• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

How is online in the game? I know it was a concern during the lead up to the game's release. Had been interested in the game but it came out the same day I went back to uni so it fell to the wayside.

Anyways, have never played a KOF game before and am thinking about picking this up now.

Its really good, though finding matches can sometimes be hassle

Relique

Nowadays most matches are very smooth. I am from Chicago and regularly play with people from the East and West coast with very little lag. You can tell it's not quite offline but the delay is so small it never gets in the way in execution.

WIth that being said I find a laggy match every once in a while but that could be due to them having wifi or being from South America or what have you.

The only complaint I have is that for me it's hard to enter the lobbies sometimes, I keep getting an error and it takes many tries to successfully join. I am not sure how wide spread this issue is.

The bottom line is that despite the smallish number of players you can easily get smooth matches during most times. It may take a little patience or a few tries to enter a specific lobby or find an opponent around your skill level. Most of the players I run into are pretty good.

Manbig

This is one of those cases where there's so few people playing that you will familiarize yourself with the regulars pretty quickly. If you find someone relatively close to your skill level, or who is willing to teach you, be sure to buddy up with them. Also, check out places like Dream Cancel's Discord to find competition or more people to ask advice from.

Played some great matches online earlier today. Mostly got bopped but learned a lot and was able to adjust through most of them. Nelson-Luong is a really fun match-up.

BadWolf

When the KOFXIV balance patch drops but Nakoruru still haunts your nightmares.

Canada Cup this weekend, another qualifier event for the KOFXIV championship.

Players qualified so far:

Xiaohai (SEAM)
Reynald (SCR)

Anyone expecting top players to switch characters after the patch?

Played some great matches online earlier today. Mostly got bopped but learned a lot and was able to adjust through most of them. Nelson-Luong is a really fun match-up.

Was trying out Nelson this weekend as well, he's super fun and great for screwing over zoners with.

So many people have been whining about Terry after the latest patch, where his light burn knuckle is no longer dumb, so I took him for a serious spin the weekend. All I can say is if that is what it takes for people to drop him then those people had no idea how to play him to begin with.

On a side note it was fun playing against people who didn't know that their characters got nerfed. Had a nice laugh at an Athena player who kept trying to get me with her command grab, not knowing that the start up invincibility is gone. Or the K' players trying to get you with Narrow Spike (and eating a full combo now).

Spuck-uk

Banned
What changed to make Nelson less awful against Zoners, just his D dash?

I'm expecting to see more Iori/Benimaru/Leonas as the new top tiers.

Probably some more Luongs as well, 600 damage for 2 bars is ridiculous.

stn

Who should I play if I'm coming from a Street Fighter background? I've been using some form of Athena, Geese, and Andy. But I'm terrible, lol. Are any of the following considered easy to play:

-Maxima
-Clark
-Joe

Thanks.

BadWolf

I don't think he was awful against zoners to begin with. Both his B and D dashes have always been good against non-ground fireballs and against moves that can be low profiled due to the upper body invincibility. He can go right under and stay in their face or punish or supercancel. And now the D dash buff gives him that extra edge. Add the EX dash into the mix and yeah, he can get in.

Just to give an example, Athena can be standing on the other side of the screen and the moment you see her start throwing a fireball (as in just see the start up animation) you can input the D dash and be in her face while completely clearing the fireball.

Many characters can score 60%+ damage for 2 bars (Ryo, Terry, Chin, Ralf and more).

Who should I play if I'm coming from a Street Fighter background? I've been using some form of Athena, Geese, and Andy. But I'm terrible, lol. Are any of the following considered easy to play:

-Maxima
-Clark
-Joe

Thanks.

Depends on what kinds of characters you favor. Like do you prefer zoners, grapplers, pokers or hybrids etc.?

stn

I like all archetypes but I tend to gravitate towards characters with safe special chipping and good AA options. In terms of grapplers, do tick throws work here just like they do in every other fighter (i.e. throw poke on block, wait for block stun to end, and then grab?).

These days I tend to favor characters with easy game plans because I have too many games to play and barely any time due to work.

BadWolf

I like all archetypes but I tend to gravitate towards characters with safe special chipping and good AA options. In terms of grapplers, do tick throws work here just like they do in every other fighter (i.e. throw poke on block, wait for block stun to end, and then grab?).

These days I tend to favor characters with easy game plans because I have too many games to play and barely any time due to work.

Tick throws don't work the same as in SF. When someone gets hit or blocks in KOF they are given a few frames of throw invincibility. There are exceptions with throws that have a natural delay (like Clark's B SAB or Daimon DP+K etc.) but generally speaking don't expect to tick throw people like in SF. There are also frames of throw invincibility on an opponent's wake up so you can't throw someone immediately after they get up like in SF.

If you want good all around characters that you can be effective with quickly then have a look at characters like Robert, Kula, Terry, Love Heart and Muimui. They also all have easy BnB combos that do great damage for little effort.

Manbig

I'm expecting to see more Iori/Benimaru/Leonas as the new top tiers.

His dashes were always his unique anti fireball (sans ground moving fireballs until the changes to D dash) tool, but every character in KOF is able to deal with zoners by outgaining meter on them, having various jump archs and run speeds so they can negate their frame advantage by running up and blocking up close, and landing a shitload more damage for guessing right with a jump versus a fireball than what they take from chip or stray fireballs hitting them.

The meter thing is especially important. Outside of dumb shit like pre-patch K', you put yourself at a significant meter disadvantage when you stick to spamming fireballs.

As Juicebox has said several times on his stream, most people in KOF don't know how to deal with fireball zoning because they approach it with a Street Fighter mindset and end up falling for the set ups that take advantage of this approach.

So I am looking for some ideas on team composition. I haven't played much the past couple weeks and haven't had time to play with the latest patch but am wondering if I should switch things up while the patch is still new.

I usually played Terry/Iori/K' with some Geese thrown in and Hein as well. I am fine with K' nerfs from what I've read but I think they may have gone a little to far on him but I am not opposed to using him still.

BadWolf

I just found out that you can now piano both punch buttons when trying to execute Chang's spinning ball special.

THIS. CHANGES. EVERYTHING.

Nice, you couldn't do this before I'm guessing?

Don't know how much more viable they will be overall but they buffed Chang and Choi a lot.

So I am looking for some ideas on team composition. I haven't played much the past couple weeks and haven't had time to play with the latest patch but am wondering if I should switch things up while the patch is still new.

I usually played Terry/Iori/K' with some Geese thrown in and Hein as well. I am fine with K' nerfs from what I've read but I think they may have gone a little to far on him but I am not opposed to using him still.

You can try new characters if you like but Terry/Iori/K'/Geese/Hein are still very solid post patch.

K' got hit the hardest of them but what they removed were things that made him dumb, he's still very strong. Geese and Hein got good buffs. Iori is about the same (which technically makes him stronger with the nerfing of various top tiers). Terry's light burn knuckle is not spammable anymore but still safe if spaced properly.

Replaced by Nelson, kinda, which is a shame, because yeah, her design and animation is fantastic.

Nope, if he's the successor to anyone it's Heavy D.

Nelson and Vanessa are very different.

Nelson is actually a very unique boxer because he is based on Angel's Unchain system.

Nice, you couldn't do this before I'm guessing?

Don't know how much more viable they will be overall but they buffed Chang and Choi a lot.

Indeed, you could only execute Chang's spinning ball by mashing a singular punch button; you couldn't piano both buttons until now.

Seriously, I think that's a big change for Chang. The move itself does 100 base damage, and the cancel is now easier to execute with this piano implementation. I don't think he'll get dramatic usage, but the chances of seeing a Chang like this one is now increased, I think.

Amedo310

K' lost the brain-dead effectiveness of being a pointer character. He's almost a carbon copy of 02UM K' with the same tools except, no building insane meter with his bnb ein trigger to flame minute spike combo, no fast overhead, cross-up j. C, or easy 40 to 50% corner combo that does not require meter. Of course, 1.03 K' has some better stuff like better use of max mode and better mid-screen damage.

Chase17

Picked up the game yesterday and went through the tutorial before messing around in mission mode.

Going to be a bit before I can learn three characters before jumping into much else.

So many people have been whining about Terry after the latest patch, where his light burn knuckle is no longer dumb, so I took him for a serious spin the weekend. All I can say is if that is what it takes for people to drop him then those people had no idea how to play him to begin with.

I don't know if you're referring to that one Facebook group but between the Terry and Clark threads yeah the nonsense is pretty much rampant in there.

Manbig

Picked up the game yesterday and went through the tutorial before messing around in mission mode.

Going to be a bit before I can learn three characters before jumping into much else.

Approach KOF in a mechanics first way. The universal mechanics of KOF allows everyone to play a similar offensive and defensive game. You'll be much better off learning this stuff than going right into character specifics. That's a mistake that a lot of people make when learning games like this and Tekken.

Chase17

Approach KOF in a mechanics first way. The universal mechanics of KOF allows everyone to play a similar offensive and defensive game. You'll be much better off learning this stuff than going right into character specifics. That's a mistake that a lot of people make when learning games like this and Tekken.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll start with figuring out all this jumping.

Amedo310

Well shit. All of my 4 frame safe jumps are actually 5. Kyo's wake up was off be 1 frame. I'm to update all my videos next month.

BadWolf

Post patch FT10 set between Dakou and Xiaohai

If you want to see excellent KOF movement, fundamentals, whiff punishes, gambles and confirms then watch it for your learning pleasure. Dakou is the only one I've seen who has been able to keep up with Xiaohai in all aspects like this, especially those whiff punishes.

Oh and Xiaohai is running Robert on point and is scary AF with him. His Luong is impressive as well. Dakou is one of the few top players sticking with Kyo, very impressive with him.

Also, this is super cool:

KOF XIV Team theme BGM 8bit cover collection

Indeed, you could only execute Chang's spinning ball by mashing a singular punch button; you couldn't piano both buttons until now.

Seriously, I think that's a big change for Chang. The move itself does 100 base damage, and the cancel is now easier to execute with this piano implementation. I don't think he'll get dramatic usage, but the chances of seeing a Chang like this one is now increased, I think.

Damn, that's a super impressive Chang. Most of the stuff done there should technically be possible in XIV. You'd need a really good player to commit to him though.

I don't know if you're referring to that one Facebook group but between the Terry and Clark threads yeah the nonsense is pretty much rampant in there.

Both are very solid in XIV. I mean, all those complaints about Clark's normals, have they even played Clark before XIII? These are his actual normals that he had for years before they had to take shortcuts and give him Ralf's normals to save on time/money in XIII. They whine while ET from Taiwan is rocking Clark at tournaments and kicking ass, just like he did in XIII and other KOFs.

I think Alioune still plays some Kensou you might want to catch his stream as well.

https://www.twitch.tv/aliounesensei
thanks for the rec but I actually already follow alioune, Are there any more notable players that also play obscure characters and also stream?

I hope the recent patch compressed the tiers some because while there is an abundance of guide videos showing what a character can do it's really hard to find actual good play of anyone outside of the tippity top

stn

Spent time touching a bunch of characters last night. Think I'm finally settling on Love Heart, Geese, and Andy. Any guides out there on Love?

Pezking

Way behind the rest of you, but my Japanese copy arrived today. Nice surprise to see it has an awesome reversible cover!

03fPljPl.jpg

I love that reversible cover.

Does the english-language asian version feature it as well?

Or are japanese copies playable in english anyway?

sinkfla87

Hey everyone. New to GAF here and fairly new to KOF. I couldn't find a single match the other night online which was saddening because I had spent a lot of time training with Leona :(. Still learning all the ins and outs of the mechanics but I'd like to level up and play some games with you fine people. If anyone is interested in walloping a scrub my psn is SinkFla lol. Do you guys ever have GAF lobbies?

Loona

Hey everyone. New to GAF here and fairly new to KOF. I couldn't find a single match the other night online which was saddening because I had spent a lot of time training with Leona :(. Still learning all the ins and outs of the mechanics but I'd like to level up and play some games with you fine people. If anyone is interested in walloping a scrub my psn is SinkFla lol. Do you guys ever have GAF lobbies?

Did you search in your own region/country or All? Depending on the country and its size it may only be possible to get matches if you set the region search to All.

BadWolf

They kind of messed matchmaking up with the last patch, really hoping for fixes.

- They introduced the region filter, so now people use that when setting up rooms and stick to their own regions. So their rooms don't show up when you search All.
- There is an issue where it seems searching All and Same Region doesn't combine results. Searching them separately will give different results.

I'm in Canada and was playing no prob against US and JP players prior to the patch, but the region filter completely screwed me over since those regions don't show up anymore and no one in Canada is playing.

So I ended up setting up US and JP accounts and switch between them depending on time of day. Between these two accounts I'm finding plenty of matches again.

Also, host rooms yourself. I set one up and after playing a match return to the room and often find it full of players.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't help that region lock (unless the patch changed it) gives every European country as far as I can tell its own region; Guilty Gear does it too but only for the lobby system. Doing EU West/East seems like it would be a lot more productive.

Going to a KOF 14 tournament tomorrow. I'm gonna bring the Touchy Uncle Xanadu to that tourney. I've practiced dozens of hours of Xanadu and now it's time to see what I can do. Also got Ramon, Mature, Vice, Daimon, Chin, Terry, Clark, and Leona to use. Gotta show that I'm the Kingest of Fighters.

It doesn't help that region lock (unless the patch changed it) gives every European country as far as I can tell its own region; Guilty Gear does it too but only for the lobby system. Doing EU West/East seems like it would be a lot more productive.

The worst thing about all of this is still that the game automatically ties your region to that of your PSN account.

Top Bottom