• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Issue 208 Scores (NSMB Wii, Ratchet, Forza, GTA, Tekken...)

DeadGzuz said:
So they kept their no 10 to a PS3 game streak alive?

Not only did they give LBP a 10 but they also awarded it with the Game of the Year. Did your tin foil hat cover your eyes when you were typing that?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
OldJadedGamer said:
Not only did they give LBP a 10 but they also awarded it with the Game of the Year. Did you tin foil hat cover your eyes when you were typing that?
Hmmm...maybe. But that is like the token black guy at the Republic National Convention. LBP is the Michael Steele of gaming. Doesn't mean Edge likes it.

I don't understand why some people are acting like NSMBWii is going to definitively be a disappointment now. I'm sure most reviewers will score it higher, and we don't even know Edge's complaints.

Interfectum

hauntedhallows said:
so i guess EDGE ain't cashing as many checks as some other gaming magazines.....

Uncharted 2 - 9
GTA : Episodes From Liberty City - 9
Forza 3 - 9

Who's checks aren't getting cashed, exactly?

People need to stop with the "British dev +1!" bull. It's just sad now. You're really going to whine that - according to Edge - Uncharted 2 was only one of the best games of the year and not one of the 7 best games of the last decade? That seems like something worth quibbling over, and then deciding that it must be because of some obtuse xenophobic twattery, as opposed to a genuine flaw with the game? IT'S A REVIEW!

Read it or don't, pay attention to the score or don't, who cares a damn? What would be more interesting is discussing the opinions of the review - for example, I would like to know what Edge thought of the genre-blending in Brutal Legend, as I really disliked it.
OH NO WAIT TIM SCHAFER +1!!!!!

Scrubking

2d fucking Mario vs. GTA rehashed for the Nth time?

Yeah, GTA is clearly the superior game deserving of 9s and 10s. Will any GTA game get anything less than a 9 ever? (rhetorical question).

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Drinky Crow said:
uncharted 2 is an 8/10 game, anyhow. 9/10 is really generous.

man, i wish we had a better emoticon selection here

So you are playing uncharted 2? That's cool.

Looks like Edge had no one to play NSMB with? Just trying to be controversial?
I'm surprised at the score because their problem with Nintendo games lately seems to be lack of difficulty and almost all previews i've seen of NSMBwii seem to point out how difficult it is compared to the last 500 mario games.

My conclusion: they want attention, and they got it.

How can you have any conclusions when the damn thing isn't out yet?

maybe it's severely lacking in atmosphere and level design as NSMB did

Interfectum

Kusagari said:
You're right. Those are all such terrible games!

Never said they were. The poster I was responding to was insinuating that EDGE was giving real reviews that weren't "bought." Seeing as how all the heavy hitters besides NSMB Wii are getting 9/10's I guess the poster is saying Nintendo buys reviews?

Splatt

Majora said:
Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising - 8 - Should have been lower. 6 or below.
PES 2010 - 7 - Hit. The. Nail. On. The. Head.
Mario and Luigi : Bowsers Inside Story - 9 - Hit. The. Goompa. On. The. Head.
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - 5 - I can see why they gave it such a low score (repetitive and worlds are recycled) but I think it's a fun pick-up-and-play title. It also helps that I'm a KH fan.

My 2 cents.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wow, this is amazing for NSMB. This has to be the lowest scoring big game from Nintendo ever.

Jinaar

BORDERLANDS - 6
-------------------------------------------------
Too low. This is unfortunate, the game is pure ace to myself and group of friends. But then again, the review is nothing but opinion, just like my post is.

*goes back to dreaming of loot.... ohhh x4 fire.... drool...*

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-new-super/57913

Watch that video and try to tell me that NSMBwii looks like a poorly designed game.
I haven't played it yet, but I can't imagine it being disappointing for me.

The level design looks great from what I have seen, the multiplayer aspect is going to add incredible value to the game for me, and to make things even better, besides having an incredibly polished look and amazing art direction in the levels taking major cues from SMW and SM3, most previews state that the game can at times be incredibly difficult!

Of course, I will save judgment for when I actually play it, but I cannot really see myself being disappointed, personally.

Edit: I should mention that if I think i'm going to be disappointed by any aspect of this game, it is most certainly going to be the music. I'm a big fan of VGmusic, and recycling all of the music from the DS title seems very lazy to me and will go quite a way to make the game feel less fresh.

m.i.s.

Banned
ShineALight said:
I don't understand why some people are acting like NSMBWii is going to definitively be a disappointment now. I'm sure most reviewers will score it higher, and we don't even know Edge's complaints.

A 7/10 from Edge is like a 9/10 from other gaming websites. ie definitely nothing to be scoffed at. I guess we expect higher from a nintendo 1st party effort. It is the first console 2d Mario platformer in many a year after all.

Agalloch

So basically NSMB Wii = Metroid Prime 3
<<<<<Halo 3
Now i have to play Mario, i don't know if i have to disagree, Edge ,but at least it seems weird to me.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Now, now people. Let's not get belligerent over these scores just yet. I've learned in the past that you should base a review on what you've actually played and not a developer's pedigree.

M.I.S. said:
A 7/10 from Edge is like a 9/10 from other gaming websites.
I really wish people would cut it out with this stupid meme. There isn't a single gaming website that would give a 9/10 or higher to 75% of the games they review in a given month.

batbeg

M.I.S. said:
A 7/10 from Edge is like a 9/10 from other gaming websites. ie definitely nothing to be scoffed at. I guess we expect higher from a nintendo 1st party effort. It is the first console 2d Mario platformer in many a year after all.

This myth needs to stop, though. Seriously. If NSMB Wii is a 7/10 which is equal to a 9/10, does that make Uncharted an 11/10?

EDGE are no longer particularly hard on games as they once were; a 7/10 from them is worth a 7/10. Whether or not you'll agree with that score is irrelevant; that's what they gave it. Not a 9/10. Not the equivalent of a 9/10. Just. 7.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
RichardAM said:
LittleBigPlanet says otherwise?

They gave LittleBigPlanet a 10????

Credibility = out the window

tass0

Banned
I really don't agree with Edge's scores

They gave MGS4 an 8, and Halo 3 a 10/10? Halo 3 is perfection? I really don't see how that happens... MGS4 was one of the best games I have ever played for this console generation (Uncharted 2 took number one...), I liked Halo 3, but no way does it deserve a fucking 10.

*waits for a nerd to say "Oh, it's just their opinion!"*

Kosma

Banned
tass0 said:

They gave MGS4 an 8, and Halo 3 a 10/10? Halo 3 is perfection? I really don't see how that happens... MGS4 was one of the best games I have ever played for this console generation (Uncharted 2 took number one...), I liked Halo 3, but no way does it deserve a fucking 10.

Kanye is that you?

tass0 said:

hmmmm

Novella

Banned
Harsh? They gave five nines.

7 for NSMB Wii is practically a recommendation on their scale; that is, unless you play only a few games a year. It's three rungs below their highest recommendation.

6 for Borderlands doesn't surprise me.

Games that good marketing gets you to masturbate to don't start at 10 and get docked points. I think we get fooled way more than we'd like to admit, especially when games have a lot of money behind them.

batbeg

tass0 said:
Hmmm what? Did you even play Uncharted 2? It's fucking amazing, if you don't trust me, just look at the fucking review scores.

...you just ranted about a major publications review scores being untrustworthy.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Drinky Crow said:
beat it on normal. gonna man up and try hard, here. crushing is clearly outside the reach of my atrophied third-person shooting skillz.

Trying hard mode myself. Anyways, good scores, maybe the borderlands one is a bit on the low side, but havent play the game yet.

m.i.s.

Banned
batbeg said:
This myth needs to stop, though. Seriously. If NSMB Wii is a 7/10 which is equal to a 9/10, does that make Uncharted an 11/10?

EDGE are no longer particularly hard on games as they once were; a 7/10 from them is worth a 7/10. Whether or not you'll agree with that score is irrelevant; that's what they gave it. Not a 9/10. Not the equivalent of a 9/10. Just. 7.

Thanks. I think I like Kosma's "explanation" better. :lol

I'm not in any way trying to justify a 7/10 as anything but. I've not played the game and so can't make an assessment on whether I agree with the score or not. Just to say that, going on past record, other sites do award higher scores (which I don't agree with).

I, for instance, actually agreed with Edges Mario Kart Wii [scored 6 /10] assessment. The chief complaint being that Nintendo turned it into a party game.

sonicmj1

tass0 said:

It's almost as if someone didn't post an entire interview with Edge's EIC about their review scoring policy earlier in this thread.

Oh, wait, they did.

tass0 said:
Hmmm what? Did you even play Uncharted 2? It's fucking amazing, if you don't trust me, just look at the fucking review scores.

Well in my book the game is a 10. It's not the sum of it's parts but the whole experience that is unlike anything I've played and tons of fun. Just with the voice acting and dialogue alone it deserves a 10.

Also, I'm tired of uncreative reviewers still bringing up Tomb Raider and Gears in their reviews. Let it go. This game has separated itself so much from those games that the comparisons are stupid. It uses a tps cover system, plenty of other games do too. It's like saying in a review for MW2, well it uses the Doom fps mechanic and...

(I'm not complaining that it didn't get a 10 from Edge)

tass0

Banned
batbeg said:
...you just ranted about a major publications review scores being untrustworthy.

Like fuck that means I agree with EDGE's scores.

If H3 is a 10, then how the fuck can UC2 be a 9? How does one of the best games this gen just get a 9, a 9 is not something special today, it's all this motherfucking corruption that is killing this fucking shit, man.

RageGuy.jpg

Top Bottom