on by default when you are using assist.

c0de

Because you didnt think to turn them off. They give you 3 chances to turn them off before you get on the track. Which means you were playing with the driving line on since you never entered the menu to turn it off, so its odd to complain about assist being on by default when you are using assist.

We already saw reports from people not playing multiplayer if they don't get a kill in their first match.
First impressions are important for casual players and they are in a vast majority. If someone thinks he is too "elite" to even bear and cope with the first races to be targeted at a wider audience, they should just move on. Everything is customizable after the introduction so I don't see why complaining has any legit reason. Especially people who think they don't need the hand to be held should be able to adjust settings in a game.

MaLDo

3:54 mark
https://youtu.be/ntAjm9IVJ6k

Was alsl confirmed by Helios himeself when I asked in a different thread.

The exact tunnel part of that screenshot is a bit improved in the demo, but the first turn in the tunnel is as black as that e3 shot. I mean, there is a bit more light in some part of the tunnel but the problem remains. There are parts of the tunner where we can't see a shit.

Screenshots from the demo footage you linked

forza2blackfosxy.jpg

I don't know how they think is ok to not have head lights plus more tunnel lights inside the tunnel.

GHG

I don't know what they've done to the handling in this version of the game but I don't like it. It feels dumbed down.

While it looks and sounds great, everything else is lacking. The conditions changing in the Nissan race seem like it's just a visual effect for the most part , the grip levels remain the same minus the areas where the puddles are.

Maybe I've outgrown Forza while they are making the game more and more casual with each iteration. Oh well.

Yeah first impression were it looked pretty good for the old Xbox (I've never liked the damn machine) but the driving put me right off, had a chance to mess about with the wheel settings and starting to quite enjoy it tbh. Like F6 I doubt I'll bother driving all the cars or getting into the career mode but I can imagine 12 months worth of play. As nice as it looks the weather feels wasted without needing to pit.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i've cancelled my preorder as i'm not happy with performance. it's OK most of the time but having the game completely freeze video/audio for 2-3 seconds every lap is unacceptable. then you have all the stuttering in menus which i could deal but it just makes me think they have no idea what they're doing with the PC version.

i'll hold off a couple months and see if performance is improved. hopefully the demo isn't representative of the full game and is based on an old build or that there will be nvidia drivers released to help.

other than performance I'm quite happy with the game. driving feels good to me and there is no denying just how great the game looks.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I've never been able to get G-sync to work for UWP titles. The G-sync FPS counter remains locked at 144Hz in both Horizons 3 and Forza 7.

Yep, I have G-sync enabled for full screen and windowed/borderless mode in the NVIDIA control panel. Works perfectly for Steam, Blizzard, Origin etc. but for the life of me I must have missed a setting somewhere for UWP titles.

Ironic thing is, I've never noticed any screen tearing in Horizons or Forza. Seems buttery smooth on my 1080ti @ 1440p. Monitor is an XB271HU Predator.

I don't know what they've done to the handling in this version of the game but I don't like it. It feels dumbed down.

While it looks and sounds great, everything else is lacking. The conditions changing in the Nissan race seem like it's just a visual effect for the most part , the grip levels remain the same minus the areas where the puddles are.

Maybe I've outgrown Forza while they are making the game more and more casual with each iteration. Oh well.

I don't feel this way at all. I feel FM5, FM6 and now FM7 all feel very alike. I think the presentation has become more casual with each version though and eases new players a lot more in. I know it annoys the hell out of veterans or more hardcore sim fans, but I personally think it's a good direction.

I would like them to do the following though:
-Make a fucking choice at the boot up of the game asking if you are a sim FM veteran or a casual racer, one sends you straight to assist setup the other sends you on a forced all assist race.
-Ease new players and casuals into gradually disabling assists though the main "story mode". With tips like "lets try ABS deactivated for this next cup, just remember to..." etc. giving helpful recommendations and such. Then deactivate the next one and so. Explaining and helping casuals to sim racers along the way with tips and things to remember.

danowat

Banned

Exactly the same impressions with me, not sure exactly what they've done, but it doesn't feel like Forza anymore.

That's making an assumption about what people want. Maybe they are quite happy being what many of you call a "casual" and are quite capable of enjoying the videogame without being made to turn the ABS off. Why create a campaign that forces them to do something they may not enjoy?

I know there's a feeling among "get good" gamers that "casuals" are missing out on something. But they are not. They are playing with their toys how they want to play with them. And don't need bigger kids pushing in and saying they should play with their toys differently. Why do you care so much about how other people are enjoying a game?

Forza gives players free will to play how they want. But it seems some evangelicals aren't happy with that freewill. Some gamers are living gaming lifestyles that are disapproved of by the evangelicals. And so these evangelicals want to force people into certain gaming lifestyles. Comes across a bit off to me. "Have you tried not being casual?" "People aren't born wanting assists" "Maybe we can offer career assists-off therapy".

As to a choice at the beginning "are your a filthy casual or a proper race driver". Well that's too binary. Many people are bi, they shouldn't be forced into that choice right away.

As to the FM7 demo. You have many chances to change the assists before getting on the track. No one is forced to start a race with assists on at all.

willbsn13

I don't feel this way at all. I feel FM5, FM6 and now FM7 all feel very alike. I think the presentation has become more casual with each version though and eases new players a lot more in. I know it annoys the hell out of veterans or more hardcore sim fans, but I personally think it's a good direction.

I would like them to do the following though:
-Make a fucking choice at the boot up of the game asking if you are a sim FM veteran or a casual racer, one sends you straight to assist setup the other sends you on a forced all assist race.
-Easy new players and casuals into gradually disabling assists though the main "story mode". With tips like "lets try ABS deactivated for this next cup, just remember to..." etc. giving helpful recommendations and such. Then deactivate the next one and so. Explaining and helping casuals to sim racers along the way with tips and things to remember.

Agree with all of this.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
They have given us the choice to select what assists we want. I'm happy with that. It doesn't take much to change these settings. Set them to whatever suits you. Is that so hard, are you lazy, or do you just not like having options?

Most people who pick up this game are going to be "casuals" playing with a controller and not people looking for simulation while sitting behind a wheel as the game loads up. So I can understand why the default assists are as they are.

Momentary

Banned

Exactly the same impressions with me, not sure exactly what they've done, but it doesn't feel like Forza anymore.

I felt the same way. Driving in the rain was way too easy in this demo. Even when set to realistic driving settings. I never felt at risk of losing control and was never afraid of gunning it out of turns or decelerating and braking during turns. It feels way too safe.

They have given us the choice to select what assists we want. I'm happy with that. It doesn't take much to change these settings. Set them to whatever suits you. Is that so hard, are you lazy, or do you just not like having options?

Most people who pick up this game are going to be "casuals" playing with a controller and not people looking for simulation while sitting behind a wheel as the game loads up. So I can understand why the default assists are as they are.

Yes but some proper hardcore types might accidentally play one race right at the beginning with an assist on by mistake. The whole game is then ruined forever.

And they'll lose membership of the hardcore big-penis special digital pretend race driver club.

:)

danowat

Banned
Interesting that the game has introduced "marmite" driving physics, especially when they were pretty much globally liked (for what they were) in previous version.

That flagship Porsche for the game though, all assists off or not; fuck what a shit car to drive! Doesn't sell me on the real thing exactly, haha (as if I ever could afford one).

Noobcraft

Interesting that the game has introduced "marmite" driving physics, especially when they were pretty much globally liked (for what they were) in previous version.
The GTR and Truck drive in line with the FM6 equivalents, and feel good. The Porsche doesn't feel great to me, but I think it just has a bad tune for the track.

The hydroplaning feels like it might have been toned down, but I'll wait until nordschleife to make that call for sure.

The GTR and Truck drive in line with the FM6 equivalents, and feel good. The Porsche doesn't feel great to me, but I think it just has a bad tune for the track.

The hydroplaning feels like it might have been toned down, but I'll wait until nordschleife to make that call for sure.

This is my experience too. Didn't feel wildly different from FM6 for me. I wonder if the wet race was made a little easier for demo/show floor purposes. I guess I'll found out next Friday.

psychotron

The exact tunnel part of that screenshot is a bit improved in the demo, but the first turn in the tunnel is as black as that e3 shot. I mean, there is a bit more light in some part of the tunnel but the problem remains. There are parts of the tunner where we can't see a shit.

Screenshots from the demo footage you linked

forza2blackfosxy.jpg

I don't know how they think is ok to not have head lights plus more tunnel lights inside the tunnel.

Maybe that's an SDR issue, because on my 900E with HDR on, I can see perfectly fine. I actually turned the driving line off because I love how blindingly bright it gets as you exit the tunnel, and the driving line was so bright it took away from that, lol.

Maybe that's an SDR issue, because on my 900E with HDR on, I can see perfectly fine. I actually turned the driving line off because I love how blindingly bright it gets as you exit the tunnel, and the driving line was so bright it took away from that, lol.

Makes sense. They probably intentionally overdarkened that section of the track just so it would pop on HDR screens, but in the process they are screwing over big majority of people who are still using SDR screens, especially PC gamers. I wonder if this is a sneak peak of things to come where people with SDR screens will be severely handicapped because games are being built with HDR in mind and SDR compatibility will be sub-par.

About the assists:
I drive Forza without ABS, because I'm not a fan of being slow. But what I really want is ABS on, if the car comes with ABS. And I want to experience a shitty 1980s ABS system in older cars and some high tech ABS system that knows the slip curve under braking of the tire approved for this supercar and changes pulse frequency and force according to car pitch / tire loads and so and so on. Modern ABS systems are also used for torque vectoring. In short: Good ABS brakes better than any human.
Forza's aids are just from the stoneage and the only options are on/off. I think Forza's ABS and TCS are the last in this current gen of sims that don't even offer different degrees of intrusiveness, like GT for example did for ages on a 1-10 scale (though only "1" made sense, no brake lockup ever and maximum braking force).
I could go on about trigger throw vs the feel of a hydraulic, non-linear brake pedal how big the mismatch in current dport cars from brake force to treaded all-weather tires is, but let's just say that it's dumb to only have these one-size-fits-all aids and then to even gamify these inaccurate aids by telling you "driving assist systems are always bad and only there for losers, here, we give you more money to grow some balls and try to drive like a pro".

Yes you're right. I'd definitely welcome some more nuance in the assists.

At the very least a "real" option as PCars has, which puts assists on cars that have them.

As someone who's been playing a lot of FM6 lately the driving here felt pretty similar to me. Maybe the difference can be felt with a steering wheel setup.

I think they picked the GT-4 for the rainy track because it is a great handling car anyway so the difference felt would be minor but they get to show off the visuals. I must say the IQ is pretty damn great.

The 911 did drive like a boat initially but turning off the traction control made a big, big, big difference. It's a beast and very hard to handle. Not sure if putting it on a unknown track with the assists on was a good idea since it does drive terribad this way.

About the assists:
I drive Forza without ABS, because I'm not a fan of being slow. But what I really want is ABS on, if the car comes with ABS. And I want to experience a shitty 1980s ABS system in older cars and some high tech ABS system that knows the slip curve under braking of the tire approved for this supercar and changes pulse frequency and force according to car pitch / tire loads and so and so on. Modern ABS systems are also used for torque vectoring. In short: Good ABS brakes better than any human.
Forza's aids are just from the stoneage and the only options are on/off. I think Forza's ABS and TCS are the last in this current gen of sims that don't even offer different degrees of intrusiveness, like GT for example did for ages on a 1-10 scale (though only "1" made sense, no brake lockup ever and maximum braking force).
I could go on about trigger throw vs the feel of a hydraulic, non-linear brake pedal how big the mismatch in current dport cars from brake force to treaded all-weather tires is, but let's just say that it's dumb to only have these one-size-fits-all aids and then to even gamify these inaccurate aids by telling you "driving assist systems are always bad and only there for losers, here, we give you more money to grow some balls and try to drive like a pro".

I didn't even know there were 80's car with ABS. I usually take off all assist when driving older cars for this reason.

Modern TCS work with the ABS so I don't see much reason to offer different degees of this. Either you want the TCS or you don't. Unless it's a car that has different mode settings I don't see a reason to bother.

Plus, if you do a brake upgrade on your older car you can adjust the pedal pressure to suit your style so...

Novocaine

Looks really nice. I think I'll just stick with the FM5 freebie for now though. The next few months are going to be hectic on my wallet as is.

Bydobob

So after messing around with all the suggestions here I at least found that capping via RTSS cured the framepacing issues. At 165Hz I'm at least able to play at a smoothish 82fps by activating 60fps VSync in the in-game menu. ”Ish" because there are still those very occasional long hitches.

Disabling virtual cores actually gave me minor framedrops I wasn't getting with all cores activated, and didn't eliminate the hitching.

Disabling Gsync did nothing and running at 60Hz dropped the game down to 30fps with VSync activated in-game. Had to bump refresh rate up to 120Hz to get it to 60.

What I did end up doing though with all my messing around in NVCP was temporarily breaking the framerate lock, and I got the game running at a relatively stable 110fps. At these framerates disabling cores had a very noticeable impact on performance.

I also found that launching the game with an RTSS cap at 60fps results in a crash, so disable it or crank it higher prior to launching then fiddle with it once the race is underway.

At some point I'll get around to actually playing the game with my wheel ;)

Mascot

Yeah, FM's not for me any more. Not as a day one purchase, and not as a sim. The thought of being able to play FM at 4k with all the bells and whistles was one of the draws of moving to PC, but Apex (and now this demo) pretty much killed that buzz. It looks good during gameplay but just feels... hollow, somehow. Maybe 'lite'. It's hard to describe. My tastes have matured and I'm definitely more into sims than arcade games these days, and FM obviously plays (and behaves) like an arcade racer (dancing in a space suit: I rest my case) no matter what simulation is going on behind the scenes.

There's just so much more choice these days, and more appropriate options. It's not like the old 360 days where it was Forza or nothing for your 'sim' racing fix. I'll probably pick it up cheap at some point for the car porn and chase-cam shizzles, but FM isn't aimed at me so I really shouldn't care anymore about it in its present form, but I've still got a lot of affection for the franchise. It's given me a lot of good times in the past. I'm still kind of hoping that an authentic motorsport spin-off will happen at some point (or a similar mode be buried in the menus somewhere) but I really can't see it happening. I think in the unlikely event that VR was patched in then my antenna might twitch but that remains to be seen.

dr_rus

Note about FM7 and RTSS compatibility:
https://forums.guru3d.com/posts/5473888 said:
I've just installed Forza Motorsport 7 demo here and confirmed my guess - it is rather similar multithreaded D3D12 rendering engine like in previous Forza series, which tend to present frames concurrently from multiple threads (during detecting optimal dynamic system settings during loading the game). OSD hooks can cause the game to freeze in this case during loading, so specific RTSS profile for it is absolutely required. So those who experience such issues with this demo can simply copy ForzaMotorsportApex.exe.cfg to ForzaMotorsport7.exe.cfg in RTSS ProfileTemplates subfolder.

I've never been able to get G-sync to work for UWP titles. The G-sync FPS counter remains locked at 144Hz in both Horizons 3 and Forza 7.

Yep, I have G-sync enabled for full screen and windowed/borderless mode in the NVIDIA control panel. Works perfectly for Steam, Blizzard, Origin etc. but for the life of me I must have missed a setting somewhere for UWP titles.

Ironic thing is, I've never noticed any screen tearing in Horizons or Forza. Seems buttery smooth on my 1080ti @ 1440p. Monitor is an XB271HU Predator.

Gsync fps counter on the desktop is shownig the desktop refresh, no? Generally, if you disable vsync and enable gsync for windowed applications you should get it to work in UWP (in the gsync range of course).

Clockwork

Makes sense. They probably intentionally overdarkened that section of the track just so it would pop on HDR screens, but in the process they are screwing over big majority of people who are still using SDR screens, especially PC gamers. I wonder if this is a sneak peak of things to come where people with SDR screens will be severely handicapped because games are being built with HDR in mind and SDR compatibility will be sub-par.

I dunno. I didn't think the tunnel was that bad.

https://youtu.be/CDvshUb5c2s

(My own video...tunnel at 3:58)

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

Gsync fps counter on the desktop is shownig the desktop refresh, no? Generally, if you disable vsync and enable gsync for windowed applications you should get it to work in UWP (in the gsync range of course).

Gsync works perfectly with UWP games (and even before the windowed support as long as the game was in UWP's fullscreen), but it does not work if the game is rendering at another resolution than your screen's native one.

I have the same screen (XB271HU) and if I use another resolution than 1440p (even with resolution scalling), the GSync metter stays at the max refresh rate.
But if the game renders at the native resolution, Gsync works as expected.

But as I have a 1080 Ti, I use higher resolutions or scalling (1440p 200% in FM7, 4K in FH3) so I set my desktop to 120Hz and limit the game to 60 FPS.

dr_rus

NV has released a new 385.69 driver with official FM7 support: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/124420/en-uk (available only on UK site right now; release notes)

Gsync works perfectly with UWP games (and even before the windowed support as long as the game was in UWP's fullscreen), but it does not work if the game is rendering at another resolution than your screen's native one.

I have the same screen (XB271HU) and if I use another resolution than 1440p (even with resolution scalling), the GSync metter stays at the max refresh rate.

But as I have a 1080 Ti, I use higher resolutions or scalling (1440p 200% in FM7, 4K in FH3) so I set my desktop to 120Hz and limit the game to 60 FPS.

Hah, interesting, didn't know that.

Modern TCS work with the ABS so I don't see much reason to offer different degees of this.
I don't understand this. Are you saying that because TCS also needs ABS (but not only), it doesn't make sense to ... ...nope, no idea what you mean.
It makes sense to offer different degrees because some ABS vary in sportiveness and and also tech level. Forza only has one ABS system for all cars. Ideally you'd want one for each, but if it's too much work and guess-work for Turn 10, then give us at least different degrees or sorts of systems.
Either you want the TCS or you don't.
I want the one that car has or something remotely similar, not the one Forza has for all cars.
Unless it's a car that has different mode settings I don't see a reason to bother.
Let's say car A has no mode settings and car B has no mode settings either. You think their TCS "mode" is then automatically the same??

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Thanks guys but I'm definitely running at native res @ 1440p. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get that Gsync counter to budge for UWP games (I had the same issue with Halo too). Vsync is definitely 'unlocked' in the applications. All other non UWP titles work fine so I'm at a loss.

So after messing around with all the suggestions here I at least found that capping via RTSS cured the framepacing issues. At 165Hz I'm at least able to play at a smoothish 82fps by activating 60fps VSync in the in-game menu. “Ish” because there are still those very occasional long hitches.

Disabling virtual cores actually gave me minor framedrops I wasn't getting with all cores activated, and didn't eliminate the hitching.

Disabling Gsync did nothing and running at 60Hz dropped the game down to 30fps with VSync activated in-game. Had to bump refresh rate up to 120Hz to get it to 60.

What I did end up doing though with all my messing around in NVCP was temporarily breaking the framerate lock, and I got the game running at a relatively stable 110fps. At these framerates disabling cores had a very noticeable impact on performance.

I also found that launching the game with an RTSS cap at 60fps results in a crash, so disable it or crank it higher prior to launching then fiddle with it once the race is underway.

At some point I'll get around to actually playing the game with my wheel ;)

While i appreciate the insight of others, i just go with my settings:

• Set the game to run at 60fps with no vsync
  • Add the demo to the nvidia 3d settings profiles, by clicking add and searching in the list of last exes launched, then set Fast Sync on, hit apply.
  • Now launch nvidia inspector profiler, hit the home button arrow by the right side of the drop down menu, you should see an entry for Forza 7 demo (if you try to add the exe directly here, it says it can't due to UWP permissions)
  • Set the framerate to ~61.8, Apply Changes

Doing this i'm totally fine with performance, no need to disable core 0 (or virtual cores) on my i7 6700k.

Gestault

This has played perfectly on PC for me (performance and presentation), and I've now had several hours on the Windows version specifically. I finally did the stress test on Dubai where I left the car on-track until the timer read just short of an hour, then did a few laps to see if any hitching had built up from potential memory leaks. Exactly as smooth as it was at the start. I'm really happy with this.

I'm still not sure about the Porsche handling. I'm to the point where with TCS off, I can make it around the track no problem, but there are still spots where my eyes go huge, thinking "what the heck is this car doing" as it pulls wide like a Chrysler minivan.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
New NVIDIA update out

Game Ready

Provides the optimal gaming experience for Project Cars 2, Call of Duty: WWII open beta, Total War: WARHAMMER II, Forza Motorsport 7, EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone, FIFA 18, Raiders of the Broken Planet, and Star Wars Battlefront 2 open beta.

Game Ready VR
Provides the optimal gaming experience for EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone and From Other Suns open beta.

I don't understand this. Are you saying that because TCS also needs ABS (but not only), it doesn't make sense to ... ...nope, no idea what you mean.
It makes sense to offer different degrees because some ABS vary in sportiveness and and also tech level. Forza only has one ABS system for all cars. Ideally you'd want one for each, but if it's too much work and guess-work for Turn 10, then give us at least different degrees or sorts of systems.

I want the one that car has or something remotely similar, not the one Forza has for all cars.

Let's say car A has no mode settings and car B has no mode settings either. You think their TCS "mode" is then automatically the same??

What I'm saying is that cars come with ABS, or they don't (older cars). They don't allow you to adjust the level of ABS intrusion in modern cars do they? No they do not. You may disagree with the amount of ABS that Forza applies but I don't see the sense in allowing a change to that adjustment when you can adjust the pedal responsiveness in the settings already.

Now, some cars do offer varying degrees of TCS intrusion (that does sometimes use the ABS) so I do see where they could offer that option.

For the record I do agree that they should have a setting for 'as the car came with'.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Besides the random stutters and long loading times, the game runs great for me.

Guessing no 4k textures? Because it's mad how a 970 and an oc'd i5-6600k can run this in 4k with some settings lowered

Fatmanp

We've noticed that some players are experiencing performance stutters with G-Sync and high refresh rate monitors. If you are experiencing this, try disabling G-Sync, setting your monitor refresh rate to 60Hz, and using the V-sync enabled option in game. These performance issues will be fixed in a future update.

I like what I have played but this game is a no buy for me considering the stuttering and hitching issues from Apex, Horizon and now this. Unless of course this future update does fix the problems.

Was alright.

Loved the gameplay except for the final one. It was hard jumping from playing on the Pro to this, especially with either native 4K, checkerboarding, etc..

Really, really excited to get this with my Xbox 1 X, I'm sure its going to not just play great but melt my eyeballs.

JamboGT

The last time I liked Forza's handling was 2, so maybe not globally liked :p

Have to say the steering is so slow, in both simulation and normal, going to have a go on the wheel later this evening.

It does feel more like a mix between Horizon and Motorsport now as well.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
We've noticed that some players are experiencing performance stutters with G-Sync and high refresh rate monitors. If you are experiencing this, try disabling G-Sync, setting your monitor refresh rate to 60Hz, and using the V-sync enabled option in game. These performance issues will be fixed in a future update.

thanks for the tip. Vsync made no difference to the stuttering on menus. It's not really a problem because does not happen in-game, but still will be nice to fix it :)

Top Bottom