• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios working on fucking Donkey Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

are ya'll forgetting that it took 3 years for retro to make dkcr wii?
Doesn't it usually take less time the second time around? Not sure how development works, but it makes sense that a lot of timesinks are gone when it's a traditional sequel to a recent game, compared to the timesinks of that original game.

Banned
Well, Dixie Kong and the return of David Wise for the soundtrack is awesome news. Maybe I'm just bitter because I wanted a new IP.

Because, in any medium, when we see artists who we consider to be extremely talented, we want to see their own visions and creations. Eventually you want to see a great director make a movie out on their own. Eventually you want to see a great studio work on their own IP. Retro aren't some new kid on the block. They created a masterpiece in a lot of people's eyes 10 years ago and, in those same eyes, paid their dues. Many of us would like to see what they can do when they create a completely new world on their own, because by all accounts, they have the technical and artistic staff to pull off something incredible.

This must be why everyone wants the mario galaxy tean to work on mario games for all eternity I guess

A lot more people care about DK than Metroid lmao.

And LOL at calling this E3 a disappointment for Nintendo. They announced and showed a ton of great looking games. I swear some people can't be pleased no matter what.

Why are you framing it as Metroid vs. DK? I didn't want Retro working on Metroid either.

Honestly, this game should have come out on the Wii last fall or the fall before, when the system was dying for new software. :/

Coolwhip

Banned
I refuse to believe this is the Retro game we are hyping up for years. Tomorrow Reggie tell us they were trolling and show Metroid, Start Tropics or a new IP.

TEJ

Doesn't it usually take less time the second time around? Not sure how development works, but it makes sense that a lot of timesinks are gone when it's a traditional sequel to a recent game, compared to the timesinks of that original game.

hd assets

and

it looks visually more complex

and

they might have been taking their time to make a great game

Ocaso

Retro has 130 employees and they are not doing the score so why cant they be also working on something else?

Possible, but highly, highly unlikely. They're not a studio that's ever been known for handling multiple projects simultaneously and 130 people working on a modern AAA game is not unheard of. At this point we must accept that Metroid is, at best, a very low priority for Nintendo.

That said, in the absence of either a new Metroid or even a new Zelda game announcement at this E3, I see little to no reason to buy the console at this point in time. Donkey Kong Country Returns was a great game, but not a system seller for me nor is this sequel.

Chake

Banned
The whole direct was so bad, they didn't even take the whole hour. It's weird that nobody mentioned that the whole show was 40 mins long.

Axiology

You're all silly, I hope you know that.

Sure Metroid would be nice to get at some point, but it's like none of you remember that DKCR was one of the best games last generation.
I actually agree wholeheartedly with Retro's tweet about this, actually. I've been saying it before we even found out about this. How strange would it be for them to take only a 1 game break from Metroid after making the same series for a fucking decade? And the game they came up with was highly reviewed and beloved by many, so then they just drop it because it's not Metroid?

Get over yourselves.

Edit: And I'm not saying it's wrong to want something else or that you have to agree with my opinion, but most of these reactions are bordering on parody.

Kenka

I am 100% certain this is a soup-up 3DS game. The view angles, simply, gives it away.
They should have kept it on the platform instead of porting DKC Returns to 3DS.

Another hint being in the shitter when it comes to WiiU. Porting up 3DS games and making up the difference with a port no one asked for. Superb.

And, more importantly, why did they assign Retro to making a 3DS game to being with.

I wanted to be upset that Retro was working on this game, but after watching the trailer again, I don't think anyone else could make something like this. Returns was, in my opinion, the best Wii game, and is one of the best side-scrollers of all time (up there with Yoshi's Island and DKC2), and Tropical Breeze looks even better.

I'm buying a Wii U for this and Wind Waker HD. And X. And Mario 3D World and Smash.

Alebrije

I expected a new Metroid or new IP and they ended doing the only franchise I hate from Nintendo... : ( Retro go home you are drunk...

So much potential wasted in a Gorilla..... : (

daakusedo

They are making what looks like an awesome follow up to dkcr and I'm mad, well a lot less since the reveal, that's hilarious.

Tuck

The only people who are genuinely angry that Retro are making a new DKC game are people who didn't play Returns. It was an amazing game and a David Wise-scored sequel is pure mana from heaven to me. If there is going to be a DKCR sequel then I wouldn't want anyone except Retro working on it.

Anyway I'm sure Retro's other team is beavering away on something else. Remember that they have developed Mario Kart 7 and contributed to other titles over the last few years, they aren't a one project team.

I bought Returns. Twice. Excellent game.

And a sequel is welcomed. But not one developed by Retro. Waste of talent. Wii U needs big adventures. DKCR2 most certainly is not.

Mantorok

office-fhell.gif

Don't get the hate, that trailer looked stunning. Dixie back in the fold, the return of underwater levels (REALLY curious to see what Retro pulls off here, after decrying them when discussing DKCR), and the dynamic camera changes look great. And DAVID FUCKING WISE ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Yeah, I'm pumped for this game, silly Slurpee title and all.

Axiology

I call bullshit. DK Country Returns was A) cheaper to make than Prime. And B) sold really well. I can't see a scenario where Nintendo didn't call the shots on this project.

So because Nintendo may have made more money on DKCR than the Prime series you're coming to the conclusion Retro had no say in the matter and were forced into the project against their will, when they were instead clamoring to spread their wings and make some AAA first person shooter?

Where's the indication of any of this? Is it not entirely possible they enjoyed making the first game and weren't done with their ideas for the series? People accepted that explanation for Galaxy 2, but now it's invalid? You people, mannn

Edit: Also, Kenka is smoking that high-grade shit.

Gartooth

How shit David Wise is back to compose Donkey Kong!? Awesome news!

Also you guys are complaining way too much, I don't think anyone is opposed to a new Donkey Kong Country considering how great of a game Returns was, it was the best 2D platformer on the Wii easily so I welcome a sequel.

In terms of "wasted talent by Retro", Retro is a great developer but you guys put them on way too high of a pedestal.

Sequels of quality titles isn't a bad thing but it doesn't sell me on buying a new console. I wanted something original to look forward too not more of the same. I've played all these series on the 3DS recently DKCR, SM3D, and MK, I just don't have the desire for more this soon.

MarkusRJR

I was super disappointed that they were working on DKC for the first few hours post-Direct, but now I'm sort of fine with it. I was mainly pissed because all we seemingly have coming to Wii U in terms of compelling content is cartoon-styled sidescrollers (NSMBU, Rayman SM3DW, tons of indie platformers, etc) and Retro could have filled in the many genres that are empty.

What I am annoyed with is how visually unimpressive it is. A lot of the assets look just above Wii level which is just bleh (seemingly every internally developed title apart from MK8/X are using just above Wii level assets). Apart from the fur effects & overall busyness (loads more shit in the background; a detriment tbh since it makes it hard to keep track of everything) it looks like a slightly upgraded DKCR on Dolphin. For a developer known for pushing the technical boundaries of Nintendo consoles they sure didn't show that pedigree here.

JDSN

Banned
While David Wise returning is great news, I wasnt the biggest fan of Donkey Kong's platforming at all, I felt that there was something that never quite worked.

And to make matter worse, it looks like an HD remake of the Wii game.

Axiology

I was super disappointed that they were working on DKC for the first few hours post-Direct, but now I'm sort of fine with it.

What I am annoyed with is how visually unimpressive it is. A lot of the assets look just above Wii level which is just bleh (seemingly every internally developed title apart from MK8/X are using just above Wii level assets). Apart from the fur effects & overall busyness (loads more shit in the background; a detriment tbh since it makes it hard to keep track of everything) it looks like a slightly upgraded DKCR on Dolphin. For a developer known for pushing the technical boundaries of Nintendo consoles they sure didn't show that pedigree here.

I agree to some extent. It's clear that they are doing things with the Wii U that they never could before when you see some of the impression videos being posted around. There's tons more going on in the background and the effects are amazing, but all the models except for the characters are disappointingly low-poly so far. Considering they've got to model entire levels full of detail it is to be expected somewhat, but X and MK8 are similarly huge environments, if not larger and they look much better.

It is possible that between now and the release of the game they'll polish it up immensely, though. That's what happened with DKCR, which was looking pretty rough until just before it launched.

Yamauchi

Banned
Game looks pretty good.

I don't get people saying this is 'impressive.' Graphically it looks very similar to NSMBU in my opinion. Nintendo is clearly pumping out as much stuff as they can using the same basic engine (NSMBU, NSLU, Yoshi's Yarn, DK). From a business standpoint it makes sense, but as a gamer the rehashing is getting quite disappointing.

I personally doubt that all of Retro's 130 employees are working on this. A lot of what was shown was really plain -- it doesn't look like an AAA project to me.

TEJ

I saw a video of the first level and the game looks like a blast to play.

I'm just excited that Nintendo is giving me bunches of games in my favorite genre, the platformer.

The game is going to be fantastic, but it really feels like a let down. Retro needs to be working on games of a much bigger scope than 2D platformers. I love me some platforming, but these guys are capable of Metroid Prime...

All the hyping and secrecy and it just ended up being what nobody was asking for.

I think its waste of talent sadly. I wanted something new of Retro, not donkey kong or metroid, even if it was an old franchise reborn.

And the guy saying I didnt play returns becuase I hate they are making. I bought it and beat it twice, and love it, but this was not the time for a donkey kong sequel.

Ifter watching the dev commentary I like the game more, thanks a lot to the magnificent David Wise main theme, that shits all over the DKCR version, and the game will probably be fantastic and fun. But apart of the monkeys, the game is unimpressive graphically. Some of the backgrounds look blocky as hell. And worse of all, the main villians have again very little charisma. More that the tikis, thats for sure, but was it REALLY THAT HARD HAVING K ROOL AS THE MAIN VILLIAN? Im pretty sure somone at retro hates him. And its a pity, becuase in the Rare series, the more charismatic designs where the crocs and K Rool, becuase the secondary monkey desings sucked balls.

The game is going to be fantastic, but it really feels like a let down. Retro needs to be working on games of a much bigger scope than 2D platformers. I love me some platforming, but these guys are capable of Metroid Prime...

All the hyping and secrecy and it just ended up being what nobody was asking for.

Yep, was that really needed? They could have come a year ago and say Retro was making a donkey sequel instead of so much stupid secrecy.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I am 100% certain this is a soup-up 3DS game. The view angles, simply, gives it away.
They should have kept it on the platform instead of porting DKC Returns to 3DS.

Another hint being in the shitter when it comes to WiiU. Porting up 3DS games and making up the difference with a port no one asked for. Superb.

And, more importantly, why did they assign Retro to making a 3DS game to being with.

Whole lot of facts you're rolling with there. Yeesh.

The game looks fantastic. If it's half as good as DKCR (one of the only games I've 100% in a very, very long time), then it will still be an extremely good game. If the trailer is anything to go by, then the game will be brilliant.

I'm feeling a Super Mario Galaxy 2 here, Donkey Kong style. How is that not the most exciting thing ever?

scitek

People are really surprised this game exists after the first was ported to the 3DS? Hey, we get to roll with buttons this time, and Wise is back for the soundtrack? That's amazing news.

takoyaki

It's strange, DKCR was my favorite platformer on the Wii, but this is somehow underwhelming. I wanted to see something completely new or unexpected from Retro. Even the Startropics rumor had me more excited/curious about what Retro would do with the IP.

I feel the same way about Mario Kart 8. It looked really good, but the hover-carts only had me thinking of how great a new F-Zero would be on WiiU.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The game looks incredible, but yeah, I'd rather see Retro work on something original. A sci fi inspired original IP, preferably.

I hope they're working on something else, with only some of their team devoted to DKCR2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom