• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

Is a WW2 film are harder sell these days? We're so many years out from the actual events, and I'm not sure if today's audience has the appreciation for them.

kswiston

Weekend studio estimates

1) Dunkirk - $50.5M
2) Girls Trip - $30.4M
3) Spider-Man Homecoming - $22.0M (-50%) - $252M total
4) War for the Planet of the Apes - $20.4M (-64%) - $98M total
5) Valerian - $17.0M
6) Despicable Me 3 - $12.7M (-34%) - $213M total
7) Baby Driver - 6.0M (-31%) - $84M total
8) The Big Sick - $5.0M (-33%) - $25M total
9) Wonder Woman - $4.6M (-32%) - $389M total
10) Cars 3 - $1.9M (-38%) - $144M total

jett

D-Member
Dunkirk is coming in at the low-end of the early estimations, right?

And I guess Apes isn't a crowd pleaser. Hopefully I'll watch that one in a couple of weeks.

Official weekend estimate for Valerian is $17M

aw yeah bombed harder than speed racer

kswiston

I added the missing films to the top 10 above.

$100M is locked for Baby Driver if any were still in doubt.

So Valerian made exactly $17mil?

Because that means Fifth Element made more, opening weekend ($17,031,345)

We have to wait for the actuals. Valerian has a reasonable Sun estimate, so it will be close.

kswiston

Dunkirk is coming in at the low-end of the early estimations, right?

And I guess Apes isn't a crowd pleaser. Hopefully I'll watch that one in a couple of weeks.

aw yeah bombed harder than speed racer

Dunkirk can hold better than estimated on Sunday to bump it up to $51M+

Which is basically what the Friday pointed to. We briefly had reports of a $22M Friday which would have led to a weeknd over $55M.

SMH at all of ya'll getting exciting to see Valerian still.
I hope you enjoy it more than I did. :)
Damn

I gotta see it again.

Edit: wait you didn't feel that way about The Mummy?
Valerian isn't the worst movie I've seen this year, but it has some of the most laughably bad material I've seen. Everyone is pretty terrible, from a bored Clive Owen to Cara Delevingne who almost caused a singularity with her lack of chemistry with anyone. But Dane DeHaan... my god, legitimately puts on the worst performance I've seen this year.

And the movie has dialogue about love that is 50 times cornier than Interstellar.
Wow.

Fight me irl.
tumblr_omscmfIaii1r3nw1vo1_500.gif

AndersK

Valerian isn't the worst movie I've seen this year, but it has some of the most laughably bad material I've seen. Everyone is pretty terrible, from a bored Clive Owen to Cara Delevingne who almost caused a singularity with her lack of chemistry with anyone.

I sorta get why Hollywood wants to make Cara happen; Young, Hot, etc etc. she's just not...very interesting whenever she's acting. I'm almost on the verge of avoiding a movie is she's cast, the last few have been stinkers.

sense

Real shame that homecoming came in ahead of valerian and apes.
Homecoming deserves it. I liked apes too but it was not what I hoped for as I expected something more grand for the end of a trilogy.

Pirates came and went without any sort of hype in the US and it has made so much money looking at worldwide figures. Crazy

Lima

It'll also help that it has premium Imax format screens for the whole August I believe. Should bring in a steady amount.

They have movies with Batgril, Aquaman and Suicide Squad planned, but no new Superman movie?

WTF??

He's one of the bigest (if not the bigest) hero of DC with Batman.

Uhhh

I hate to break it to ya buddy but the biggest hero of DC is *now* Wondy or Bats.

By box office alone it's Wonder Woman currently.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Please, Wonder Woman has not supplanted Superman.

I like that we're not pretending she's a completely unknown character anymore but let's not go too far in the opposite direction.

I do wonder what the ceiling is for a Superman movie everyone actually likes. It's been literally decades, so there's really no direct points of reference for the character.

I would think he could at least match Wonder Woman domestically, but I think worldwide is where you'd see the bigger difference.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Please, Wonder Woman has not supplanted Superman.

I like that we're not pretending she's a completely unknown character anymore but let's not go too far in the opposite direction.
Wonder Woman is a box office bonanza. Warner Bros. has tried and failed to make a good Superman movie for 40 years. Diana wins this one.

Anth0ny

I do wonder what the ceiling is for a Superman movie everyone actually likes. It's been literally decades, so there's really no direct points of reference for the character.

I would think he could at least match Wonder Woman domestically, but I think worldwide is where you'd see the bigger difference.

I think it's in much the same position as Spider-Man right now... even if they make a new one and it's great, it'll be coming off so much garbage that it'll "under-perform" at the box office.

I think it's in much the same position as Spider-Man right now... even if they make a new one and it's great, it'll be coming off so much garbage that it'll "under-perform" at the box office.

Right. I guess what I should say is, what's the potential ceiling for a baggage-less Supes, a la The Dark Knight (or presumably Homecoming 2).

Supes probably has more baggage than Batman did when Begins released, at this point.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Valerian isn't the worst movie I've seen this year, but it has some of the most laughably bad material I've seen. Everyone is pretty terrible, from a bored Clive Owen to Cara Delevingne who almost caused a singularity with her lack of chemistry with anyone. But Dane DeHaan... my god, legitimately puts on the worst performance I've seen this year.

And the movie has dialogue about love that is 50 times cornier than Interstellar.
tumblr_omscmfIaii1r3nw1vo1_500.gif

I thought it was absolutely riveting! Who else could make a finale that is nothing but exposition!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Right. I guess what I should say is, what's the potential ceiling for a baggage-less Supes, a la The Dark Knight (or presumably Homecoming 2).

Supes probably has more baggage than Batman did when Begins released, at this point.

Superman '78 adjusted for inflation, 3D, and PLF theaters probably does about ~$600m so I guess that's the ceiling.

The thing is that just like Spider-Man's "under-performance" still puts it above $300 million, I would argue that a good Superman movie "under-performing" probably ends up at about where Diana probably will ($400 million or so). Open higher, shorter legs, but probably about the same total, at least domestically.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's super disappointing for Apes. I absolutely loved that film.

Top Bottom