• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

tusken77

The way i see it based on the rumors. And im sure it will take cues from the Vita.

ds4.jpg

There we go, now we're talking.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing that comparison shows me just how idiotic the WiiU controller truly is.
Have you used it? I did for the first time last weekend, and it was surprisingly comfortable. The bumpers were the only thing I really didn't like about it. Clicking down the sticks had more resistance than it should, too.

Zeal

Banned
Have you used it? I did for the first time last weekend, and it was surprisingly comfortable. The bumpers were the only thing I really didn't like about it. Clicking down the sticks had more resistance than it should, too.

I just felt like I was holding a dinner tray or something.

"I never asked for this..."

The Wii U GamePad is fine. The biggest problem is that the technology limits its usage to one or two controllers. It's expensive and a pain to replace.

At least with the PlayStation 4 controller, securing four controllers for friends should be easy. Seriously, I'm very disappointed in the controller situation for Wii U. I'm looking forward to the reveal.

Yeah, but that would be a bad solution. The sticks on the Dualshock are already uncomfortably low. I want to be able to comfortably grip the entire controller while using the sticks, instead of having to fold my hand, if that makes sense.
I didnt meant that. Hard for me to explain any other way. Not talking about the stick's position in the controller. Taking that mock up as an example, they are in the same place as always but with the touchpad in the middle. So Sony would to lower how much the sticks elevate from the controller,making it lower profile. So the thumb doesnt accidentaly hit the stick while using the touch surface.

Hopefuly it is cleare now.

Oxn

Tweaked my controller shop

zsMBdrk.jpg

Vita buttons

K5ApBNu.jpg

If the only way to get these controllers were to buy a PS4, Im buying a PS4 day freaking ONE.

Damn you MYE, now anything less than this in the looks department and I will be disappointed. You raised the bar so high on the design.

Zeal

Banned
Whoever, did the white controller mockup did a great job. I really hope the actual controller has a similar rounded design on the grips.

Round the grips off and put the triggers on the top and back like the 360's and you have one incredibly comfortable, beautiful controller.

waypoetic

Banned
I absolutely agree. Nobody could believe about the fifty billion bugs I encountered while playing Uncharted 2, until I finally had my camera ready and got one photographed:

UnchartedGlitch01.jpg

UnchartedGlitch02.jpg

(Drake was then unable to climb out of this, so I had to reset the game)

With a video feature built into my controller? Fuggetaboutit.

Man the practical applications are vast. Look forwarding to seeing what you upload in the future

Congratulations.

I've played through that game about four times and that Never happened to me.

I'd love a built in share/record functionality. It's a great idea.

Now if only Sony had legitimate network support. to share those. On the internet.

Orayn

I knew I should have just kept MYE's design when I made a traditional layout version a few pages back. But nooo, had to try and use the Vita d-pad and did a bad job of it. :p

It would be awesome if somehow Sony made the touchpad become a keyboard to make typing easier. Perhaps a qwerty keyboard that illuminates when a keyboard is needed on screen? Would this even be possible?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
NOPE, MYE's is perfect as is, no need for a combination.
Only slight shape trimming, not as skinny as the DS3 but as round as MYE's, a bit more curvy

Have to be honest I would like something like the wiiu pad, Ive been using it and its great, but without a capacitive touch screen, the one above looks great but the screen is too small.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
This is fuckin awesome. I love the DS3 design. Hate the switched positions of the dpad/left stick on the xbox. Size is perfect, rumble feels great... don't fix what aint broke ect. ect.

Also.. for those saying the touch pad is bad or what not - the rear touch pad on my vita works great. scrolling and such on the internet... even as an extra trigger it would work without issue (as I don't rest my fingers on the back of the vita when I play)

I could easily see the pad used to navigate the PS store/uploading videos via the share button. Would work great as a simple track pad for cursor movement and occasional uses in games.

Lovin it. I'll definitely be buying 4 of them bad boys.

watershed

Banned
Is anyone excited about the touchpad inclusion? I would have been happier with an actual screen for typing or drawing. I hope there's more to this new controller like detachable sides and built in motion controls.

The analogue sticks look like they're in an uncomfortable position in MYE's mockup

How so? If anything, the spacing improves the complaint that "My thumbs touch"

It would be awesome if somehow Sony made the touchpad become a keyboard to make typing easier. Perhaps a qwerty keyboard that illuminates when a keyboard is needed on screen? Would this even be possible?

I dont think so, but what about the ability to track characters through finger tracing? Would be faster than the DPAD, but not as fast as a good old keyboard. Write out letters on the keypad, system recognizes the letter, and spits out the letter in digital font.

PSY・S;47193691 said:
Reminds me of the Dreamcast controller for some reason. It's probably the VMU window/DS4 touchpad part.

775px-Sega-Dreamcast-Cont-n-VMU.jpg

Speaking of VMUs, what happened to the account-syncing rumour?

sangreal

Speaking of VMUs, what happened to the account-syncing rumour?

that rumor didnt actually have anything to do with the controller. it was just describing the same system 360 uses where each user/controller can sign into a separate account. despite implying otherwise, the rumor (from Kotaku) explicitly stated that the account was not actually tied to the controller

PSY・S;47193691 said:
Reminds me of the Dreamcast controller for some reason. It's probably the VMU window/DS4 touchpad part.

775px-Sega-Dreamcast-Cont-n-VMU.jpg
This would be a good way to do the controller IMO. Sell the controller with a plug in port in the same manner as the DC controller. The plug in would be sold separate so as to keep costs lower.

The plug in LCD can double as an Media player/storage medium/whatever else can fit on a relatively small screen. The VMU had a lot of merit, it was just before its time. I think Sony or MS could nail it if they decided to include something like that. You'd expect it to look more like an IPod nano than a VMU.

ipod-nano-2012-02.jpg

RibMan

Sony could solve that problem very easily if they opted for a touchscreen in their controller.

Top Bottom