• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The AV Club's site has been redesigned and I don't like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

I liked this site for reviews, the comment section, and the occasional snarky news post. And now it's transitioned to a Kinja-based dumpster fire. They already killed Deadspin for me, they have to do this, too? This plain whitespace infinite scroll trash is such a pain to navigate now, and forget about the comments. Damn you, Kinja.

Blader

You scared me for a second, I thought they shut down or something

But now I see it's just that they have a new website and it looks shitty

Lunaray

Wow, I thought the old site was a cluttered mess, but this new site has actually made it more difficult for me to find what I want.

If the writers haven't left, and it's just an aesthetic change, I don't see the issue. After all, you go there for the articles, right?

Finding a list of their recent TV reviews seems impossible in this design. Finding a list of the most recent film reviews seems impossible in this design.

Frankly, the thread title doesn’t seem like hyperbole.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
If the writers haven't left, and it's just an aesthetic change, I don't see the issue. After all, you go there for the articles, right?
Didn't a lot of the best AV Club writers leave a while back?

kaskade

Finding a list of their recent TV reviews seems impossible in this design. Finding a list of the most recent film reviews seems impossible in this design.

Frankly, the thread title doesn’t seem like hyperbole.

Yeah, I don’t get that move. I loved being able to go to a specific section and see all the reviews.

Poppy

honestly the AVC has been going down the shitter for a while, its mostly garbage clickbait articles with no fuckin content anymore

they still have sean o'neal and ignatiy vishnevetsky, plus the history of violence feature has been strong. and i love the commentariat. but other than that its kinda poop

It seems like Kinja is a really bad fit for a site as organizational-heavy as AV Club and they didn't put enough work on top of it to make it work.

I'm a fan of Kinja on Splinter, Giz, Kotaku ete, but not feeling it at all here

Fuchsdh

It'll be interesting to see what happens. The comments section of AVClub was, with only a few exceptions (the CancerAIDS first post meme) one of the most illuminating I've been on. In recent weeks everyone's been predicting a Kinjapocalypse. We'll see if it happens.

(I appreciate the lighter design with the new version, but infinite scrolling stuff is and always will suck.)

Enh, they've been hemorrhaging writers and cutting back on content for awhile now. I'd say that the new design sucks, but it's not like the old one was that much better either. A few years ago I'd have been sad to see them go this route, but...well, that was a few years ago.

iammeiam

I was just on there earlier today and everything seemed fine; they'd even recently brought back some of the classic series they'd never finished reviewing, and the site as a whole seemed like it was in a good spot. So the thread confused me.

Then this thread and I go revisit it and just... why. If there's not a secret backdoor non-shitty interface, it's going to be hard to feel motivated to go back and pick through that looking for the content I wanted.

TVexperto

avclub has been dead for a long time, from firing many good reviewers, to barely having any good reviews at all and wtf is up with their change to the whats on tonight, they dont even show most of the good shows anymore

Aiii

So not worth it
Ad-blockers have another victim on their long list.

Certainly should not blame bad ad placement, obnoxious ads, relentless tracking practices by unknown parties and the main source of trojans and other assorted malware or anything.

Bad internet users, bad!

Hopefully this is a change I'll get used to, but as it stands I have no idea how to find specific content on the site. Kinja / blog format makes no sense for a site like avclub.

giphy.gif

I liked this site for reviews, the comment section, and the occasional snarky news post. And now it's transitioned to a Kinja-based dumpster fire. They already killed Deadspin for me, they have to do this, too? This plain whitespace infinite scroll trash is such a pain to navigate now, and forget about the comments. Damn you, Kinja.
Yeah, I'm kind of done with it. The old layout was so good, Kinja is just a piece of shit.

Are there any good alternatives?

I've been posting on The AV Club for two years & the transition to the Kinja looks-wise is an absolute disaster. I haven't even bothered with the system yet, but it looks so wrong & it's hard to post now. The hell!

Sorry if the thread title is a bit melodramatic, but this redesign is so bad. You click on the reviews and the layout is nonsense, it doesn't even show the grade. You go to movie reviews and you have 3 recent films and then it goes all the way back to 2005.

Try looking for their reviews of The Sopranos now. You can't even type The Sopranos into the search bar, it'll just give you a long unorganized list of all their articles related in any way to The Sopranos.

You can't even narrow it down to TV Reviews when you click on Reviews section and they have a "helpful" dropdown. The only way is to click through their TV Club section, find one of the reviews, then click on the "TV Reviews" category it's a part of, and then scroll through a dropdown list of every single TV show they've ever covered.

Seeing this argument, I suddenly wonder how Playboy is doing. Damn you, millennials, damn you all to heeeeeeeeeeell.

The very few times I clicked on an AV link I did think the site was surprisingly clean for a review site. I mean, monetizing reviews is a poor man's business, and there's waaay too much competition for any site to remain clean and decent in this day and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom