• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
tokugaf2016.gif

Image created by WillyFive

SCROLLS FROM OUR ANCESTORS: TokuGAF 2016 | TokuGAF 2015 | ToQGAF 2014 | TokuGAF 2013 | TokuGAF 2012 | Henshin 2009-2011 | Super Sentai 2009

What is Toku?
Short for Tokusatsu, it's Japanese for "special filming", referring to a live-action series or movies with extensive special effects. Superheroes, giant monsters, guys in rubber suits, miniatures, all that good stuff.
The term usually refers to Japanese productions like Super Sentai (and its ongoing American counterpart Power Rangers), Kamen Rider, Ultraman, Godzilla, Gamera, and many others. Though the term can also be applied to Western shows like Doctor Who and The Flash.

What's coming this year?

Uchu Sentai Kyuranger

latest

Earth has been taken over by invaders. With the universe under their thrall, the tears of the people awaken the nine ultimate saviors, chosen by the KyuTama, and they are here for the galaxy's salvation. Nine different people with strong personas. The most powerful warriors arrive here and now.

This is a momentous year for Super Sentai, being the first team to start with 9 members instead of the usual 3 or 5.

Where to Watch?
Premieres February 12th at 7:30 AM on TV Asashi
Fansubs provided by Over-Time

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid

latest

People are under attack by the Bugster virus, giving them the Gaming Sickness which in turn produces Bugster monsters. Doctor-in-training Emu Hojo, also known as Genius Gamer M, must put his skills to the test as Kamen Rider Ex-Aid and take out the virus.

Where to Watch?
Airs at 8:00 AM on TV Asashi
Fansubs provided by RTA and Excite!

Kamen Rider Amazons

latest

The world is filled with carnivorous monsters known as Amazonz, created by the Nozama Pharmacy. In an effort to take them out discreetly, Nozama sends out an extermination squad that deals with them. When things start getting tougher, the CEO's son Haruka Mizusawa dives into his Amazon instincts and becomes Kamen Rider Amazon Omega. He's not alone as he also has to contend with former researcher Jin Takayama and his ability to become Kamen Rider Amazon Alpha. It's eat or be eaten.

Much darker and gorier than standard Kamen Rider fare, though with a lot in common with early Heisei like Kuuga and Ryuki.

Where to Watch?
Season 2 is coming this year to Japanese Amazon Prime.
Amazon has announced plans to release the series with subtitles on worldwide Amazon Prime but no date has been given. Until then, Season 1 has been fansubbed by Over-Time.

Power Rangers Ninja Steel

power-rangers-ninja-steel.jpg

(it was surprisingly tough to find a picture that wasn't a spoiler or the old Yellow Ranger)

10 years ago, a meteorite fell to earth and was found by the very non-Japanese Ninja Dane Romero. He crafted and forged into ninja steel, a powerful substance. When the alien Galvanax appears, Dane (seemingly) dies and in his place is the Ninja Nexus Prism, containing the six Ninja Power Stars. Galvanax kidnaps Dane's son Brody and keeps him on his ship. In the present, Brody escapes with the Prism and along with four others, take out the Power Stars and become the Ninja Steel Power Rangers. Now they must contend with Galvanax and his game show.

Where to Watch?
Saturdays at 12 (11 Central) on Nickelodeon, later on Nick.com.

Power Rangers (2017)

power_rangers_ver21.jpg

In the town of Angel Grove, five troubled teens have their lives changed upon finding a buried spaceship and end up as superheroes. Now as the Power Rangers, they must stop the evil Rita Repulsa from conquering the world.

Featuring excellent actors like Elizabeth Banks as Rita, Bryan Cranston as Zordon, and Bill Hader as Alpha 5.

A reboot of the original show with a big budget.

Where to Watch?
In theaters March 24th.

Any older stuff to recommend?

Shout Factory and Crunchyroll have various Ultraman series on stream.
Shout Factory has also been consistently releasing Super Sentai DVDs. You can purchase Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger, Gosei Sentai Dairanger, Ninja Sentai Kakuranger, and Chouriki Sentai Ohranger. Gekisou Sentai Carranger is coming April 25th.

As for stuff without official releases.

Super Sentai
Chojin Sentai Jetman
Denji Sentai Megaranger
Mirai Sentai Timeranger
Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger
Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger
Mahou Sentai Magiranger
Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger
Samurai Sentai Shinkenger
Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Dobotsu Sentai Zyuohger

Kamen Rider
Kamen Rider Black
Kamen Rider Kuuga
Kamen Rider Agito
Kamen Rider Ryuki
Kamen Rider Blade
Kamen Rider Kabuto
Kamen Rider Den-O
Kamen Rider W (Double)
Kamen Rider Fourze
Kamen Rider Gaim
Kamen Rider Drive
Kamen Rider Ex-Aid (though still going, it's that good)

Remember that the quality of fansubs fluctuates. Avoid TV-Nihon if possible.

Wall of Shame

fz2PrO3.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've actually started watching The Flash---there's definitely differences between it and Tokusatsu but some of the plot beats feel ripped straight out of Toku. Like how the bad guy of the week will have the hero on the ropes before suddenly walking off for no good reason---and on the other end the villains being able to escape from Flash without him even attempting to chase after them, even though he could.

Tiu Neo

Yo, new thread!

This with Amazons and Ex-Aid, plus Kyuranger apparently bringing a lot of new things to the table, this could be a great year for Toku.

gforguava

Can't wait for Amazons, the first season was excellent. And against all rhyme or reason I'm kind looking forward to the Power Rangers flick.

delSai

Yay new thread! I didn't think i posted that much in the last thread... huh.

Super hyped for Amazons S2 and Kyuranger, which will be my first Sentai.

Tiu Neo

...I already miss Yamato. Well, at least Lucky's actor isn't as bad as Takaharu's? But the character looks as bad as him. Let's hope it's not red-centric or that he gets better.

The other characters look... ok to fun? I like the suits, yellow looks ok, Hammy, I dunno, she had some fun moments, other moments where the actress didn't seem too comfortable acting? Also, can't unlisten Blue as Zoro.

The villains gave a good first impression. Main enemy is kinda-Palpatine? Not sure yet. Wish they are good.

Well, I guess I'll wait for the subs to judge better, lol.

Oh, they are either investing a lot in this, or they used all their budget on the first episode's effects. If they can keep the effects anywhere near this, I'm impressed. Well, good to see they at least have real models for the individual mecha, and the main mecha uses more practical effects than CG, at least from what I looked at, since the stream was hanging a lot at this part.

I liked it. Lucky was the weakest point, but all the rest gave me a good first impression.

Slayven

...I already miss Yamato. Well, at least Lucky's actor isn't as bad as Takaharu's? But the character looks as bad as him. Let's hope it's not red-centric or that he gets better.

The other characters look... ok to fun? I like the suits, yellow looks ok, Hammy, I dunno, she had some fun moments, other moments where the actress didn't seem too comfortable acting? Also, can't unlisten Blue as Zoro.

The villains gave a good first impression. Main enemy is kinda-Palpatine? Not sure yet. Wish they are good.

Well, I guess I'll wait for the subs to judge better, lol.

Oh, they are either investing a lot in this, or they used all their budget on the first episode's effects. If they can keep the effects anywhere near this, I'm impressed. Well, good to see they at least have real models for the individual mecha, and the main mecha uses more practical effects than CG, at least from what I looked at, since the stream was hanging a lot at this part.

I liked it. Lucky was the weakest point, but all the rest gave me a good first impression.
The mech finisher was the best in years.

WillyFive

Kyuranger 1

That was absurd. Felt like Dekranger but without the detective serial aspects, all the way to bringing back a new Ban Ban and Doggie. Music is weak so far, but I like the sound effects. The morphing sequence is pretty much Star Wars' Hyperspace effect mixed with Fourze/Changeman style constellations. Once again, they decided to cram all the toys into the first episode, which was annoying; and because Red is the star he got the flashiest entry, while the actual climax of the episode revolved around Blue transforming, and all he got was the one the other team members got; once again plot shafted to due contracts.

My favorite part? It all took place entirely in space.

Tiu Neo

Kyuranger 1

That was absurd. Felt like Dekranger but without the detective serial aspects, all the way to bringing back a new Ban Ban and Doggie. Music is weak so far, but I like the sound effects. The morphing sequence is pretty much Star Wars' Hyperspace effect mixed with Fourze/Changeman style constellations. Once again, they decided to cram all the toys into the first episode, which was annoying; and because Red is the star he got the flashiest entry, while the actual climax of the episode revolved around Blue transforming, and all he got was the one the other team members got; once again plot shafted to due contracts.

My favorite part? It all took place entirely in space.

Yep. Well, those first few episodes will be pretty much them meeting the new members and so on, at least they didn't cram ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING now. We'll have at least a couple more episodes for that, lol.

They shot meteors at the monster then cracked the planet open for it fall into it.

Whoa, this sounds cool. I think I'll download the RAW to see that part and some others I missed.

Tiu Neo

Oh, the opening is already on youtube. This was one of the things that skipped a lot for me, so I could only see it now, lol. I like it, and it'll probably evolve as the series go.

WarRock

This will be a good year for toku. Amazons!
(BatDan, you missed a "|" between the TokuGAF 2016 and the TokuGAF 2015 links in the OP)

I've actually started watching The Flash---there's definitely differences between it and Tokusatsu but some of the plot beats feel ripped straight out of Toku. Like how the bad guy of the week will have the hero on the ropes before suddenly walking off for no good reason---and on the other end the villains being able to escape from Flash without him even attempting to chase after them, even though he could.
I watched up until the half of season 2 (then I kinda forgot to keep up with it, ops) and yeah, I kept seeing complaints online about stuff I was already used to.

WillyFive

I watched up until the half of season 2 (then I kinda forgot to keep up with it, ops) and yeah, I kept seeing complaints online about stuff I was already used to.

To be fair, in Sentai, the heroes usually straight up murder the villains every week.

Toad.T

Banned
Shout Factory has also been consistently releasing Super Sentai DVDs. You can purchase Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger, Gosei Sentai Dairanger, Ninja Sentai Kakuranger, and Chouriki Sentai Ohranger. Gekisou Sentai Carranger is coming April 25th.

So HMV's closing down and with it, a lot of these are on sale. What are the best ones for someone wanting to get into this genre? I have Dairanger and I remember hearing that Zyuranger is a bit rubbish.

I also assume that the rest of the non-released series have been fansubbed? Or are there series that are "forever ignored" in terms of ways to watch subbed?

WillyFive

The new Red Ranger, everyone.

So HMV's closing down and with it, a lot of these are on sale. What are the best ones for someone wanting to get into this genre? I have Dairanger and I remember hearing that Zyuranger is a bit rubbish.

Of the ones that are out on DVD, Dairanger is the best of the bunch. Although when Carranger comes out, that will be the best one yet.

I also assume that the rest of the non-released series have been fansubbed? Or are there series that are "forever ignored" in terms of ways to watch subbed?

Pretty much every single season has been translated by fans. If you want to get into the series, Gokaiger is usually the best pick for a first season to start with, since it works well as it's own season while at the same time introducing you to the stories that came before it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Hope you guys are ready to hear the word lucky five billion fucking times this year.

WarRock

O-T confirmed they'll be doing Kyuranger.

I'm particular to Kakuranger, specially if you can get your hands on the translations notes of the fansubs version since they explain a lot of cultural references (not sure if the DVDs have that).

Tiu Neo

I didn't really like Lucky in this episode, but that scene was badass.

Hope you guys are ready to hear the word lucky five billion fucking times this year.

I think the only thing that makes him a bit better than Takaharu, is that at least his actor knows how to put some emotion on what he's talking.

But yeah, the constant repetition already made that irritating on the first episode, lol.

shaowebb

All I want is more Chou Climax Heroes fighting games and for the Battride War Musou titles to catch up to DW8 levels of play so they stop feeling like DW5.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
To be fair, in Sentai, the heroes usually straight up murder the villains every week.

It's more of a thing in Rider due to the monster of the 2-weeks format---I remember it being particularly annoying in Wizard, like one episode where Wizard's distracted by sprinklers and the monster just runs off.

Still, the Flash episode where he couldn't be bothered to run after a normal guy fleeing down a tunnel was pretty bad.

One day I'll discover the secret underground laboratory where Japan breeds hot-blooded middle-aged men to voice their toys.

vareon

You know what, Ex-aid is pretty insane considering we're like only 18 episodes in. This feels like a series that's going to end game but we're not even halfway there. Let's hope they don't drop the ball midway.

NeonZ

With this newest episode, I think they hinted pretty strongly at where the show is going in the last 20 or so episodes.
Kamen Rider Chronicle is a survival game where civilians are turned into Riders and forced to fight. Considering how Toei seems to have no problem dumping the Earth setting now, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire end-game took place inside Chronicle as a giant death game, kind of like the anime Sword Art Online's 1st arc.

Tiu Neo

With this newest episode, I think they hinted pretty strongly at where the show is going in the last 20 or so episodes.
Kamen Rider Chronicle is a survival game where civilians are turned into Riders and forced to fight. Considering how Toei seems to have no problem dumping the Earth setting now, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire end-game took place inside Chronicle as a giant death game, kind of like the anime Sword Art Online's 1st arc.

This would be a nice setting change, and would give Toei reason to create new toys for the new riders.

Jeffrey

Been away from toku for a bit since Christmas. What's the status on stuff. Did cube animals end well? I see it in the op so I assume it's worth a marathon?

How is ninja steel?

That latest Ex-Aid episode was amazing as fuck. Ghost was putting me to sleep with its progress but this is going lightspeed in comparison. Level 50 Brave next episode? I'm gonna shit myself with the power levels they reach in the 40's.

Top Bottom