• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Henchmen21
Banned
(08-15-2015, 11:49 PM)
Henchmen21's Avatar
Anyone else watching this? Started watching this about a month or so back and fell in love. Basically it was Matt Mercer and a few of his voice acting friends started playing it in their spare time 2yrs ago and recently this year started streaming it for Geek&Sundry's Twitch. Makes me want to play.

Link to past episodes

They live stream on Thursday's (this past thursday had guests Wil Wheaton & Will Friedle) at 7pm Pacific.

edit for cast list:

Matt Mercer: DM
Liam O'Brian: Vax'ildan; Half-Elf Rogue
Laura Bailey: Vex'ahlia; Half-Elf Ranger with Trinket the bear
Travis Willingham: Grog; Goliath Barbarian
Ashley Johnson: Pike; Gnome Cleric (currently not in group since Ashley is in NY filming a tv show)
Sam Riegel: Scanlan Shorthalt; Gnome Bard
Marisha Ray: Keyleth; Half-Elf Druid
Orion Acaba: Tiberius Stormwind; Dragonborn Sorcerer
Talissan Jaffe: Percy *too long a name to post here*; Human Gunslinger (ported over class from when they were playing Pathfinder)
Xero
Member
(08-15-2015, 11:59 PM)
Xero's Avatar
I watch a few geek and sundry programs but haven't watched this yet. That being said laura bailey is extremely attractive, and I've been tempted to watch just for her.
benicillin
Banned
(08-16-2015, 12:36 AM)
Before this year I had never played D&D or had any interest in tabletop RPGs, but man oh man did Critical Role change that. Probably one of the coolest things I've ever watched online, Matt Mercer (the DM) is a fantastic storyteller and everyone who plays in their campaign does a great job roleplaying their character and getting into the story.

They've been running this game for a few years now and just started streaming it earlier this year and it's been a great success and everyone involved is really great to interact with. Got me to sub to G&S in a heartbeat. Highly recommended.
LuffyZoro
Member
(08-16-2015, 12:38 AM)
LuffyZoro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Xero

I watch a few geek and sundry programs but haven't watched this yet. That being said laura bailey is extremely attractive, and I've been tempted to watch just for her.

Titansgrave on Geek and Sundry is pretty great and she's in that too.
styl3s
Member
(08-16-2015, 12:39 AM)
styl3s's Avatar

Originally Posted by benicillin

Before this year I had never played D&D or had any interest in tabletop RPGs, but man oh man did Critical Role change that. Probably one of the coolest things I've ever watched online, Matt Mercer (the DM) is a fantastic storyteller and everyone who plays in their campaign does a great job roleplaying their character and getting into the story.

They've been running this game for a few years now and just started streaming it earlier this year and it's been a great success and everyone involved is really great to interact with. Got me to sub to G&S in a heartbeat. Highly recommended.

It really makes me want to get together some online friends and run a game via Skype.

This and the board game stuff Wheaton does made me sub
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(08-16-2015, 12:39 AM)
Jintor's Avatar
Persona d&d? I'm into that
Sobriquet
Member
(08-16-2015, 12:39 AM)
Sobriquet's Avatar
My wife is addicted to this
benicillin
Banned
(08-16-2015, 12:42 AM)

Originally Posted by styl3s

It really makes me want to get together some online friends and run a game via Skype.

This and the board game stuff Wheaton does made me sub

Around the same time that I found CR one of my friends asked me to join his Numenera campaign on roll20, which is like a virtual pen and paper rpg platform. Numenera is new so not as many people play it, but it's been an amazing experience. So much fun. I'm totally hooked now can't recommend getting a group together enough.
Pilgrimzero
Member
(08-16-2015, 12:51 AM)
Pilgrimzero's Avatar
roll20.net is a good site to play online D&D with friends. Has audio and video for the players are well as virtual maps etc.

As for Critical Role. Great fun to watch but in all my years of playing D&D have I rarely seen people RP that much. Most people want to play "themselves" as opposed to whatever race/class/alignment they are.

My current game with long time friends, its more joking and rolling dice then RPing.

And nothing wrong with that just IMO it's rare to find a group of actual roleplayers.
HP_Wuvcraft
Banned
(08-16-2015, 12:54 AM)
HP_Wuvcraft's Avatar
I never knew this is the one thing I've always wanted.
Henchmen21
Banned
(08-16-2015, 03:33 AM)
Henchmen21's Avatar
G&S Twitch is replaying this last thursday's ep right now. It's half way in though
Switch Back 9
a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
(08-16-2015, 03:40 AM)
Switch Back 9's Avatar

Originally Posted by Xero

I watch a few geek and sundry programs but haven't watched this yet. That being said laura bailey is extremely attractive, and I've been tempted to watch just for her.

I'm interviewing her for my magazine on Wednesday, I'll let her know :)
Busaiku
Member
(08-16-2015, 03:45 AM)
Busaiku's Avatar
I think this is what I always wanted.
Nappuccino
Member
(08-16-2015, 03:46 AM)
Nappuccino's Avatar
That seems like a really big crew--are they all in the same game?
Henchmen21
Banned
(08-16-2015, 03:49 AM)
Henchmen21's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nappuccino

That seems like a really big crew--are they all in the same game?

Yes. As stated up above though, Ashley is off in NY filming a tv show and hasn't been there since last month.
DJ_Lae
Member
(08-16-2015, 03:54 AM)
DJ_Lae's Avatar
Looks like fun.

I have a terrible, terrible weakness for anything Laura Bailey.
Lyonaz
Member
(08-16-2015, 04:32 AM)
Lyonaz's Avatar
Yeah I love watching some G&S programs, Tabletop, Spellslingers, Co-optitude and TitansGrave. They're fun.

I remember watching the first D&D/RPG they played on Tabletop based on Dragon Age, stuff was hilarious and pretty interesting to watch.

Part 1
Part 2
LaserBuddha
(08-16-2015, 04:39 AM)
LaserBuddha's Avatar
That apostrophe in the thread title is vexing me.

Just wanted to stop in and thank you for that, OP.
Nappuccino
Member
(08-16-2015, 04:43 AM)
Nappuccino's Avatar

Originally Posted by Henchmen21

Yes. As stated up above though, Ashley is off in NY filming a tv show and hasn't been there since last month.

Jeeze. We ran a game with 6 people once, and that was difficult enough.
ChubbyHuggs
Member
(08-16-2015, 04:48 AM)
ChubbyHuggs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lyonaz

Yeah I love watching some G&S programs, Tabletop, Spellslingers, Co-optitude and TitansGrave. They're fun.

I remember watching the first D&D/RPG they played on Tabletop based on Dragon Age, stuff was hilarious and pretty interesting to watch.

Part 1
Part 2

That's such a weird combo of people...
Sou Da
Member
(08-16-2015, 04:50 AM)
Sou Da's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lyonaz

Yeah I love watching some G&S programs, Tabletop, Spellslingers, Co-optitude and TitansGrave. They're fun.

I remember watching the first D&D/RPG they played on Tabletop based on Dragon Age, stuff was hilarious and pretty interesting to watch.

Part 1
Part 2

Good lord the birds in this game.
Henchmen21
Banned
(08-16-2015, 04:53 AM)
Henchmen21's Avatar

Originally Posted by LaserBuddha

That apostrophe in the thread title is vexing me.

Just wanted to stop in and thank you for that, OP.

Your welcome ;)

Didn't realize it till you posted about it just now
cyclonekruse
Member
(08-16-2015, 05:01 AM)
I caught an episode on YouTube and fell in love with it. Now a subscriber just to support it.

Mercer puts me to absolute shame as a DM. But watching has also shown me some things to make my game better.
Trojita
Rapid Response Threadmaker
(08-16-2015, 05:03 AM)
Trojita's Avatar
Started watching, it's pretty fun :D
Sami+
Member
(08-16-2015, 05:10 AM)
Sami+'s Avatar
I really wish they had a podcast version. I love listening to GT's Tabletop Adventures when I'm at work.
Megasoum
Banned
(08-16-2015, 05:15 AM)
Megasoum's Avatar
lol reminds me of this classic Québec D&D spoof video from like 10 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCWOCPxPmus
Grexeno
Member
(08-16-2015, 05:34 AM)
Grexeno's Avatar
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Froli
Member
(08-16-2015, 05:56 AM)
Froli's Avatar
Matt Mercer with his voice acting skills and improvisation is fucking amazing. After watching all episodes so far, IMO He is perhaps the best Dungeon Master out there

God tier DM.
Capella
Member
(08-16-2015, 06:10 AM)
I'm only on episode two and hopefully I can catch up on all of the episodes so I can start watching it when it streams. I'm loving this so far and Matt Mercer is a great DM.
Henchmen21
Banned
(08-17-2015, 11:16 PM)
Henchmen21's Avatar
Episode 20 is now up on the G&S website
Maximo
Member
(08-17-2015, 11:57 PM)
Maximo's Avatar
Fuck yeah subscribing to this thread, loooonve Critical Roles been getting into DnD over the last few months and this has been not only a great deal of amusement but also loosely helps in knowing how to play and how to DM. Currently learning to DM cause while I love my mate he's not that great at it :p Matt's such a huge inspiration.
Henchmen21
Banned
(08-20-2015, 04:44 AM)
Henchmen21's Avatar

Originally Posted by Maximo

Fuck yeah subscribing to this thread, loooonve Critical Roles been getting into DnD over the last few months and this has been not only a great deal of amusement but also loosely helps in knowing how to play and how to DM. Currently learning to DM cause while I love my mate he's not that great at it :p Matt's such a huge inspiration.

Problem is that DM's like Matt are exceedingly rare.
Subitai
Member
(08-20-2015, 06:01 PM)
Subitai's Avatar
Watching the voice actors slip into their characters so smoothly is definitely entertaining.
Kasumin
Member
(08-20-2015, 09:01 PM)
Kasumin's Avatar
Started watching this 2 months or so ago. I'm already a fan of quite a few of these voice actors from their various game roles, so being able to watch them every week is awesome.

Matt Mercer is an amazing DM as well. The crazy amount of detail in the world and all of the quests he comes up with are amazing. Also, he plays all the NPCs and it's pretty hilarious. He's really, really passionate about D&D.

I got to see Laura Bailey and Travis Willingham at Otakon this year and asked them about it. It was pretty great!

I highly recommend giving this a watch, even if you aren't into D&D. The way everyone plays their characters is just amazing.
CBTech
Member
(08-20-2015, 09:15 PM)
CBTech's Avatar
I am instantly interested in this due to Liam O'Brian. He is one of my favorite voice actors.
Shaanyboi
Banned
(08-20-2015, 09:17 PM)
Sounds fun! Excited to listen to this.
benicillin
Banned
(08-20-2015, 09:19 PM)
They'll be playing tonight @ 7pm PST with Wil Wheaton and Will Friedle (you might know him as Eric from Boy Meets World.) Wil Wheaton, of course, has the worst dice rolls in history so I expect shenanigans. Also cool that they got a shout-out in a Polygon article about the resurgence of DnD earlier today :D
Henchmen21
Banned
(08-20-2015, 09:23 PM)
Henchmen21's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shaanyboi

Sounds fun! Excited to listen to this.

It's a video not a podcast so you can do more than just listen

Originally Posted by benicillin

They'll be playing tonight @ 7pm PST with Wil Wheaton and Will Friedle (you might know him as Eric from Boy Meets World.) Wil Wheaton, of course, has the worst dice rolls in history so I expect shenanigans. Also cool that they got a shout-out in a Polygon article about the resurgence of DnD earlier today :D

I fully expect Wil to TPK his entire party along with somehow the other party retroactively with his dice roles.
Megalosaro
Banned
(08-20-2015, 09:29 PM)
He is great on it. Originally they started playing together as a birthday thing for him

Scanlon and Tiberius best characters.
MSScaeva
Junior Member
(08-20-2015, 09:57 PM)
MSScaeva's Avatar
I need to make time to catch up to this show. I watched a bit of the first episode when it first started but never picked it back up again. I usually watch Rollplay for my tabletop RPG fix, but I'm sure I can fit in another show.
Kasumin
Member
(08-20-2015, 10:06 PM)
Kasumin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Megalosaro

Scanlon and Tiberius best characters.

Don't forget Grog!
Maximo
Member
(08-20-2015, 10:11 PM)
Maximo's Avatar
Wil must have pissed off some angry god in his life never known someone to roll so low before, it's a beautiful trainwreck.
Sera O
Banned
(08-20-2015, 10:33 PM)
I started watching this show not thinking I would be interested, but it really is great and the actors are really into it. I just listen to it like it's a podcast while I'm doing other stuff sometimes.

Matt Mercer is a great DM. He is excellent at creating vivid places and NPCs. I was impressed as I watched it, having never played before. The show inspired me to find people to play with, and now that I have, I am even more blown away by him. He elevates it to a level that ruins you for other DMs, and he makes it look easy.
Megalosaro
Banned
(08-20-2015, 11:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Kasumin

Don't forget Grog!

I would like to rage please.
Henchmen21
Banned
(08-21-2015, 02:21 AM)
Henchmen21's Avatar
Less than 2hrs till new Crit Role.
MrToughPants
Brian Burke punched my mom
(08-21-2015, 02:47 AM)
MrToughPants's Avatar
WTF Marisha Ray looks just like my ex..
Henchmen21
Banned
(08-21-2015, 03:36 AM)
Henchmen21's Avatar
25mins. They're setting it up on the twitch right now.
Subitai
Member
(08-21-2015, 05:48 PM)
Subitai's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrToughPants

WTF Marisha Ray looks just like my ex..

Sorry man.

Also, hope your ban is short.
Henchmen21
Banned
(08-25-2015, 01:00 AM)
Henchmen21's Avatar
Last thurs. episode is up on the G&S website
Henchmen21
Banned
(08-27-2015, 06:47 AM)
Henchmen21's Avatar
Won't be able to watch tomorrow's episode sadly.

Thread Tools