• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF lets battle it out. Which franchise is better F-Zero or Wipeout

Pick yours

Results are only viewable after voting.

KrawlMan

I haven't given Wipeout a fair shake, so I'm not sure I could say either way. What I do recall of what I played was floaty vehicles. Controls didn't sit well for me compared to FzeroGX.

Considering all the love for GX in here, didn't it sell poorly? Also didn't miyamoto say some pretty negative things about it, and the prospects of a new one?

Robbit_80

Hands down WipEout. Loved the PS1 trilogy, the art design, the music, the atmosphere, the tracks, the feels. Oh yes.

Pure was awesome on the PSP and now I have Omega on pre-order!

Only thing I would like to see is a return to the gritty industrial feel of the first couple games. The newer games are a bit 'clean cut'.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
There are a lot of easy comparisons like that where it'll easily go Nintendos way. Smash Bros V Tekken I'd say would be a fairer match. Smash Bros is better. Mario Kart vs CTR. Mario easily. Mario against anything, Mario. Metroid against...Killzone? Metroid. Zelda V Horizon. BotW.

Nintendo does so much where they win hands down.

Not f zero.

You do the same shit in every single thread, state something stupidly negative about a Nintendo game then backtrack when people call you out and try to save face by writing something more level headed. It gets boring. F-Zero GX has consistently been praised for 14 years all over the internet as a masterpiece.

TDLink

I haven't given Wipeout a fair shake, so I'm not sure I could say either way. What I do recall of what I played was floaty vehicles. Controls didn't sit well for me compared to FzeroGX.

Considering all the love for GX in here, didn't it sell poorly? Also didn't miyamoto say some pretty negative things about it, and the prospects of a new one?

Yes GX didn't sell great. But that was like well over a decade ago, 3 consoles ago. It's hard to use that as a gauge for its potential modern success.

The Miyamoto quotes were misattributed to GX, and were actually about the crappy F-Zero GBA games...somehow there were three.

The two that count :p (original and gx)

I'm coming off as overly negative, f zero is obviously far from a bad series. But without wanting to spout hyperbole, it's not genre defining.
X doesn't count???

F-Zero X is my all time favorite racing game. SO good. I prefer the tightness and speed of F-Zero but WipEout is real cool too! I'll take what I can get.....

see5harp

It's hard to see how they'd improve on GX honestly, other than adding online and improving the graphics. I imagine it's partially why they ceased making new entries.

Well yea they should do that then with leaderboards, private races, tournaments, ghosts, etc. The gamecube version is a classic but yea make a modern day arcade racer and prove you care. I'd buy a switch for that instantly.

FinalAres

You do the same shit in every single thread, state something stupidly negative about a Nintendo game then backtrack when people call you out and try to save face by writing something more level headed. It gets boring. F-Zero GX has consistently been praised for 14 years all over the internet as a masterpiece.
Umm...no I don't? Are you thinking of someone else?

For me it's WipEout (just) Super fast gameplay with awesome soundtracks make it so addictive. Cannot wait to get WipEout Omega, 4k/60fps WipEout on Pro is gonna be amazing.

The F-Zero games are also awesome though. Hopefully Switch gets a new F-Zero game announced at E3.

Even pulling the dead weight of some of the 'meh' game boy games, F-Zero GX puts that series over the top.

The sense of speed is unmatched, and the control is top notch.

GX is IMO, hands down, one of the greatest racers ever.

TDLink

Well yea they should do that then with leaderboards, private races, tournaments, ghosts, etc. The gamecube version is a classic but yea make a modern day arcade racer and prove you care. I'd buy a switch for that instantly.

I'm hopeful their "we'll release Virtual Console games with online added" plan includes games like F-Zero GX and not just like, Ice Climber or something stupid.

Because really that's the main thing they'd need to do.

They could go the Wind Waker HD route with it too but I imagine it'd be a tougher sell for them to commit to a full retail release.

EvB

Wipeout fans
dutch-10dauzuXyh5I3K

Aggie CMD

Being a product of the N64 era, I have a great fondness for F-Zero X. I remember only beating the X cup on master difficulty because the random track generation would always create at least one track with a sharp turn and dip causing all the CPU opponents to fly off the track 🤣.

And I spent hours competing against my brothers on Silence time trails shaving milliseconds off the top time.

s_mirage

Wipeout. You can make the argument that F-Zero GX is the best single game, but IMO Wipeout is the better franchise overall.

I wish we could as a community move on from posts like these.

F-ZERO hands down.

F-Zero no contest.

Wipeout. Easily.

Wipeout by an absolute mile, no doubt.

It would be incredibly weird to see anyone who has played both say Wipeout with a straight face.

WipEout is a better franchise than F-Zero and it's not even close.

Easiest question ever asked. F-Zero.

F-Zero and it's not even a contest

It's obviously a contentious question, and responses that don't acknowledge that are missing something. Which is the majority of the first page.

FWIW, I think both honestly offer strengths and weaknesses. I find F-Zero GX to have somewhat better gameplay, but Wipeout to have an overall better sense of style. That's not to say the other is in any way lacking in either of these characteristics either. I'd probably choose Wipeout with a gun to my head, given it's close association with modern, relevant and super well-selected electronic music.

I love F-Zero to death. And though I've never played a Wipeout game, I doubt I'll enjoy it more than F-Zero when I finally do. What I love about F-Zero the most is its spirit; its environments, music, and characters come together to make an incredibly charming game. I'm sure Wipeout feels great to play, but it looks devoid of character, based on what I've seen.

Baleoce

This isn't a battle that needs to be settled. Also, I wish games would stop claiming to be spiritual successors to both when 90% of the time it's just a variation on Wipeout.

Boom. Wipeout has had others imitating it for years.

And F-Zero X and GX are still better than any of those games. F-Zero gets my vote, easy.

This isn't a battle that needs to be settled. Also, I wish games would stop claiming to be spiritual successors to both when 90% of the time it's just a variation on Wipeout.

I mean, you're right, but it's just a bit of fun. The bolded is so true, though. Last game to burn me like that was Fast Racing Neo. Never again.

It really doesn't. Unless you grew up in the PlayStation era where graphics and style were consistently valued over gameplay.

Basically. "Wipeout introduced me to graphic design". So Paul Rand is the greatest videogame developer ever?

When's the last time an F-zero came out?

Wipeout is dope. Some of the best shortcuts ever in a racing game. It's a very tactical racing game as well...
Which is the real reason why some didn't care for it.

Yea, wipeout has inspired people, but it was the total package: gameplay, graphics, music, and design.

Intru

I've tried to play F-Zero GX on multiple occasions and never really cared for it.

I have to go with Wipeout, played a ton of Pulse then HD/Fury then 2048.

tzare

I love F-Zero to death. And though I've never played a Wipeout game, I doubt I'll enjoy it more than F-Zero when I finally do. What I love about F-Zero the most is its spirit; its environments, music, and characters come together to make an incredibly charming game. I'm sure Wipeout feels great to play, but it looks devoid of character, based on what I've seen.
As much as i like fzero i never felt the need to care about characters in a racing game, just like i feel the story mode in fighting games is unnecessary.
Give me the cars,/ships gimme the tracks and a good soundtrack, or sometimes the lack of it, to listen the sound of the ships, i loved the sound of snes fzero ships, it was perfect.

Dr.Sanchez

Neo Member
Having played the original F-zero + GX and wipeout hd/fury/2048, I'm going with wipeout. I prefer the way the vehicles look and control.

Frillen

F-Zero.

I love both franshises though, but man that GX. Probably my favorite racing game of all time.

Seems like the winner is F-Zero.

Drinkel

I'm so torn. While I greatly admire F-Zero GX, especially the levels. It never really clicked with me. My favorite F-Zero game to play is actually Maximum Velocity. It controls like a dream. Really fun universe and great music in all of them.

I love Wipeout HD/Fury, Zone Battle mode is my all time favorite racing mode. But while the controls are very precise and satisfying I think the Ps1 Wipeouts have a better floatiness to the ships and an overall better sense of style.

I think I'm like 55% Wipeout 45% F-Zero on this one.

Lunar15

Nintendo pushed F-Zero really hard around the time GX came out. They had an arcade cabinet that was built by Sega and Nintendo, an anime on TV, and three gameboy advance games.

None of it really stuck even though they tried pretty hard to make it a thing. I think that's why they're pretty cold on it right now. It didn't just burn them, it burned Sega and Namco.

That said, I kinda thing F-Zero's general goofiness could work better in a modern context. Look at things like Overwatch: a big cast of colorful characters is very welcome now.

Wipeout.

F Zero just never grabbed me, from the feel of the controls to the design of the visuals to the overall sense of style and speed, it left me cold.

Wipeout though, especially as a British teen with a PS1 in the 90's, was just life affirming, and a joy to play. Cannot wait for the collection for PS4.

Kiter

Neo Member
F-Zero easily.
Wipeout plays way too wobbly for futuristic cars going at extreme speed.
Like... how do aerodynamics work?
The vehicles in F-Zero (GX) have that tight control, exactly how I expect them to handle.
Imo the weapons in Wipeout feel so out of place and are not fun to use. Compared to Mario Kart or CTR they don't feel rewarding at all. Wipeout is also completely devoid of character, everything feels so sterile.

F-Zero GX just captures the perfect thrill of boosting to the limit, racing in a huge pack, campy characters, tight controls and crazy track design.

Baleoce

And F-Zero X and GX are still better than any of those games. F-Zero gets my vote, easy.

I mean, you're right, but it's just a bit of fun. The bolded is so true, though. Last game to burn me like that was Fast Racing Neo. Never again.

Same happened to me with that game haha. I also ended up trying Redout, but I quite enjoyed that one. Halfway house between Wipeout and Episode 1: Racer. And I used to play the latter a ton on N64.

Giga Man

F-Zero has characters, so F-Zero wins.

Have y'all played in this?

18620055_10156170374313989_2649272493296482121_n.jpg

Because I have and my answer is Fzero

I played F-Zero AX for the first time at the arcade in Circus Circus in Las Vegas just last year. Now, I've never played an arcade driving game before (other than Mario Kart Arcade GP), so is it normal for the seat to rock around? I ask because that was freaking WILD! I had a BLAST playing that game and screaming like I was on a roller coaster! What an experience!

Top Bottom