• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ordering Cheap Stuff From China |OT| (Alibaba, Fasttech, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE:
Got my mini quadcopter and my headphone stand.
5S0P99f.jpg
The quadcopter flies and the charge lasts a pretty decent time. (More than I expected for $10.) I'm still learning how to use it, though. It's pretty fun if you want one to just mess around with.
The headphone stand is made of aluminum except for the actual band holder which is soft rubber.
The stand is well built, but the part where the main pole connects to the base is a bit sharp, so maybe cover the joint with electrical tape if you want one.
Aside from that, it's a great stand. Really sturdy.

UPDATE:
Got my mini quadcopter and my headphone stand.

The quadcopter flies and the charge lasts a pretty decent time. (More than I expected for $10.) I'm still learning how to use it, though. It's pretty fun if you want one to just mess around with.

The headphone stand is made of aluminum except for the actual band holder which is soft rubber.
The stand is well built, but the part where the main pole connects to the base is a bit sharp, so maybe cover the joint with electrical tape if you want one.
Aside from that, it's a great stand. Really sturdy.

That stand looks nice! Would you mind sharing the link to the item?

RS4-

Waiting for my Note 3 Pro to show up. Will update in a few days when it's here.

220 cad is better than 600+ for a 6p or OP3, etc.

Still have to buy a dash cam. So I might just get the Xiaomi one, possibly the action cam too. Brother has a gopro, support for it has been pure shit.

Same as an earlier poster I order e-cig stuff off of Fasttech. Laughably cheaper than what I can find at B&M's local. Just don't expect to see it anytime soon. Every package is like a surprise when it arrives since its basically forgotten by that point.

ElFly

OcYl7nb.jpg

who the fuck names their rechargeable battery brand "ultrafire"

that is the less confidence inspiring name

Might as well mention in here that I own a Elephone P900, which I grabbed off of Gearbest a month or two back for about £160. Absolutely amazing phone. :)

You can get some amazing deals from AliExpress and the like. But definitely operate on buyer beware principles.

Funny to see this thread pop up now because I discovered Aliexpress a few days ago.
Actually thought it was scam site.
Those shipping costs blow the mind.

MUnited83

For you.
I bought a Redmi Note 3 Pro from Banggood. Arrived in the time provided, and they've complied with my request to mark the thing as a gift just fine. My only issue with them was that they took a bit too long to ship (4/5 days when the site says it ships in 24 hours. Contacted support and they said they were "out of stock". Well, if they were, they should've marked it as such in the product page, but whatever)

There is no buy button and it's not going through Aliexpress's purchase platform, obviously its not protected by Alibaba.

Same apply for purchase on ebay if you deal with the seller privately.

edit: wait that link its not even on aliexpress.

Zatoth

OcYl7nb.jpg

who the fuck names their rechargeable battery brand "ultrafire"

that is the less confidence inspiring name

Guess we know where Samsung got their batteries.

There is no buy button and it's not going through Aliexpress's purchase platform, obviously its not protected by Alibaba.

Same apply for purchase on ebay if you deal with the seller privately.

edit: wait that link its not even on aliexpress.

Seems to a seller on Alibaba. Don't think you can buy only one unit there.

Not sure if it's been posted here but a lot of people seem to be pretty excited with the Wish App. Not sure if anyone has used it yet. I want to try it but hear things never get delivered.

Im thinking of starting my own headphones company by seeking rebranded products i get off of alibaba. Anyone else doing something like this?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ive used AliExpress a number of times. Often good prices on small electronic stuff like LED lights and strips, some gardening things like sprinklers and whatnot.

ryan299

I bought a Redmi Note 3 Pro from Banggood. Arrived in the time provided, and they've complied with my request to mark the thing as a gift just fine. My only issue with them was that they took a bit too long to ship (4/5 days when the site says it ships in 24 hours. Contacted support and they said they were "out of stock". Well, if they were, they should've marked it as such in the product page, but whatever)

Did you have to pay a duty on that? Trying to figure out how much one would be on a computer.

For people who are into picking up cheap stuff from China, the Chinese "Black Friday" is coming.

It's "11.11" as in "Single nerds holiday." Aliexpress had some pretty decent deals last year, I picked up a core M laptop and a smart watch. The "Smart watch" was shit so I promptly return it.

They have the deal preview on Aliexpress now, I see both Xiaomi and Meizu phones have deals on most of the models. If you want a China phone, this is the time to get it.

I might pick up a Redmi even though I absolutely do not need another phone.

Xiao also has sales on home camera. I also see dual boot Teclast tablets on sale.

Skux

Been looking to do a "pimp my setup" and get some LED strips and cable tie mounts. The prices on Aliexpress look great compared to the ridiculous retailer markups they put on cheap accessories here in New Zealand. I guess the only thing I have to worry about is getting a power adapter.

How do they get away with free shipping on almost everything?

M3d10n

I got some money on a US bank account I'd like to spend on some online purchases. Problem is, I only have a debit card and I'm wary of using it online. PayPal is not an option because they require an US account accessed from an US IP address to accept my US debit card. Does anyone have any prepaid online card recommendations?

I've been wanting to order a knockoff Leafs jersey for cheap from China, but don't know where to look or anything.

That interest has died down a bit, though, because I recently got a last year's one from Reebok for $40-something CAD and don't know if a Chinese site would be cheaper. It's authentic, though, so I'm a bit wary to wear it everywhere. (I wouldn't care about getting a fake ratty.)

I placed an order five days ago and checked on it's progress today, but the shop has gone, no reply from the owner or Aliexpress, all I've got is this in My Orders:

untitled-183swm.jpg

Is it game over or will I still get what I ordered?

Pickman

Ali Express is great if you're a mineral collector. I got a gorgeous 3 inch labradorite sphere with a lot of labradorescence for less than 20$ usd.

BUMP!

Any more feedback and/or reviews from those of you who ordered stuff from these sites?

Still working? Random flames emitting from the rotors of your drone?

Drazgul

Does that coupon need to be used on a single item? Any orders valued over 22€ get hit with VAT now if ordered from outside the EU, but obv. this wouldn't be an issue with smaller items.

I buy regularly from Taobao and they also side with the buyer.

I had a triple crossfire mainboard that died on me and I ordered one from Taobao at a good price. It's still working fine after 3.5 years.

I also bought an Olympus 25mm f1.8 micro 4/3 lens that was retailing locally for 450USD for literally half price on Taobao. It came in its original box and included a warranty.

The mainboard works as advertised and the lens takes remarkably sharp photos. You can't really fake these types of items.

A lot of products sold in the US are OEM/ODM, so if you do your online sleuthing, you can find out the original name of the OEM/ODM product and buy it for literally a fraction of the price. I sourced the same boom mic that sold in the US under varying brands and retailed for around 110USD on Amazon for only 34USD on Taobao.

Damaniel

Banned
I've made a few purchases from Aliexpress over the last couple years, mainly out of curiosity:

• Cross stitch floss - a full set of DMC floss runs around $150-$180 depending on whether there's a sale at Michaels/JoAnn or not. Aliexpress sells DMC knockoffs for as low as $35 for a full set (~480 colors). I did some stitching experiments and posted the results to Reddit a while back - the color matching was extremely good (indistinguishable from the real thing) and all the colors I tested were colorfast, but the real deal has a slight glossy sheen to it that the knockoffs didn't. I probably wouldn't use it myself for real projects, but it's pretty legit for most people's needs.
  • Buckyballs - well, round neodymium magnets. I 3D printed a Settlers of Catan board, and the pieces are designed to put small magnets in the bottom so that they'll snap together when assembled. These came exactly as described and worked perfectly for the purpose
  • A fidget cube - I wanted to try a knockoff to compare to the official one that I kickstarted. It was roughly the same size and had more or less the same features, but the execution in the real one was far, far better (better fit and finish, more tactile buttons)
I've wanted to try buying some knockoff games (like one of those 100+ in 1 NES carts or a GB Boy Color) but haven't gotten around to it yet. Unfortunately, some of the sellers are making repros of rare SNES games that look pretty legit at a casual glance, but in person I bet they're easy to spot. I'm glad I'm out of the 8/16-bit collecting game - I'd be afraid to buy any game from an online source out of concern that the seller is just reselling Aliexpress knockoffs.

v1lla21

I saw this thread earlier and decided to bookmark it so I could check the sites out. After a while browsing, I started to look at cheap watches since I need one for work and came across this review on one of the watches.

Russian Reviewer said:
In the description says .. there is a back light .... it is not .. not Zadie no front... (it is four stars) everything else works. hranograf date. .. do not look bad... karobochka... magnet .. certificate .. the leather strap... for 1300 with a bang! I recommend came by the way .. fast! ATP. Chinese brothers. forward to communism winning!

lol. anyways, there seems to be some good stuff on these sites whenever you need something cheap for a project. They even got those good, cheap action cams as well.

shaowebb

I used Ali express before.
I got a bitchin pandoras box 4s loaded dual arcade stick with a switch to run it on ps3/360. I opened it up to check it out and daaaaaaaaaaaayumn was that some slick wiring. Color coded, banded, lil zipties everywhere. It was like...the sexiest stick anatomy I'd ever seen. Just fucking quality. All the parts were good, whole thing was fucking METAL and it is super responsive.

Oh and did I mention the packing? Its fucking secure. It was in a box completely wrapped in packing tape with its guts wrapped in layers of custom cut foam and tape. Super impressed by all of it. Been rocking this thing for months now.

I'll definitely shop for arcade and electronics from that site again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom