• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite have a low budget?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Capcom don't really have the money to make quality software anymore, and it's becoming clear that they don't have the talent to do it either. They are a shadow of what they were 10 years ago.

Toxi

Banned
It's baffling when you see Captain Marvel and Chun-Li together. One looks fine, the other looks like a low budget knockoff. The art design is so inconsistent.

Sayad

They've been hiring thousands of new college graduates to make their games since they decided to stop using any outsourcing firms, so they're pretty new at this.

Capcom talked about how Street Fighter V actually had way more staff than any of their previous fighting games, and that was pretty threadbare.
I'm curious when did they say this, was it before SFV?! A lot SFV problems seem to be from outsourcing, development is mainly outsourced to Dimps, but net-code and handling of the game's servers was outsourced to a Korean firm, some stages outsourced to a Malaysian company while some characters models are outsource to individuals! Critical roles though are still in Capcom. They're still having problems communicating things and meeting timelines probably due to how disjointed SFV development is right now.

Menitta

Maybe. If it does have a high budget, its sure as hell not going into the visuals. It looks like a ported mobile game. What's frustrating is that there are small lighting changes that they could do to make it look great. That's just how I see it.

Also I don't think it's very fun to play. Granted that demo structure was shite, but I didn't really like what I could do.

Fury451

Banned
It certainly seems that way. Honestly it looks like a lot of it's being reused from the last game too. Some tweaks and changes I guess, but as of right now I'm not interested in buying it because it doesn't feel that different than what's already on offer.

It's kind of bizarre, but it looks cobbled together from people with different levels of art design abilities as well. Some of it looks OK, some of it looks bad, some of it looks pretty good even.

They been pretty hit and miss with the company for the last five years or so, I'm wondering where the talent has gone.

They really should have reused the same art style and character models from UMvC3. That game looks great.
Shit, just give me a sequel to that. Same exact game but with more new characters.

mas8705

I'd be shocked if this game cost more than MvC3. It just doesn't make sense.

Capcom used to put out quality games. I don't know what happened to them this gen :(

Part of me wonders that actually... Mind you I don't know how much it costs to make a "Story Mode" in a game, but if it somehow turns out that Infinite is more expensive than MvC3, it probably would be due to the story mode that has left people split down the middle on.

To be perfectly honest though, does anyone else feel like the story demo that we got felt... rushed? It was like 30 seconds-1 minute or random talking among themselves before you got thrown into a fight against NPCs. Hopefully there will be more to the story towards the start and the demo we played happened somewhere about 30% into the story mode or something.

As for "Quality Games," we can honestly say that definition does stretch out quite a bit depending on what we're looking at. For the sake of time though for, if we look at fighting games that Capcom has given us in this generation, then it would be fair to say that has left alot to be desired... SFV was alot more underwhelming than we thought it was going to be, meanwhile MvC:I is leaving people questioning if it will actually deliver or not.

Outside of RE7 Capcoms games been looking broke as a joke for a while now

In fairness, the only other Capcom game series worth while in today's world (or at least Japan) is Monster Hunter. Hell knows that people are hyped as all hell for Monster Hunter World (when not being salty about MHXX), but in regards of other games (like Dead Rising 4...), you have no argument against me. They could be doing alot better, but it is leaving people scratching their heads in confusion about the choices being made by capcom (like not porting over MHXX even though we have established that people are ready to import the game if they have to).

Dirtbag

Questionable art direction is the most obvious problem. Then trying to keep up with injustice/mortal kombat and focus on a story mode, something capcom has never gotten right in a fighter.. well, here we are

Its sad if Contest of Champions, a mobile game looks like it has a higher budget.

If it would be a NRS game i would say wait and see it gonna look much better at release but this is a Capcom game.

Still gonna look ass at release.

RK128

Going to be honest here; people are just better off getting UMvC3 for their PS4/Xbox One at this point. I mean, a large chunk of the roster (animations and all) are ripped right from that game AND you get the X-Men/FF4 Characters. Honestly, the only attractive bit from MvC:I for me is X and Sigma being playable....but I could just have X be a costume for Zero in UMvC3 and 'pretend' I'm playing as the blue bomber.

Shame that the older game looks far better than the new one...but this also applied to SFV too, where USFIV was the better package for current generation gamers compared to the newest game. More characters and content come to mind. SFV though, tried to do new things and honestly has great gameplay from what I heard about the title.

MvC:I is just a poor-mans Marvel 3, and that is REALLY bad when you consider UMvC3 is right there for us to pick up, at a lower price and with no Season Pass dangling in front of our faces.

Risero

Banned
I'm leaning towards bad art direction and style, just like MVC3
MVC2 and SF4 are such good looking games, not sure what they were thinking

>bad art
>mvc3

>mvc2 is a good looking game with its decade old recycled sprites next to high pixel count new ones and jarring 3D backgrounds

Ok then

Neoxon

Apparently it straight up reuses models from Contest of Champions.

$199 special edition, lul
lolwut? Who reported that, Bleeding Cool?

Either way, yeah, the visuals aren't the best. But considering Capcom's asset reuse & Marvel chasing the MCU aesthetic, that doesn't surprise me. Thankfully the gameplay looks to be solid as always.

What?

Just....wow. That is sad honestly :(.
It's UMvC3 assets, don't fall for that bullshit.

Neonep

They really should have reused the same art style and character models from UMvC3. That game looks great.
Shit, just give me a sequel to that. Same exact game but with more new characters.

Given how MVC:I is looking they could have instead just did a MASSIVE update to UMVC3.

My guess is their senior staff is working on cool great shit like Monster Hunter World, and the less experienced are doing these ugly ass games. Marvel looks so, soooo bad.

It's nuts when Dragonball Fighter Z has more hype than Marvel.

I-hate-u

Plausibly, but I think there's also an extent to which Capcom's developers are just not very good.

They've been hiring thousands of new college graduates to make their games since they decided to stop using any outsourcing firms, so they're pretty new at this.

Capcom talked about how Street Fighter V actually had way more staff than any of their previous fighting games, and that was pretty threadbare.

Mind, it also takes a lot more work to make modern games, and I'm sure compared to other modern games it's lower budget, but I don't think it necessarily costs less than Marvel vs. Capcom 3. It could plausibly cost quite a bit more.

Why couldn't they get Eighting again?

I'm leaning towards bad art direction and style, just like MVC3
MVC2 and SF4 are such good looking games, not sure what they were thinking

Good joke.

Hahahahahahahaha

200w.gif

Capcom always treated Mavel's IPs with respect and care. Even here in MvC:I, the Marvel characters look vastly superior to Capcom's/

RK128

lolwut? Who reported that, Bleeding Cool?

Either way, yeah, the visuals aren't the best. But considering Capcom's asset reuse & Marvel chasing the MCU aesthetic, that doesn't surprise me. Thankfully the gameplay looks to be solid as always.

It's UMvC3 assets, don't fall for that bullshit.

Oh, okay. Sorry for overreacting in that case man :(.

Risero

Banned
What?

Just....wow. That is sad honestly :(.

RubberJohnny is lying. One look at CoC then Infinite will show that Infinite's models are original. The game definitely has a low budget and a lot of flaws but let's not lie for the sake of detracting from it further. The game may have ugly shading and coloring but most of the models are far higher quality then their mvc3 counterparts (See: Nova, Hulk, Ryu, Iron Man.)

RK128

RubberJohnny is lying. One look at CoC then Infinite will show that Infinite's models are original. The game definitely has a low budget and a lot of flaws but let's not lie for the sake of detracting from it further. The game may have ugly shading and coloring but most of the models are far higher quality then their mvc3 counterparts (See: Nova, Hulk, Ryu, Iron Man.)

I understand that now. The Marvel characters look ALOT better compared to the Capcom fighters at the very least.

I'd say it's more to allow the game to run decent for it to be a competitive fighter. MvC3 wasnt a super bigtime good looker, and this isn't either, but at least it runs mostly good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The difference between MvC:I and DBZ is staggering.

or MvC:I and Injustice 2

The best looking 2d fighter and 2.5d fighter coming out and the most popular one from the most popular fighting game developer partnered with the biggest entertainment juggernaut looks like that

LiK

Injustice 2 and DBFZ are like works of art especially when compared to MvC:I's visuals. MVCI just looks unfinished and rough. I'm sure the game will play fine but good lord does everything else look like last gen.

TDLink

It definitely seems low budget. The models are technically better than MvC3, but it completely lacks style and comes across as really bland. Plus, the majority of the revealed characters look straight copy and pasted from MvC3 with minor alterations.

I can't believe they're charging $60+ for what they've shown tbh.

Anth0ny

sure fucking looks like it. compare to injustice, or dbz, or even MARVEL 3.

not sure how you manage to take assets from a 360 game, then make the game look WORSE in every way

It seems that way...

The art style leads to think that they didn't care much for presentation or maybe they have to met a certaib deadline to release the game.

Neonep

sure fucking looks like it. compare to injustice, or dbz, or even MARVEL 3.

not sure how you manage to take assets from a 360 game, then make the game look WORSE in every way

Also can compare it to Tekken 7 and it's lagging behind that too.

Nephtes

The state of MvC:I is embarrassing.
If I were Marvel and Disney, I'd rethink lending out my properties to Capcom again, specifically after seeing Injustice 2.

I mean, Marvel arguably has the best comics movie universe established...
Why not leverage that to make MvC:I?
Why not hire some actual writers that made the movie screenplays to cobble something together that isn't as trash as what the MvC:I story demo implies...
Why not hire some decent voice talent to ensure characters like Rocker Racoon and Thor don't come off 100% lesser than their movie counterparts?

And Capcom, WTF, how did the models take a downgrade from SFV... A game where you let Ken's banana hair clip through his shoulders????

The whole thing is a shitshow... Capcom really hasn't given me anything to enjoy this generation.

kewlmyc

Idk man I get the complaints about Dante and Chun Li but I wouldn't say the whole Capcom side is ugly

Megaman's eyes look dead (yeah he's a robot, but he's supposed to have expressions)
Ryu is alright, I guess
Morrigan looks alright I guess.
Strider looks good
Chun Li got hit with the ugly dollface stick
Chris is ugly
Dante looks like he's on meth
Zero looks fine, though I don't think we've gotten a good look at him yet.

So half the Capcom cast looks pretty bad. I guess it could be worse.

Top Bottom