• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Pilots |OT| The Season's Dead, But Development Hell is Forever

ivysaur12

Banned
Nope, not it. Fox will pick up Sleepy Hollow and it looks like Karyn Usher's Delirium. Plus more pilot orders coming.

EDIT:

@franklinavenue
Fox drama pilot order: RAKE. Greg Kinnear stars as a self-destructive criminal defense lawyer.

They are the Ruben Fleischer-produced drama The List, Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci’s Sleepy Hollow and Karyn Usher’s Delirium.

Natalie Martinez cast in Under the Dome.

I'll update this thread... eventually.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Having read through this thread for the first time, I don't have much faith for next season. I know it's hard to tell from just a synopsis but most of these shows sound horrible.

I'd love it if Eddie Murphy actually was a regular cast member on that BHC show but the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The Returned
Logline: What happens when the people you have mourned and buried suddenly appear on your doorstep as if not a day's gone by? The lives of the people of Aurora are forever changed when their deceased loved ones return.
Cast:
Team: W/EP Aaron Zelman (Criminal Minds)
Studio: ABC Studios, Brillstein Entertainment, Plan B
Yikes. First note: change the town name from Aurora.

ivysaur12

Banned
Here's what's picked up that's not in the OP. Adding after I post this:

ABC:

Comedy:

-- Pulling: The story of three dysfunctional women in their 30s living their lives the way they want, even if society tells them they should have it all figured out by this point.
Cast:
Written by: Lee Eisenberg (Bad Teacher) & Gene Stupnitsky (Bad Teacher)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: ABC Studios/Kaplan Entertainment
Single-camera

Drama:

-- Betrayal: A beautiful but unhappily married female photographer begins a torrid affair with a lawyer for a powerful family. When he turns out to be defending a murder suspect who is being prosecuted by her husband, the relationship and the case begin a spiraling series of betrayals with cataclysmic results for everyone involved.
Written by: David Zabel (ER)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: ABC Studios

-- The Returned: What happens when the people you have mourned and buried suddenly appear on your doorstep as if not a day's gone by? The lives of the people of Aurora are forever changed when their deceased loved ones return.
Written by: Aaron Zelman (Criminal Minds)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: ABC Studios/Brillstein Entertainment/Plan B

-- Venice: A soap about the haves and the have-not's of California’s most seductive city, Venice. The drama will focus on two rival families and a forbidden and dangerous romance emerging between them as the two families battle for control of Venice.
Written by: Byron Balasco (Without a Trace)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: Warner Bros. Television/Wonderland Sound and Vision

CBS:

Comedy:

-- Friends With Better Lives: A group of thirtysomething friends who each think the other has it better.
Written by: Dana Klein (Friends)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: 20th Television/Kapital Entertainment
Multicamera

Drama:

-- Backstrom: Based on the Swedish book series about an overweight, offensive, irascible detective as he tries, and fails, to change his self-destructive behavior.
Written by: Hart Hanson (Bones)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: 20th Television

-- Beverly Hills Cop: Continuation of the movie franchise, centered around Axel Foley’s police officer son, who takes down the criminal elements of the rich and famous in Beverly Hills.
Written by: Shawn Ryan (The Shield)
Starring: Brandon T. Jackson, Eddie Murphy as Axel Foley
Produced by: Sony Pictures Television/MiddKid Productions

Fox:

Comedy:

-- Friends & Family: Based on the BBC series Gavin & Stacey, friends and family are the best support and the worst nightmare when two very different lovers meet and try to make a long distance relationship work.
Written by: David Rosen (I Just Want My Pants Back)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: Sony Pictures Television/BBC Worldwide Productions/Baby Cow Productions
Single Camera

-- House Rules: Revolves around an introverted, neurotic Wisconsin family that lives in a community of over-sharers.
Written by: Justin Hurwitz (FX's The League) & Andrew Gurland (The Last Exorcism Part II)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: 20th Television/Principato-Young
Single Camera

-- To My Assistant: Based on the blog and upcoming book To My Assistant, by Lydia Whitlock, the comedy revolves around assistants at a big New York law firm who band together as a family to help each other cope with the obnoxious overbearing bosses who challenge their sanity on a daily basis.
Written by: Sherry Bilsing-Graham & Ellen Kreamer (Friends)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: Warner Bros. Television/Lin Pictures
Single Camera

-- Untitled Justin Halpern/Patrick Schumacker Project: Based on Justin Halpern's book I Suck at Girls, it's a story about a boy becoming a man, and a man becoming a father, in a time before coming of age was something you could Google.
Cast:
Written by: Justin Halpern (S#*! My Dad Says) & Patrick Schumacker (S#*! My Dad Says)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: Warner Bros. Television/Doozer Productions
Single Camera

Drama:

-- Delirium: Based on best-selling trilogy about a world where love is deemed illegal and is able to be eradicated with a special procedure. With 95 days to go until her scheduled treatment, Lena Holoway does the unthinkable: she falls in love.
Written by: Karyn Usher (Prison Break, Bones)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: 20th Television/Chernin Entertainment

-- The List: When members of the Federal Witness Security Program start getting killed, U.S. Marshal Dan Shaker leads the hunt for the person who stole “the list” – a file with the identities of every member of the program.
Written by: Paul Zbyszewski (Lost, Hawaii Five-0, Daybreak)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: 20th Television

-- Rake: Greg Kinnear stars as a brilliant but self-destructive criminal defense lawyer named Keegan Joye in a drama based on the Australian series of the same name.
Written by: Peter Duncan (creator of the Australian version)
Director:
Starring: Greg Kinnear as Keegan Joye
Produced by: Sony Pictures Television/Fedora Entertainment/Essential Media & Entertainment

-- Sleepy Hollow: A modern-day supernatural thriller based on the legend of Sleepy Hollow.
Written by: Alex Kurtzman (Fringe), Bob Orci (Fringe) & Phil Iscove
Director: Len Wiseman (Total Recall)
Starring:
Produced by: 20th Television/K/O Paper Products

NBC:

Comedy:

-- Untitled Sean Hayes Project: Centers on Sean (Hayes), a guy who must figure out how to parent his 14-year-old daughter -- who just moved in -- while juggling a temperamental new boss at work.
Written by: Victor Fresco (Better Off Ted)
Director
Starring: Sean Hayes as Sean
Produced by: Universal Television/Hazy Mills
Multi Camera

Drama:

-- Untitled Rand Ravich Project: Washington, D.C.-set drama about an idealistic secret service agent who finds himself at the epicenter of an international crisis on his first day on the job
Written by: Rand Ravich (Life)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: 20th Century Fox Television

And that's it! Updating OP!

Yeah.. that returning of dead people from Aurora.. bad timing. Name change definitely on the way.

Also.. I get the attempt at being Clever with fighting over Venice.. but there is absolutely nothing seductive about that city. At all.

Novid

Banned
To do a TV series on a 20 year old movie franchise is fucking god damn reach Moonves...you so fucking the god damn frightend that 6 Degrees of fucking awesomeness kicked all your "dramaz" to the gutter where it belongs.

As for ABC? Aurora? GTFOWTNS. SERIOUSLY. MOTHEFUCKING BULLSHIT.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Having read through this thread for the first time, I don't have much faith for next season. I know it's hard to tell from just a synopsis but most of these shows sound horrible.

I'd love it if Eddie Murphy actually was a regular cast member on that BHC show but the chances of that happening are slim to none.

The guy who played Alpa Chino in Tropic Thunder was cast as Axel Foley's son, so the chances for good hijinks are pretty good.

Novid

Banned
Look at the rest of the pliots posted here and some from Deadline... better hope some of the midseasons this year catch fire.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
34-year-old woman wakes up from coma, discovers she has teen daughter.

Son sees family get closer after mom and blind dad divorce.

Ensemble comedy about group of friends that survive plane crash.

LOL SO FUNNY

NBC drama pilot order: THE SIXTH GUN. Based on the supernatural western graphic novel. @CarltonCuse EP; Ryan Conda writer. Uni TV.

That sounds pretty interes- Oh Carlton Cuse is attached never mind.

-- The Returned: What happens when the people you have mourned and buried suddenly appear on your doorstep as if not a day's gone by? The lives of the people of Aurora are forever changed when their deceased loved ones return.
Director:
Starring:

Umm...

What

The

Fuck

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's not Aurora, CO. It's the name of the town in the book that the property is based off of.

Yeah, I mean, I didn't think it was an actual reference, just a really unfortunate coincidence.

TripOpt55

Katims is doing a comedy? I hope he still plans to make me cry like with his other shows. Some of these others interest me a bit (I mean as much as they can with this amount of info).

BluWacky

-- Pulling: The story of three dysfunctional women in their 30s living their lives the way they want, even if society tells them they should have it all figured out by this point.
Cast:
Written by: Lee Eisenberg (Bad Teacher) & Gene Stupnitsky (Bad Teacher)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: ABC Studios/Kaplan Entertainment
Single-camera

This is based on a cult British sitcom by Sharon Horgan (star of the original British version of Free Agents) and Dennis Kelly (well respected playwright). It was very, VERY black comedy - all of the characters were utterly hateful. I will be very interested to see how this one turns out.

Director:
Starring:

It's Babylon Fields, literally back from the dead (or pilot season a few years ago!). Also a very similar plot to Revival, a current pretty good comic series that Image are publishing.

Comedy:

-- Friends & Family: Based on the BBC series Gavin & Stacey, friends and family are the best support and the worst nightmare when two very different lovers meet and try to make a long distance relationship work.
Written by: David Rosen (I Just Want My Pants Back)
Director:
Starring:
Produced by: Sony Pictures Television/BBC Worldwide Productions/Baby Cow Productions
Single Camera

Gavin & Stacey is like the opposite of Pulling - it's "cosy", safe comedy. I wonder where they'll pull the different families from for the US version?

-- Untitled Sean Hayes Project: Centers on Sean (Hayes), a guy who must figure out how to parent his 14-year-old daughter -- who just moved in -- while juggling a temperamental new boss at work.
Written by: Victor Fresco (Better Off Ted)
Director
Starring: Sean Hayes as Sean
Produced by: Universal Television/Hazy Mills
Multi Camera

VICTOR FRESCO!!!!!!!!

I hope it's good.

ivysaur12

Banned
plz stop

CW:

@franklinavenue
CW drama pilot: COMPANY TOWN. Scandal at Va. Navy base divides military and civilian families. Sera Gamble writer, Taylor Hackford director.

‏@franklinavenue
CW drama pilot: THE SELECTION. Reworked from last year. Hunger Games-esque; competition 300 years from now. Elizabeth Craft/Sarah Fain EPs.

If at first you don't succeed...

NBC:

@franklinavenue
NBC comedy pilot: WELCOME TO THE FAMILY. White and Latino families bond after their kids elope. Mike Sikowitz writer. Sony TV.

-- Dracula: Dracula comes to London, posing as an American entrepreneur that wants to bring modern science to the Victorian city. However, in reality Dracula actually wishes to seek revenge on those who did him wrong centuries earlier. When Dracula finally thinks everything is in place, he falls hopelessly in love with a woman who is seemingly a reincarnation of his deceased wife.

NO. NO NO NO. NONONONONONO. Couldn't they at least read the damn book and work from there instead of trying to spring something off the Coppola movie plot? Also, Blacula did the "vampire falls for woman who is seemingly a reincarnation of his dead wife" story first.

Ahem. Anyways, I like that Geena Davis bounty hunter concept, only because I loved Long Kiss Goodnight and Cutthroat Island.

And as much as I like Kal Penn getting work, my first thought about Ex Men was that it was going to be a very insensitive comedy about transwomen.

ivysaur12

Banned
@franklinavenue
CBS comedy pilot: BAD TEACHER. Based on the movie. Hilary Winston writer. Sony TV.

Single camera. Second Happy Endings writer to get a pilot this season.

‏@franklinavenue
CBS drama pilot: THE ADVOCATES. Female lawyer and male ex-con are "victim advocates." Bruno Heller writer. Warner Bros.

ivysaur12

Banned
-- David Nutter (Arrow) will direct/EP CBS's The Advocates. 17 of the last 18 pilots he directed went to series

OP updated fully. Go crazy, kids.

Terry Crews to co-star in the Andy Samberg cop pilot from the Parks & Recreation team. So basically, YES.

ianlaughnbuv8.gif

tmarques

tumblr_m7qm5eTTdJ1rcnl4bo2_250.gif

So Jessica Simpson is alive? Talent was never there, face was always meh, body was shot to hell and back last time I checked and whatever fans she had must have long moved on. Who exactly would think investing on this pilot is a good idea? Except maybe her pimp... er, father.

Novid

Banned
im sorry but i hate to burst any entertainment investers bubble but Les Moonves isnt getting Sony/Animax/Aniplex/Pictures any the fuck time soon. ere, the man who would be king got no fucking clothes on and is poor as a fucking church mouse. And Kaz is doing his netflix killer so good luck trying Les, your lovable idiot bastard you...

ivysaur12

Banned
Fox has greenlighted two more single-camera comedy pilots: Enlisted, from Cougar Town co-creator Kevin Biegel, and Two Wrongs, from feature writer Michelle Morgan. Both projects hail from 20th TV.
Enlisted, which originally landed at Fox with penalty, is based on Biegel’s relationship with his siblings and follows three very different brothers working together in the Army at a small base in Florida. Biegel is writing/executive producing the project with Mike Royce (Men Of A Certain Age, 1600 Penn), stemming from a blind script deal 20th TV had with Biegel. Biegel co-created Cougar Town with Bill Lawrence. He served as a co-executive producer in the first season and executive producer in Seasons 2 and 3. He segued to a consulting role on the show after its move to TBS and Lawrence’s departure as showrunner to focus on development. Before Cougar Town, UTA-repped Biegel worked on Lawrence’s medical comedy Scrubs.
Two Wrongs, co-produced by Chernin Entertainment, is a relationship comedy about a couple whose friends and family don’t think they are right for each other. Morgan is writing the script and executive producing with Peter Chernin, Katherine Pope and Aaron Kaplan & Sean Perrone of Kaplan Perrone Entertainment. UTA-repped Morgan, who started off as an actress and recurred on NBC’s American Dreams, wrote the screenplay for the Kristen Wiig-starrer Imogene, which will premiere at the Toronto Film Festival. She also is writing screenplay Shining City for Warner Bros and producer Donald De Line.

I'll update the OP. Cougar Town creators both with pilots at Fox.

ivysaur12

Banned
MORE PILOTS! Fox should be done with their drama orders. NBC should almost be done with their comedy orders:

Fox:

@franklinavenue
Fox drama pilot: BOOMERANG. Centers on a family of assassins. Davey Holmes writer; John Wells EP. Warner Bros.

@franklinavenue
Fox drama pilot: Untitled J.J. Abrams/J.H. Wyman buddy cop show set in future, when LAPD officers are partnered with androids.

NBC:

@franklinavenue
NBC comedy pilot: Untitled show based on stand-up John Mulaney's life. Multi-cam ensemble comedy. Lorne Michaels EP. Uni TV/3 Arts/Broadway.

@franklinavenue
NBC comedy pilot: UNDATEABLE. Multi-cam about friends who befriend someone more confident. Adam Sztykiel writer. Bill Lawrence @VDOOZER EP.

‏@franklinavenue
NBC drama pilot: BELIEVE. Man out of prison protects a young girl with a powerful gift. Alfonso Cuaron, Mark Friedman writers. JJ Abrams EP.

Adam Sztykiel is the best. He's also a handsome as hell:

bcarNFy.jpg

Snake

ivysaur12 said:
@franklinavenue
NBC drama pilot: BELIEVE. Man out of prison protects a young girl with a powerful gift. Alfonso Cuaron, Mark Friedman writers. JJ Abrams EP.

I can already see the GAF edits of the opening titles.

ivysaur12

Banned
CW:

@TVGuideMagazine
CW drama pilot: REIGN. Mary Queen of Scots' rise to power when she arrives in France at age 15. Stephanie Sengupta, Laurie McCarthy writers.

@TVGuideMagazine
CW drama pilot: OXYGEN. Alien kids integrated into high school 10 years after they land. Human, alien fall in love. Meredith Averill writer.

@TVGuideMagazine
CW drama pilot: THE HUNDRED. Based on books about 100 juvenile delinquents re-colonizing earth 97 years after nuke war. W: Jason Rothenberg

ABC:

@TVGuideMagazine
ABC comedy pilot: SPY. To impress his smart son, man inadvertently takes a job with Secret Service. Simeon Goulden writer, based on UK show.

@TVGuideMagazine
ABC comedy pilot: Untitled single-cam about a single mom who moves back in with her ex-pro baseball player dad. Mark & Robb Cullen writers.

Everyone take a shot.

ivysaur12

Banned
BASED KYLE KILLEN OMFG!

Lone Star and Awake creator Kyle Killen has received a pilot order by ABC for his latest drama project, Influence. The network also has given the green light to Killer Women, a soupy procedural written by Hannah Shakespeare and produced by Modern Family star Sofia Vergara, Ben Silverman and director Martin Campbell.

Influence, from 20th Century Fox TV where Killen is under a deal, is described as a provocative workplace ensemble centered on the complicated relationship between two brothers — a bipolar genius in human psychology and a slick ex-con — who head a unique agency designed to solve their clients’ problems using the real science of human motivation and manipulation. In addition to helping their clients, the agency’s staff sometime turn their powers to pull strings on one another. Killen is the writer/executive producer. Influence, which had a put pilot commitment, marks a departure from Killen’s previous two series projects, Fox’s Lone Star and NBC’s Awake, which both had very complex, non-linear narratives as they centered on protagonists living dual lives. Still, Killen kept a duality element in his new show too, making one of the main characters bipolar.

Killer Women, from ABC Studios, is based on the Argentine series Mujeres Asesinas. It centers on Molly Parker, the only woman in the notoriously male Texas Rangers — a ballsy, beautiful badass who knows how to get to the truth and isn’t afraid to ruffle a few feathers on her way there. Shakespeare wrote the script and is executive producing with Vergara, Silverman and Luis Balaguer, Vergara’s producing partner at Latin World Entertainment.

Busty

Banned
@TVGuideMagazine
CW drama pilot: REIGN. Mary Queen of Scots' rise to power when she arrives in France at age 15. Stephanie Sengupta, Laurie McCarthy writers.

LULZ as the young people say.

Top Bottom