• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Boy Announced

Indie developer makes a game inspired by a famous dead series. Tries to do a kickstarter but it fails. Later gets the rights to the series they were inspired by and turns their game into an official sequel. Quite the interesting story.

salromano

So to be clear, the series they're reviving here is Wonder Boy / Monster World?

I'm not too familiar...

EDIT: Okay, Ryuichi Nishizawa made Wonder Boy / Monster World, so that's right.

Takao

Banned
Cute 'em up? haha Thanks man.

horizontal shooter with cute visuals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P4H4QctjEM

Indie developer makes a game inspired by a famous dead series. Tries to do a kickstarter but it fails. Later gets the rights to the series they were inspired by and turns their game into an official sequel. Quite the interesting story.

I don't think this is an official sequel. Note how it's Monster Boy, not Wonder Boy or Monster World.

Begaria

Holy...the last time and only time I ever played a game in this series was the first one on the Genesis. I might have to go back through the series at some point now.

Krejlooc

Banned
Later gets the rights to the series they were inspired by

To be clear, there are no rights here. Sega owns Wonderboy and Monster World, Konami owns the other ports (Bikkuriman world, dynastic hero, dragon's curse) and Adventure Island.

Westone merely was the creators of these games, they actually didn't own the rights. This game isn't transfering rights, but it's bringing back members of the original staff. So it's like an "official" spiritual successor, if that makes sense.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
those of you who are unfamiliar with the monster world series owe it to yourselves to check out the collection on xbla.

Firebrand

Interesting! Wonder Boy III is tied with ALttP for my favorite game of all time.

But... what's up with the title? Wizard of Booze?

The Kickstarter didn't fail, it was cancelled early because it was picked up by a publisher.

(and possibly because this was all going on behind the scenes).

OMG A NEW WONDER BOY/MONSTER WORLD!! Well...maybe not in name but close enough! I hope its great!!

OrUOtVh.gif

Fuuuuck, I was just thinking about Flying Hamster 2 the other day, how good it looked, and how it apparently dropped off the edge of the world after the Kickstarter didn't make it but some publisher announced that they had picked the game up.

I too preferred the flying hamster sprite, but will still buy the everliving hell out of this because I love the later Monster World games.

Call me crazy, but Super Paper Mario was kind of the only game that gave me Wonderboy vibes in like forever.

I'm excited for Wonder Boy IV: Adventure Island II in Monster World V.

Wonder Boy V: Monster World III is one of the best side-scrolling action RPGs I've played. A lot of that enjoyment, though, had to do with the crisp, eye-popping sprites and charming art style. I'm sure they'll get Monster Boy looking on par with Flying Hamster II eventually, which so far nails down the look a bit better than the few screens of Monster Boy.

Lord Phol

Cool! I used to play these game's with my mom when I was younger (think it was 4 and 3). Doesn't really look like something I would enjoy today but it's neat for those people who do.

Takao

Banned
The Kickstarter didn't fail, it was cancelled early because it was picked up by a publisher.

(and possibly because this was all going on behind the scenes).

The Kickstarter would've had to earn 4x its then total in a week for the campaign to have been successful. It was going to fail.

fernoca

Glad to see something was made out of Flying Hamster 2. If anything, Vita should be a no brainer because of their previous games.

Tizoc

I'm confused, is Flying Hamster 2 canceled or did it turn into Monster Boy?

Either way, I can't believe people are having an issue with the subtitle, it's just a pun joke thing.
EDIT: CAn't watch YT at work btw :p

AmyS

Oh my fucking God.

I'll buy that for a high price.

One of my fondest gaming memories was playing Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap on Sega Master System, Christmas 1989.

Then in early 1991 I got the "remastered" version, Dragon's Curse, for TurboGrafx-16.

mclem

Can anyone think of another instance where something like this happened where a developer makes a spiritual sequel or homage that ends up transforming into an official entry?

Well, Ms Pac-Man, for one!

Is this strictly an official entry? I'm viewing it more like Mighty No.9 in relation to Mega Man; original creator involved, clearly very similar games, but not the official license.

Is this strictly an official entry? I'm viewing it more like Mighty No.9 in relation to Mega Man; original creator involved, clearly very similar games, but not the official license.

One of the companies involved posted on twitter, "Celebrate with us the return of a legendary game series" so it sounds like it's official to me.

Krejlooc

Banned
Can anyone think of another instance where something like this happened where a developer makes a spiritual sequel or homage that ends up transforming into an official entry?

Shadow of the Ninja became Ninja Gaiden Shadow when it was ported to the Gameboy.

EDIT: And Gunhead is recognized as part of the Star Soldier series, despite it being made by Compile and technically being an entirely separate game (only merely published by NEC).

To be clear, there are no rights here. Sega owns Wonderboy and Monster World, Konami owns the other ports (Bikkuriman world, dynastic hero, dragon's curse) and Adventure Island.

Westone merely was the creators of these games, they actually didn't own the rights. This game isn't transfering rights, but it's bringing back members of the original staff. So it's like an "official" spiritual successor, if that makes sense.

"If Mighty Number 9 can reboot a beloved series that's fallen into obscurity by getting the original creator to make a new game that's just like the old one but with the serial numbers filed off, then we can too!"

I hope more Lost IPs come back this way.

Krejlooc

Banned
When westone closed down a few months ago, I honestly thought I'd never, ever see another wonderboy game again.

I can't tell you how excited I am that this is happening.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow this is great! Was sad that Flying Hamster 2 didn't work out. I can only imagine how awesome it must be for the devs to be working on a more "official" game rather than a game that pays tribute.

Top Bottom