• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

digitalrelic
(03-07-2017, 05:51 PM)
Just picked this up on Blu-ray today. Excited to get home & catch it with my daughter.
Mossybrew
(03-07-2017, 06:07 PM)
Just watched it this weekend for the first time and am tending to agree with OP. Wasn't expecting it to be so good.
dude
dude
(03-07-2017, 06:13 PM)
What? Out of all of Disney's recent efforts, this one ranks probably lowest for me. It was a huge disappointment coming after the genius Zootopia.
Last edited by dude; 03-07-2017 at 06:15 PM.
faridmon
(03-07-2017, 06:15 PM)
Zootopia is the best Disney Film there is.

The only aspect I prefer Moana is the visuals, but everything else, Zootopia has done it better.
Skinny Pete
(03-07-2017, 06:18 PM)
It's good it's damn good.
Gravy Boat
(03-07-2017, 06:19 PM)
I actually thought Moana was pretty weak as far as Disney goes. No memorable villain , none of the songs left me whistling them hours or days later, the ending felt really rushed. It was fine but it was no Aladdin.

I still enjoyed it but it wouldn't be top 10 Disney for me I don't think.
Samurai G0SU
(03-07-2017, 06:20 PM)
Absolutely love this movie. My 2 girls enjoy it a lot. That ending song slow mo... phew
FrodoYolo
Banned
(03-07-2017, 06:20 PM)
It's not even the best this decade. Moana is a disappointment both financially and emotionally.
Fancyarcher
(03-07-2017, 06:21 PM)
It's good, but there are certainly several Disney films I prefer over it.

Originally Posted by Gravy Boat

I actually thought Moana was pretty weak as far as Disney goes. No memorable villain , none of the songs left me whistling them hours or days later, the ending felt really rushed. It was fine but it was no Aladdin.

Lacking a memorable villain doesn't it make bad, though. I actually think the decision to not have a specific "evil" antagonist worked in the film's favor, for the most part.
Gravy Boat
(03-07-2017, 06:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Fancyarcher

It's good, but there are certainly several Disney films I prefer over it.

Lacking a memorable villain doesn't it make bad, though. I actually think the decision to not have a specific "evil" antagonist worked in the film's favor, for the most part.

It made it less enjoyable for me. Disney villains are often the best characters.
Doc Holliday
SPOILER: Columbus finds America
(03-07-2017, 06:24 PM)
I liked Zootopia and Tangled more out of the 3d ones.

Lion King, 101 Dalmatians, Pinocchio, Bambi, The Jungle Book and Beauty and the beast are better overall.
TheSkullPrince
(03-07-2017, 06:24 PM)
Nothing will ever top Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, or The Lion King. Or Mulan for that matter.
JesseZao
(03-07-2017, 06:25 PM)

It made it less enjoyable for me. Disney villains are often the best characters.

Never change GAF.
Heavy_D206
(03-07-2017, 06:25 PM)
I fell asleep in the theater about halfway into Moana, so it's definitely not my favorite.
Gravy Boat
(03-07-2017, 06:27 PM)

Originally Posted by JesseZao

Never change GAF.

Is that a controversial opinion? I thought most people liked Disney villains.
Fancyarcher
(03-07-2017, 06:27 PM)

They are, but Disney's not interested in having memorable villains, so I'm completely fine with their films lacking specific antagonists.
Mossybrew
(03-07-2017, 06:28 PM)

Originally Posted by dude

What? Out of all of Disney's recent efforts, this one ranks probably lowest for me. It was a huge disappointment coming after the genius Zootopia.

Interesting. I found Zootopia entertaining enough, but it just didn't have any emotional resonance for me.
.JayZii
(03-07-2017, 06:29 PM)

Originally Posted by JesseZao

Never change GAF.

Disney villains are often the best characters. Maybe not in the movies since Princess and the Frog, but still.
JesseZao
(03-07-2017, 06:31 PM)

Is that a controversial opinion? I thought most people liked Disney villains.

Originally Posted by .JayZii

Disney villains are often the best characters. Maybe not in the movies since Princess and the Frog, but still.

Sorry, shoulda put it in quotes or []-GAF format.
jett
D-Member
(03-07-2017, 06:32 PM)
It's definitely you.
kunonabi
(03-07-2017, 06:35 PM)

I still enjoyed it but it wouldn't be top 10 Disney for me I don't think.

With a better singer you're welcome would have been the best Disney song in years.
Gravy Boat
(03-07-2017, 06:37 PM)

Originally Posted by kunonabi

With a better singer you're welcome would have been the best Disney song in years.

Yeah, I'm literally listening to the soundtrack again and some of the songs are good, but walking out of the cinema I struggled to remember a single tune.
sirap
(03-07-2017, 06:37 PM)
Finally watched this on BR and thought it was okay. Great premise and ending but I found the middle lacking.

Classics are definitely still up there.
CopperPuppy
(03-07-2017, 06:40 PM)
It's good but isn't even in the same ballpark as Tangled.
Ethelwulf
(03-20-2017, 04:19 PM)
Saw it during the weekend and it is absolutely fantastic! On my top 3 CG Disney movies easily. The music, damn. Really got me there. We know the way, You're welcome, Shiny.... Thought about David Bowie during the Shiny scene and it looks like this song is a tribute! Also, touching lyrics that match the story, setting and art-style:

"We tell the stories of our elders in a never ending chain".

Moana's so cool. Mawi's so funny lol.

Only Disney can do this.
Dalek
(03-20-2017, 11:50 PM)
I don't think any other Disney scene gives me goosebumps the way "I Am Moana (Song of the Ancients)" Does. Fucking amazing
jem0208
(03-20-2017, 11:56 PM)
I thought it massively overrated. I really don't understand why everyone loves it so much.

The best bit was Jemaine Clement singing the shiny song. Everything else was predictable, generic and boring.

Edit: visually it was amazing though.
Last edited by jem0208; 03-20-2017 at 11:59 PM.
kingocfs
(03-20-2017, 11:57 PM)
It has a really great climax.
Mossybrew
(03-21-2017, 12:00 AM)
After a second viewing this weekend I have to conclude that yes, this is my favorite Disney movie.
diablos991
Can't stump the Diablos.
(03-21-2017, 12:01 AM)
It is fantastic.
My kiddo loves this show and it sends a great message.
Got
Banned
(03-21-2017, 12:02 AM)
it's just you
AmaterasuOni
(03-21-2017, 12:05 AM)
I'm one of those who doesn't like Disney animations that much. I hate their spontaneous singing and that sugary feeling they have.

And I liked Moana. Vaiana for us. I actually ranked it on top of the Disney flicks. I haven't seen Lion King etc. in may many years, so my memories of them are a bit foggy. Vaiana is the best modern Disney at least.

I don't count Pixar movies as Disney animations though. I love Pixar. They're my favorite animation studio alongside Laika.
mrkgoo
(03-21-2017, 12:06 AM)

Originally Posted by AmaterasuOni

I'm one of those who doesn't like Disney animations that much. I hate their spontaneous singing and that sugary feeling they have.

And I liked Moana. Vaiana for us. I actually ranked it on top of the Disney flicks. I haven't seen Lion King etc. in may many years, so my memories of them are a bit foggy. Vaiana is the best modern Disney at least.

I don't count Pixar movies as Disney animations though. I love Pixar. They're my favorite animation studio alongside Laika.

Have you seen Zootopia?
Aceun
(03-21-2017, 12:08 AM)
I think Moana will stand the test of time. Lion King still remains my favorite Disney movie, but Moana is pretty darn close to taking the title.

I think it does one of the most excellent jobs of presenting the monomyth or the Hero's journey. The fact that it is linked to a really great monomyth style origin with its deities is particularly compelling.

Still the only reason why it doesn't edge out the Lion King (or even Wreck-It-Ralph which for me holds the title of the most faithful telling of the Hero's journey), is that it lacks a true foil for Moana in the form of a compelling villain.

Other than that, the visuals and music are standouts. Moana is immediately likable and she grows in her journey. Maui is a great companion and even has his own hero arc.

In terms of modern Disney movies though, Zootopia is the clear winner.
AmaterasuOni
(03-21-2017, 12:09 AM)

Originally Posted by mrkgoo

Have you seen Zootopia?

Oh damn! I forgot it's Disney. Yeah, that's way better. Like in a different universe better.

So let me rephrase: Vaiana is the best modern sing-along-princess Disney animation.
HiiiLife
(03-21-2017, 12:26 AM)
Already posted before but absolutely
Aurongel
(03-21-2017, 12:32 AM)
It wasn't even the best animated Disney film of that year.

But let's make something clear, the fact that Zootopia and Moana are two of the best animated films in a decade is a huge, huge achievement. Even if you don't prefer Zootopia, I can't imagine anyone looking at that without being impressed.
zeemumu
(03-21-2017, 12:33 AM)
All time? No, but it was good and I expected nothing less from Disney
Extollere
Sucks at poetry
(03-21-2017, 12:37 AM)
I watched it high as hell and it was fucking AWESOME.

If I watched it sober, I imagine it would still be good I guess.
UnemployedVillain
(03-21-2017, 12:49 AM)
I must be in the minority, but it seemed pretty average, standard fair, in almost every aspect. It looked nice though
ShemhazaiX
(03-21-2017, 12:50 AM)
No where near Disney renaissance tier. I thought it was a good movie, but suffered the same pacing and weak conflict issues that Frozen had, albeit had a more likeable cast in general than Frozen.

Has a long way to go to reach Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Little Mermaid etc. Was about Hercules tier in my opinion.

Originally Posted by .JayZii

Princess and the Frog gets slept on so much. Was the first time in a very long time that a Disney movie felt like it actually had a plot.
Last edited by ShemhazaiX; 03-21-2017 at 12:53 AM.
Atomic Playboy
(03-21-2017, 12:55 AM)
As a father of a young child, I feel comfortable saying the songs are right up there with the best Disney has done. I've been listening to them multiple times a day for a couple weeks now, which is usually enough to drive you completely bonkers, but they're really well done. The way "You're Welcome" not only gives you Maui's backstory, but also incorporates him tricking Moana and stealing her boat into the lyrics; that's solid songwriting right there. It doesn't hold a candle to Beauty and the Beast, so the OP is technically wrong, but it's a great movie.
BumRush
(03-21-2017, 01:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Atomic Playboy

As a father of a young child, I feel comfortable saying the songs are right up there with the best Disney has done. I've been listening to them multiple times a day for a couple weeks now, which is usually enough to drive you completely bonkers, but they're really well done. The way "You're Welcome" not only gives you Maui's backstory, but also incorporates him tricking Moana and stealing her boat into the lyrics; that's solid songwriting right there. It doesn't hold a candle to Beauty and the Beast, so the OP is technically wrong, but it's a great movie.

Are you me???
crazy monkey
holds a masters in liberal arts
(03-21-2017, 01:57 AM)
We did not enjoy this. Songs were okay. Nothing hype worthy. We enjoyed Kubo,zootopia and Kung fu panda 3 much more. Sorry.
prophecy0
(03-21-2017, 01:58 AM)
I finally got around to watching Moana this weekend and my wife and I absolutely loved it. It's definitely within my top 5 Disney movies. The songs, animation, characters, and COLOR were just all fantastic.
U2NUMB
(03-21-2017, 01:59 AM)
my 4 year old girl loves this movie.. THANK GOD SOMETHING REPLACED FROZEN... but I must admit the setting.. the songs.. the animation are all great.
prophecy0
(03-21-2017, 01:59 AM)

Originally Posted by ShemhazaiX

Princess and the Frog gets slept on so much. Was the first time in a very long time that a Disney movie felt like it actually had a plot.

It's a shame Princess and the Frog is somewhat overlooked. It's a wonderful movie.
farisr
(03-21-2017, 02:06 AM)
It's a decent movie, but yeah, not even close to Disney's best. Does have one of the best songs in recent years though.
Last edited by farisr; 03-21-2017 at 02:12 AM.
HotHamBoy
(03-21-2017, 02:09 AM)
I thought the movie was pretty bad.
.JayZii
(03-21-2017, 02:10 AM)

Originally Posted by ShemhazaiX

It has some strong elements that don't really come together into a satisfying whole.

I wish it had done better because I'd kill for them to return to the hand drawn 2D look for more movies.