• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

kunonabi

Too anyone interested in Virtua Fighter 3, you must check this out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=067WEB3dN3c
This video documents balance changes from 3 -> 3tb, showcases lots of combos, and has match replays for every character. So great!

Awesome find, watched the first 20 minutes so far.

My copy of Super Producers arrived so I look forward to playing it who knows when. I also got a copy of Weakness Hero Toraumon coming sometime this week.

D.Lo

Finally got around to getting a replacement Dreamcast shell. I like to have special/unique consoles, and have wanted a transparent blue one to match my blue controller for years.

With PAL blue logos as well (it's actually an NTSC machine with a 240V power supply lol).

xEpE.jpg
Similar to my transparent black N64

kunonabi

Weakness Hero Toraumon showed up today. I didn't realize it came with an omake disc. I also ordered a VMU today. I have several but none of them have dust covers. I'm actually going to start playing VMU games again so it seemed like a worthwhile investment.

KC-Slater

Finally got around to getting a replacement Dreamcast shell. I like to have special/unique consoles, and have wanted a transparent blue one to match my blue controller for years.

With PAL blue logos as well (it's actually an NTSC machine with a 240V power supply lol).

Where did you source that?? I've been trying to find one, but availability has finally dried up online.

soultron

Banned
Anyone in Canada have a good source on DC VGA boxes? I moved houses and I lost my AV cable. :( Figure it's time to go VGA -> HDMI.

KC-Slater

Anyone in Canada have a good source on DC VGA boxes? I moved houses and I lost my AV cable. :( Figure it's time to go VGA -> HDMI.

If you're in/near Toronto, there's a game store in the PATH near Bay & Dundas that had some (although I think they were the Tomee VGA cables, not the boxes, for what it's worth) for under $30. Also try Iceman Games on Queen St W.

kunonabi

vmu games are supposed to have sound right? I just played some of the Zombie Revenge minigame and it was totally silent.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Whats the best DC emu these days? Any significant progress on any of them lately?

Conezays

Well, I broke and got a mint copy of Sturmwind for $148 USD. Don't think I'll see much better; looking forward to playing it on my Saturn pad with the Total Control adapter :)

Conezays

I hope you enjoy it, i might feel bad otherwise :)

Haha, I'm sure it's decent and you're definitely not alone in giving it praise. I'm just out of town at the moment, but some of the other NG DEV Team games arrived as well so I'll try to give some impressions of those shortly.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Been reading this thread recently and it amazes me how much support SEGA was able to give and to get for the DC in such a short amount of time and with such low sales.

How is it that Nintendo couldn't get a quarter of the support for the Wii which sold ten times better?

D.Lo

Been reading this thread recently and it amazes me how much support SEGA was able to give and to get for the DC in such a short amount of time and with such low sales.

How is it that Nintendo couldn't get a quarter of the support for the Wii which sold ten times better?
The DC was made when Japan were still dominant, and arcades were still around worldwide. Games were still largely a Japanese cultural export.

The Wii was released after a decade of Sony domination, over which time Sony had drifted west as they consolidated the EU/US as something of a monolithic market with only regional sports franchises to differentiate between them. Microsoft's money losing PC-in-a-box strategy was a large market distortion that pushed everything even further west, including Sony.

By that time even most Japanese devs turned their attention west, to get a slice of the heavily subsidised western pie. Even Sega. They all made their bed with Sony's 'inevitable dominance' with the PS3. That didn't really work out, but luckily they could hedge by releasing on the nearly identical 360 as well. The inertia was too great, and the worldwide smash hit Wii just wasn't part of their roadmaps.

We used to have Nintendo and Sega consoles for games with that Japanese feel. PC Engine and PS1 too. Now there's mostly only Nintendo left. Which sucks because as good as Nintendo are, they're the solid/quality but conservative wing of the Japanese tradition, at least their Kyoto teams are. Nintendo are so Kyoto it hurts, I miss the Tokyo craziness of the heyday Capcom/Sega/Konami trifecta.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I always wondered if publishers like Capcom was afraid of one company completely dominating console sales, and thus wanted to back the underdog. First the Dreamcast, then, with the Capcom5 and Resident Evil, the Gamecube. Surely a PS2-situation where Sony could exert total control would not be good for those publishers? A situation we unfortunately might seem to be approaching again now with the total dominance of the PS4.

D.Lo

I always wondered if publishers like Capcom was afraid of one company completely dominating console sales, and thus wanted to back the underdog. First the Dreamcast, then, with the Capcom5 and Resident Evil, the Gamecube. Surely a PS2-situation where Sony could exert total control would not be good for those publishers? A situation we unfortunately might seem to be approaching again now with the total dominance of the PS4.
I don't think it was that, though it's possible. It was just Japan-centric decision making.

