• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

lol

Repurposing a scraped HTC project is probably not the most rewarding job in the world.

i bet coming from amazon to design this slab of glass on the back... isn't what he originally signed on for.

The Xperia Play had a great concept but terrible execution. But of course we are talking about Sony where making bad decisions comes second nature.

a modern one of that would be kinda rad.

RoKKeR

Gboard now with the rounded edges keyboard. Hmm.

Also, does anybody here use the app Music Mate (not the music videos one) to store songs from GPM as MP3's locally on their device? It simply doesn't open for me anymore and I don't see it on the store... probably not a good sign.

Groof

lemme just take a minute to hate on amoled. good tech but honestly, when one part of your screen has whites that actually look white while the rest looks like creamy doo doo butter because of burn in then it's time to reconsider

looking forward to all the "b-b-b-but i've owned amoled devices for thousands of years and never had burn in!!!!!" replies

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
lemme just take a minute to hate on amoled. good tech but honestly, when one part of your screen has whites that actually look white while the rest looks like creamy doo doo butter because of burn in then it's time to reconsider

looking forward to all the "b-b-b-but i've owned amoled devices for thousands of years and never had burn in!!!!!" replies
Your phone is defective in many ways. Here's just one more way. It's certainly not the norm with AMOLED.

Jeffrey

i mean, phones have warranties.

Or just switch phones every month or 2 like me.

won't experience 'lag' or 'battery issues' or 'burn-in' that way.

reKon

Banned

what kind of high contrast wall paper are you using? actually, forget that question. Your shit is broken.

Groof

materialistic solution

what kind of high contrast wall paper are you using? actually, forget that question. Your shit is broken.
nah man, every amoled device i've had has become like this sooner or later. meanwhile any lcd device still look the same as the day i got them.

Husker86

nah man, every amoled device i've had has become like this sooner or later. meanwhile any lcd device still look the same as the day i got them.

So, shitty? ;)

I speak no lies when I say my S6 and Pixel XL have no color inconsistencies across the screen, and I'm a developer, so the screens are on all day (I'll let you exclude the S6 since it has hardware buttons, but I'm still not convinced AMOLED sucks).

If you look close, on an all white video on YouTube, my 6P has a slight color difference where the nav bar is. By slight, I mean you gotta know what you're looking for to see it.

My Nexus 6, on the other hand...there's some shit there. Like..I can still see the navigation button icons type of shit.

In the end, AMOLED wins for me personally. The Nexus 6 is probably at a point where I'd say the color inconsistencies are annoying, though.

Groof

So, shitty? ;)

I speak no lies when I say my S6 and Pixel XL have no color inconsistencies across the screen, and I'm a developer, so the screens are on all day (I'll let you exclude the S6 since it has hardware buttons, but I'm still not convinced AMOLED sucks).

If you look close, on an all white video on YouTube, my 6P has a slight color difference where the nav bar is. By slight, I mean you gotta know what you're looking for to see it.

My Nexus 6, on the other hand...there's some shit there. Like..I can still see the navigation button icons type of shit.

In the end, AMOLED wins for me personally. The Nexus 6 is probably at a point where I'd say the color inconsistencies are annoying, though.

now i'm not saying amoled sucks, like i said it's good tech. and i get this is an issue majority of people won't ever notice or even experience considering the turn rate of phones these days.

but it's still an issue, and i don't want to one day open a document and see that part of my screen has a different hue than the rest. it's infuriating and ugly.

hol up i feel like i'm being way too level headed for this thread. let me reiterate:
AMOLED IS THE WORST SHIT EVER

ArchAngel

Agree, out of 6 AMOLED phones, every single one had burn in. Even at work I can show everyone who tells me they don't have it that they have it. AMOLED is shit and will always be until this is fixed.

LeleSocho

Banned
I sincerely cannot live with an amoled as my daily driver, i would get mad every time i pick up the phone because my eyes would always go for the inevitable problem the screen presents plus the mockery from people saying i'm exaggerating and that can't see anything because they just don't care.
I hate having defective stuff.

NeOak

Your phone is defective in many ways. Here's just one more way. It's certainly not the norm with AMOLED.

ㅑi'm never talking to you again
giphy.gif

What's the longest period you had a phone?
I sincerely cannot live with an amoled as my daily driver, i would get mad every time i pick up the phone because my eyes would always go for the inevitable problem the screen presents plus the mockery from people saying i'm exaggerating and that can't see anything because they just don't care.
I hate having defective stuff.
You won't even see such an issue until 1.5 years out.

Jeffrey

What's the longest period you had a phone?

I generally stick with a phone for 2 years in the past lol.

Didn't really start exploring the wonders of cheap Android until last year ish.

And now I make 2.5x more than my previous gig I can explore pricer things too.

New blackberry key one preview units are out for youtubers. Still seems nice. Might pick up when on sale.

Man Google play music is still annoying when it comes to uploading my own music. I hate edited/censored music. I don't own a single clean version of an album so why does it keep matching me with clean versions? And now I have to re-rip these damn CDs to get it to actually upload the right thing. There should be an option to have it never do any matching with what's on Google Play.

I'm just ranting, but damn yo. Listening to some hip-hop/rap and hearing these not insignificant moments of muted lyrics is really annoying.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...top-hardware-executive-it-poached-from-amazon
David Foster, a key executive Google recruited from Amazon.com Inc. in October as part of its aggressive hardware effort, has left the company.

A Google spokeswoman confirmed Foster's departure, but declined to comment further. At Amazon, he led development of Kindle tablets, the Echo voice-activated speaker and other devices. He was a marquee hire for Alphabet Inc.'s Google, made just as the internet search giant unfurled the first wave of its own branded devices. Foster didn't immediately respond to a LinkedIn message seeking comment.

At Google, Foster stepped into a new role, vice president of hardware product development, working on the company's Pixel smartphone and Home speaker, an Echo competitor. His sudden exit marks a setback for Google's gadget ambitions -- the company is planning to release at least two new Pixel smartphone models this fall, according to a person familiar with the company's plans, who asked not to be identified discussing private matters.

Foster had reported to Rick Osterloh, the former Motorola executive Google hired last year. Google isn't planning to replace Foster, a person familiar with the company's plans said. Before Amazon, Foster worked at hardware groups at Microsoft Corp. and Apple.

reKon

Banned
I don't really lol.

But honestly any phone these days that aren't as ambitious about bezel as Samsung and LG, will really make me lose interest out of the gate, at least on hardware.

It's kind of sad. I don't want any other phone that don't look as good as these. As amazing as the S7 Edge has been for me, I might fuck around and buy a cheap Exynos S8 off contract 8 months from now if there was some kind of amazing deal. Or maybe the Andy Rubin phone comes out of nowhere and floors us all.

LeleSocho

Banned
You won't even see such an issue until 1.5 years out.

I see problems with phones right out of the box by the time one and a half year passes i would have probably sent the phone to the manufacturer to change the screen just like when i had my last AMOLED phone... actually it was 6 months in and i had to make up stuff because they wouldn't consider the stuff i had as problems.

reKon

Banned
I know a bunch of people here have been waiting for cheaper decently spec'd Android tablets. Well, I'm pretty sure that Adus Zenpad 3S 10 9.7 inch is that tablet... I watched a YouTube video review and was shocked how fast the performance was on that mediatek processor.

Great build quality, very good speakers for a tablet, good screen, 64GB storage, expandable storage option, finger print scanner, fantastic performance. The gripes I have is that the battery life is merely decent and it's still not on Nougat. I think they have starting pushing Nougat to the other older Zenpad models so I'd assume that this would get an upgrade as well, seeing that they don't a lot of tablets and this would be considered a premium offering for them. It will just probably take some more time before they push it.

I'm still deciding whether I should keep my Windows tablet, pursue a 2 in 1 Chromebook or go back to an Android tablet that's priced well.

The only issue with my Windows tablet is the size when using as tablet and the idle battery drain. Everything else has been fantastic, especially with peformance. The only thing preventing me from the new iPad is the lack of a remote play app and the forced use of iTunes to transfer files. Not even going to look at an S3 unless it drops to $400 or below. Pixel C at $599 is a joke. Maybe at $350 Google... Just maybe..

reKon

Banned
I'll DL now. Thanks.

UPDATE: THANK YOU GUYS! GBoard is fantastic.

make sure to take advantage of the customization features. It's worth going through. My favorites were changing the color to all black theme, reducing delay on key press down, and enabling the option of swiping on the space bar to move the cursor.

Jeffrey

Seems rumors on the grapevines at Foxconn that iPhone 8 might miss 2017 lol.

Trying to get a fingerprint sensor under the screen is having a lot of casualties.

reKon

Banned
I know a bunch of people here have been waiting for cheaper decently spec'd Android tablets. Well, I'm pretty sure that Adus Zenpad 3S 10 9.7 inch is that tablet... I watched a YouTube video review and was shocked how fast the performance was on that mediatek processor.

Great build quality, very good speakers for a tablet, good screen, 64GB storage, expandable storage option, finger print scanner, fantastic performance. The gripes I have is that the battery life is merely decent and it's still not on Nougat. I think they have starting pushing Nougat to the other older Zenpad models so I'd assume that this would get an upgrade as well, seeing that they don't a lot of tablets and this would be considered a premium offering for them. It will just probably take some more time before they push it.

I'm still deciding whether I should keep my Windows tablet, pursue a 2 in 1 Chromebook or go back to an Android tablet that's priced well.

The only issue with my Windows tablet is the size when using as tablet and the idle battery drain. Everything else has been fantastic, especially with peformance. The only thing preventing me from the new iPad is the lack of a remote play app and the forced use of iTunes to transfer files. Not even going to look at an S3 unless it drops to $400 or below. Pixel C at $599 is a joke. Maybe at $350 Google... Just maybe..

Well would you look at that. The tablet did get Android 7.0. It just has to be manually installed because the OTA update isn't there yet. This is very good news. Reviewers main issue with the tablet was the software and I think that Nougat on Asus software is a big improvement. If this goes on sale for $250 I would probably bite...

http://upgrade-nougat.tech/2016/11/asus-zenpad-3s-10-z500m-8218.html

Zoe

Ugh, my phone (Nexus 6) has gotten so unstable these days. It's freezing daily requiring a hard reboot, and everytime that happens I have to reboot again in order to wipe the cache partition so my battery stats work again. That leads me to think it is a problem with the battery, but because it almost always happens while I'm driving that makes me think it's network related too (it's better though not completely fine when I turn off WiFi).

I actually haven't been using this phone for long (half a year?), but I know it's already old. Guess I'll start researching upgrades :\

clav

Ugh, my phone (Nexus 6) has gotten so unstable these days. It's freezing daily requiring a hard reboot, and everytime that happens I have to reboot again in order to wipe the cache partition so my battery stats work again. That leads me to think it is a problem with the battery, but because it almost always happens while I'm driving that makes me think it's network related too (it's better though not completely fine when I turn off WiFi).

I actually haven't been using this phone for long (half a year?), but I know it's already old. Guess I'll start researching upgrades :\

Majority in here is going to shout in your face about Samsung Galaxy S8.

Other than that, if you have a budget of how much to spend + what network provider you use, maybe some people can throw in other suggestions.

Seems rumors on the grapevines at Foxconn that iPhone 8 might miss 2017 lol.

Trying to get a fingerprint sensor under the screen is having a lot of casualties.

But I think they should still go for it. Release the annual iPhones this year while give us no bezel, on screen fingerprint one, whenever it is ready.

Jeffrey

feels like this sentiment is repeated over and over yet everyone is still obsessed with specs
People still obsess over updates too lol for these features that Samsung or LG have had for years.

I feel like smartphones is in a weird spot atm for me... Samsung has the annoying unresponsiveness at times while the faster phones have... Bezels.

Give me that Jesus phone already apple.

reKon

Banned
People still obsess over updates too lol for these features that Samsung or LG have had for years.

I feel like smartphones is in a weird spot atm for me... Samsung has the annoying unresponsiveness at times while the faster phones have... Bezels.

With that same boring OS already.

Quasar

Is that the one that charges over the air via routers?

As for delays with the talk of 3 models, I figured the first 2 would be essential the 7S with the third the super expensive one that has OLED and under the screen touch id and delayed and with little stock.

https://youtu.be/PjbqCALqdqk

Op3t still wrecking house in those silly speed tests lol.

We are basically plateauing on how fast these speed tests can go though unless there is a huge leap in memory speed.

Proof, if any was needed, that manufacturer bloat adds nothing and actually detracts from the experience.

The amount of shit on my Note 5 is ridiculous. But if you want the best handset, you've gotta put up with it.

If only LG/HTC/Sony/Huawei would up their game.

Groof

Proof, if any was needed, that manufacturer bloat adds nothing and actually detracts from the experience.

The amount of shit on my Note 5 is ridiculous. But if you want the best handset, you've gotta put up with it.

LG and Samsung have always had the same type of bloat but LG has managed to optimise the software a lot more. it's just that samsung outshines them so much in hardware nobody cares

Jeffrey

I wouldn't say they add nothing. Most of these features are useful and will be added to stock android in 3 years anyways.

Top Bottom