• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV - Abigail Reveal Trailer

The dislikes and comments are brutal in the video.

Abigail isn't a slim, cool, young male, or a hot, slim female.

He's not going for day 1 likes. He's going for variety and 'flavor'. Like FANG, who also wasn't a hit on reveal, Abigail is a long term investment.

His target audience will find him, main him, and he will make the game more interesting...even if he isn't widely used.

StormKubo (Japanese Hugo and Alex user) was already falling in love with Abigail on Twitter. It was hilarious. He said he wanted to practice Abigail's intro and victory poses.
https://twitter.com/stormKUBO/status/886769320792961024
https://twitter.com/stormKUBO/status/886862312367206402
https://twitter.com/stormKUBO/status/886822525057060864

He even changed his Twitter name to 'AbigailKubo'.

Street Fighter is home to Blanka, Necro, and Twelve, so these "omg what happened to capcom" posts amuse me to no end. Grotesque oddballs are a Street Fighter staple and help give the series its unique charm. Abigail is the second truly zany design in a roster of 26 characters. That's not unreasonable.
Who's the first?

Rymuth

Digging deeper into the Final Fight dumpster I see. Who's next? Guy in the wheelchair with a shotgun?
There's already SFV artwork of him, soooo who knows? One day you might be right

belger-sfv-concept-art.jpg

This was roughly the same response with Hugo, at least among my internet groups, in the SF3 games.

But then again that game had like no SF characters besides four dudes.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
People hate new things.

Nah his alt outfits are not that bad as they have some things to balance out his proportions back closer to not completely out of wack, the biggest issue is how bad a majority of his animations look because of them having to work with that weird ass design

Watched the Trunks trailer right before seeing this.

I don't know what capcom is doing anymore.

I don't understand why people are excited for Trunks being in a DBZ game. It's such an obvious inclusion, so is it the sword?

Anyway, Abigail is a great idea but the ugliness is really unneeded. Keep the size and moves, but fix his face up and give him better body proportions.

Floex

Street Fighter is home to Blanka, Necro, and Twelve, so these "omg what happened to capcom" posts amuse me to no end. Grotesque oddballs are a Street Fighter staple and help give the series its unique charm. Abigail is the second truly zany design in a roster of 26 characters. That's not unreasonable.

Oh god, it's like bashing your head against concrete. Oddballs aren't the problem, the design is. Blanka, Necro, Twelve, Q, they all look fantastic. Then you look at SFV, from Feng to Abigail, just terrible design work.

Anyone who likes the look of Abigail can never criticise a Rob Liefeld picture again.

L Thammy

It's kind of weird to me when people try to say this guy's unique or completely new. I mean, his proportions being exaggerated to this particular degree is new, but for the most part he's just a big dumb muscle guy, which is not really even all that new for Street Fighter V. He's even still basically wearing a recoloured version of Hugo's costume, but with the rings on the muscle shirt replaced with skulls, and then tires and tire tracks all over the place.

I don't even mean that as in he's bad, but he's still got remnants of being a Hugo headswap in this design.

TacosNSalsa

I'm waiting to see how he plays..I hated the way Hugo looked but he was insanely fun to play that I didn't care after a while what he looked like..I hope its the same thing with this guy . As for playing against him, can everyone jump over him? He looks taller than some characters jump arcs

Rymuth

Wow, I just discovered Abigail is not the heaviest character in SF lore.

Gill weighs a whopping 338 kg!! O_O

Apparently, the Messiah likes his fried food

Village

Randy Pitchford was probably in highschool when that design was made lol

There is a some fucked up inbred hillbilly's in 2 that get pretty close to that guy and abigail tbh.

Also those fucked up hillbilly's are actually important, because they ad important context to the world, and 3 characters imparticular that actually despite the stigma of borderlands... " crude" writing... is actually pretty deep and has some pretty dark implications. Along with one of them soft disconfirming that everyone you killed in BL and BL2 actually died in side missions, ( possibly confirming a whip wielding psychopath continued existence)

Hopefully abigail's deep and rich backstory can illuminate the mysterious, mysterious of the SF universe. Like how he and hugo got so damn big

Or it wont confirm anything, and they will just be big and silly looking

Lulubop

This place is weird.

Indeed, calling blanka's design fantastic. In fact he's probably the oddest character in the entire series as well, but this is all new.

And ya Remy is terrible, 3s has a lot of that (Bet also a lot of fantastic ones).

Village

And ya Remy is terrible, 3s has a lot of that (Bet also a lot of fantastic ones).

Remy is fine

Nobody will ever be worse than Remy.

I can think of plenty of characters worse than remy

I don't think being edgy is that really a" con" because other than that, he's a fresh unique character design, that appeals to a whole other group of people. People who like handsome men with more realistic proportions.

I think remy hate of this magnitude is way overblown and a bunch of people actually don't remember remy at all.

fresquito

Oh god, it's like bashing your head against concrete. Oddballs aren't the problem, the design is. Blanka, Necro, Twelve, Q, they all look fantastic. Then you look at SFV, from Feng to Abigail, just terrible design work.

Anyone who likes the look of Abigail can never criticise a Rob Liefeld picture again.
Who is this Feng? Are you sure you are here because you care about SFV?

Lulubop

Remy is fine

I can think of plenty of characters worse than remy

I don't think being edgy is that really a" con" because other than that, he's a fresh unique character design, that appeals to a whole other group of people. People who like handsome men with more realistic proportions.

I think remy hate of this magnitude is way overblown and a bunch of people actually don't remember remy at all.

No he's bad and I remember him. I can think of worse characters but he's bad.

Also I think this design is pretty bad, the arms really kill it for me in just saying this isn't anything new to the series. He looks really fun at least, like Hugo.

Village

No he's bad and I remember him. I can think of worse characters but he's bad. Thanks.

A cool character design, that isn't muscular, and because of that and style of dress is unique to street fighter. If that's bad to you, then sure man. Those are life choices you can make

Wow, I just discovered Abigail is not the heaviest character in SF lore.

Gill weighs a whopping 338 kg!! O_O

Apparently, the Messiah likes his fried food

I'm guessing him and Urien probably have fucked up weights considering they both have the power to literally change their body mass at will.

Urien literally turns himself into earth metal and starts using electromagnetism, so Imagine the Game of thrones shit gill does also fucks with his body composition.

MrCarter

People are hyped because of the faithfulness and quality pretty much the first db game that's close to the source material on presentation

Not really. Dimps have done an amazing job with character models, gameplay and animations in Xenoverse 1 and 2.

Then you look at SFV, from Feng to Abigail, just terrible design work.

"Feng" (its Fang) is not terrible design work. Far from it.

Top Bottom