Capcom's and SNK's fighting games sold very well on the Saturn in Japan. So that continued on the Dreamcast. The Naomi arcade board made that process very easy too.

The Gamecube situation was pure Mikami. Overall Capcom's output was vastly more on PS2, and eventually they pushed all the games to PS2 (exepy PN03) and with them Mikami out of the company.

That said, they did contribute to their own demise, though they didn't have too much choice. By going all western focused, Japan turned off from consoles on top of other factors that would do that. Now they're being dominated by western games.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
as good as Nintendo are, they're the solid/quality but conservative wing of the Japanese tradition, at least their Kyoto teams are. Nintendo are so Kyoto it hurts, I miss the Tokyo craziness of the heyday Capcom/Sega/Konami trifecta.
Ain't that the sad truth.
Plus, Nintendo are increasingly on their own and can't provide enough output to build rich libraries for their home consoles.

D.Lo

Ain't that the sad truth.
Plus, Nintendo are increasingly on their own and can't provide enough output to build rich libraries for their home consoles.
Well that problem is now solved. Honestly the consolidation of Nintendo's software development onto a single platform is the thing I am most excited about with the Switch, by far.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Well that problem is now solved. Honestly the consolidation of Nintendo's software development onto a single platform is the thing I am most excited about with the Switch, by far.
Same here but I'm not letting myself get excited until I see it happening. Rumors about the launch window so far don't sound like the problem is solved just yet.

kunonabi

Same here but I'm not letting myself get excited until I see it happening. Rumors about the launch window so far don't sound like the problem is solved just yet.

pretty much. I mean we're getting Mario and a bunch of ports. That doesn't sound like an amazing leap to me by any stretch.

Conezays

Well, I'm definitely enjoying Neo XYX despite the pretty punishing default difficulty; will definitely take me awhile to attempt 1CC. Graphics and music are great and would seem right at home on Saturn IMO. Haven't had a chance to test out TATE mode on my PVM but will definitely give that a shot soon; I played on the Horizontal and Vertical (S) modes. The only negative thing thus far was the game freezing on the latter mode. Hopefully was just a one-time thing; I do plan to play mainly in TATE though for whatever its worth.

Also got Fast Striker which seems good, but aesthetically Neo XYX is much more up my alley. Regardless, happy with both of them and really enjoy the box art. I've had pleasant experiences using the seller videogameimports on Ebay from the UK for any other Dreamcast fans interested in indies.

Update: Sturmwind has already arrived! It's odd how some stuff from Japan arrives in a few days whereas other stuff I wait for weeks, etc. Oh well. Seems cool so far for sure; the graphics look much better on the PVM versus clips I'd seen off youtube. Beating the first level without dying had me worried regarding difficulty so I was pleased when the 2nd boss destroyed me :p

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I don't think it was that, though it's possible. It was just Japan-centric decision making.

Capcom's and SNK's fighting games sold very well on the Saturn in Japan. So that continued on the Dreamcast. The Naomi arcade board made that process very easy too.

The Gamecube situation was pure Mikami. Overall Capcom's output was vastly more on PS2, and eventually they pushed all the games to PS2 (exepy PN03) and with them Mikami out of the company.

That said, they did contribute to their own demise, though they didn't have too much choice. By going all western focused, Japan turned off from consoles on top of other factors that would do that. Now they're being dominated by western games.

I guess you are right. REmake and RE Zero wasnt ported though, at least not untill this gen.

vsMIC

Looks good! I had to keep my green goblin green...

thank you, kind sir!

unfortunately i could not ever get into vf3tb after experiencing sc1 on dc. that game was just so consuming...

although i played every vf casually, i only started vf seriously with vf4 in arcades. really hoping for a vf6 announcement soon...

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
thank you, kind sir!

unfortunately i could not ever get into vf3tb after experiencing sc1 on dc. that game was just so consuming...

although i played every vf casually, i only started vf seriously with vf4 in arcades. really hoping for a vf6 announcement soon...

SC1 is really great!
VF3tb is probably the most difficult VF to enjoy casually... but over the years I've really grown to love it. It's a very daring game and I think its stages and animations look amazing!

tumblr_npbrpoRHvd1slig2vo1_400.gif

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
there is a black version of the NEC 71V. i worry i spilled the beans about it, it's become kind of a pain to find now.

leroidys

Brought the dreamcast back out to play some Mars Matrix. Checking ebay, looks like I totally missed the boat on 480p pvms, huh? :(

Looks good! I had to keep my green goblin green...

Cxd9vaWW8AAikZ6.jpg

What's the lag like on this monitor, if you don't mind my asking?

Top Bottom