(06-07-2016, 05:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Carl

Hey, no ads on mobile at all! :p

Aw they came back

Confirming.
turnbuckle
(06-07-2016, 05:32 AM)

Originally Posted by CreeperBlocks

There's this werid thing happening on mobile with the Google chrome app. Every time I go to a new page on GAF the page goes white and I have to keep refreshing to continue. I don't know if this is because of this test or something else entirely. On IOS btw. Only does it for me on Chrome on IOS and not Safari.

Happening to me on chrome on Android 6.0.1
LookAtMeGo
(06-07-2016, 05:32 AM)

Originally Posted by CreeperBlocks

There's this werid thing happening on mobile with the Google chrome app. Every time I go to a new page on GAF the page goes white and I have to keep refreshing to continue. I don't know if this is because of this test or something else entirely. On IOS btw. Only does it for me on Chrome on IOS and not Safari.

Yeah, I'm getting the same thing. Another gaffer I talked to is experiencing the white screen everywhere except the off topic main page. Same as I am.
Gromph
This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
(06-07-2016, 05:33 AM)

Originally Posted by LookAtMeGo

Yeah, I'm getting the same thing. Another gaffer I talked to is experiencing the white screen everywhere except the off topic main page. Same as I am.

That part is fixed.

I can't reproduce anymore.
PtM
Banned
(06-07-2016, 05:35 AM)
Ya, haven't had blanks since the fix.
LookAtMeGo
(06-07-2016, 05:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Gromph

That part is fixed.

I can't reproduce anymore.

Beautiful. Thanks. Working now.
MrToughPants
Brian Burke punched my mom
(06-07-2016, 05:37 AM)
No issues on chrome mobile here 6.0.1
Strangelove77
(06-07-2016, 05:40 AM)
Looks like the white screen thing is fixed. I'm also getting ads every time now.
NeOak
(06-07-2016, 05:45 AM)

Originally Posted by PtM

I often get no ads. Also white blanks at times, have to reload to get rid of them. Once or twice there was an ad on a blank page. After sending this post I had an especially persistent blank, had to reload multiple times.

Mobile Safari it is.

Same about no ads sometimes, but my browser is an unicorn (Edge on Windows 10 Mobile/Phone Redstone beta)
CTLance
(06-07-2016, 06:13 AM)
Thanks for that. Hopefully this will allow you guys to kick out all those advertisers that give people trouble. Nicely done, EviLore and team! :D

Edit: Oh wait. I have encountered the white page bug as well, as recently as five minutes ago, on Opera on ios7 on my iPad 2 (with Opera in Mini mode). Chalked it up to being a bug in Opera though. Still, maybe that helps narrowing it down. Moving the page a bit by dragging downwards or upwards often fixes the problem and displays the page (which is why I was pinning it on Opera rather than the page).
Last edited by CTLance; 06-07-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Icanplaythat
(06-07-2016, 06:26 AM)

Originally Posted by Dali

It's not really a "bad ad" issue but on mobile the bottom ads seem to annoyingly take the focus so instead of loading and displaying the top of a page, it'll load then quickly jump to the bottom of the page to show me the ad.

I've experienced this for a couple of days now.
DietRob
i've been begging for over 5 years.
(06-07-2016, 06:55 AM)
Good deal it's nice to be able to have a way to report bad ads instead of needing to create a new thread about whatever the annoying ad is. Also good to hear that regardless the ad quality will get better. GAF is already extremely ad lean compared to other sites.
Pokemaniac
(06-07-2016, 07:09 AM)

Originally Posted by EviLore

Yeah this is obviously a Bad Thing for user experience and doesn't seem to happen in all mobile browsing environments. Part of it probably has to do with how the ads load asynchronously so that the content is not prevented from loading even if the ads take a while longer to show up (i.e. less than instantly). Some mobile browsers might be handling this in wonky ways by going "OH LOOK! NEW STUFF!" and then shifting focus to the bottom ad when it finishes loading because of that.

Will continue to investigate how to address this prob. Sorry for the trouble there.

From what I've observed (running Firefox on my Android 6.0 phone), this seems to be mainly caused by ads which contain text boxes which immediately draw focus to themselves once loaded. By putting the keyboard focus on their textboxes, they seem to cause the browser to scroll down to them as well.
SixFourMike
(06-07-2016, 07:12 AM)
This is good. I wish I'd know about it yesterday when I was (for the second time in about a week, but if never happened before that) a redirect ad that redirected so many times. Actually, I just gave up and closed the tab as disabling some stuff then clicking back through them all would have taken longer than loading a new tab, but I'll keep this in mind next time.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-07-2016, 07:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Pokemaniac

From what I've observed (running Firefox on my Android 6.0 phone), this seems to be mainly caused by ads which contain text boxes which immediately draw focus to themselves once loaded. By putting the keyboard focus on their textboxes, they seem to cause the browser to scroll down to them as well.

Hmm, if that's how they're going about it, the tricksy hobbitses, that sounds like it might be a tough one to prevent from happening while keeping ad loads asynchronous to the page content. Synchronous ad loads would probably prevent that, but would make the site content load at the same speed the ads do, which could slow things down by several seconds in some cases and is not a good solution. Might be possible to override via some clever js on our end, like a script wrapper around the unit specifically disabling that type of call or a page-wide conditional disabling any changes in focus from default? I'll keep on the situation, talk with my team and see if I can figure out a solution there.

Ugh, the ad industry...
Elessar
(06-07-2016, 07:28 AM)
Been getting Uber ads in chinese (for some reason) that take up a third of my screen, can't be closed and keep redirecting me to the App Store on iOS.

Screenshot I took a week back.

But yeah, thanks for the tool. Will report stuff like this.
kavanf1
(06-07-2016, 08:09 AM)
Thanks for looking into this. Most ads I don't mind but there is one particularly obnoxious ad on mobile that comes up as an alert message, activates vibrate continuously, and the only way to exit from it is to shut the browser. I haven't had an issue with the page-covering ads. About the worst aside from the above is when the page jumps due to an ad loading late, so you end up accidentally clicking on it instead of the link you wanted.
Last edited by kavanf1; 06-07-2016 at 08:11 AM.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(06-07-2016, 08:09 AM)
this thread made me notice that I wasn't getting any ads on my normal desktop safari. Turns out Adblock plus had blocked gaf. I just did a new install of windows and chrome added ABP automatically when I signed in, but I assumed it should have carried across my settings which whitelisted gaf?

anyway, sorted now.
The Real Abed
Perma-Junior
(06-07-2016, 09:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Pokemaniac

Yes, THIS is annoying. It's usually for some probably-a-scam "who is searching for you?" company. I believe those things are as real as the stupid "See who is stalking your FaceBook profile even though FaceBook literally doesn't record that information let alone make it available to the public so there's no way this is real but we're going to pick a dozen random friends from your list to make it seem like it is!" apps people used to fall for all the time.
Enter The 36 Chambers
(06-07-2016, 09:29 AM)
Couple days ago I got an ad on mobile that followed the page as I scrolled down through a thread. Can't remember what it was for, but the bottom inch or so of the screen was obscured and stayed there no matter where I scrolled up or down even though there was ads at the top and bottom of the page. Kind of a annoying, haven't seen it since however.
Xe4
(06-07-2016, 10:44 AM)
Thanks for this. This is why GAF is my favorite forum, the mods and staff listen to complaints and try to fix them. Mobile ads were atrocious for a long while and I'm sure this will go a long way to fixing them. One can hope : )

FYI having Avira mobile security disables ads, at least on my laptop. Not a big deal cause I use mobile 99% of the time anyhow, just thought it was worth checking into. I emailed a mod (Evilore I think? Probably not the best choice) a while back but never got a response; probably got buried under all the PM's he probably gets or it didn't send.
Last edited by Xe4; 02-03-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Thorgal
(06-07-2016, 11:18 AM)
So how much more expensive will Our Gaf gold subscription become to fund this new functionality?

I never had a problem with the adds but having it there and not need it is preferable to one day needing it and it not being there.

I am Thorgal and I approve of this function.
M3d10n
(06-07-2016, 11:51 AM)
It never occurred me that a website could use JavaScript to sanitize ads before display. Sounds fair, when we have ads using js to mess with the host page.

Is there some project or something, or is this in-house?
PtM
Banned
(06-07-2016, 11:58 AM)

Originally Posted by M3d10n

It never occurred me that a website could use JavaScript to sanitize ads before display. Sounds fair, when we have ads using js to mess with the host page.

Is there some project or something, or is this in-house?

Why would anyone do that? EviLore just cares. Also, it's not as easy as you describe it, since ads come with their own js that in turn loads additional js and so on.
Elaugaufein
(06-07-2016, 01:03 PM)
Is there some way to report the kind of ad that occurs sometimes (especially on mobiles) that either auto-redirects on load or crashes the browser ? Since you never see those ads its difficult to report them and they are also the worst.

Is there a browser (especially on mobile) that could help to isolate these (eg not redirecting but telling you it was attempted / logging all the URLs from the last page on a crash ) ?
Addnan
(06-07-2016, 02:00 PM)
How to report the ads that start making your phone vibrate and says that my phone is 25% broken or some shit. Have to close browser to make that stop.
rainking187
(06-07-2016, 02:24 PM)
Is something supposed to happen when you tap on "Report this ad"? When I tap on it it doesn't do anything as far as I can tell.
ElectricBlanketFire
Too early for flapjacks?
(06-07-2016, 02:43 PM)

Originally Posted by rainking187

Is something supposed to happen when you tap on "Report this ad"? When I tap on it it doesn't do anything as far as I can tell.

Same. Nothing happens.
rrs
(06-07-2016, 02:47 PM)

Originally Posted by rainking187

worked earlier on mobile today for me for reporting some bait and switch ebaums world ad (they still exist???)
Stupid Sexy Flanders
(06-07-2016, 03:17 PM)
Sometimes (quite rarely) I get a pop up ad that makes my phone vibrate and when I try to go back it takes me straight back to the ad site and have to close my whole browser. Would this stop that or should I try take a screenshot of it and send it to a mod if it happens again?

I would be able to report it because I wouldn't be able to get back to the page.
PtM
Banned
(06-07-2016, 03:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders

Sometimes (quite rarely) I get a pop up ad that makes my phone vibrate and when I try to go back it takes me straight back to the ad site and have to close my whole browser. Would this stop that or should I try take a screenshot of it and send it to a mod if it happens again?

I would be able to report it because I wouldn't be able to get back to the page.

Ya, screenshot that shit.
massoluk
(06-07-2016, 03:50 PM)
This sounds magical
Dr. Feel Good
(06-07-2016, 04:23 PM)
Safari on the most recent iOS and it always forces me down to the bottom ad.
dofry
That's "Dr." dofry to you.
(06-07-2016, 04:23 PM)
Chrome shows ads.
Firefox (46.0.1) shows blank spots for the ads.
Adblock Browser shows the ads.

Edit: clearing cache helped for Firefox.

For all 'report ad' does nothing when i wanted to test that feature.

Android 6.0.1. S6 edge
Last edited by dofry; 06-07-2016 at 04:30 PM.
xxracerxx
(06-07-2016, 05:13 PM)
Needs an option for opens a new window.
Wag
(06-07-2016, 05:23 PM)
Now we'll finally figure out why I'm getting all those penile implant ads...
ROUGE_BLOCK
(06-07-2016, 05:58 PM)
Very nice indeed!
Night Angel
(06-07-2016, 06:15 PM)
The report this ad text is not a link for me on mobile (Chrome).

The only problematic ads I've had recently are the ones with text boxes - they immediately center my screen on the ad instead of the post I was trying to read. Annoying but not the end of the world.

Edit: Speak of the devil lol

Last edited by Night Angel; 06-07-2016 at 06:17 PM.
explodet
(06-07-2016, 06:22 PM)
Is there someone I can PM regarding a suggestion to site code?
Some of the recent changes that were made look a little funny.
TyrantII
(06-07-2016, 06:56 PM)
Good news. I've also noticed an uptick of bad ads on mobile.

Glad to see y'all are on it!
Paganmoon
(06-07-2016, 07:12 PM)
On Microsoft Edge, no ads on top of the page, ads still show on bottom, but don't see this new functionality on it.

Also see no ads on front page (http://www.neogaf.com)

Edit: tested on Edge Mobile, and no ads on top or bottom, but the report this add link is present at least.
Last edited by Paganmoon; 06-07-2016 at 07:21 PM.
CraigerGamer
(06-07-2016, 07:44 PM)
Got to report my 1st ad!

Reported for sexy context.

"Chippendales Shows Nightly. Then shows a half naked male on all 4s with a woman sitting on top of him."

Am I doing this right?
B1G_A1AN
(06-07-2016, 09:37 PM)
Nice one boss.

I have to say that I have not noticed any issues with the adverts, I don't view on mobile so I cannot comment on that, but on Linux Mint FireFox and Win7 Chrome I have not had an issue, the only other way I access is on my Kindle using Silk and that seems ok as well, I don't use AdBlock on sites I use and am a member of, however I don't know if Silk has something built-in.
PtM
Banned
(06-07-2016, 09:53 PM)
Getting no ads on Desktop Ubuntu Firefox.

Dunno if it's of any value, with NoScript activated it instead shows something like this (I have allowed all scripts except facebook): http://pastebin.com/VPWbQL68

Oh hey, I just got once a working ad and another time just a blank.
Last edited by PtM; 06-07-2016 at 10:21 PM.
BreezyLimbo
(06-07-2016, 10:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Night Angel

The report this ad text is not a link for me on mobile (Chrome).

The only problematic ads I've had recently are the ones with text boxes - they immediately center my screen on the ad instead of the post I was trying to read. Annoying but not the end of the world.

Edit: Speak of the devil lol

Yup, having this same problem too in the morning on my phone~
Tathanen
Get Inside Her!
(06-07-2016, 11:30 PM)
Android Chrome, "report this ad" is just text for me, not a link. Or at least, the browser treats it that way, and does nothing on click but highlight the text.
OnionPowder
(06-07-2016, 11:31 PM)
Glad to see this.

Hopefully I never get terrorized from T-Mobile Drake ads again.
Giolon
(06-07-2016, 11:33 PM)
All of this effort to improve the ad quality on the site is much appreciated. I've had bad problems with mobile redirects in the past, such that I've had to block advertising domains at my router level for relief while at home.