• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 plans detailed

Sendou

No 3DS games in the main presentation sounds good.

Also it only says Nintendo will focus on titles releasing in 2017, not exclusively. They will totally drop some stuff about a title or two next year. I still remember that 3DS direct last year where they squeezed in 1~2 Wii U titles, anything can happen!

Where do you see the word "focus"? Can't find it.

Shiggy

OMG! Xenoblade Chronicles 2 must have been delayed to 2018, else they would've mentioned it specifically, just as they did with Mario Odyssey!!!!111111

as i predicted. people expect a full blow out with games shown that release deep into 2018, but nintendo will show Mario, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2 and Rabbids for the Switch (with Zelda DLC and ARMS stuff). Neogaf will go nuts once more, Nintendo doomed again.

same procedure as every year.

Rappy

Why only games for 2017 won't they show something new? Major meh if so then.
Something new? They've barely shown anything of games they said they're releasing in 2017. So little that people guarantee something like Xenoblade 2 is a 2018 title. I'd bet they show some 2018/TBD titles too but I don't understand the praise for showing something so far off that you get a 1 minute teaser for 2+ years.

No.

The last Direct had a focus on Splatoon 2 and Arms, but it never stopped them from talking about other stuff.

Yeah the word Focus implies a centre of attention which means there will be other stuff announced as well!

Slaytendo won't focus on 2018 games but there will be 2018 announcements but won't focus on them, only on 2017 games

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
sounds great - no 3ds on the main stage

focus down 2017 to build up max hype into the holiday season

MisterR

It's not only going to be 2017 games. It says "focus" man. We've been through this over and over already. They can announce 2018 games, but they have a lot to show for this year. It makes complete sense.

You have no idea if they will show 2018 games or not. The only thing we know is they state it's focusing on 2017.

Man, some of y'all need to actually read their E3 plan. Having a focus on games coming out this year doesn't prevent them from announcing games for next year nor announcing surprises for this year. Their last direct, despite focusing on Arms and Splatoon, still had new stuff. Personally, I'll take this over games being announced an eternity away from their actual release date (FF VII Remake and TMS, looking at you)

Akiller

No.

The last Direct had a focus on Splatoon 2 and Arms, but it never stopped them from talking about other stuff.

Yeah, Directs have often had that "time limit" but that isn't a real limit, it's rather a focus. Indeed, directs had announcements that were off those time limits.

as i predicted. people expect a full blow out with games shown that release deep into 2018, but nintendo will show Mario, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2 and Rabbids for the Switch (with Zelda DLC and ARMS stuff). Neogaf will go nuts once more, Nintendo doomed again.

I expect a full blowout of games for 2017 ;0

I can feel the upcoming disappointment from here, Mario is gonna rock but I don't feel they are ready to drop big surprises this year, they are gonna focus on the upcoming year line up mostly.

There are certainly some unannounced 2017 surprises.

First it's

"They are only showing games for next year holy shit they are doomed"

Now it's

"Holy shit they are only showing games for the current year....doomed"

Where do you see the word "focus"? Can't find it.
It says focus.

Nintendo’s E3 activities kick off on Tuesday 13th June at 17:00 BST with its Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017 video presentation. Available to view in local languages live at Nintendo of Europe’s E3 2017 website, this presentation will offer more details about Super Mario Odyssey and other Nintendo Switch games, with a focus on games launching this year.

J@hranimo

Banned

Preach it. Nothing changes here.

KevinG

Even if they only have Mario for the rest of the year, I'd be happy.

I hope there's more, but I'm all in on Mario Odyssey hype.

MisterR

Something new? They've barely shown anything of games they said they're releasing in 2017. So little that people guarantee something like Xenoblade 2 is a 2018 title. I'd bet they show some 2018/TBD titles too but I don't understand the praise for showing something so far off that you get a 1 minute teaser for 2+ years.

E3 is about surprises and keeping people hyped about the future of the platform. People want an idea what's coming down the road.

Zedark

The "2017 only" can be ok, great or disappointing. Disappointing if they don't make new big announcements. Great if they say "Hey, smash bros, pokemon and Animal crossing are all coming in 2017!". And OK if the new Mario is as impactful as BotW last year.

It's not 2017 only, though. Here's the full statement:

Business wire said:
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As part of Nintendo's plan to deliver news about upcoming games all throughout the year, the company will provide a packed week of activities at the E3 video game show, which runs from June 13 to June 15 in Los Angeles. Proceedings will be headlined by the first-ever opportunity to play the Super Mario Odyssey game, Mario's upcoming sandbox-style adventure for the Nintendo Switch system, as well as other Nintendo Switch games. Additional activities at the annual show include a Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017 video presentation announcing new details for Nintendo Switch games launching this year, the return of Nintendo Treehouse: Live at E3, and tournaments for the ARMS and Splatoon 2 games live-streamed from the show floor.

”Our various E3 activities will showcase the next steps for Nintendo Switch, from a summer of social competitive gaming to a holiday season highlighted by a milestone Mario adventure," said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. ”With Nintendo Treehouse: Live at E3, fans at home can watch in-depth gameplay of Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS games launching this year."

Nintendo's E3 activities kick off Tuesday, June 13, at 9 a.m. PT with its Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017 video presentation. Available to view live at http://e3.nintendo.com, this presentation will offer more details about Super Mario Odyssey and other Nintendo Switch games, with a focus on games launching in 2017.

Immediately following Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017, Nintendo is once again bringing back Nintendo Treehouse: Live at E3, a live-streamed showcase of upcoming games for Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Gameplay for all the featured games will be streamed from the E3 show floor June 13 to June 15 via http://e3.nintendo.com, as well as on Nintendo's channels on YouTube and Twitch. In addition to gameplay, the livestream will include behind-the-scenes info and commentary from game developers and members of the Nintendo Treehouse.

When Nintendo's booth space opens at noon on June 13, show attendees will be among some of the first people in the world to get their hands on Super Mario Odyssey, as well as other games for Nintendo Switch. Super Mario Odyssey is Mario's first sandbox-style game since Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

In addition to all of these activities, Nintendo will also host game tournaments that will be live-streamed from the E3 show floor. The 2017 Splatoon 2 World Inkling Invitational splats onto the scene on June 13 and features Splatoon 2 for Nintendo Switch. Composed of four pre-qualified squid squads from the U.S., Japan, Europe and Australia/New Zealand, the tournament will find teams participating in the first-ever international Splatoon 2 competition. The second tournament, the 2017 ARMS Open Invitational, takes place on June 14 and will feature Nintendo's upcoming ARMS fighting game for Nintendo Switch.

Further details about Nintendo's activities at E3, including information about the tournaments, will be shared closer to the event. For more information about Nintendo's activities and announcements at E3 2017, visit http://e3.nintendo.com.

As you can see (the bolded), the exact wording is "a focus", same as for the Splatoon 2/ARMS direct, which ended up having much more than that. I would expect some 2018 titles as well.

KodaRuss

It's not only going to be 2017 games. It says "focus" man. We've been through this over and over already. They can announce 2018 games, but they have a lot to show for this year. It makes complete sense.

Where does it say focus? It says they are taking a look at 2017 games.

EDIT: Saw the press release, maybe we should update the OP with that... hopefully they have some announcements for us!

Last year Nintendo showed one fucking game for E3 and people panicked before it even started. I'm feeling the same way right now, even if it's not a single game.

marmoka

Banned
Finally!! I was starting to get worried because they weren't announcing anything.

E3 without Nintendo doing a live event or a streaming Direct is not an E3.

You have no idea if they will show 2018 games or not. The only thing we know is they state it's focusing on 2017.
Yeah they will show a 2018 game. I know what "focus" means and every single E3 they've shown a following year game. I know that for sure.

Where does it say focus? It says they are taking a look at 2017 games.

Nintendo’s E3 activities kick off on Tuesday 13th June at 17:00 BST with its Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017 video presentation. Available to view in local languages live at Nintendo of Europe’s E3 2017 website, this presentation will offer more details about Super Mario Odyssey and other Nintendo Switch games, with a focus on games launching this year.

18-Volt

You guys need to forget about Pokémon Stars game. It's too late for this year for a mainline Pokémon game announcement, even for a third version. There will be a Pokémon game for Switch this fall but it won't be what you expect. The year after the new gen is always the year of new Mystery Dungeon game.

I can feel the upcoming disappointment from here, Mario is gonna rock but I don't feel they are ready to drop big surprises this year, they are gonna focus on the upcoming year line up mostly.

Did you even read their plans?

Just because they're focusing on 2017 games which makes so much sense, that doesn't prevent them from 2018 announcements

E3 is about surprises and keeping people hyped about the future of the platform. People want an idea what's coming down the road.

Future's good and all, but I'd rather take more info on whats on the more immediate horizon than an hour of trailers giving me a vague 2018/2019 year date.

TheJoRu

This might be naive, but I wouldn't rule out there being at least something for beyond 2017. Something like at the end Reggie comes on saying "so in today's presentation we've put the spotlight on some of the amazing content we've got for Nintendo Switch in 2017. But we couldn't just leave you today without giving you a little sneak peek of something a little farther away into the future. And when I say farther into the future, I mean that in more than one way..."

*Cue Metroid trailer*

Ok, that last part was pure dreaming. Apart from that I was being serious.

Nvm, it's merely a "focus" on 2017, meaning there'll definitely be announcements beyond that.

Plum

Gonna be nice having an E3 from Nintendo with new announcements that aren't mostly crap; last year's was amazing but we knew about Zelda so not since 2014 have they dropped any real 'megatons.' Can't wait.

XandBosch

Pretty sure you guys are reading way too much into a small sentence written by some random PR dude at Nintendo. It'll be a par for the course E3 Nintendo presentation. Meaning a lot of weird stuff we didn't need or expect, some things we expected, and maybe one or two WHOA moments.

ggx2ac

I feel like this is going to be a repeat of last year when they said the show would be focused on Zelda so keep those expectations low guys.

It's better for you.

Neoxon

You guys need to forget about Pokémon Stars game. It's too late for this year for a mainline Pokémon game announcement, even for a third version. There will be a Pokémon game for Switch this fall but it won't be what you expect. The year after the new gen is always the year of new Mystery Dungeon game.
Except those aren't done by Game Freak, which is who the reports explicitly said was the developer.

Kikorin

-Full reveal of ARMS
-Full reveal of Mario Odyssey (that will be a lot more amazing than people are expecting, like BOTW last year)
-New trailer for Splatoon 2
-New trailer for Xenoblade 2 that will be confirmed for this year.
-Some 3rd party games with at least one unexpected for a Nintendo platform
-VC and online detailed
-New firmware update announced with video recording, Netflix incoming, etc...
-Close with a teaser of the new Retro game

Amir0x

Banned
I hope it's a misunderstanding about only 2017 games for direct (or that they have some truly amazing 2017 game surprises instead). I want to get a Switch by the time Mario Odyssey comes, but the library as it stands is simply woefully undercooked even if I include all the announced games I actually want (Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade 2, Project Octo Traveler). Combine this with all the problems the hardware has and the barebones system as it stands, and not even MO is going to make me think I should get a Switch at $299.99 if there isn't a very good upcoming lineup shown at E3. I'll just end up waiting for 2018 then.

I want to see the fruits of this unified development front Switch was supposedly going to allow Nintendo to take advantage of, sooner rather than later. Please, maybe at least the Retro game? Here's hoping.

Top Bottom