• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie defends Polish politician who believes women are less intelligent than men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah he has very disgusting views and all that...but have you seen his eyes!?

PewDiePie-Gender-Wage-Gap.jpg
I like how he's progressively started to physically resemble Milo more and more.

I remember the defense force on PewDiePie

"He's just being sarcastic"

"It's an ironic joke about x,y,z"

There's a limit to hiding behind "LOL JK" before people ultimately react the way they did with his first controversy with that poor taste Nazi joke. Now he's just exposed himself as another idiot with shit views.
Back then I was saying that his actions were motivated by being part of the generation where growing up on South Park and Family Guy and generally anti-semitic humor was considered edgy and funny as opposed to being motivated by genuine anti-semitic beliefs. We should remember that not all our favorite progressive liberal gaming personalities were the most politically correct. If you like the McElroy brothers, who are pretty damn progressive, I challenge you to go back and listen to their older MBMBaM podcasts. So I was willing to give some benefit of the doubt that he might mature from the incident and grow up.

Immediately after that though? Yeah seeing the people he threw in with after the incident and now this. It's pretty apparent there's something deeper than just a desire to imitate Cartman to appeal to immature gamers. He's garbage.

Slayven

He's making millions upon millions of dollars without MSM giving a shit. He and other youtubers have fought for Youtube to be a platform that MSM takes seriously but at this point he's better off if Youtube stays relatively ignored by the MSM. I typed in "PewDiePie" in google expecting to see more articles and headlines to pop up about this story, but nothing came up. Not being part of MSM yet still having 56 million followers is actually the best thing for him right now.

That is the point i don't get, he got his and making it worse for his peers. Limiting the potential of the platform is going to hit them way worse then them

I expect some of y'all who told us he wasn't a shithead to be in here with apologies.

That is the point i don't get, he got his and making it worse for his peers. Limiting the potential of the platform is going to hit them way worse then them

Which is why they stan for him no matter what, they already plotted the course, they have to do this now or risk going broke.

Nydius

Y'all imagine children's programming 30 years ago saying this kind of shit?

Mr. Rodgers told me every damn morning that I was just as special as the white kids living next door to me. Reading Rainbow taught me that everybody is equal when you've got knowledge.

Pewdiepie is teaching kids that rape is funny and women should shut the hell up.

What I'm about to type does not, in any way, mean I'm disputing your last part. PDP is disgusting, his reach is too vast and too easy to maintain, and his behavior deleterious to the development of inclusive behaviors and critical thought processes.

However, regarding children's programming of yore: Sadly, it doesn't seem like the messages that were being taught by Mr. Rodgers, Sesame Street, 3-2-1 Contact, Reading Rainbow, Picture Pages, Pinwheel, You Can't Do That On Television, and others stuck with people in my demographic. I look at the breakdowns on voting and issues from last year's election and I see over half of white 30-44 year olds and white 45-64 year olds: Voted for Trump, don't believe in the gender wage gap, and are in favor of the wall. Worse still, many of those are white women.

It annoys the hell out of me. Those shows (not to mention shows that came after, like Blue's Clues and Rugrats) highlighted the value of diversity and inclusion but the generation(s) of white America who grew up with those shows as children (e: and arguably had more consistent access to them than minority Americans due to financial privilege) have decided to follow in their conservative parents footsteps anyway.

PewDiePie then went on to discuss the gender wage gap. “What they did with the gender gap is they took all men, and all women, and did a median on it and said ‘oh okay, women earn this amount less than men in general,'” he said.”What they didn’t take into account was pretty much anything at all, like women working less hours, women choosing less high-paying jobs and so on.” He concluded: “If you’re a female watching this, I want you to know that you are not what the media or politicians or people on Twitter try to tell you… or even what I am [trying to tell you]. You’re not weak, you are not less privileged, you are strong. I think it’s a real unhealthy way of looking at things. What happened to ‘I am a woman hear me roar?’ It’s become ‘I am a woman, I earn less than men'"

I'm confused, isn't this a very good quote? The only issue I could potentially see if "you are not less privileged" which isn't true but apart from that he seems to be speaking positively for women. Unless I'm misinterpreting it.

It already has. Many of the pranksters and full on and border line alt righters have been posting less and less content because most if not all of their content became demonetized. Most of them are going the patreon route now but patreon supporters can't match what the advertising revenue was paying them.

Slayven

I expect some of y'all who told us he wasn't a shithead to be in here with apologies.

Which is why they stan for him no matter what, they already plotted the course, they have to do this now or risk going broke.
IF your choice was a shit sandwich now, or one later. you would think somone would be working on a third option
The reason other youtubers defend this dude is easy to understand.

He's the biggest one, if he fails, the rest of them have their money in jeopardy, so of course they all rally around him.

They're all terrified of when the bubble will burst (and it's a coming) and none of them bar the few smart ones that branched out have any sort of fallback.

The really smart ones have branched out beyond just videos. Make up youtubbers are the real hustlers

D i Z

Time to sit down with the youth in our lives and explain to them why they should be unsubbed from his channel.

Maledict

As usual, as soon as someone starts using the word 'females' to describe women you know they are a sexist, fucked up right winger. It's a rule that hasn't failed so far, and gets proven here again.

ItIsOkBro

I'm confused, isn't this a very good quote? The only issue I could potentially see if "you are not less privileged" which isn't true but apart from that he seems to be speaking positively for women. Unless I'm misinterpreting it.

women: we earn less than men
pdp: nuh uh that's not true now roar

??????

Y'all imagine children's programming 30 years ago saying this kind of shit?

Mr. Rodgers told me every damn morning that I was just as special as the white kids living next door to me. Reading Rainbow taught me that everybody is equal when you've got knowledge.

Pewdiepie is teaching kids that rape is funny and women should shut the hell up.

God Damn...

Gutek

Whenever people tell me that the world will be better when the boomers die off, I remember Pewdiepie, Milo, and YouTube comments, and die a little bit inside. The next generations are going to be even more indecent. Just horrible, horrible people. Top kek, indeed.

Cat Party

Worst thing is this dude's target audience is really fucking young.
Yup. Parents are completely ignorant to this stuff, too. They don't think their kids are going to be exposed to vile political opinions while just watching someone play Minecraft or whatever.

The way gaming is being taken over by disgusting right wing politics on an international level is so distressing. I feel like gamergate was only the start, and that it will continue to get worse. The industry can solve this though. Just a question of whether it wants to.

What the hell? He says that women choose lower paying jobs and work fewer hours
To a certain extent this is truish in that women are more often the primary caregiver so they more often deemphasize their career to take care of their children. However, this presumes that no one has taken high school statistics except for PewDiePie. Even when this taken into account, women are still paid less.

I don't get why people let their kids watch this dude to begin with.

He cusses like a fucking sailor, I watched half of one video and went "nope, you're not allowed, watch other people".

Any cuss words disqualify anything he's listening too.

Back then I was saying that his actions were motivated by being part of the generation where growing up on South Park and Family Guy and generally anti-semitic humor was considered edgy and funny as opposed to being motivated by genuine anti-semitic beliefs. We should remember that not all our favorite progressive liberal gaming personalities were the most politically correct. If you like the McElroy brothers, who are pretty damn progressive, I challenge you to go back and listen to their older MBMBaM podcasts. So I was willing to give some benefit of the doubt that he might mature from the incident and grow up.

Immediately after that though? Yeah seeing the people he threw in with after the incident and now this. It's pretty apparent there's something deeper than just a desire to imitate Cartman to appeal to immature gamers. He's garbage.

It's not so much about political correctness. He's a YouTuber with huge exposure to some of the most malleable and formative minds out there, he should know that wasn't the platform to make that kind of controversial jokes. With Family Guy and South Park, they know what they are and hold no punches, whereas with PewDiePie there's (IMO, I think people will disagree with me on this) a weird tonal shift between his "LOL JK/LOL SO FANNY XD" humour that appeals to kids and teenagers and edgy humour that just looks and sounds off in relation to some of the things he's well known for.

I thought that the Nazi joke was the beginning of PewDiePie exposing his real views, so I'm not surprised that he's said something like this.

RocknRola

He is a fool. What worries me is all of the young impressionable fans who are going to take his side.

Yeah, that's the actual problem/danger here.

Him being an asshole? It's fine, it makes him look foolish and standing on the wrong side of history.

Him being an asshole with a platform worth 56+ million people/kids? That's a real issue. Especially when plenty of similar popular "YT Stars" have similar views. It's a big issue that needs to be fixed ASAP.

NimbusD

Why would anyone give two shits what this dude thinks in the matter. He makes silly YouTube videos, how does that give him insight into the struggles of living life as a woman or politics in general.

WarLox

Such insight

On Korwin-Mikke:

Source: http://www.craveonline.com/design/1...olitician-believes-women-less-intelligent-men

It's really scary to me that kids look up to PDP when he spews bullshit like this. Looks like the previous nazi stuff was not a one-off thing. Big surprise!

Call me human garbage and call on your army of followers to dox and harass me if old

So, do you disagree? Exactly which points do you disagree with? What is your counter argument?

Are you trying to have a discussion or do you just want a pile on?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Why would anyone give two shits what this dude thinks in the matter. He makes silly YouTube videos, how does that give him insight into the struggles of living life as a woman or politics in general.
He has tens of millions of viewers. His toxic words spread far and wide.

And a huge problem is, is that his audience is mainly children.

Yup. Parents are completely ignorant to this stuff, too. They don't think their kids are going to be exposed to vile political opinions while just watching someone play Minecraft or whatever.

The way gaming is being taken over by disgusting right wing politics on an international level is so distressing. I feel like gamergate was only the start, and that it will continue to get worse. The industry can solve this though. Just a question of whether it wants to.

How do parents control that content? Just curious as my kid is only two and it's a conversation we've had between my wife and I in terms of how to regulate crap like that.

Nokterian

He is a fool. What worries me is all of the young impressionable fans who are going to take his side.

And he doesn't understand what the fuck he is doing, he thinks it is all OK..and yet it is not OK at all.

Very worrisome on how kids will think and react on a way that parents will have them shocked. Pewdiepie doesn't know what responsibility is and mostly influence.

Garjon

So fed up of these two brain-cell youtubers. Google needs to be held accountable for allowing them to flourish.

He's chatting bollocks for views, same as far too many other YTers because it's an easy way to get money. Something controversial like this is guaranteed to bring in the clicks as well. I suspect he thinks this is all a big pile of nothing and while other YTers jump in to criticise/defend, he'll go on like nothing happened and watch the money roll in.

There are talks in UK and other European countries' parliaments about holding big social media companies to account for the actions of users. The problem is that these members of parliament know absolutely nothing about the internet. Social media has exploded far beyond the control of governments and while that has been a good thing in many cases, it has led to it being used for nefarious means with people in power struggling to keep up.

That's the problem. When people can just spout off hot takes that have no basis in rationality nor backed up by peer-reviewed research, that shit spreads like wildfire to those 56mil users subbed to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom