• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

~Kinggi~ said:
5wb5sp.gif
:lol Link to video if there is one?

Tim-E

Holy FUCK this game is nerve wracking.

I'm playing with headphones on and I was walking around in the study near the beginning and
I see my first monster fucker dude walk around a nearby corner
and I'm fucking startled and I run back to the nearest closet that I remembered and just as I got there my wife crept up behind me and scared the shit out of me and I screamed. :lol

Nemic77 said:
Just had the most ridiculous reaction to a monster chase ever. Thank god I was alone while playing... :lol

Saw him at the end of a corridor while I had my lamp out, but I wasn't quick enough to put it out so he saw me pretty quickly. I started sprinting down the corridor back from where I came. ...When I thought I had lost him, I casually turn back to close a door, and the monster was right in my face!

I guess I was just too sure that the AI in this game wouldnt follow the player for so long, but this has never happened to me in a game before. I actually let out a whimper or whatever, dropped the mouse and distanced myself from the monitor. :lol

I think this was the worst scare I've ever had in a video game since Condemned: Criminal Origins... Thing is, this one wasn't scripted!

Awesome game so far, can't wait for the Devs to release the Level Editor!

Its this kind of reaction to a game that I love. Downloading the demo now.

I have to quit for the night, I am in the wine cellar and I just scared myself shitless. I am playing in the dark alone in my house by myself and my sound is turned a tad high to get the full effect of the game.

Well anyway, someone signed out of the instant messaging client that is running in the background and the sound that plays is a very loud door slam when signing offline. I jumped in my seat and my heart skipped a beat.

What's got me intrigued at the moment is the "custom story" or whatever option on the title screen. I wonder what's going to go there? DLC or user-generated content maybe?

I think I play this game really differently than you guys. For me, I'd rather get the scare over with, so I full on sprint into the scariest looking parts then evac the shit out of it if there's something horrible there.

Zeliard

theinfinityissue said:
What's got me intrigued at the moment is the "custom story" or whatever option on the title screen. I wonder what's going to go there? DLC or user-generated content maybe?

Nemic earlier mentioned something about a level editor so I'm hoping we see some custom campaigns, both from the devs and from the community.

It seems like the type of game that should facilitate that sort of thing more than most others, given the minimalistic story design.

Despera

Banned
I've been playing the game for an hour now. Nothing scary yet... I'm at the place where you need to mix chemicals...

btw, I loved the Penumbra games. Is this game as scary as those?

nero2082

I thought this game would fly through unrecognized, I'm glad it's not the case

They're setting the bar for whole horror genre, I think they can be up there with Silent Hill 1/2 type of fright, as like SH1/2 I'm afraid to actually boot up the game :lol

owlbeak

The game fucking drowns in atmosphere as much as STALKER if not more, which is impressive since it's an indoor setting. Lovin' it! :D

Nemic77

Eaten By A Grue said:
Now I remember what this game reminds me of, that old game made on the original Unreal engine. Clive Baker's Undying. Well it is sort of like it. I have been wracking my mind all night trying to remember it.

Edit: Now that I am watching videos of it, perhaps it is not like it. My memory has failed me.

Actually, it has one resemblence... It's the flashbacks. Both games have them with similar features, such as echoing voices and distorted visuals. I also couldnt shake the feeling that something was familiar...

Btw, here's a cool video showing a timelapse of the level editor I mentioned a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XojVUZJPmc

Max

I am not Max
Goddam getting around that rubble to get to the study took me much longer than it should have. You really need to pay attention, I'm so happy I figured it out now though after spending so much time walking aimlessly.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

WTF

about and hour and a half in...
THE FUCKING WATER MONSTER PART FUCK! The part after the demo. Where you're straight fucking RUNNING fucking SLAMMING DOORS fucking JUMPING OVER BOXES AND SHIT! GGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I had to stop playing for a bit afterwards. FUCK. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK.

I've never been so scared by a game. Oh my god.

Max

I am not Max
BobsRevenge said:
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

WTF

about and hour and a half in...
THE FUCKING WATER MONSTER PART FUCK! The part after the demo. Where you're straight fucking RUNNING fucking SLAMMING DOORS fucking JUMPING OVER BOXES AND SHIT! GGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I had to stop playing for a bit afterwards. FUCK. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK.

I've never been so scared by a game. Oh my god.
I KNOW RIGHT.

So terrifying.
I ended up just sitting on the first barricade of boxes and getting mauled :lol

I just finished the demo...
ofoz6r.jpg

I don't think I could take a whole game of that. Fuck that
invisible monster.

Before I play the full game, I still need to play the Penumbra series.

Demo was awesome! what is the full length of the game? Oh and the atmosphere in this game :O. Plus the sound design coupled with the sanity/insanity stuff is seriously good business.

Oh god oh man. Hairs on the back of my neck a couple of times.
My legs are shaking, just got past where the demo ends and made it to the little sort of hub world with nice comforting music.

This game definitely needs to be experienced in the dark and with headphones. Fffffuuu so good and so scary. Anyone feel there are too many tinderboxes and oil? I've been breezing through it with a good amount of light, perhaps I'm missing out on some of the insanity effects as mentioned with the painting.

And reading that the enemies can follow you just made me a whole lot more scared of them :I they seem so much part of the wallpaper from the first few times I've seen them strolling about. Hypothesis re: the walkers
they're the guys who Brennenburg locked up in the wine cellar, there's barely any bodily remains down there. Unless the darkness ate them

Maybe there should be a hard mode: no lamp

Nemic77

TheExecutive said:
Demo was awesome! what is the full length of the game? Oh and the atmosphere in this game :O. Plus the sound design coupled with the sanity/insanity stuff is seriously good business.

I'd say around 8 hours. Also there appears to be multiple endings, so add that to the lasting appeal... (plus the level editor and eventual custom maps :p)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
ninj4junpei said:
Before I play the full game, I still need to play the Penumbra series.
They're okay, but they seriously don't compare. At all. This is short of a masterpiece right here.

God damn I love reading the reactions to everyones' experiences. This is fucking great.

Also, didn't they say they were including a level editor with release?

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
God damn I love reading the reactions to everyones' experiences. This is fucking great.

Also, didn't they say they were including a level editor with release?

They have said they'll release it after they work through any post-release issues.

Bebpo

Banned
Game is good, creepy.

Wish I had maps to go by like Penumbra. I suck at remembering the layouts of these games.

That's it I'm done for tonight.

There is no freaking way I'm going into the area after the elevator. I felt a beed of sweat come out as I ran from the walker in the store room. The fucker killed me because I suck at hiding. Pro tip don't hide behind a barrel, they real tall.
Bebpo said:
Game is good, creepy.

Wish I had maps to go by like Penumbra. I suck at remembering the layouts of these games.
It's graduated from the Half Life school, your route gets blocked off as you progress so you can't stray or waste too much time getting lost.

I'm highly skeptical much can come from a level editor, it'd be cool if people make more content but I think it would be really tough to make anything that compares to what Frictional has done here.

Inkwell

Banned
This game is doing a number on my nerves. I've pretty much avoided reading up, watching videos, and playing the demo of this game. It definitely plays a lot like Penumbra, but there's enough changes to where I feel very uneasy. I haven't gotten to a point where I'm familiar and comfortable with the game mechanics, and I don't have a damn clue what to expect.

So far:
I just got past the point where I used the acid. I'm running dangerously low on oil and tinder boxes. I'm not quite sure I understand how enemies work. I mean, with the first one you have to deal with I hid in that closet. I thought it was gone, until I heard it when I left the room. I proceeded to run like hell. Then, in the wine cellar it seems like the enemy there just disappeared after I hid from it.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Inkwell said:
So far:
I just got past the point where I used the acid. I'm running dangerously low on oil and tinder boxes. I'm not quite sure I understand how enemies work. I mean, with the first one you have to deal with I hid in that closet. I thought it was gone, until I heard it when I left the room. I proceeded to run like hell. Then, in the wine cellar it seems like the enemy there just disappeared after I hid from it.
If you don't understand what's up
with the monsters
, that's really the best situation you could be in as a player in this game.

wmat said:
with the monsters
Can you elaborate without spoiling? Do you mean that the unknowing adds to their fearfulness?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I just let out the weirdest fucking sound while running away from one of those dudes and finding myself backed into a well lit corner. I hope I didn't wake one of my roommates. :lol

It has some concept art and sketches. The password is here but apparently it contains mad spoilers so I'm avoiding for the time being.

lke271tyr299odn314

Inkwell

Banned
wmat said:
with the monsters
I'm not sure if you mean it's the best situation for the story or gameplay (or both), but I can at least agree on this with gameplay. I want to be scared when I play this. Not knowing how things work adds to the fear quite a bit. It makes it feel less like a game with obvious limitations and adds to the immersion.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Visualante said:
Can you elaborate without spoiling? Do you mean that the unknowing adds to their fearfulness?
Unless you want to actively hurt your playing experience, don't read this:
They're often not actually there, for example; it's just sound. And they're not hard to deal with, it just appears that way because of the lighting, the post processing, the camera effects and the setting.
Something similar is going on with the darkness's effect on your sanity, it's not really severe, it's just portrayed as if it were.

Bebpo

Banned
Also one thing I dislike is the "staying in darkness is bad for you" angle because when I play these games I like to take my time and explore EVERYTHING. As in every inch of every room, opening every drawer, cabinet, etc...

Now I feel like the game is pushing me to just keep moving instead of taking my time. I see how it adds to the oppressive atmosphere and should work to make it more scary, but I like exploring :|

God's Beard said:
SACRIFICING WARRIOR FIGURES AND CARRYING CRUCIFIXES DOES NOT KEEP YOU SAFE FROM THE DARKNESS

I REPEAT

DOES NOT KEEP YOU SAFE

pshaw. I figured that out hours ago.

Breaking bottles does seem to keep my character's morale up, though. I think.

Max

I am not Max
Wishing I could play this right now during night time, but I just can't. I'll wake someone up if I shout :lol

deadnoob

I didnt get too far, but damn I am scared.. It didnt help that my car alarm was randomly going off to freak me out even more.

Zeliard

I think while playing this game, if I were to say, lightly be tapped on the shoulder without warning, I would probably have a heart attack on the spot.

I only had the chance to just barely start tonight, but even after a mere half-hour, Amnesia is SERIOUSLY impressing me. Can't wait to get further and figure out what's going on/see what freaky shit the game has in store.

And I agree with some of the posts above; that "Custom Game" thing stood out to me. I'd love to see some user-created content or maybe shorter DLC stories from the developer.

If I end up digging this game in full as much as I have so far, would it be worth going back to check out the Penumbra stuff?

KefkaTaran said:
If I end up digging this game in full as much as I have so far, would it be worth going back to check out the Penumbra stuff?
yes, definitely. especially black plague. penumbras are quite a bit rougher mechanically though

Gassey

Banned
It's probably the most "Looking Glass" game I've played since Looking Glass folded. I hope Greg LoPiccolo, Ken Levine, Eric Brosius et al get a chance to look this awesome game over.

The other team this reminds me of is Valve. I think - if these guys had to call it quits if this game doesn't sell well enough - they they'd fit right in at the Valve camp.

It's an incredible effort for such a small team.

Gassey said:
The other team this reminds me of is Valve. I think - if these guys had to call it quits if this game doesn't sell well enough - they they'd fit right in at the Valve camp.

Hey now, let's just hope this sells well enough and get the word out. But, yes, I totally agree. The expert manipulation of atmosphere is very Valve-esque.

Top Bottom