• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
are there different Gear S2 models? Which one do you get for upgrading with Verizon?

it looks like I can still do a 2-year contract upgrade with Verizon and get the S7 Edge for $299.

The Gear S2 looks like it's also $299 retail, so I could potentially sell it for a decent amount and pay off the upgrade charge?

There are different models. It'll be the base one we get with the S7 edge. The Bluetooth one, not the 3G/LTE one. $299 retail like you said.

Wreav

Banned
edit: looks like you only get the free Gear S2 or VR if you do a device payment plan thing. I could still trade in my iPhone 5S for $200 though it looks like towards the price of the S7.

Yep, you're correct, I got nothing for an S7 Edge preorder on 2yr.

Yeah, it says as much on the Verizon website.

I did device payments, because I just shaved $55 off my monthly bill, so I can easily manage $33 more. I'm still saving $20 a month on what I used to pay.

Futureman

looking at this page, it seems like you should still be able to get the Gear VR for free?
https://promos.samsungpromotions.com/gearvr/en-us/Enter

The fine print at the bottom says 2-year contracts are eligible

If I did the 2-year upgrade and got the Gear VR and sold it for ~$80 or so and traded in my iPhone 5S for $199, that would put me around $280, so I'd only have to pay $300 + $40 upgrade fee - $280 = ~$60 for the S7 Edge.

Sanjuro

Can someone with a S6 answer the question about not using the edge as a shortcut menu. Can you just use it normally without it?

Also, black or silver? Black just looks hot as fuck.

diaspora

Can someone with a S6 answer the question about not using the edge as a shortcut menu. Can you just use it normally without it?

I have a regular S6 and I could not give less of a shit about the shortcut menu.

BFIB

You can remove all of the Edge features if you wish. EDIT; and yes, from viewing from the front, you can see the screen edge to edge (no pun intended). Excellent phone, I really like my S6 Edge.

BFIB

Have you run into issues in an app where it takes up space needed for a flat surface? Say, a d-pad in game or a particular button?

Just curious.

Nope, never ran into any issues with functionality. Its hard to describe without actually using the device, but it has never impacted anything I use on a regular basis, including games.

Trouble

Banned
If I do an upgrade with T-Mobile do I get the VR goodies?

Edit: Reading the offer details it looks like I will. Going through the upgrade process never mentions any of it, though.

ParityBit

Are you under an actual 2 year contract or paying off the phone through monthly payments?

If it's an actual 2 year contract, Verizon will sometimes let people upgrade early and sometimes with stipulations (must trade in current phone was one I saw before). If it's monthly payments, you may have to pay off remaining balance due to upgrade.

tl;dr It's best to call

Thanks! I will call. I am under contract so this whole "buy your phone outright" thing is new to me.

Futureman

Edge looks so cool but not sure if it's worth $100 more and I don't know if 5.5" is too big for me. Are these on display anywhere yet so I could hold both in my hand?

Futureman

ha Wreav... just chatting w/ Verizon now...

Jordan: Thanks for waiting. I've been looking, and everything I'm seeing shows that to do the promotion and get the VR headset, you need the device payment agreement, but for the Gear S2 a two year agreement is not required. The wording is a little ambiguous there, but I'm not thinking you need to do an agreement to get the S2 from what I'm reading there.

if this is true, I could sell the S2 for ~$250 or so, get ~$200 for trading in my iPhone and get the $300 Edge + $40 upgrade fee.... So I would end up with an extra $110.

Sanjuro

Nope, never ran into any issues with functionality. Its hard to describe without actually using the device, but it has never impacted anything I use on a regular basis, including games.

Awesome thanks. Sounds like I may go ahead. If you are bullshit in me, I know where to find you!

Wreav

Banned
Some users don't like apps refreshing (e.g. forgetting previous positions in websites) after opening a certain number of apps.

9 apps, or whatever she was seeing, is PLENTY for multitasking. Honestly 5 would be fine. The putrid S6 could barely manage 3.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So one warning I'll give, as a current S6 Edge owner, to potential new S7 Edge owners is that sometimes typing is terribad when you're using the phone without a case. I'm not sure if they fixed that with the S7, but for me a case was an absolute necessity(and I hate cases).

nib95

Banned
Some users don't like apps refreshing (e.g. forgetting previous positions in websites) after opening a certain number of apps.

When the app reloads it goes straight to the originally left position, eg whatever point of that site or article they were last reading. It's little more than a 1 or 2 second nuisance, and only when you're running lots of apps. Bare in mind, these apps, including the games, are loading at 2560 x 1440 resolution, so it's pushing a hell of a lot of pixels.

Sanjuro

So one warning I'll give, as a current S6 Edge owner, to potential new S7 Edge owners is that sometimes typing is terribad when you're using a phone without a case. I'm not sure if they fixed that with the S7, but for me a case was an absolute necessity(and I hate cases).

I was thinking of a matte case. Maybe Spigen? I like having a bit of texture. Have sweaty hands, so touch screens are already not in my favor.

clav

When the app reloads it goes straight to the originally left position, eg whatever point of that site or article they were last reading. It's little more than a 1 or 2 second nuisance, and only when you're running lots of apps. Bare in mind, these apps, including the games, are loading at 2560 x 1440 resolution, so it's pushing a hell of a lot of pixels.

I remember games on other devices running at the same resolution didn't have RAM management that was as aggressive as Samsung's.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I was thinking of a matte case. Maybe Spigen? I like having a bit of texture. Have sweaty hands, so touch screens are already not in my favor.

Any case that adds a bit of distance from your palms to the screen should be ok.

nib95

Banned
I remember games on other devices running at the same resolution didn't have RAM management that was as aggressive as Samsung's.

Wouldn't surprise me as Samsung devices tend to have to accommodate for more potential background tasks and features like split screen multitasking, direct call, smart alert etc.

Good overview of the S7 camera controls:
https://youtu.be/WWgGz-eba_Y

Damn, pretty feature rich with a fairly substantial slew of manual control.

Sanjuro

Do any Galaxy vets happen to have an idea how much/ how quickly the price of the s6 will drop once the s7 comes out?

I got my S5 for under $100 at launch. Didn't see anything significant until fall from that point. I don't think there is a clear pattern.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
How is split screen working nowadays on these devices? This is EASILY my most wished-for feature on iOS. Unfortunately, when the S6 first came out, the functionality was REALLY buggy from what I used. Are things more reliable and fast nowadays?

reKon

Banned
I'm thinking of dropping my Xperia Z3c and picking up the edge. Looks sexy and my Z3 is starting to feel kind of slow.

My Z3C has never been slow. Factory reset your phone and don't use apps like Facebook if you are...

I've already preordered my phone and I need to decide whether to sell my Z3C or have it as my new backup phone...

nib95

Banned
It's weird to me just how much smaller in overall size the S7 Edge is compared to the iPhone 6S Plus, despite having the same size screen.

Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-vs-Apple-iPhone-6s-Plus.jpg

galaxy-s7-iphone-4-fixed.jpg

galaxy-s7-iphone-2-fixed.jpg

galaxy-s7-iphone-5-fixed.jpg

galaxy-s7-iphone-6-fixed.jpg

Samsung-Galaxy-S7-Edge-vs-iPhone-6S-Plus-15.jpg

How is split screen working nowadays on these devices? This is EASILY my most wished-for feature on iOS. Unfortunately, when the S6 first came out, the functionality was REALLY buggy from what I used. Are things more reliable and fast nowadays?

Much. I use it all the time. Used it during E3, during numerous political debates, launches, shows etc.Just have YT up on the top, shrunk down so you can only see the video itself, and Chrome at the bottom so I can browse or post on GAF. Alternatively, if a video is on a website instead of YT, just have Safari and Chrome open at the same time still split screen, one for the video, the other for browsing. Again, you can size it so only the video from one or the other browser is visible.

Wreav

Banned
It's weird to me just how much smaller in overall size the S7 Edge is compared to the iPhone 6S Plus, despite having the same size screen.

Cool, this is the comparison I've been wanting to see, since this will be my transition. Love the screen of the 6s+, but hate the body size.

Futureman

I have a Verizon upgrade in June but for some reason they are letting me upgrade now with a 2-year contract online.

anyone know if I can preorder through Target and use that early upgrade for the 2-year contract?

Sanjuro

I have a Verizon upgrade in June but for some reason they are letting me upgrade now with a 2-year contract online.

anyone know if I can preorder through Target and use that early upgrade for the 2-year contract?

Most places let you within 3 months.

Much. I use it all the time. Used it during E3, during numerous political debates, launches, shows etc.Just have YT up on the top, shrunk down so you can only see the video itself, and Chrome at the bottom so I can browse or post on GAF. Alternatively, if a video is on a website instead of YT, just have Safari and Chrome open at the same time still split screen, one for the video, the other for browsing. Again, you can size it so only the video from one or the other browser is visible.

Pretty crazy when you realize the normal S7 has more battery capacity than the 6S+

reKon

Banned

OnePlus 2 lost too.

Pretty crazy when you realize the normal S7 has more battery capacity than the 6S+

Slightly thicker device... Samsung coming to their senses...

Now if Apple were to regarding battery life.

It's those damn ridiculous bezels on the Iphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom