• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Nintendo Thread: Mii Nintendo, U Nintendo, Wii Nintendo

maxcriden

Great post

Thank you Dan!

How long has WarioWare Touched been on 3DS? It's a DS title.

Followup question: if WarioWare Touched, a DS title, is now available digitally on 3DS, where's more DS titles and why can't I buy them? I'd buy Mario Kart DS, or Animal Crossing Wild World, or a whole other host of games if I could.

Platinum Coins and Rewards look really fair, that's neat. Cold Coins and Rewards are all poor.

This is a new development. WWT has been on 3DS as of the launch of MyN in JP, and now it's WW the same way. It's being loaded as a DSi title. No idea if more games will be, but with DS VC already being an effortful thing on Wii U, I suspect that, rather than this new DSi emulation, will be the method for DS BC going forward (i.e. for NX). Especially since I believe the big N previously said Wii U VC will be folded into future architecture.

Gold Coin rewards...are you sure? They seem pretty good to me. Much better than a lot of the 15% plat ones at least.

RedBoot

The actual new account system is Nintendo Accounts. It is unclear how the features of those will expand in the future.

Is that different from a Nintendo Network ID? Are we really going to have three different things between NNID, MyNintendo, and Nintendo Account?

Grumbling aside, I don't really mind the weirdness on the pricing for gold coins. It's just a way to get extra stuff on occasion, if you're trying to game the system to maximize gold coins, you're probably better off just buying the reward game directly.

I am relatively disappointed with this so far. I was thinking it would be cool to get rewards for games like NES or GB VC games on 3DS or other cheap eShop titles. But apparently you don't get any points for games under $5. That's so crappy. I don't have a Wii U, so I won't be buying any games that cost a lot (full retail), and I've never even bought anything over $20 on the 3DS eShop.

Even though you can spend a "lower" price for coins, for example spending $12 to get 20 gold coins, it's still basically $10 = 10 coins, $20 = 20 coins, and so on.

It just doesn't seem like the value is there. Club Nintendo just seemed so much more worthwhile to me. It also had points in physical games and actual physical rewards.

To top it all off, my iPhone is messed up and won't let me install anything new, so I can't get Miitomo on it! (For Platinum rewards.)

I don't have Majora's Mask or NES Remix (wish it included some NES Mega Man games). I have a Game Boy cartridge of Mario Land 2, but I wouldn't *mind* having it on 3DS. It's is the only Gold coin reward I see myself getting because I'm probably not going to spend enough money in April to get the discounts, and those offers expire 5/1.

Overall, I was hoping this would be an incentive to go digital...but it's just not doing much for me. And I'm almost all out of space on my 16gb SD card on the 3DS XL I use.

Also, the Rewards page on the MyNintendo website doesn't even tell you how many coins they cost until you click on them.

Sorry for such a long, complaining post... I just liked Club Nintendo so much better!

Morts

My pleasure, thanks bro!

--

Man, DKCR is a pricy reward. As are all the Gold Point ones. The cheapest you can get GPs for is $5 (game) for $10, at a rate of 10 points for $5 spent, or 2 points/$1. Otherwise the most expensive way to get them is to spend increasingly more points. $9.99 games get you 10 points. That's 1 point/$1 essentially. If you spend $70 on a game you get 80 points, which is only $1.14 points/dollar; $79.99 also gets you about 1 point/1$.

That is to say, as soon as you're looking at a game more than $5, you're already losing out on the best possible value proposition for GPs. If you spend $12 on a game you get 20 points. That's 1.7 points/dollar.

The best bet is to find all the $5 games you want. But, are there *any* games that cost over $5 but less than, say, 7? Will games that cost $4.99 really net no points?

Even if you get a game for $6 and get 10 points, that's as good of a deal as $12 for 20 points. Everything after that is worse, unless you can find a game for $11.

If I'm messing up the math here, please do correct me.

I thought people were saying that they got coins for buying the Sega 3D Classics, which are currently on sale for less than $5. Is it possible all purchases give coins but purchases that meet 'mission' requirements give more?

Salsa

so this account is completely different from the account I use on my 3DS and used on club nintendo

right?

cause I apparently have nothing registered to my email account

maxcriden

I thought people were saying that they got coins for buying the Sega 3D Classics, which are currently on sale for less than $5. Is it possible all purchases give coins but purchases that meet 'mission' requirements give more?

I don't think so, no. It might just be a welcome glitch allowing sub-$5 games to give you the 10 coins. You definitely don't get more than the listed # of mission coins per purchase.

I thought Zelda Picross is free?

It's not, but you can very quickly (within a week or two easily, or much sooner) get enough Platinum/Miitomo points for it.

georly

Is that different from a Nintendo Network ID? Are we really going to have three different things between NNID, MyNintendo, and Nintendo Account?

Grumbling aside, I don't really mind the weirdness on the pricing for gold coins. It's just a way to get extra stuff on occasion, if you're trying to game the system to maximize gold coins, you're probably better off just buying the reward game directly.

NNID is what's used on Wii U and 3DS, you can link that NNID (and therefore eshop purchases tied to that NNID) to this account. This, for now, is nothing more than a fancier club nintendo account that ALSO links to twitter, facebook, and google plus. MyNintendo and Nintendo Account are basically the same thing, where myNintendo is the coin/rewards portion of your nintendo account.

Whether NX will use NNID or the Nintendo account is unknown.

I thought Zelda Picross is free?

Free with 1000 platinum coins.

RedToad64

Followup question: if WarioWare Touched, a DS title, is now available digitally on 3DS, where's more DS titles and why can't I buy them? I'd buy Mario Kart DS, or Animal Crossing Wild World, or a whole other host of games if I could.

Platinum Coins and Rewards look really fair, that's neat. Cold Coins and Rewards are all poor.
WarioWare Touched is the only DS game on the 3DS eShop and it is exclusive to My Nintendo.

I would love if you add all Twitter followers are once.

Friend requested most including all those without mutual friends. Will do others later.

Got an anime girl sweater.

Nice that you can now see all Eshop purchases and dates on My Nintendo online.

You can probably get points for Sega 3D Classics because the regular price is between $5 and $10, even though the sale price is under $5.

ChrisD

This is a new development. WWT has been on 3DS as of the launch of MyN in JP, and now it's WW the same way. It's being loaded as a DSi title. No idea if more games will be, but with DS VC already being an effortful thing on Wii U, I suspect that, rather than this new DSi emulation, will be the method for DS BC going forward (i.e. for NX). Especially since I believe the big N previously said Wii U VC will be folded into future architecture.

Gold Coin rewards...are you sure? They seem pretty good to me. Much better than a lot of the 15% plat ones at least.
WarioWare Touched is the only DS game on the 3DS eShop and it is exclusive to My Nintendo.

Interesting! I was unaware of it already being a thing in Japan. Hopefully something comes out of it for all of us. I'd love to have a digital DS library on me.

I was talking more on the Gold Coin game rewards. I also own every game that the coupons can be applied to, so I was unintentionally leaving them out of the equation. :p

You can see your account history in the settings. I can see all the stuff I registered on Club Nintendo and the downloads I made.

maxcriden

Interesting! I was unaware of it already being a thing in Japan. Hopefully something comes out of it for all of us. I'd love to have a digital DS library on me.

I was talking more on the Gold Coin game rewards. I also own every game that the coupons can be applied to, so I was unintentionally leaving them out of the equation. :p

Ah, gotcha. Well, that's not fair to judge poor DKCR and NSLU like that! :p

emb

The My Nintendo site already seems nicer and easier to use than the old Club Nintendo. I don't wanna link any social accounts to it, and I'll probably never play Miitomo, but at least the site is pleasant.

dunno if you know, but if you touch the brick block in my nintendo your mii will have a box and will give you 10 platinum coins. (you have to touch him 10 times)

Nifty. It's just a shame that only digital games count towards gold points - I miss the days of Club Nintendo and getting points for my physical copies of stuff already. D:

Also makes me wish this had come out like a week earlier so I could have scored some gold on buying Hyrule Warriors Legends.

RedBoot

NNID is what's used on Wii U and 3DS, you can link that NNID (and therefore eshop purchases tied to that NNID) to this account. This, for now, is nothing more than a fancier club nintendo account that ALSO links to twitter, facebook, and google plus. MyNintendo and Nintendo Account are basically the same thing, where myNintendo is the coin/rewards portion of your nintendo account.

Whether NX will use NNID or the Nintendo account is unknown.

Thanks for the clarification. Since we can link NNID and MyNintendo, hopefully everything will effectively be the same account from here on. Really hoping the NX offers a pain-free "Log in and download all your stuff" option like PSN.

iBlue

so this account is completely different from the account I use on my 3DS and used on club nintendo

right?

cause I apparently have nothing registered to my email account

is kinda the same because let say your NNID is American but you actually live in brasil then when you make your Nintendo account and want to set it to brasil it wont let you.. you can only link NNID that are from the same region

jony_m

Been playing with MyNintendo since early am, so far so good.. purchases on eshop appear as gold coins immediately.

Only negative I have it that they did not give us any credit for recent eshop purchases.

Velcro Fly

Seems cool but I hope missions expand more in the future. Would be cool if they were like "play this new release game" or something like that too.

LoveCake

Tried to "Link Miitomo to a Nintendo Account" & it takes me to another page that is blank, so I don't know what to do there?

Also I had 300 silver coins when I logged in with my NNID, I then linked Miitomo to my NNID & it flashed up that I had been given 50 coins (when it says 100) & then it said that I should/could redeem them, which I did, some music played & I have no idea what I got in return for my spent 50 silver coins!

How long do the points last, or do they expire like the old system did? if they expire then I'm not going to bother with this, I used to save up all the scratch-cards/codes for when I actually wanted something from Club Nintendo.

Velcro Fly

Tried to "Link Miitomo to a Nintendo Account" & it takes me to another page that is blank, so I don't know what to do there?

Also I had 300 silver coins when I logged in with my NNID, I then linked Miitomo to my NNID & it flashed up that I had been given 50 coins (when it says 100) & then it said that I should/could redeem them, which I did, some music played & I have no idea what I got in return for my spent 50 silver coins!

How long do the points last, or do they expire like the old system did? if they expire then I'm not going to bother with this, I used to save up all the scratch-cards/codes for when I actually wanted something from Club Nintendo.

It makes you buy the coin box for 50 lol. At least it did for me when I got my points for linking NNID to my Nintendo Account

tebunker

Banned
The whole gold coins thing seems flexible in terms of value, that's why I don't think you can look at it as a dollar value proposition.

Max's post earlier showed it as a fairly bad proposition.

However let's say you decide you want to get the 30% off Splatoon code for 140 gold coins. You can buy two retail games and get 140 coins for effectively $120 or whatever you pay for it at retail, there are all kinds of ways to lower this costs. That 30% off of Splatoon at the moment is worth roughly $18, or a return of roughly 15% on those other games you bought.

Remember this is more of a combination of Club Nintendo and the Digital download programs, and it is a loyalty program too. You can't look at a direct dollar to coins ratio and expect it to make it look like a deal. You have to look at it as a return on what you spent.

If DKCR is a $20 Wii game and you get it for free by spending $200 on games, that is in effect a 10% loyalty program. Which many of us were happy with. Its not as flexible as before, I love getting eshop credit, but you have to think of it as a loyalty bonus as a % of money spent.

I wish it would retroactively give me coins for digital purchases made the last month or something. But I understand why it doesn't.

I guess we don't get any coins for physical purchases, isn't that right?

Marow

310 coins is the maximum one can get without being able to pre-register for Miitomo, right? Unless you can actually do that without being in one of the countries it's releasing in (fellow Swede here).

Edit. What about purchases that costs less than £5? Don't they get star coins?

Really like how everything is linked together. I was expecting to have to change my Mii on my Wii U or 3DS to change the Mii on my Nintendo Account, but right there was an option to use my Miitomo Mii instead.

Stopdoor

I'm not really used to the whole linking accounts thing, if I link my Facebook account will friends get spammed or anything? Is it really just so Nintendo can get juicy user data from me?

Same with Miitomo.

georly

Thanks for the clarification. Since we can link NNID and MyNintendo, hopefully everything will effectively be the same account from here on. Really hoping the NX offers a pain-free "Log in and download all your stuff" option like PSN.

That's the hope. And people can search for you via your twitter/facebook/google/NNID, but it only displays your mii name as a gamertag, basically. We're missing the Nintendo account backend on Wii U/3DS.

My guess, if they plan on making this like playstation/xbox, is that it happens on NX, and then gets retroactively updated on Wii U/3DS, if it's even possible to do so.

tebunker

Banned
Also, I want to know, if I get a code to redeem something on the eshop do I get gold coins for doing so. Not a code I buy at a store but a code from my nintendo?

And finally, I am going to go ahead and buy Animal Crossing digitally, and use the 15% off, I am guessing I will get full gold coins for it. I think. But honestly I don't care becuae I got the eshop credit at 20% off, and the play coins were earned for "free" so I end up spending a lot less than I normally woukd have.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
So there's no point in registering if you're exclusively a physical copy buyer then?

Also, I think I have different accounts for some reason on my 3DS and Wii U so not sure if that throws a wrench into things.

Pokemaniac

WarioWare Touched was recompiled as a DSiWare game. It's not really something that's viable to do at scale, especially with the storage limitations.

Nintendo Account is the umbrella account. You use that to log in to My Nintendo. NNID still exists as something of a separate entity (at least for now) which you link to your Nintendo Account.

LoveCake

It makes you buy the coin box for 50 lol. At least it did for me when I got my points for linking NNID to my Nintendo Account

I think I may have got that, what's the point in that? earning digital coins to be used in the first instance to buy a digital coin box to hold digital coins.

Coins expire after six months.

Ouch

Where does it say that?

If true, I'm not going to bother, you will never be able to save up for anything, it looks like all the items are digital rewards anyway for your Mii.

Here it is
Points are valid for six months after you collect them. When you redeem points for rewards, the points closest to expiring will automatically be used up first.

I don't see how this is anyway better than Club Nintendo.

Hnnng, just a 55 platinum coins till WarioWare! I am going to milk the shit out of Miitomo.

On a side note, Nintendo should add platinum-to-gold exchanger or at least gold-to-platinum discarder. This dual-point system drives me nuts after the simplicity of EU Club Nintendo.

So there's no point in registering if you're exclusively a physical copy buyer then?

You can still get platinum coins (from Miitomo and eShop + Miiverse login) which can be redeemed for exclusive software.

I think I may have got that, what's the point in that? earning digital coins to be used in the first instance to buy a digital coin box to hold digital coins.

I see it as a tutorial purchase.

Tyrael

I am relatively disappointed with this so far. I was thinking it would be cool to get rewards for games like NES or GB VC games on 3DS or other cheap eShop titles. But apparently you don't get any points for games under $5. That's so crappy. I don't have a Wii U, so I won't be buying any games that cost a lot (full retail), and I've never even bought anything over $20 on the 3DS eShop.

Even though you can spend a "lower" price for coins, for example spending $12 to get 20 gold coins, it's still basically $10 = 10 coins, $20 = 20 coins, and so on.

It just doesn't seem like the value is there. Club Nintendo just seemed so much more worthwhile to me. It also had points in physical games and actual physical rewards.

To top it all off, my iPhone is messed up and won't let me install anything new, so I can't get Miitomo on it! (For Platinum rewards.)

I don't have Majora's Mask or NES Remix (wish it included some NES Mega Man games). I have a Game Boy cartridge of Mario Land 2, but I wouldn't *mind* having it on 3DS. It's is the only Gold coin reward I see myself getting because I'm probably not going to spend enough money in April to get the discounts, and those offers expire 5/1.

Overall, I was hoping this would be an incentive to go digital...but it's just not doing much for me. And I'm almost all out of space on my 16gb SD card on the 3DS XL I use.

Also, the Rewards page on the MyNintendo website doesn't even tell you how many coins they cost until you click on them.

Sorry for such a long, complaining post... I just liked Club Nintendo so much better!

My thoughts exactly.

Club Nintendo used to have much better incentives for us to buy and spend money on a wide variety of Nintendo products. I remember receiving points for buying all types of games, phisical and digital and a lot of points for buying new consoles.

These new "missions and rewards" are a complete joke.

And to think I was eagerly waiting for more than a year to use this new rewards programs. Ha!

I just hope they take in account the criticism and fine tunning it over time.

Top Bottom