• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch ranked competitive matchmaking is the most one sided atrocity EVER.

How has this gone by for so long?

Where matchmaking pairs a team of plats and diamonds vs a team of gold and silvers.

This shit is so unfair and not fun it's not even funny. I don't even get how it's not brought up more just how one sided these teams are created.

It's really bad, I mean, really, really, freaking bad.

edit: It's like every match is the GSW vs the 8th seed. That's how bad the matchmaking is.

tenor.gif

Just wanted to use this gif for something =P. I had a similar situation in Starcraft 2 where I won my preliminary matches, got put in Diamond League because of that, and then got my ass kicked because I did NOT belong there.

You'd probably get less players if it was fair, and I do mean that. Most players don't like competition, they like to win. I honestly believe that's why most matching making systems are bad. It's a lot of work for very little gain.

benzopil

You still have a diamond icon even if you lose a lot of ranks and sit in bronze.

So someone was probably lucky during placement matches but in reality was not that great that's why you see him as a diamond player etc.

The most mind boggling part is that if someone on your team quits mid match, your entire team suffers a loss, your rank goes down and the enemy team gets an easy win. How is that even fair?

N30RYU

I'm not competitive enough to give a fuck about any ranked game.

I just play to have fun. Not to get points to rank and get a medal.

That's why multiplayer only games don't last me more than two weeks and then I move to another game.

Jokab

Oh please OP, the ranking system is fine. You win some, you lose some. In the end you are the only constant across your games and the one who influences your rank the most is you, not your team mates.

The most mind boggling part is that if someone on your team quits mid match, your entire team suffers a loss, your rank goes down and the enemy team gets an easy win. How is that even fair?

There is no way of solving this in a fair way. No game that I know of has succeeded.

Complistic

I've gotten to masters only ever solo queing so /meh

Just pick heroes you can carry with, or if you're not good, identify and become the heal battery for the carry.

And if you're really having a hard time advancing, it's completely possible you're right where you're suppose to be skill wise.

You have any good non-abusable solutions?

I'm sure Blizzard can think of one. You don't just have to accept that system like a sucker. But do what you want.

Heck CC2 managed to differentiate between actual quitters in Naruto Storm (3)? and people who got disconnected and penalized those that quit and not disconnected.

CSJ

I've stopped playing Competitive, there are so many ways to lose other than skill and only one way to win.
Disconnects, bugs, trolls, leavers, afkers, etc.

You can't de-rank when you're diamond or below, so what it probably means it that teams MMR is around your level.

I haven't played this season but before that, if you're talking about Season Rank, yes it does decrease if you lose and if you're not talking about decay.
Has that changed?

benzopil

I'm sure Blizzard can think of one. You don't just have to accept that system like a sucker. But do what you want.

Heck CC2 managed to differentiate between actual quitters in Naruto Storm (3)? and people who got disconnected and penalized those that quit and not disconnected.

jeez, I feel ashamed

jediyoshi

It is the least worst option, all options are inherently unfair because it's an inherently unfair situation. There can no longer be a fair outcome.

Skii

Proof of the discrepancies in average SR between the teams? Ranks mean nothing since players can drop SR and still keep a diamond/plat rank.

If you can't prove it, you just need to become good enough to carry those kind of games. It's that simple.

Jokab

I've stopped playing Competitive, there are so many ways to lose other than skill and only one way to win.
Disconnects, bugs, trolls, leavers, afkers, etc.
As I said in my last post, you are the only constant across your games. Everyone else has the same statistical probability of getting a leaver, troll or afker on their team. No actually, their probability is HIGHER if we assume you yourself never leave or disconnect.

I haven't played this season but before that, if you're talking about Season Rank, yes it does decrease if you lose and if you're not talking about decay.
Has that changed?

I'm guessing OP is referring to these "diamond" players having the diamond icon, but the thing is that even if you drop below the diamond SR of 3000 you still have the diamond icon. So theoretically you could be gold rank in SR but still have your diamond icon.

Noctis3

What is a better solution?
Backfill, but instead have that person gain a smaller amount of SR if your team wins. If you lose , the backfilled player doesn't lose anything. This will allow an even matchup instead of a lop-sided team when one or two people quit.

Applebite

I mean there's really no better alternative...
There is no way of solving this in a fair way. No game that I know of has succeeded.
What is a better solution?

In Counter Strike: Global Offensive, when your teammate bails on you in a competitive match, they are replaced by a bot. Hardly a perfect solution (especially with CS:GOs bot AI), but I would prefer to be given a fighting chance than to be punished for the actions of others.

llien

ABSOLUTELY love AMM in SC2. It is the best best part of blizzard's (RTS) games for me, to a point that I don't even consider other RTSes.

From time to time (although, rarely) I get my arse thoroughly kicked, but, well, I consider it to be a bonus (taking a peek at better player's strat/micro)... =)

You shouldn't lose much of your rating when facing opponents that vastly outskill you, so your pride is the only thing that might take a hit.

If you play at unpopular times you are more likely to face opponents that are much stronger than you.

Just wanted to use this gif for something =P. I had a similar situation in Starcraft 2 where I won my preliminary matches, got put in Diamond League because of that, and then got my ass kicked because I did NOT belong there.

Makes me puzzled how you have won your preliminary matches then.

PS
Silver newbcake here

Acidote

I mean there's really no better alternative...

Maybe there is, although painful for people with connection problems:

You don't lose any rating if you remain, the other team gets an easy win, and the quitter loses all the rating the whole team would have lost. And if he's in a team he can not queue with the same people for a few games.

There, quitter screwed and rating trading avoided.

I'm sure there are better solutions, but this is what I thought of first.

benzopil

In Counter Strike: Global Offensive, when your teammate bails on you in a competitive match, they are replaced by a bot. Hardly a perfect solution (especially with CS:GOs bot AI), but I would prefer to be given a fighting chance than to be punished for the actions of others.

How good this bot will be? Which class he will play? If Lucio disconnects, will he play Lucio? Will he use speedboost, will he randomly pop his ult?

It's not that easy in this game.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
He kind of gets a double penalty. If he leaves 6 or 7 more times, he will be banned.

The point is rather, that the rest of the team isn't punished as harshly. I'm not saying 50% is perfect, but at least recognize in some way that some guy just left.

How good this bot will be? Which class he will play? If Lucio disconnects, will he play Lucio? Will he use speedboost, will he randomly pop his ult?

Even a bad Hanzo bot would be better than nobody tho, no?

Not saying this are easy solutions, but the results of somebody leaving could and should be somewhat mitigated.

caesar

Banned
Proof of the discrepancies in average SR between the teams? Ranks mean nothing since players can drop SR and still keep a diamond/plat rank.

If you can't prove it, you just need to become good enough to carry those kind of games. It's that simple.

This.

Receipts or you're just butthurt.

Have the penalty be on the person who leaves, and if the team who is down a man loses, it's a wash and they don't go up or down in rank. If they win, they get the normal reward plus a bonus for winning man down.

Will give you lessons for 800 microsoft point.

1st lesson will exclusively centre on using spray tags to bamboozle your opponents and get all the girls.

JordanKZ

I kind of wish overwatch had a 'real' solo queue for competitive, where groups weren't allowed.

Didn't a popular game introduce this recently?

Applebite

Just because it is not "that easy" does not mean the alternative should immediately be shot down. Based on the team composition, it should be possible to narrow it down to whichever type of character is in demand. As I said, the bot might not be great, but I would prefer to be given a fighting chance than to be immediately shut down and punished. It's not like Overwatch games are that long compared to CS games, either.

benzopil

Have the penalty be on the person who leaves, and if the team who is down a man loses, it's a wash and they don't go up or down in rank.

But this is abusable. People will just discuss in chat if they are able to leave and not get banned so others don't lose ranks.

My entire point is that the matchmaking system doesn't fairly side equal skilled players on either side like most fps games do.

Rather it stacks them on one side and pairs them against inferior statistical players.

It's so messed up it's not even funny.

Maximo

Backfill, but instead have that person gain a smaller amount of SR if your team wins. If you lose , the backfilled player doesn't lose anything. This will allow an even matchup instead of a lop-sided team when one or two people quit.

Open to abuse and I personally wouldn't want to be a back fill for a game, your *the guy* that doesn't lose SR your not on equal grounds with your team your open to criticism for *not playing well enough* because it doesn't matter you won't lose SR, could turn ugly with people looking for another person to blame.
How is someone expected to mesh well with a term with morale already low people are pissed and somehow your expected to just work with his team on the fly.

Top Bottom