• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Rozay out here creating jobs.

OEo4Ts7.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDskuwjGtFk

LionPride

Banned
ATLiens also has Elevators

Me and you
Your momma and your cousin too
Rolling down the strip on Vogues
Coming up, slamming Cadillac doors
Me and you
Your momma and your cousin too
Rolling down the strip on Vogues
Coming up, slamming Cadillac doors

I listened to Tyler's album a couple times now and I'm able to respond to Consequence of Sound's take on it:

His persona isn't what bothers me but I also don't think the sound and subject matter really ever resonate with me. When I listen to it it's like I'm listening to Tyler rapping over production that sounds awfully similar to The Internet and current Frank Ocean. It's varied but I hear very little relation between the subject matter and some of the mid song tempo changes and slight experiments that seem to flutter throughout the album. The album's biggest problem is Tyler's constant reliance on humor and sarcasm nearly incessantly, which causes him to sound disingenuous at the most inopportune of times squandering moments of vulnerability and what little trust he's built with his listeners. I don't intend to tell Tyler to change his persona but rather I'm just explaining the disconnect I experience when trying to engage his work as an artist. Self loathing can be seen as an attempt to instill empathy in others but without any sense of real grief or pain behind it it almost seems as if you're poking fun at a version of yourself that is so fictionalized that it's not you at all. The persona in Tyler's music is like this gay clown, and it becomes hard to separate the confession of sexuality from the hijinks. It's why I enjoy the album more as background noise than on deeper listens.
I stole this btw

Koozek

Why is Sampha not on my AOTY list. Every time I listen to the album I think it's fucking beautiful, but somehow it always slips my mind when I think of albums from this year.

LionPride

Banned
Why is Sampha not on my AOTY list. Every time I listen to the album I think it's fucking beautiful, but somehow it always slips my mind when I think of albums from this year.
It my #2 after DAMN. all this time for a reason

I just gotta put on Plastic 100ºC or Reverse Faults or Under or Incomplete Kisses and I just fuckin melt

LionPride

Banned
If it wasn't for Andre 3000 and LL Cool J, would we have as many niggas tryna sing who can't sing and as many niggas tryna rap who can't?

Like the amount of singin ass rap niggas who cannot fucking sing is absurd`

I also blame Pharell

Koozek

If it wasn't for Andre 3000 and LL Cool J, would we have as many niggas tryna sing who can't sing and as many niggas tryna rap who can't?

Like the amount of singin ass rap niggas who cannot fucking sing is absurd`

I also blame Pharell
Honestly, I personally like it more when rappers sing than professional singers most of the time because rappers have a more instinctive, unconventional approach to melodies and harmonizing that I find more interesting.

LionPride

Banned
Honestly, I personally like it more when rappers sing than professional singers most of the time because rappers have a more instinctive, unconventional approach to melodies and harmonizing that I find more interesting.

Jermaine
Kendrick
Wale

just three niggas who straight up cannot fucking sing

Gambino would be one of those but he finally took lessons and could sing

Nabs

What's with the LL slander?

Food and Liquor is a good example of how trained singers can sometimes overdo it. I had the demos to a few of the songs where Lupe handled the chorus before adding Gem or Sarah, and I thought he handled it well. Songs like He Say She Say felt more personal.

Koozek

What's with the LL slander?

Food and Liquor is a good example of how trained singers can sometimes overdo it. I had the demos to a few of the songs where Lupe handled the chorus before adding Gem or Sarah, and I thought he handled it well. Songs like He Say She Say felt more personal.
Yeah. Food & Liquor classis, btw.

LionPride

Banned
Listening to songs solely for Andre feats
What a legend

Since you been gone, I been having withdrawals
You were such a habit to call
I ain't myself at all, had to tell myself, "Naw
She better with some fella with a regular job"
I didn’t wanna get her involved
By dinner Mr. Benjamin was sitting in awe
Hopped into my car; drove far`
Far’s too close and I remember my memory's no sharp
Butter knife, what a life, anyway
I’m building y’all a clock, stop, what am I, Hemingway?
She had the kind of body that would probably intimidate
Any of ‘em that were un-southern, not me, cousin
If models are made for modelin'
Thick girls are made for cuddlin’
Switch worlds and we can huddle then
Who needs another friend? I need to hold your hand
You’d need no other man, we’d flee to other lands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom