• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
God dammit, I'm going through withdrawl... I knew I should have bought something off the recap week-end.....shit...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the beginning of the first episode had me like "oh, building fences. hm...sounds fun..?" but I'm hooked now. I love how the game doesn't shy away from gore. Episode 2 was really good
(the dinner scene was tense!)
and I'm gonna start Ep. 3 now.
I'd like to play it again with different choices, but don't feel like doing it all in one day again. Guess that's my new record :p

Derrick01

Banned
It'll be interesting to see what my first purchase of the year will be.

I'm looking at a release list and I don't see anything until Tomb Raider in March, and even then I'd only buy it in the $30 range on GMG or with Amazon credit and I'd only buy it to see how bad it really ends up being.

Steam needs to step their game up with new games.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what happened, but I don't feel like playing The Witcher right now. I've been enjoying it a lot, but...

I'm only 18 hours in, still at chapter 2. And it's a great game, I like the combat, writing and all. I don't know if I should force myself to go back to it, or forget about it for a while. I really want to complete it someday.

And all the while, I can't decide which game to play now. If that one, or the original Deus Ex (another long game that I'm afraid will bore me), or Binary Domain, Alpha Protocol or Prototype. Or some random indie game, I don't know.

So many unplayed games, and somehow it's harder to choose than if I only had a pair or two.

Hanzou

I just installed an new ssd and am trying to figure out how to install steam. I have steam installed on my old drive. Now I know I can just load up steam on that drive and it will be all fine. My question is if I can reinstall steam on the new drive and will it pick up the library on my other drive. In this case the drive letters and file locations will not have changed as steam was not on the C drive before either.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yo, whoever put the collect all figments achievement in Psychonauts was a dick to the max. I'm missing 1 in the Napoleon level and I have combed through the level like 4 times now.

Also, that smashing minigame is assholishly designed too.

First purchases of 2013 was Dark Souls and 2k Strategy Super Pack. So worth it. Nothing planned for purchases. Heck, I may not buy anything in the summer either. :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yo, whoever put the collect all figments achievement in Psychonauts was a dick to the max. I'm missing 1 in the Napoleon level and I have combed through the level like 4 times now.

Also, that smashing minigame is assholishly designed too.
Punch, Raz, Punch! YAY Raz! PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH!

I still hear their voices in my head

chixdiggit

I just installed an new ssd and am trying to figure out how to install steam. I have steam installed on my old drive. Now I know I can just load up steam on that drive and it will be all fine. My question is if I can reinstall steam on the new drive and will it pick up the library on my other drive. In this case the drive letters and file locations will not have changed as steam was not on the C drive before either.

So you want Steam on your SSD and games on another drive? Good Luck. I tried the same thing and could only get it to work with a few games. If you can figure it out let me know though.

dreamfall

I think I've developed some unhealthy obsession with Vampire games- I was replaying Bloodlines, and then somehow I ended up playing the first Bloodrayne title, and then I voted to greelight Bloodlust. Which apparently had a demo, that I proceeded to play as well.

What's wrong with me?! I think all I want is some sequel to Bloodlines, and I'll satiate that desire with Vampire games of any type! Any other suggestions of games to play within the genre, specifically with sharp teeth and neon?!

oipic

I don't know what happened, but I don't feel like playing The Witcher right now. I've been enjoying it a lot, but...

I'm only 18 hours in, still at chapter 2. And it's a great game, I like the combat, writing and all. I don't know if I should force myself to go back to it, or forget about it for a while. I really want to complete it someday.

And all the while, I can't decide which game to play now. If that one, or the original Deus Ex (another long game that I'm afraid will bore me), or Binary Domain, Alpha Protocol or Prototype. Or some random indie game, I don't know.

So many unplayed games, and somehow it's harder to choose than if I only had a pair or two.

This may not be what you're suffering, but I find myself with RPG burnout from time to time - I think it's the burden of decision making, not helped by being an over-analyser who tends to over-think and get bogged down with character development and whatnot.

When I'm in one of these ruts, I like to dig my way out with something completely different, often linear, shooty or possibly 'mindless'.

Say, do you have Mark of the Ninja still to tackle? A mate is playing through that at the moment, and loving it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This may not be what you're suffering, but I find myself with RPG burnout from time to time - I think it's the burden of decision making, not helped by being an over-analyser who tends to over-think and get bogged down with character development and whatnot.

When I'm in one of these ruts, I like to dig my way out with something completely different, often linear, shooty or possibly 'mindless'.

Say, do you have Mark of the Ninja still to tackle? A mate is playing through that at the moment, and loving it.
Could be it, yes. I'm not an RPG fan, but loved the Mass Effect series (and don't hate them in retrospective, even after ME3 ending) and now was loving The Witcher too. But I may have grown tired of it, though the story, writing, characters and setting is top-notch. I'll follow your advice and let it rest for a while, until my interest comes back again (I hope it happens soon).

That's a great idea, playing something completely unrelated. I do have MotN, and haven't started it yet. Actually I did, played for 5 minutes, died in the tutorial and never touched it since. Looks like I'm going to play it now, then. Thanks a lot :)

I hope this game is as good as everyone says, 5 minutes aren't enough to form a proper opinion.

KingKong

Maybe someone here knows,

I'm trying to play Ultimate Doom and when I start it up and play it runs fine but then at some point all the colors get messed up like this

vkCRs.png

anyone know why?

J-Tier

I do have MotN, and haven't started it yet. Actually I did, played for 5 minutes, died in the tutorial and never touched it since. Looks like I'm going to play it now, then. Thanks a lot :)

I hope this game is as good as everyone says, 5 minutes aren't enough to form a proper opinion.

You'll enjoy it, or you should =P

I don't own it, but I did play it for a bit at a buddy's house and and ended up staying longer than I intended.

koolaroo

Yeah the shooting doesn't even seem as bad as I have heard it is. I mean it's not great but some people make it sound like it is unplayable.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yeah the shooting doesn't even seem as bad as I have heard it is. I mean it's not great but some people make it sound like it is unplayable.

Question is, is it better than Gears? Because we all know Binary Domain is. Now we need the Spec Ops The Line decision.

Hitman : Absolution - completed

was cruising along, but the game finally started to wear on me around mission 17....so close to the end to.

Loved the gameplay...mostly ignored the story
since it seems to just be a way to get you from mission sandbox to mission sandbox

will definitely be going back to try more challenges though, need to put it down for a bit though

Lingitiz

The shooting is Spec Ops is just kinda boring for the most part. It's functional and very basic, which is good since the narrative is what's interesting.

dreamfall

Started playing Spec ops seems pretty standard so far but I've heard it's good so I'll keep playing.

I think you play it for the story. But even on that front, you've got to temper your expectations. I thought the story was well crafted, and as Walker you see/do some truly awful things as waves of faceless soldiers attack you. But it's not strictly shock value- I think for awhile, I wondered why I kept pressing forward when every confrontation felt like a slog. There'd be a meaningful piece of graffiti, voice recording, or cutscene to keep me intrigued.

I had to play it while taking breaks between each level. The repetition and typical TPS cover-based mechanics can't be masked by the incredible soundtrack/colorful Dubai environments. And I can't say I enjoyed it- but it definitely left a very lasting impression. And I'm glad I got through it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
the gist of it is that the average gameplay actually plays into the storyline

Isn't that what one of the devs said? That the gameplay was made average on purpose so as to not detract people from the narrative? What an awful excuse.

Nabs

Isn't that what one of the devs said? That the gameplay was made average on purpose so as to not detract people from the narrative? That's an awful excuse.

I wish someone warned me ahead of time. I would have just played on it on Easy.

Oh ya, MP3 was incredibly fun on PC (mouse + 60fps). You win Salsa.

koolaroo

Isn't that what one of the devs said? That the gameplay was made average on purpose so as to not detract people from the narrative? What an awful excuse.

Yeah games greatest ascpect is that they are interactive ignoring gamplay for the sake of story is backwards. I'm not saying ignore story, far from it. Just find a way to incorporate the story into the gameplay.

Salsa

I dont think he meant it as an excuse, I think he meant that there's nothing out of the ordinary about it because of that reason. As in, it is similar to every third person shooter out there.

and THAT makes sense, putting you in familiar ground before shaking things up makes sense for what the game's trying to accomplish.

it being average/not better has nothing to do with that, and if that's what he meant then yeah that is stupid as hell

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I didn't think the plot was anything mindblowing in Spec Ops either. They have some neat tricks they pull, but the actual plot felt very similar to that one movie that is sort of based off that book and has been used in game plots multiple times now.

Except this time it's Dubai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom