• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

The Genestealers are a type of Tyranid. They infiltrate and fuck shit up, thus you find them on Space Hulks.

The picture you linked is a converted model of a Swarmlord made from a Carnifex, Trygon, and green stuff.
Here I thought I was looking at a plant, leaking images of a new Tyranid unit :(

Here I thought I was looking at a plant, leaking images of a new Tyranid unit :(

They have a unit coming that matches the size of an Eldar Wrathknight. Rumor is that rules will allow more Carnifex models on the table too. Pretty cool if true.

I have 3 armies: Eldar, Blood Angels, and Tyranids. I love em all!

They have a unit coming that matches the size of an Eldar Wrathknight. Rumor is that rules will allow more Carnifex models on the table too. Pretty cool if true.

I have 3 armies: Eldar, Blood Angels, and Tyranids. I love em all!

I'm a junky...

Space Marines (Salamanders)
Space Wolves
Tyranids
Orks
Sisters of Battle
Imperial Guard (this started out as inducted troops in the old Witch Hunters codex)

My tyranids haven't seen play in a long time though. In fact many of my big beasties are still unassembled. Here's hoping the new book gives me a reason to actually dust them off.

Genestealers had fantastic background. The way they would infiltrate a world and create hybrids and purebloods and slowly exert influence over a world was great stuff. The Patriarch would get swollen and fat with psychic energy the larger his brood became. Eventually he became a beacan to the Hive Fleets, letting them know a world had been subverted and it was ripe for the taking.

The whole cult angle was great from a lore and RP perspective. I ran a genestealer cult in Necromunda!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Such a cult forms if a Genestealer infects members of another species with its genotype. The resultant changes in the genome of the host cause a fanatical loyalty to the Genestealers as well as a drastic change to their reproductive system; their firstborn children will be Hybrids, a grotesque mixture of the host's race and Genestealers. These hybrids infect further victims, and the infection spreads exponentially. Fourth generation hybrids produce Purestrain Genestealers, and the cycle starts once again.

Genestealers had fantastic background. The way they would infiltrate a world and create hybrids and purebloods and slowly exert influence over a world was great stuff. The Patriarch would get swollen and fat with psychic energy the larger his brood became. Eventually he became a beacan to the Hive Fleets, letting them know a world had been subverted and it was ripe for the taking.

The whole cult angle was great from a lore and RP perspective. I ran a genestealer cult in Necromunda!

*shutters*

Leunam

Anyone remember what Space Marine chapter, or Renegade chapter, or Chaos Legion it was that was basically in hibernation under a sea of ammonia? Driving me crazy here.

Nikodemos

For those who haven't played it yet (due to various reasons) or those who want a fully digital version, Gamersgate is offering -66% on Dawn of War (I) the complete collection.

Vhalyar

As a note, those are all rumors and rumors this early typically don't pan out. The two exceptions were posters named Harry and Hastings, but both have retired from 40k rumors.

My experience is that you're going to get those things from different shows:

The 11th Company - tournament-level tactics talk

The Independent Characters - focuses deeply on one subject per show, usually hobby related or something unusual like Zone Mortalis or Necromunda.

Deep Strike Radio - 100% fluff talk
Independent Characters is absolutely the best for that kind of stuff. They do great indepth review episodes on new stuff (Forge World too, since one of the hosts is a maniac and buys everything). It's the only 40K podcast I still listen to. They're pretty much clean too (unless someone they're interviewing gets salty) so if that's a worry, they're good for that.

Heroic 28s do nothing but reviews of codexes but you have to put up with one of the hosts breathing into his mic constantly and for me, it's a deal breaker if a podcast has terrible audio issues.

Think I'll give Independent Characters a go next then, cheers guys!

Fou-Lu

As a note, those are all rumors and rumors this early typically don't pan out. The two exceptions were posters named Harry and Hastings, but both have retired from 40k rumors.

I really miss the both of them.

I'm considering ordering some Eldar or Tau to assemble and paint up, or maybe I'll go for some other cheaper game, I don't know, I just really want to paint something.

Vhalyar

I really miss the both of them.

I'm considering ordering some Eldar or Tau to assemble and paint up, or maybe I'll go for some other cheaper game, I don't know, I just really want to paint something.

So do I. Both were so reliable, you always knew they had something solid when they spoke about any rumor.

His last schedule information will come to an end in 2014 :(

MajorWesJanson
Tau are next, then Eldar. Sisters, Templars, Orks, and probably Nids need books before IG does. .......
75Hastings69
Not quite, remove sisters & Templars...... replace with SM & IG....... Although the order of them might be mixed up a bit

Oops my mistake, I thought you were listing the order, then I realised you were listing codex that need updating before IG ....... still a little further look ahead in the future of 40k never did any harm did it?
MiyamatoMusashi
I was under the impression it was Tau, Eldar, Orks, SM, Nids, then Guard?
75hastings69
Move the orks.

So basically he's been spot on... Tau -> Eldar -> SM -> Orks or Nids next, since he didn't say where to move the Orks.

As for cheapness, there's a number of alternatives out there for 40k models from Russian and China, if you don't mind what it implies.

m2250092a_99120101091_ThunderWolfCav01_445x319.jpg

These guys are riding wolves. My God. That's awesome.

Burt

I've never played a tabletop game but I remember wanting a Warhammer fantasy set so bad back in the day. Honestly, looking back I'm kind of glad I never got my hands on one, but the interest is still there. If I was looking for something with gameplay similar to the TT games (either 40K or fantasy), do I have any videogame options? I realize that a big part is building, painting, and maintaining an army (as well as the social aspect), but I'd like to get a feel for what actually playing it would be like.

Showaddy

I've never played a tabletop game but I remember wanting a Warhammer fantasy set so bad back in the day. Honestly, looking back I'm kind of glad I never got my hands on one, but the interest is still there. If I was looking for something with gameplay similar to the TT games (either 40K or fantasy), do I have any videogame options? I realize that a big part is building, painting, and maintaining an army (as well as the social aspect), but I'd like to get a feel for what actually playing it would be like.

Well Warhammer: Mark of Chaos isn't the greatest RTS out there but it's enjoyable enough and you build an army like you would do for the tabletop version with you choosing your army, colour scheme and points limit.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Currently 16/24 in the Horus Heresy.
Dang, it's long.

Karakand

christ i spend like 3h last night reading this wiki instead of sleeping -.-
the theory of blood ravens being thieving bastards is amazing

It's a really funny site (sometimes), but linking it here feels like putting your head in a lion's mouth.

The Emperor's finest :D

Not according to Prospero Burns. -_-

Spoilers:
Last night I got to the part where the narrator asks the Wolves why they're not angry that Russ was passed over for Warmaster and they responded with something like, "he's the Emperor's executioner, not his heir." If Russ was executioner, I don't want to know what Curze, Angron or Perturabo were.

Guevara

I

Spoilers:
Last night I got to the part where the narrator asks the Wolves why they're not angry that Russ was passed over for Warmaster and they responded with something like, "he's the Emperor's executioner, not his heir." If Russ was executioner, I don't want to know what Curze, Angron or Perturabo were.
These names literally made me laugh out loud.

Curse, Angry, Perturb.

Leunam

Perturabo is perpetually perturbed.

Which reminds me of the Eternal Fortress

The loyalists approached the Fortress in a massive formation four Companies across. Overseeing the battlefield from a tower, Perturabo directed the defense against his brothers' (Rogal Dorn) forces. The Imperial Fists were immediately met with heavy defenses. With the aid of tank traps and minefields, the Iron Warriors neutralized their armor and pinned their infantry units.

Upon breaking out, the Loyalists discovered less resistance than expected. Unknown to the loyalists, Perturabo was withdrawing portions of his force to entice the Imperial Fists to assault their positions and take additional casualties. Crucially, this allowed the Primarch of the Iron Warriors to control the movements of the Loyalists, directing them into carefully planned traps and kill zones. By repeating this tactic, the Iron Warriors were able to break apart the formations of the Imperial Fists, first Company by Company and then Squad by Squad. By the sixth day, the Imperial Fists had been reduced to largely fighting Battle-Brother by Battle-Brother.

The battle lasted another three weeks. The Imperial Fists' ammunition was expended and they fought individually in half flooded trenches with their combat knives, refusing to submit while they dug into the mud and used their fallen Battle-Brothers for cover. Dorn personally turned back a number of attacks. The Legion's Captains pleaded with their primarch to organize a breakout and retreat, but Dorn refused. Ever loyal, the Imperial Fists resigned to die fighting alongside their lord if necessary.

Karakand

^What did Uber Aemos say when he was captured by the Fourth Legion?
Most perturbatory.

These names literally made me laugh out loud.

Curse, Angry, Perturb.

ikr, no one does unintentional humor like 40K.

Curze gets even better, btw. His first name is Conrad and he's from the planet Nostramo. That planet existed in perpetual darkness, both literally in that it was night almost 24 hours a day, and that the inhabitants were criminals, monsters, and otherwise debased people.

Showaddy

It's a really funny site (sometimes), but linking it here feels like putting your head in a lion's mouth.

Spoilers:

General Horus Heresy Spoilers:
The new line from the HH books is that Russ & The Space Wolves were created as a sort of executioners to deal with other legions. They're sent after the World Eaters in another HH book and it's hinted more than a few times that they dealt with the missing Legions as well.

They've got the brutality of the World Eater's & Night Lords but Russ is actually loyal to the Emprah and does what he's told.

Finished the Dawn of War 2 campaign the other day.

By the end I had everyone in Terminator armor basically wrecking everything.

Now I'm going through Chaos Rising and it's pretty good so far.

Only thing that annoys me sometimes is I'll attack move a group and sometimes melee units will kill what ever they are attacking then just shoot at enemies with their bolters instead of engaging in melee. And ranged units will sometimes stop and not attack until ordered again.

Other than that it's as fun as I remember.

Karakand

General Horus Heresy Spoilers:
The new line from the HH books is that Russ & The Space Wolves were created as a sort of executioners to deal with other legions. They're sent after the World Eaters in another HH book and it's hinted more than a few times that they dealt with the missing Legions as well.

They've got the brutality of the World Eater's & Night Lords but Russ is actually loyal to the Emprah and does what he's told.

It's cool that some of the traitor / loyalist legions are reflections of one another, but not all of them had to be that way. I'm waiting for El'Jonson to have a twin brother by the end of this.

Since we're on the topic of Horus Heresy era Space Wolves, they seem awfully superstitious for the heyday of the Imperial Truth. Wyrds, ghosts, afterlife, etc.

dc89

I loved the collecting and modelling side of this as a teenager. I never played the game though.

I'll have to see if I can dig out some of the better models I painted.

Showaddy

It's cool that some of the traitor / loyalist legions are reflections of one another, but not all of them had to be that way. I'm waiting for El'Jonson to have a twin brother by the end of this.

Since we're on the topic of Horus Heresy era Space Wolves, they seem awfully superstitious for the heyday of the Imperial Truth. Wyrds, ghosts, afterlife, etc.

Yeah they never really leave Fenris behind, their weird tribal culture just moves up with them when they become Marines. I suppose it's why they never bothered giving Roboute Guilliman's Codex Astartes a second glance and have just done their own thing for thousands of years.

Top Bottom