• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm probably one of the two people in the world that want a cs_747 remake.

Yeah, the lack of hostage maps at launch is my main issue with it at this point.

Ha I used to enjoy 747 as well.

I agree with the lack of hostage maps, they have always been my favourite. Love using them as cover whilst being pursued by angry terrorists.

V_Arnold

Elegant OT, I like it.

And for CS:GO, I think that they are off to a great start. The game already feels more like 1.6 than CS:S ever did. (Did not stop me from liking both versions, but of course, that is up for personal preferences). Also, I thought that Arms Race is pointless, but it is so much fun. Even deathmatch is fun when you have a great hitbox/recoil system like this. I prefer this to any other shooter nowadays, honestly. (Maybe with the exception of Halo, where I had similar vibes from some of the shooting mechanics, for some reason :D)

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
It surprises me that I still enjoy CS:GO more than any other FPS. That is even after playing Counter-Strike since 1999 (13 years later!). It really does show how great the maps and the gun play are.

I did go through a phase of preferring COD:MW and Battlefield to CS, but damn I am having so much more fun playing CS:GO than those games again. I just cannot wait for more maps.

Zeppelin

Played some 1.6 with a friend last night for the first time in a couple of years so naturally we ended up looking into CS: GO too. I mostly checked out the new versions of the good old maps (de_dust2, de_inferno, de_nuke) and I can't say I was thrilled. Looks like they'll have a lot of the same problems as the Source versions of those maps had. Too many bells and whistles and random elements. Really, why even change them? The 1.6 versions of those three maps were as close to perfect as you can get when it comes to multiplayer maps. But I'll guess you'll have to give them credit for actually including them all upon release this time...

Also, cool to see Valve is still not getting why de_dust is a broken map.

And I realize I probably come of as one of those 1.6 players that doesn't want any change at all. But that's not true. I'd love to have better graphics (but without fucking up the layout of the maps) and more maps. And the money system could have been reworked.

The XBLA price will be 1200msp/$15, going by (logic, and) what a couple of different xbla sites are saying. Such as xblafans.com

Also inside that link are some videos of 360 gameplay(from an actual source, not off screen footage) on Aztec, Dust, Nuke, and Office. Dunno if you want to add these to the OP or not, so I'll put them in this post.

Aztec

Dust

Nuke

Office

web01

How are they handling updates for this on PC?
Will we be getting free maps down the line? What about consoles?
I would hate to buy this if it is going to be held back by the console versions.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I would hate to buy this if it is going to be held back by the console versions.

I do not think that would be a problem. There are already loads of custom servers, maps and game modes. (Zombies to name one)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Played some 1.6 with a friend last night for the first time in a couple of years so naturally we ended up looking into CS: GO too. I mostly checked out the new versions of the good old maps (de_dust2, de_inferno, de_nuke) and I can't say I was thrilled. Looks like they'll have a lot of the same problems as the Source versions of those maps had. Too many bells and whistles and random elements. Really, why even change them? The 1.6 versions of those three maps were as close to perfect as you can get when it comes to multiplayer maps. But I'll guess you'll have to give them credit for actually including them all upon release this time...

There are "SE" versions that are cleaned up a bit, as they're intended for competitive play. Here's a quick and dirty comparison of Aztec, to give you an idea:

de_aztec said:
2012-08-20_00001qyacw.jpg

de_aztec_se said:

I'd rather Valve ditch the "normal" versions altogether.

Edit: I should also point out that the SE maps aren't just limited to maps intended for competitive play -- cs_office, cs_italy, and indeed every map included in the game thus far, that is intended for the classic CS gametype, has a sleeker and leaner alternative version.

CoolS

PC is completely seperate from the other versions and will be updated as often as they think it's necessary. And according to some gamefiles, there will be plenty of new maps down the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcs8W7vrXcs

Didn't see it mentioned in this thread, and just came across this in the Move thread, so I thought it was worth repeating here. Apparently the PS3 version has Move, Mouse and Keyboard and DualShock support, and each player has a separate ranking for each control method he or she uses, and match-making takes it into account. I thought that's pretty interesting.

Zeppelin

There are "se" versions that are cleaned up a bit, as they're intended for competitive play. Here's a quick and dirty comparison of Aztec, to give you an idea:

I'd rather Valve ditch the "normal" versions altogether.

Huh, really. That's a really interesting idea! :)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Nice OT. I had fun with the beta for what little of it I had played. Stuff like the silencers missing didn't really bother me all that much. In fact, I never really understood why CT got silencers and Terrorists didn't get anything like that. Was there something about the AK that was better than the M4?

I was in the beta a while ago, and it was fun although I don't really fancy buying a game for my laptop at present.

I did try it on PS3 at Eurogamer Expo 2011, and found it surprisingly fun so that'll likely be my preferred platform if I do get it - anyone else tried it on PS3? I'm just worried that any community will disappear or Valve won't be able to update much or ever.

Druz

Nice OT. I had fun with the beta for what little of it I had played. Stuff like the silencers missing didn't really bother me all that much. In fact, I never really understood why CT got silencers and Terrorists didn't get anything like that. Was there something about the AK that was better than the M4?

The AK does more damage, only takes 1 shot to the head for a kill, m4 needs 2

Buying this on Steam this afternoon. For me as a casual player it is a much needed spruce up, though I've not put enough time into the beta to make a solid judgement on it.

Most server side mods and community servers will be up from day 1 too!

It still says that I already own the game when I've only had access to the beta. Is there any way Valve might be gifting it to the OG beta players from November?

StuBurns

Banned
It still says that I already own the game when I've only had access to the beta. Is there any way Valve might be gifting it to the OG beta players from November?
Nope, you don't have the game on your library or the sniper rifle in TF2, it's just some issue with the way Valve has them listed.

Tomat

Looks great for 360. I will be picking this up but how many maps are there for release?

Oh damn, I forgot this is coming out for the consoles as well. It's $15 isn't it?

I have enough points for it, but buying Counter Strike for a console just sounds... wrong...

I wonder if there will even be a community for more than a month on the 360.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

You should find that you can still add the game to your cart and purchase it, despite the store page saying you already own it. This bug seems to have appeared when the beta went live for pre-purchasers on the 14th, so I imagine that because of this, Steam notices the beta tied to your account and incorrectly assumes you've bought the game proper.

16 maps sounds great value.

Not to mention there'll be more later, and since the game is on the PS3, DLC/content updates should also be free on the X360.

waypoetic

Banned
Anyone know if this is coming out for EU PSN this week or the week after? Who am i kidding, it'll release next year as far as SCEE is concerned..

:(

outsida

I can't stop playing arms race and demolition... Can't believe I still enjoy this game after all this time.

f0rk

Should get some gathers on the go.

Kinda sad there are only 4 competitive 5v5 maps. They should have at least got Tuscan in there.

Tomat

Just curious, how many of you will be getting this for a console?

Zeppelin

Should get some gathers on the go.

Kinda sad there are only 4 competitive 5v5 maps. They should have at least got Tuscan in there.

I don't think they own the rights to de_tuscan. And it's only a poor man's de_cpl_mill anyway. :(

hwy_61

Banned
Buying this on PS3 and plugging in a KB/M configuration. Counter terrorists win yo!

They're allowing people to use KB/M on PS3? Getting it on PC for sure. I was hoping to play on the couch with the Sony stereo cans, but that sounds like a huge disadvantage for controller users.

Just curious, how many of you will be getting this for a console?

360 for me

Convinced a few of my xbros to pick it up as well, plus the 3 or 4 ex-PC CS buddies I have on my friends list. Really hoping that enough interest for a league pops up.. oh lawd the memories.

Anyone wanna set up a 360CS gamertag?

One thing I noticed for the console versions is the HUD elements, they're not unnecessarily large like most consoles games. Thank you Valve/HPE :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom