• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Final Fantasy 5 (smartphones) screenshots

jaxword

No, i mean people need translations, but they should be faithfull. You know people prefer to see original subtitled versions of movies in some places. This is not some snobbish things to think the original version of a piece of art should be respected.

How is it different, though, from the people who think that only the "Original vision" should be considered the definitive work of art, in this case, the Japanese-only people?

Pyrrhus

Hey guys, never fear, using teh MAGIC OF PHOTOSHOP I am able to give you what you want:

y9j3CHu.png

Day one purchase?

Looks like you're about as good at Photoshop and reading comprehension as the FFV Mobile team are at sprites. (Seriously, who uses bilinear interpolation when blowing up low res sprites? Nearest neighbor, son.)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm not minding it as much as everyone else. Sure it could be better, but I'll still play the damn thing.

CorvoSol

You really think so? Sometimes I wonder if Amano and Sakaguchi were having a meta-joke about feminine characters all along.

They definitely were. Remember that Bartz and Galuf both walk in on a sleeping Faris and find her hot WHILE STILL UNDER THE BELIEF THAT SHE'S A MAN.

FFV is the greatest satire of the entire series ever possible.

BasilZero

Still debating on whether to get this on iphone (which I probably wont until a Sale) or wait for a possible release on dare I say it on the 3DS lol.

jaxword

Hey guys, never fear, using teh MAGIC OF PHOTOSHOP I am able to give you what you want:

y9j3CHu.png

Day one purchase?

Childhood memories: Fixed.

They definitely were. Remember that Bartz and Galuf both walk in on a sleeping Faris and find her hot WHILE STILL UNDER THE BELIEF THAT SHE'S A MAN.

FFV is the greatest satire of the entire series ever possible.

Yeah, you get it. Which is why the complaints about "Omg spoiled plot point, now ruined forever" are pretty arbitrary.

Angelcurio

Oh my, after seeing this i hope they don't even attempt to release FF VI. I prefer no port than seeing this RPG Makerish sprite work on such a gem of a game.

CorvoSol

Yeah, you get it. Which is why the complaints about "Omg spoiled plot point, now ruined forever" are pretty arbitrary.

Viewing it through this lens, Krile is a lot more tolerable. That she's a total Mary Sue as a mockery of all Mary Sues to come.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Looks like you're about as good at Photoshop and reading comprehension as the FFV Mobile team are at sprites. (Seriously, who uses bilinear interpolation when blowing up low res sprites? Nearest neighbor, son.)
Come on, as someone familiar with the Dimensions game the sprites look so much better than bilinear garbage, and even nearest neighbor. They look most like that pixel resize pic does, but you just don't notice the pixels at all.

KiTA

WAT. I would rather they try a little harder. Should be a 3DS top-down remake ala Dragon Quest 7.

I'd rather they put it on iOS/Android, so I can have the entire early series on my Tablet. :p

Also, one nice touch I remembered today while playing FFD. The different characters have different sprites even in the same job, yes, but they also have different animations.

For example, I have Sarah and Dusk both as black mages. They both have subtle differences -- Dusk's hands and wrists are more exposed, and he has a different icon on his hat. But the big difference? Dusk, when casting, puts his hands up in a half-square, like the old casting animations. Sarah, instead puts one finger forward and twists her body halfway around, like some sort of mutated "Objection!" pose.

It's a nice touch, and one I don't really recall from FFV.

jaxword

This is nice but I hope the FFVI re-release is a ds remake not just cleaner sprites.

They will likely release FF6 on the phone like this, everyone will scream Square-Enix ruined it forever, and then they'll rerelease it on the 3DS/Vita with another graphical update and all will be forgiven.

WAT. I would rather they try a little harder. Should be a 3DS top-down remake ala Dragon Quest 7.
That's kind of what I meant, a remake rather than a enhanced port. I just said DS only because of FFiii and iv. But yeah, totally want a 3ds remake maybe using Bravely Defaults engine. Would love that.

FFvi remake has been a longtime coming and we need one. It's about time!

KiTA

So it took about 4 months for FFD to get over here from Japan.

... So we should be seeing FF5 Mobile in July sometime? Right after Final Fantasy Tactics in June?

Or... wasn't one of the Chaos Rings games released at the same time in Japan as FFT, and is already out over in the US? So maybe sooner?

My standard go to source for release dates (Gamefaqs) is all buggered up with Mobile games right now, so I'm not sure what date is accurate.

It's too bad they didn't bother releasing this on PSP/PSN or something. The assets are all there and it would be more of a joy to play.

Edit: Then again, these assets ... are not like the other updates. What is this?

Goli

So it took about 4 months for FFD to get over here from Japan.

... So we should be seeing FF5 Mobile in July sometime? Right after Final Fantasy Tactics in June?

Or... wasn't one of the Chaos Rings games released at the same time in Japan as FFT, and is already out over in the US? So maybe sooner?

My standard go to source for release dates (Gamefaqs) is all buggered up with Mobile games right now, so I'm not sure what date is accurate.
What are you talking about? All of SE's iOS games have been released at the same time worldwide with just a few exceptions, unless you're talking about the Android versions.

OMT

Viewing it through this lens, Krile is a lot more tolerable. That she's a total Mary Sue as a mockery of all Mary Sues to come.

On top of that, consider how popular the magical girl genre was in Japan at the time (1992 was when the Sailor Moon anime started). She's totally a rip on that.

KiTA

What are you talking about? All of SE's iOS games have been released at the same time worldwide with just a few exceptions, unless you're talking about the Android versions.

I was actually. But maybe that's why I'm having so much trouble finding release dates, some of these appear to be iOS release dates associated incorrectly with the Android ports.

So, FFV iOS on Saturday/Sunday then? Wonder if the Android port will get simultaneous release this time...

Goli

I was actually. But maybe that's why I'm having so much trouble finding release dates, some of these appear to be iOS release dates associated incorrectly with the Android ports.

So, FFV iOS on Saturday/Sunday then? Wonder if the Android port will get simultaneous release this time...
Yeah, most of SE's Android games literally come out of nowhere randomly, there doesn't seem to be a pattern or anything. They've yet to release FFIV on it even though it was announced at the same time as the iOS version too.

FFV is going live on iOS as soon as it becomes Thursday in each region, but the Android port is coming out later in 2013.

KiTA

Yeah, most of SE's Android games literally come out of nowhere randomly, there doesn't seem to be a pattern or anything. They've yet to release FFIV on it even though it was announced at the same time as the iOS version too.

FFV is going live on iOS as soon as it becomes Thursday in each region, but the Android port is coming out later in 2013.

Ah.

On the one hand, that's asinine.

On the other, hey, more time to finish FFD.

I'm still waiting on FFT and FFATB for Android, too. Stupid delays! :(

Psxphile

I'd rather they put it on iOS/Android, so I can have the entire early series on my Tablet. :p
It would've happened eventually.

They will likely release FF6 on the phone like this, everyone will scream Square-Enix ruined it forever, and then they'll rerelease it on the 3DS/Vita with another graphical update and all will be forgiven.
That's backwards. 3DS remake first and *then* port to mobile. You're messing the the natural order of things!

The original phone version of FF4 did not have awesome sprites.
Phone resolutions back then were pretty awful.

2EyffjJ.png
Bilinear

40RC68p.png
Nearest Neighbor

B4YH6gk.png
Pixel Resize KING OF ALL HE SURVEYS

You nearest neighbor'ed wrong... If there is any blur on an up-rezed image when using nearest neighbor you've done something incorrectly, or the software you used did anyways.

(edit) Whoops got distracted and didn't give me real input on this port... Amano artwork +, sprite artwork -, overall it's a wash.

KiTA

Wh-why would you want to play ATB?

Because. I must. It is my destiny.

Besides, I remain convinced that there is a possibility of a good time-waster there.

The very idea of a project this screwed up fascinates me. Just how did they do it? Was it them completely misunderstanding the mobile market? Was it the people setting the price not talking to the devteam? Was it some higher ups thinking the FF brand name would sell anything, no matter how lopsidedly bad?

I must know.

Top Bottom